This Was No Accident; This Was A Therapeutic Chain Of Events.

Adelaide Nacht

OOC First Name
Cole
"Doctor Nacht." Voices called, searching all over the hospital; running for a certain blonde whom had just sat down, after her shift last night, she needed it. She was pulling a double shift now, and only had another couple hours to go. She still hadn't eaten anything, and her stomach rumbled lightly. "Yes, Nurse?" She called back, her mouth full of the sloppily made turkey sandwich that she had brought with her. She hadn't expected to do a double, but one of the other doctors had went into labor prematurely, and they needed her to be there. Adelaide couldn't say she had anything better to do, since she only had to move around some boxes in her new apartment. It was a big place, and for only her and her brother, it seemed too large. She needed to get another roommate, but it was the least of her worries. The nurse rushed into the break room. "I'm really sorry about this, but there is a young boy and his father outside, we can't get the boy to come with us without his dad, and it's against protocol to have him if the kid is contagious, so?" Adelaide swallowed the last of the sandwich quickly, took a drink of her water, and stood up. "I'll be right out, keep them in the lobby." She then brushed her pink scrubs off and headed from the break room, her feet throbbing as she walked.

Adelaide had readjusted her ponytail, but it was still obvious that exhaustion was getting the better of her. She had worked two doubles this past week already; but this had to be the straw that broke the camels back. She had the rest of the week off after this, and all she wanted to do with her time off was sleep. She approached a boy, who was tightly wrapped around his father's legs. Adelaide smiled right at the boy, not even looking at the father yet. When she got up to him she noticed he looked pale; obviously sick. It was a good thing they'd brought him in. "Hey you, what's your name?" She asked, though the boy had no responses. "That's okay, my name is Adelaide, but you can call me Addy." She gave him a smile and stood. "You can always come back here with him if it would make him more comfortable." This wasn't normally how they did the first part, especially if it was contagious, but Adelaide knew what she was doing, so none of the nurses had objections. Addy's eyes locked with the father's, and she gave him a warm, assuring smile.

Yossarian felt as though his heart was beating in his throat. He didn't know how it happened. He had been working more than he should have lately, long nights in the lab meant that Nicodemus had to remain by himself for many hours at a time, sometimes the rest of the night. Yossarian had thought that he was old enough to keep himself warm at least. However, since coming to New Zealand, Yossarian had been spending even less time with his son, deciding to deal with his youngest brother and questioning the wizard on what to do about Nicodemus. Yossarian had never had any formal magical education - not even owning a wand. He knew a few things, some potions and herbs, he knew a few spells (not that he could cast them) but otherwise had little knowledge to offer his obviously magical offspring. He sighed as Nicodemus cling to him like a wet shirt, and he attempted to pray his son from his body. To his surprise, the blond haired boy had a surprising grip. "Nicci, I promise everything will be fine. If they can't help, I will take you to Uncles." Jasper would probably know something. He had kids, and he had magic. He could make some potion or wave his wand or something. Yossairan didn't know, but he was sure that Jasper could do something, or atleast knew someone.

"No, you don't understand, Miss," he said, speaking to some young nurse that was attempting to get Nicodemus away from him. "Don't tell me to 'calm down' - I am calm, thank you very much, and who are you to tell me anything - you're barely out of diapers. He isn't going anywhere without me, do you understand?" What was she, twenty? She was definitely not old enough to be telling him where he should take and leave his son. Nicodemus was like this because he had neglected him, he wasn't about to make that mistake again. "You go do your job and get a flaming doctor. Go on, get!" His son needed medical attention, not some young upstart arguing with his father. At this rate, just getting into contact with Jasper would be better than waiting around here. Another nurse came around, trying to convince Nicodemus that everything would be okay. Rolling his eyes, Yossarian looked at the nurse sternly. "He doesn't speak English. He doesn't understand a damn thing you're saying."

In Yossarian's opinion, it took far too long for a sensible person to appear. She was an older woman, older than these young nurses he had been previously arguing with. She looked quite young, especially around the face. She was also very petite, but held herself as someone that knew what she was doing. Such confidence was gained over experience, and Yossarian responded favourably to it, causing Nicodemus to relax a little. As she spoke to his son, he shook his head. "He doesn't speak English," he explained, his head running through the boy's hair. "His name is Nicodemus," he added. Nicodemus muttered a bewildered greeting in Russian, but little else. "I don't know what's wrong with him. A few days ago he was complaining of a cold. He often gets some sniffles when we travel." He wasn't sure what it was, but Nicodemus had be coughing his guts up far too long for Yossarian to ignore. He was terrified of losing his only child. He was literally all the man had left.​
<i>
</i>

Adelaide wanted to crawl back inside of her bed, and when she did she would apologize to it, and promise never to leave it for this long again. The blonde looked up at the man, who was about a whole head taller than she was. However, she did er best not to show intimidation. As a doctor, Adelaide had learned that confidence was key into being respected. She presented herself with good posture, and a pleasant smile; and it worked out well for her. Addy looked again at the boy and gave him the same warm smile that she had presented to his father. She was analyzing him, but only briefly. Pale, looked a bit sweaty; was most likely running a fever. It was not something to worry about, unless he'd been throwing up. Then there may be a few concerns. The flu always seemed to hit children the hardest after all.

Adelaide nodded at the man, and introduced herself. "I'm Doctor Nacht, Adelaide though, that's what you can call me if you'd like." Addy wasn't sure why she was so tongue tied all of a sudden. It was as if her ability to speak simple English had flown out the window. The young blonde tossed some of her bangs back, as they fell from her pony tail. The clip that she had been using earlier was most likely next to her half full water bottle. She then acknowledged that the boy didn't speak English, and was happy to hear a few familiar words fall from his mouth. "I'm Addy, I am going to help you feel better." She spoke back, in obvious broken Russian. It was still understandable, though. She had been studying the language for quite some time now, after all. A few nurses smiled at her when they heard the language, knowing she'd been studying it since she had received her internship. She had wanted something to set her apart from the other doctors, and a third language (her other two being German and English) under her belt would do just that.

Addy motioned for the two to join her on the way to the room where she'd set them up. It was one of her favorite hospital rooms, as it had a few recognizable stuffed animals, and gave a more friendly feel. The colors, while being a neutral color, were still very vibrant, and calming; sage, which was one of Addy's top five favorite colors, were the color of the wall. She allowed the boy to sit down, and his father to stand next to him, even offering him a chance to pull up a chair beside him. "I'm so sorry I didn't ask your name out there, i have a few papers that I need you to fill out, but if you really believe this is urgent, it can be done while we speak or after." She offered. Adelaide wasn't the typical muggle doctor, as she understood that sometimes urgency meant urgency. Had the doctors not seen her quickly after her accident, who knows how much blood she would have lost. Addy subconsciously rubbed the scar on her jawline, but then stopped, to listen to what Yossarian had to tell her about his son; or brother. Somehow Addy doubted brother would be accurate, and it seemed a shame. Adelaide typed up a bit of a report while listening to him, upset with herself for even thinking about anything that didn't ave to do with her patient.

"Sir, often times traveling puts a strain on the immune system, and makes it difficult to recover if one is already sick. If it was more than a cold it could have turned into an infection, but children always seem to bounce back pretty quickly from things such as this." She took out her stethoscope and listened to his heart, asking him to breathe in Russian, even if she was pronouncing the word as breath, the child still gathered what she was saying.

Yossarian took note of the doctor's name, and looked back down at Nicodemus, who was currently absorbing all of his attention. It was rare for his son to be ill - he was generally a healthy boy, which was why he was allowed to remain hoe if he pleased. Yossarian understood that boy's didn't like being cooped up in labs, watching their father's scan and attempt to translate a bunch of scrolls that they would never be allowed to touch. Sometimes he would let Nicodemus join him, but these artefacts were very precious, and he couldn't afford to have Nicci playing around with them and possibly causing serious damage to these priceless items. "I am Yossarian Magonus. This is my son." He rubbed Nicodemus' shoulders soothingly. The boy was not yet in tears - trying to be the epitome of 'tough boy', but having raised him, Yossarian knew that his son was anything but tough, he was a very gentle soul. He was, however, impressed that she spoke Russian, even if she pronounced some words questionably. He understood what she meant, and he knew that Nicodemus would understand as well. He led his son to where she was taking them. Obviously, this doctor understood the importance of this situation to him. Perhaps she had her own children. He found that the particularly empathetic doctor's often had someone to look after themselves, as they knew that being heartless and by-the-book was total rubbish to a fretting parent.

He sat Nicodemus down, and pulled a chair to sit beside his son, who promptly held his hand. The room was nice enough, much better than the waiting room. The waiting room reminded him that this was, indeed, a hospital, where his daughter's and wife had perished. He squeezed his son's hand supportively, and watched the doctor go about her business. At the mention of papers, he released a sigh and nodded. "I will fill them out later if you don't mind." He did not want to have to be writing right now, he wasn't sure he would be able to keep his hand steady enough. The last time he stepped into a hospital was when his oldest daughter finally died from her injuries, and he had avoided these places since them. They seeped with sickness. He failed to truly acknowledge her caressing of her scar, as his attention was divided unequally between her and Nicodemus, with Nicci taking the majority of his attention. He seemed to be reaching another coughing-fit, which had ended up with him throwing up a little, but he seemed to stop himself before he began. It was times like these that Yossarian felt that perhaps he could do more with his magical abilities, perhaps look at doing some sort of late study, or reading a book, or even asking a sibling for support.

With his jaw set firm, the man nodded stoically as she spoke. "Nicodemus and I arrived here a few weeks ago. He was perfectly fine during the journey and was fine afterwards. The last few days I have been very busy, and today his health deteriorated drastically." His arm was back around his son's shoulders as the doctor checked the boy's heart. "If anything needs to be done, tell me. A change of diet, scenery, staying over night, surgery - anything that will help him, do it." He may have been overeating, as he had no idea how serious this was - if it in fact were serious to begin with - but he just wanted his little boy happy and healthy.
<i></i>

Son, of course. Adelaide had a knack for guessing things like that. They had the same jawline. She smiled at him, understanding why he didn't extend his hand to her. A nurse, one that seemed timid, came into the room and spoke to Doctor Nacht briefly, asking her if she'd need any Iv's. Addy told her yes, but only a saline solution and a water drip, something to keep him hydrated while he stayed here. In children as young as his son, they almost always kept them overnight. They wanted to be sure that nothing came of their illnesses. "It's nice to meet you, Mr. Magonus, though I of course wish it were under better circumstances." She looked at her computer. "How old is your son, then?" She asked, knowing she would have to weigh him, though as the boy began coughing, she knew now was not a good time. Adelaide reacted as quickly as possible, though only barely caught some light bile in her hands, which hadn't been gloved yet. Addy closed her eyes for a second and smiled; "It's okay, this is normal." She reassured the boy in Russian, as many children may be embarrassed or upset by this.

Adelaide made her way over to the sink and began to wash her hands, using twice as much soap as normal, then sanitizing them, and washing them again. If he was sick, she wanted to make sure that she didn't stand a chance of catching what he had. "I need." She thought for a moment, trying to remember her Russian. "Can you ask him to step on the scale, I'm sorry, but my Russian is rusty." Once the boy had made his way to the scale, she weighed him, and wrote down what she could. "I have to have his weight before we give him any sort of medicine." She explained, knowing that it was the father she needed to reassure the most. She was listening close to his lungs, and heard rattling. She asked him to open his mouth, though did not use a tongue depresser, for worry that he may vomit again. Se nodded and smiled at the father, wrapping the stethoscope around her neck. "You'll be pleased to know that there is nothing you need to worry about with your son. He has a mild case of pneumonia, that's all. I can keep him here overnight, get him on a saline drip, and give him some charcoal and other medication, to make sure that the lungs are cleared up. It was probably due to climate changes; even minor ones can make you sick."

Adelaide had long ago called a nurse in and hooked the young boy up to the IV. She and the boy now sat together, as she had stayed hours after her shift, talking with him. She had found out little bits and pieces about his father, and the boy hadn't thrown up in some time. She gave him his medicine again when the time came, allowing the father to sleep. Adelaide only left long enough to get the man a blanket, and drape it over him. Afterwords she returned to the boys side, who seemed to not want any doctor other than her to be in there. Adelaide, with that thought in her mind, fell asleep next to the boy; having been up for quite a few hours strait, and the boy soon fell asleep next to her and his father.

Nicodemus was terrified. He felt very ill, and wanted to return home to sleep. he didn't want to be here anymore. He hated hospitals. Nicci knew that if his father had of taken him to Uncle Jasper, he would feel better. Uncle Jasper would be able to do something, what could this hospital do? his mother and sister's went to hospital, and where were they now? They weren't with him anymore. The blond boy clung to his father for emotional, and physical support. His knees were shaking and his stomach was flip-flopping around inside of him. his trembling hand rested on his abdomen when he felt it rumble. He was sure he had nothing left in his anymore, and just wanted to stop feeling so bad. He looked bewilderedly at the people trying to talk to him, not knowing what they were saying. All that came from their mouths was a string of convoluted words that meant nothing to him. In response to them, he clung tighter to his father, feeling somewhat comforted by the familiar Russian that came from his father's lips. He only knew Italian and Russian, he didn't know very much English at all. He didn't want to remain here, as he couldn't understand anyone. Would his father translate everything to him? Or leave out the important stuff?

Nicodemus was lead by his father further into the hospital. He clung to him for protection and warmth, before staring like a dear at the doctor who attempted to speak to him. He simply hung closer to his father, and only moved when he did. The doctor did, however, speak Russian - well, some Russian. That was comforting. He followed along with his father as Addy lead them to a better looking, much more comforting room. It helped him try and ignore the fact that he was still in a hospital, where people went when they were sick and rarely left. He sat down, and tried to listen to his father and Addy, but failed to understand the two adults. Still holding onto his father, Nicodemus felt a surge in his stomach, and somehow brought up more fluid that he didn't know the name of. It wasn't food - he had lost all of that. He felt his eyes water at the taste and horrible feeling that wasted over him, making him feel worse. He didn't care if it was 'normal' he didn't want it. When his father later instructed him to stand on scales, he tilted his head at him. Was he fat? Nicci didn't think he was fat. Was he too thin? Nicci didn't think he was too thin either. He looked over his shoulder at his father, a small frown set on his pale face. "What's wrong?" he asked, slouching slightly when his father simply gestured for him to calm down. Easy for him to say. And then Nicodemus was sized up for medication, but in a bed to be pricked and prodded, and, worst of all, told that he would have to stay here. Over night.

Nicodemus had hated the hospital, and still did. Now he had an IV hanging out of them, and it blipped and bleeped and made loud noises if he moved. It was terrible. His father, however, had long fallen asleep by his side. He refused to leave him, rathering to just sit in the chair beside his bed and hold small talk with him, recounting their travels to him in Russian, and talking about what he had been studying lately in the laboratory, and all that stuff. He never, ever spoke about his life in Russia, and Nicci felt he was missing something. He knew he wasn't like other kids, which was why he was separated by other children, and the fact that children were cruel and immature and mean, and he couldn't stand to be around them. He liked older people, they were always nicer to him. He looked over at the doctor quietly, trying to look like he wasn't looking at her. He didn't like anyone else. He wanted her to be there if a doctor had to be. Trying to think about a greeting, he looked at her directly, and smiled.

"Hel-" he paused, then nodded as if to confirm himself. "Hello."

Adelaide's head was all but swimming by the end of the night, and her nape was merely a power nap. She had been told that she should go home and didn't need to be there, but she couldn't leave. Instead, she got herself some coffee, and washed up in the residence showers. Once she felt clean, and had changed into a blue version of her scrubs, she headed back to the hospital room where the man slept by his son. It was heartwarming to see something like this. She wasn't sure what it was that kept her walking over to the father, maybe it was the uncomfortable chair. She wanted to wake him, but she didn't. The blanket she'd provided was falling down, and she reached out to adjust it. She wanted him to be comfortable if he was staying this dedicated to his son. Her eyes drifted to his uncovered hands. Was this in poor taste, to even look to see if he was still married? When she saw there wasn't a ring, she felt sad; for both the man and his son. Divorce must have been hard, if that was even what happened. There was always a choice for something worse, but Addy didn't want to think too strongly on that.

Adelaide made her way back across the room, feeling eyes on her. Was it the man, or his son? She sipped from the coffee, and turned with a warm smile. "It's late, and you need rest." She said, after his hello; it was obvious though that she was willing to talk to him if he wanted to speak to her. Adelaide was always kind enough to converse with er patients, even if she was tired. She wanted to make them feel welcomed in the hospital; it made the healing process easier. She sat beside his bead. "How feeling, are you?" She asked, her grammar a bit choppy, and it was evident in her lack of confidence that she knew it was. Her ponytail draped around her shoulder, covering her scars for the most part. Addy, however, didn't worry when she spoke to kids, as tey rarely noticed her scars at all. And if they did, kids were much less likely to stare at them. It was something she loved about working with younger patients.

She hadn't even let the surprise of his English register until now. "That was good English." She complimented, wondering if he knew anymore English. It was possible that he did, haven't lived with his father whom had very god English skills. Her blue green eyes shone with kindness and interest, as she held her hot coffee; just trying to make it until the boy and his father left.

Nicodemus slouched slightly when told that he should rest. He had been resting, and now he didn't need anymore rest. When comfortable, and not having to worry about his father, he could be a very personable and energetic person, and he wanted to how that to this nice doctor. He liked her very much. He rested back against the bed, and folded his arms across his chest. He still didn't like it here, and he wanted to leave, but he wanted to stay with this doctor, but he wanted to get his father home. He wanted to go home. He smirked slightly at her attempt to further communicate with him. He thought she was pretty good, way better than he assumed he was at speaking English. He rarely ever spoke English, but had been doing so recently since he came here, as his uncle insisted he try and pick the language up better. But it was such a pain. He answered her in English, as he was determined to show his English speaking skills! "Go-od." That sounded about right. He was feeling fine, still a little sick, but not nearly as bad as he had been. Whatever they did to him was working.

His smirked turned into a grin when he received a compliment. He liked compliments - who didn't like compliments? They were compliments! "You're Russian okay," he responded quickly, slightly tripping over his own words, but he managed. He looked around as his monitor continued to beep, letting everyone know that his heart was beating and not just lying around in there. "When can... I? Leave?" He wasn't sure if he used the right terms.He had trouble with the numerous pronouns, even though his father said that they were simple. They weren't simple to him.
<i></i>

Adelaide could see Nicodemus slouching slightly. He was a kid, of course he didn't want to be told to go to bed, or to rest. Most children didn't. Even as a young girl, living in the community with her younger siblings, she learned this. Addy gave a very soft smile to the young boy and crossed the room. The nicest thing about the hospital was the vending machine's for drinks. They were on every corner, and in this case, right outside the door. All she had to do was peek around the corner to get herself a drink. She smacked the diet coke button gently, her hands just big enough to almost bump another button. She still paid attention to the silent child as she knelt to grab the drink. She needed something, she was exhausted. She sat down next to the bed again, and cracked the can. Breakfast for the child would be in soon, she wondered if she should wake the father. That was when Nico surprised her a little bit; in a good way. She nodded at his English. It was nice that he seemed to be learning. "Good." She responded back.

Addy tilted her head back as she drank, and ten once again glanced to the father. She couldn't help but keep thinking about the lack of ring on his finger. She then giggled a little. "Thank you." She understood what he meant. "Your English is also good." She then heard his next question and thought. "After breakfast." The food would be there soon, she wanted to monitor if he could keep his food down or not. If not, she may have to keep him there. She didn't want to though. "I will get you outta here as fast as possible."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back