There & Again

Edward Neill

OOC First Name
Timmeh
Wand
14" Maple Wood Wand Essence of Pheonix Dust
The sun was birght that Friday morning. The birds awoke long ago, but still chirped away. Only a few clouds floated along the blue seas of the sky. It was a good morning and Eddie felt great. Even though he was middle-aged, he had some days where he felt at least 80 years of age. However, today was different. Today, he felt 20 again. It wasn't like he was "old looking," it was just he was beginning to feel the effects of...oldness. Eddie was at one of the local parks, walking on a trail. He was wearing loose-fit jeans, and a polo shirt. People were out and about and with really good reason. Anyone who wouldn't want to take advantage of this nice day would be out of their mind!

As he walked the trail, he passed many. Some he knew, but just barely. After all, he had only just moved back from Scotland. He said a hi or two, but mostly just smiled as he passed them. His hand's were in his pockets, and he was walking at a slower pace than most. Infact many people passed him up on the trail. Some of them looked a bit annoyed, but that didn't bother him. Not today anyways. Nothing would bother him.

He finally came upon the beach which was why he took that trail. It was a connection between a nice rest area, and a nice place to just swim maybe. He had been to this beach in previous years and it had not at all lost a touch of it's prettyiness. Many people lay bathing and many children & adults were swiming. A lifguard or two were seen and hapiness was in the air. Pure, and utter hapinesss.

Corinne Kolpeck felt like a fish out of water for the first time in her life. Her father had basically ordered her to take a few days break from the hospital and considering the man was the director at St. Mungo's it went without saying that she had to obey him. Of course she did give the usual excuses, her patients needed her, it was short notice and a replacement would not be found in time; her tray of paperwork was in dire need of attendance; she had even resorted to the excessive influx of patients to the accident and emergency room knowing full well that this was a sore point with her father. No matter how many healers were on duty the A&E never seemed quite controllable. Samson Kolpeck however knew his daughter all too well, knew the pressures she put herself under. Knew that her life consisted of drifting from work to home and back again. She needed a break before she herself broke. Giving her a mere day had not been sufficient, not now when Moko their ward was also up in arms attempting to track down the monster who had mangled a man to death and cursed another. The women in his life were near breaking point and though he could not help Moko in this instance, he could help Corinne and sending her away from Obsidian had been the best idea the man had come up with in an age.

Corinne looked out upon the foaming waves that crashed upon the shore and sighed. The day was beautiful, the laughter of children playing drifted along the beach to her and she smiled to herself watching others splash about in the water. Watching families together always caused a desperate pang in her heart, a reminder of the life that had not been hers. Closing her eyes she lay out across her beach towel and allowed the warmth of the sun to kiss her skin. It felt wonderful to be this carefree, to be this anything! For as long as she could remember she had pushed herself at her job and done little else. Was it time to consider another course for her life to take? The past day she had so far spent at the seaside retreat was indeed heavenly but she did not think she could spend all her life squandered away by the seashore. A gentle breeze blew and soon she felt something bump against her side. Sitting up again and readjusting her sunglasses so that they perched atop her head, Corinne looked to the beach ball beside her and then to a young child racing along the strand towards it.

With a smile she stood up but knew instinctively she should have kept a hand on it, the breeze buffeted the light ball again and tossed it across the golden sand. Feeling bad that she had not anchored the ball in place for the young girl, Corinne waved her hand to her indicating she hoped that she would retrieve it. As she took off after the escaping toy she tried to recall the last time she ran so willfully along the seashore and knew it had been long ago, another time and another place. Back in England when she had been a small girl herself. The ball rolled recklessly before pausing to bob a moment, convinced she could catch it she all but pounced upon the toy only to have it move off once again.

As he walked, Edward scanned the beach. It was such a pretty sight. The bright Sun's rays hit the nice blue water with a very nice glimmering effect. It was truly beautiful. Simply astonishing that such natures could make a more wondrous sight to see by the eye of a wizard or witch. It was really, a sight to see. A single tree suddenly blew in the wind and there was a slight, but refreshing breeze in the air. It was nice. Everything about today was nice. He wondered if today would possibly be the best day of his life. His long ol' life. In truth, he had no major regrets, except to stay working. He was retired and looking for a job. Now he had more time then ever to walk the beaches and scan the area. He was able to take in all of mother nature and able to take in more of what he really needed...fresh air.

Edward walked on and presently saw someone attempting to catch a beach ball. At first, it was kinda funny. She tried and tried, but the breeze in the air would make the ball seem to float away from her grasp. Ironically, he had his wand on him and pulled it out. HE pointed it at the ball and recited, "Windgardium Levosia." Then, he made it so the ball stayed put and the woman was able to get it. She handed it off to a girl and then that was that. HE decided he'd make conversation this fine day since he hadn't talked with anyone that entire "perfect" day. "Seems you had a little trouble retrieving that ball." Edward said jokingly. He meant no offense with the joke, but he didn't know whether they'd take it that way or be mad.

Corinne chased the ball until it finally made its way near a man, her feet slowly halted as she saw he had a wand out and hastily she looked about her to make sure that the girl did not see. Thankfully she was further away and Corinne was blocking any view she might have had of the item. There were so many muggles on this beach that brandishing a wand was a sure way to attract all sorts of trouble. Her own was neatly and safely tucked away in her beach bag beside her towel, she could easily have used it if she had wanted too or even used a non verbal incantation to summon the beach ball back but she was here on vacation and had enjoyed the brief exhilaration that the run had induced.

The ball was levitated into her outstretched arms and without looking at him she turned directly to the girl who had continued to run towards her.
"Here is your ball" she grinned receiving a hearty thank you and a delightful giggle for her efforts. Corinne waited until the girl had begun running back along the beach before turning to regard the man. He was handsome, devastatingly so but what was that worth when he was so obviously stupid. Infuriated she walked closer to him as he joked about her not being able to retrieve the ball.
"There is good reason for that, the majority of people on this beach are muggles" she berated him, her beautiful hazel eyes flashing angrily at him, "do you want every ministry official down on us because you can't keep your wand in your pants?"

Edward's facial expression went from fun to serious. She was right, he had made a terrible error. "I'm sorry miss, I did have covered though. It's such a nice day, I guess. It kinda slipped my mind. But anyways I don't want the Ministry after me. And you are completly right. I'll leave you too your business and be on my way." He said. His mood had went from plesentness to a mixture of things. He felt stupid. Now he felt today would be... very unwelcoming. He thought of going home, but decided aganst it. He looked back at the woman. She wasn't bad looking. Infact she was attractive.

He decided to go and sit down by one of the picnic benches. He needed to think. Fun time was over and now he had to think of his future. He need not work ever again and would still be more wealthy than most, however he was bored many a days. Many days he sat in his unfinished home and wore a bored look. He had indeed applied to be shopkeeper at Flourish and Blotts, but truthfully, his shopkeeping industry was in wands and wardrobe. Books were not a key point in his history of work. Also, he had no kids. He wanted one. He tried several times to adopt one, but the people didn't see fit do to the fact he used to travel alot. His wife also died...8 years ago. Indeed he was looking. But who? Who would be perfect. It seemed not many and the few who were...were taken.

Corinne felt instantly bad for how she had spoken to the stranger as he move away. She watched him and running an exasperated hand through her hair sighed. He looked about as lost as she usually felt here, she didn't know what possessed her but hoped her sanity would return soon as she called to him.
"Wait... please I can be a little ... " school marmish she wanted to say, a little overbearing and too structured, she desperately needed to loosen up and just enjoy herself but had been working so hard for so long, Corinne was sure she had forgotten the very essence of fun.
"overbearing" she finally admitted, "there was no harm done and I should not have over reacted like that."

Corinne looked at him and willed the blush that was beginning to rise in her face to subside, she was not about to get her head turned by another handsome man. Once bitten, twice shy. She had been down that road already and had failed miserably in her attempt to even begin a relationship. She was destined it seemed to be alone, no matter how much she craved the whole family scenario. No matter how often her heart broke every time she brought another woman's child into the world and wished it was her own. She took a step away herself, as if about to head back up the beach when she turned around again. Still not knowing what was motivating her or why the fates were doing this to her but she seriously felt as if it were out of her hands.
"It is nearly lunch time, I was packing up to return to the house I'm staying at just along the beach. Would you care to join me, your magic will be save there" she smiled at him.

"No need to apologize. You had every right to tell me it was stupid." Edward said. If she hadn't told him to stop, he more than likely would've just kept pushing it. Edward could be very foolish sometimes and needed a slap on the wrist here and there. The emitting happiness from the enviroment around him made him somewhat stupid every here and there. Today, seemed to be one of those days. It made Edward's heart jump when she apologized though, she seemed so stern at first. Then her face became soft to him. She looked like an angel with the sun light emitting on her.

Presently she asked him if he wanted to join her for lunch. At first, Edward was confused at turn of events. He believed today, he would go home sad that he had done such an error on such a beautiful day. And now she was offering for him to join her for lunch. He didn't even know her name! "Well miss, I don't think I ever caught your name." He said winking. It was kind of weird to him that a girl would just offer lunch. It was almost....almost like a blind date. "Incase you were wounding, my name's Edward. YOu can call me Eddie though." He stated.

She didn't really know why she offered a complete stranger lunch at her house but she had, running it through her mind as he asked her name, she could only fathom it was because she felt the trappings of loneliness all too well and could see it mirrored in his own eyes. She held out a hand to him then.
"I am Corinne, Corinne Kolpeck" she told him with a warm smile, he introduced himself then and the smile lingered, "It's a pleasure to meet you Eddie. I just have to ... walk back up the beach to gather my things first, care to join me for a walk?"

She had emphasised the walk so that he understood she couldn't just summon her things to her or apparate herself down the beach to them. Waiting a moment to see if he would care to walk along with her, she found herself hoping that he would. It felt a long time since she had talked with another male adult other than her father or the other healers at the hospital and feared even now that she had forgotten such rudimentary things as a decent conversation.

Edward accepted the hand and smiled at the sound of her name. "Corinne." HE whispered to himself. IT was a very nice name. HE had only remembered one other Corinne he knew. A cousin from Germany, however no where near as pretty as This New Zealand Corinne. SHe asked him for a walk and he jubilantly accepted. THis girl was nice. She was beautiful. He was glad she didn't want to apparate for the embarrassing fact that he did not know how to apparate. He never learned it, but that didn't matter. "I'd love to join you Corinne." He said with a giant smile and a slight show of his somewhat white teeth.

IT dawned on him that maybe today was going to be just as great as he anticipated. A beautiful woman had offered him lunch at where she was staying. This had only happened to him 4 times in his entire life. Now it was happening again, and Edward felt a very special connection. IT just seemed weird. He had this weird sensation in his stomach. He wondered if Corinne was feeling the same way. Why had she offered him lunch after ripping on him for misuse of magic?

She released her hand from his reminding herself not to let it linger longer than necessary, after all he was still a stranger no matter that he had tried to help or not with the beach ball situation. She began to walk slowly back along the beach after he had agreed to joining her, her eyes strayed instantly to the many muggles further on intent on building sandcastles, swimming and playing various beach games. They seemed so content with their lot and yet she could never fathom living without magic in her life.

"Are you from around here?" of course she didn't think so but she wanted to break the ice in the conversation somehow. She wondered how strange he thought her that she would offer so willingly a total stranger food and if this was a common practice of hers. Corinne pushed some hair that blew in the breeze back behind her ear and gazed out to the sea before glancing at the man beside her.
"I'm only here for the weekend myself, a break from the drudgery that is work" she told him, casting a gentle smile his way as her feet made soft indentations in the sand.

Edward smiled as she let go, she was so...pefect. Everything she did seemed so perfect. How she walk, talked, blinked her eyes even. It was a dream come true for him that such a perfect and beautiful woman would offer him such a treat. Her feet even made perfect impressions in the sand. Not a single peice seemed to even shift away. He noticed the way he walked was much more "sloppy" than hers.

"I was from here. Used to own a shop. Then I moved to Scotland to start my own business there. It went well." He said smiling, "Infact, I've already retired early while I was there. However, now I'm here and I have started work at Flourish and Blotts. It is quite the place. Very nice. I love New Zealand, it's just...so perfect in my eyes." He replied. He gave another brisk smile at her.
"Where do you work Corinne?" HE asked. She did not look like the type whom should be working. She looked more like the type that should have all her wills tended too. "But yes, work is quite drudgery when there is so much of it." he said, casting a smile right back at her.

She listened patiently to him as they walked back along the beach, she gathered her things up in no time at all and placing her bag over her shoulder and holding her flipflops in her hands she smiled at him. Indicating the direction they would be going in to reach her home for the duration of her stay, she marveled at how relaxed she was in his company. That hadn't happened to her in quite some time, not since Nicolas King in fact. Here she stopped her train of thought from going any further, that infatuation had gotten her nowhere, she would not make the same mistake again.

He was easy to listen too, his voice warm and with a comforting tone to it.
"I'd love to work in a book shop" she told him, "just a brief moment of peace and quiet would be amazing." A smile cast his way as she continued to walk step by step beside him. For all the world they seemed like any other couple walking along together, comfortable in each others company, easily conversing with one another.
"I work at St. Mungo's" she told him, "I am the main mid-wife there and a healer as well. Always busy. Actually I think this break, my first in many has been the first in which I have even been able to pick a book up to read."
A light laugh escaped her before she realised that their stroll along the beach had come to his end. There on their left stood a small wooden weather beaten house. Peeling blue pain with nautical furnishings. Reds, navy's and whites on cushions, drapes and else where. She moved up the five steps to the porch where a pale blue round wooden table sat, three chairs surrounded it and a porch swing hovered near by.
"Would you like a cold drink? I made iced tea earlier, it should be really chilled by now" she asked, placing her bag down on the porch swing as she bent low to put her flipflops down on the wooden flooring. She had been enjoying the feel of her bare feet on the sand and padding about the small house and didn't want to relinquish that feeling now that she had a guest.

"A Healer and a Mid-Wife eh? I know what Healers are, but It's a little foggy in my mind when you say Mid-Wife. What exactly do you do as a Mid-Wife? He asked. He said as he cast a smile back at her. "As for working in a book shop, I must say that indeed there is much peace and quite. Except for a couple of the younger students wanting books, for the most part the place is really nice. It's probably one of the more relaxing jobs here. You're job seems utterly stressfull, a woman of your kind shouldn't have to work." He stated with a wink and another half smile. She asked him if he'd like a cold beverage, he declined saying, "No thank you, I had some water before I came to the beach. But thank you!"

He woke up today thinking today was going to be the best day. So far, his theory was right. Although he created a little mishap at the beach, it was quickly covered with the offer Corinne had given him. THe beach house was pretty cool. However, he never really preferred the types of houses by the beach. He liked houses near a local park where he could go and get some fresh air without the fears of work.
"Corinne, I really appriciate this. It's very nice of you. It's not often I get an offer from a pretty girl such as yourself." He said laughing.

Smiling at him as she busied herself doing menial tasks like taking the chilled jug from the fridge and beginning to chop vegetables for a salad, Corinne spoke.
"Well I deliver other peoples babies, I take care of the women from the time they inform me that they are pregnant right up to when the baby is about three months old. Just to make sure that mother and child are doing alright and coping." she turned to smile at him but hastily looked away again as a blush crept along her cheeks.

There was nothing she hated more than discussing other peoples babies of late, the desire to have one of her own had been powerfully strong for months now and it felt as if it were tearing her apart. With a few flicks of her wand here and there about the kitchen, other food stuffs prepared themselves and the table was soon laid for two. Bringing the salad bowl and stripped chicken, cheeses and crusted bread to the table, Corinne asked him to sit as she did so.

"I don't think anyone has referred to me as a girl in quite some time, so thank you for both compliments but they are unnecessary" she told him as she offered him the bowls to serve himself from. The afternoon sun was glorious shining in on them seated in the porch area. The sound of children still playing on the beach wafted towards them and Corinne found herself enjoying once again the company of this strange man in such idyllic surroundings.

"Ahh. That seems quite the work. Delevering babies... I've always had a heart for a child of my own. However, the chance never came. I got so caught up in work and now I'm thinking it's a bit too late. You never know though." Edward said with a creeping smile and a slight red of his cheeks. It had be a while since he had blushed so. Talking to Corinne just kind of made him...really happy inside. He didn't really get much assosiation with the females of the world except for his dead wife. It happened long ago, and it was peaceful, but since then it seemed that a missing piece to his puzzle would never be found.

As Corinne and him seated themselves, Edward replied to her comment, "Unnecessary? Since when was the truth unnecessary?" He said with a full smile and a sparkle in his eyes. "Plus, if you think much of seeing me alot, you'd better get used to the compliments." He added laughing this time jokingly. He wondered what in the lights of this girl would turn down a compliment and call it unnecessary. He didn't think much of it as she passed him a bowl and he thanked her. Edward found that he fancied Corinne alot more than he believed he would. She was rather perfect and very nice.

"It's magnificent. Simply wonderful." Edward told Corinne reffering to the food she had served. "I just love it. You're a fine cook, has anyone ever gandered to tell you that?" He asked. The way the sun reflected in Corinne's hair was beautiful. It was gracious. Simply perfect. He thought he would never meet anyone more fine than her. Even if he tried and set out across the seas. She was wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back