The unexpected version

Kyle Cavanaugh

OOC First Name
Khushi
Wand
Ebony Wand 15 Essence of Phoenix Talon

Life at Cavanaugh estate was better than Kyle would have hoped for. The young Gryffindor was enjoying the attention of his mother as well as loving the fact that his father was absent from home. When Kyle was younger, his father's business meetings and constant absence disturbed him but now he was glad to get rid of his old man. At least he could get some real relaxation that the manor had to offer. On a certain Sunday morning two weeks into the summer holidays, Kyle woke up at ten thirty in the morning. It was two hours late compared to the usual time but this was because of the late night Iron Man movie that Kyle had watched with his Uncle, Dietrich. Kyle literally wanted to be his uncle when he grew up. His Uncle had insisted that they watched the movie and had some fun before he left today morning. Kyle checked the clock on his bedside table. Rubbing his eyes, he got out of bed and slipped his legs into his slippers. In a hurry to check on the status of his beloved uncle, Kyle left his bedroom without brushing his teeth, a shower and his hair was messy and uncombed. All this was completely against the rules and manners that his fathers had taught him but that did not matter right now. "Mom, did Uncle leave?" Kyle asked climbing down the staircase. He could hear his voice ringing in the living room and all the servants turned to face him. They did this always. Ask him if he needed anything. One of the servants brought him orange juice just as he stepped into the living room but Kyle was not interested in breakfast.

After a few seconds when his mother did not reply, Kyle turned to the servant with the juice and said "I don't want that. Is my mother home?" The manor was huge and it was built this way to accommodate all the relatives and constant guests. This summer there were no relatives or guests. Kyle's uncle had just stopped in for the night other than him it had only been Kyle and his mother, Camilla. When the servant shook his head, Kyle realized something was wrong. The servants did speak to him in a nice way and whenever Kyle was home alone his mother always told the servants to give him an explanation. "Do we have guests? Has my mother gone to do some shopping?" Kyle asked the servant. The boy wanted some answers. He did not like this deadly silence that the manor had at the moment. Usually the radio or the TV would be playing some songs or some light music. The servant shook his head again, twice. Another servant, an older one who Kyle knew worked for them since Kyle was born came rushing to Kyle and said in a low whisper"Little Master, Mr. Cavanaugh came home in the early hours of the morning. Your mother had to see that he was served what he needed. She was tired so she is in her bedroom". After hearing the explanation, a frown came on Kyle's face. This was the problem with his father. He came when he wanted and he needed everything right. His poor mother must have sacrificed her sleep to give him company. "Where is my father now?" he asked the servant. Kyle could only hope that his father was asleep because if Patrick Cavanaugh saw him in this state he was going to receive a big lecture.

Patrick sat in his study, his head pounding from the head ache he now had. His wife, Camillia had gone to bed only hours ago, but Patrick did not. This was something that he simply had to finish. Things were happening lately and it was causing him serious problems. Camillia had seriously f*cked up Kyle. The kid was not ever going to be fit to take over his buisness. How that stupid women was able to produce something like Kyle whom had half his own genes was beyond him. Was he the only one who had a disrespectful, undisciplined child? Heavens, Romia was a better behaved child and he could buy her off so mch easier then he ever could Kyle, even as a child. Patrick groaned, this was ridiculous. He slammed his papers closed and decided to make his way to the kitchen. Even for a headache, muggle methods were sometimes better, especially since Camillia was better at the healing arts then himself. He had no want to wake her up right now. He wished to not see her face for a couple of more hours atleast. However, as he got closer to the kitchen, he could hear voices coming from what appeared to be the living room. He frowned, what the hell was going on in there?

Patrick stepped into the living room and almost growled at the scene before him. The servants all turned towards him and visibly paled at his state. Patrick himself did not look good. His hair and suit were perfect yes, but his face was slightly pale and his eyes dark. He glared the the servant closest to him and ordered her to get him an asprin and to do so very quickly. She scampered off and many of the other servants followed. Soon he was left with Kyle and their oldest servant. He could see that this one was not going to leave. Well, he has five seconds. "Leave, or your fired." He said calmly, staring into the mans eyes. Eventually he must have gotten the message, because he too left. Patrick circled his son and sat calmly on the sofa, his hands out in front f him on his knees, he leaned forward menacingly and looked up at is son. He was not in the mood to be messed with this morning. "Kyle. What time is it?" His son was dishevelled, no shower, no teeth, what did he think this was? A motel? "Just exactly what kind of attitude must you have to be looking this way at this time?" He asked seriously, his voice low.

OOCOut of Character:
Let me know if you want me to change it.

Kyle stood there, in his night robes and home slippers, waiting for a reply from the old servant. He mumbled something about being unsure. Kyle had to find out for himself but before he could do so the very man that he did not want to see entered the living room. The teenager tried to hide his frown and kept his face straight, showing no emotion. Kyle could not help but roll his eyes as his father scared away the servants and threatened them. That was the only thing that Patrick Cavanaugh was capable of, threats. Kyle did not however dare to leave the room as his father looked up at him. "Ten thirty" he answered blankly as if it did not matter. The young boy remembered how it was before he joined Hogwarts. His father had made sure he learned everything there was to learn and even on Sundays he had to go horse riding. It was as if he was being trained to become the perfect man or something. He just wanted a father that would love him, spoil him and most importantly spend time with him. Kyle shrugged as his father threw another question at him. "I thought you'd be happy to see me after six months..." he said trailing off. He wanted to say so much more but he was scared to upset his father anymore.

Kyle hoped his father would give him a chance to explain himself. It was so weird. Kyle was never allowed to ask questions about his father's life and business but his father on the other hand wanted to control everything about his, Kyle's life. "I just woke up and I came straight down to see if Uncle Dietrich was still home" Kyle begun to explain. He was not sure if his father would be happy to know that his brother had stopped by. His mother had of course been happy to see Kyle have some company and had even prepared a nice dinner yesterday night. Kyle knew his mother would try her best to rescue him out of anything but at the moment he did not want to disturb her. Kyle looked down at his father thinking how the man survived the life that he lived. There was a time when his mother flew to business trips with his father but nowdays she was all alone. He wondered if his father ever got lonely. Did he not need the human company and love or maybe he was just some alien? In front of people his father behaved like everything was alright but Kyle knew that for some reason, his parents and even Patrick and his brothers, always had their differences. "But he left. I woke up late because I was watching Iron Man with him" Kyle continued in his explanation. Kyle was tired of answering his father's questions. He was still a little sleepy and could use some tea. He was tired of standing as well so he took a seat in the couch besides his father. "If you excuse me, I'll go fresh up" he told his father, waiting for his permission to leave. He did not want to be grounded again or something for not being disciplined.
OOCOut of Character:
Its perfect :D

A servant soon returned with the aspirin that Patrick had asked for and her tossed his head back to swallow the tablet. He of course had already eaten breakfast, because unlike his ungrateful little son, he was able to get out of bed - not that he had been this day - and showered and eaten before even nine o'clock. Patrick used to pride himself on being able to keep an efficient home. This was really nothing diffrerent to what he, himself was used to as a child. His own father had been very much like himself, and he turned out just fine. Obviously his father had stuffed up somewhere on Dietrich, but there was one in every family. It appeared that his only child was going to be the cause of all his grey hairs. Sometimes being at work was preferable to this. That was for sure. At least there he knew exactly where he stood, and what he could expect from his childlike employees. But at least they all had a creative mind and were able to do their jobs correctly and to his satisfaction. Patrick looked at Kyle incredulously. He was sure there was some disgust evident in his eyes. It was probably the wrong emotion for a father to have for their son, but that was what he was feeling at this moment. "Don't you dare be smart with me boy. I am not in the mood for your sh*t." He said calmly, forcing his hand through his slowly tangling hair. "Six months? Been that long has it... Hadn't noticed." Patrick had been so busy with work and with Teresa, it was no wonder that he had lost track of time really. What did they expect from him really? He wasn't some machine. He was a man, with very real needs and often -of course they don't know this - because Camillia wasn't there, he would seek comfort and warmth in the arms of another. But every business man, worth his salt did as he did. It was just t thing. Power-control or something of the like.

Patrick visibly grew paler when he heard that Dietrich had been in his house. He growled, if he didn't know any better, he would say that Dietrich had a crush on his wife. It wouldn't be unlike him. He was an idiot afterall. Patrick looked at Kyle with incredulous eyes. "I suppose your mother was happy to se him. Figures..." He continued, his voice steady, but inside, he was angry. Camillia had not told him about this last night. What else had she decided to conveniently leave out? Was Jerome hiding in the bathroom closet? Maybe Kyle's little firend Rose was sleeping under their sofa? He sighed. What was happening to the little six year old who did whatever daddy wanted for an expensive toy? Patrick would have rathered that Kyle go to Hogwarts Scotland, but instead he had recieved a letter from the New Zealand branch. He wasn't really sure how it worked, but wasn't happy about it. He had no control over what has happening in his sons life and he had no idea about what he was supposed to do about it. He shook his head. It was still throbbing but he knew that the pain would lessen as soon as the aspirin kicked in."You and those damn muggle movies. Why can't you do something productive with your life? What benefit are muggle movies going to give you? Tell me?" He asked as he opened his hands for an explanation. Dietrich was poisoning his sons mind. If he wanted to do that, he should be getting himself his own child and not keep borrowing Patrick's. "I will allow you to go for a shower..." He said as Kyle joined him on the sofa. "But I expect you back here when you finish. We have not finished this discussion. Not at all." Maybe Patrick would be able to knock some sense into him.

Kyle knew this was going to go on for long and he was glad that he was seated. He waited for his father to speak. He did not hope for anything nice to come out of Patrick Cavanugh's mouth but he did not expect harsh language so early in the morning. I'm smart, more than yourself. You pride yourself in being a former Ravenclaw. You didn't get all Outstandings!Kyle wanted to say in an outrageous tone but all he could do was think. He did not dare speak back at his father. For all he knew, his father would think the school was spoiling him and would have him forcefully homeschooled. Kyle's life would end and the boy did not wanted to get stuck in this mansion that was just a decorated prison and the keys were in his father's hands. "Of course you hadn't" he mumbled looking straight into his father's face. How could he not notice that I'm here after so long and he doesn't even want to hug me or anything? Kyle thought sadly. After giving his short explanation on why he had slept late Kyle realized that he might have put his mom in danger. "Mom would be happy to see anyone in this house, if they only showed up. Its lonely when its just the two of us. I can't imagine how it would be when I'm at Hogwarts"Kyle said honestly. The boy was not afraid to speak the truth especially when his mother was at risk.

Kyle would have thought that Patrick was joking when he talked about being productive and learning except the boy knew that his father did not joke. "Uncle wanted to watch it with me.Its not something we do on a daily basis. There is no muggle movies or TV at Hogwarts. Its entertainment. Its supposed to be fun. Besides, I'm pretty productive at school. I got O's in al the subjects while I was playing Chaser in the team" Kyle replied. He wanted to add the part of reminding Patrick how he had thought Kyle would be unable to cope with both sport and academics but kyle had managed to prove him wrong but he left that out.Kyle knew his father was going to burst back on him for all that he had just said. He did not want to listen, at least not for a while. So he quickly got up for the shower. Anything was better than listening to his old man. "Okay" he replied and then climbed up the stairs. A few years back, Kyle could not wait for his father to get home but at the moment Kyle could not help but wonder why his father was relaxed and free. Did he not have anywhere to be? Any deal to finalize? Kyle thought as he showered. The water felt good against his skin and helped him to be fully awake. In the unexpected tornado that was his father-Kyle had forgotten all about how his father liked him to wear long sleeved shirts and ties just in case some client showed up- and he ended up in a summer casual, the way he would have dressed at school, like every other boy his age. After fifteen minutes he came down to the living room to join his father. The servant asked him if he wanted some breakfast. "I'll have coffee. Can you make toast too, please?" Kyle asked the old man politely. He knew his father just belived in orders but Kyle was a man who knew how to win someone's heart not buy it.

Patrick was getting sick and tired of Kyle thinking he can just do whatever he wants. It was starting to get to the time when he was going to have to have to try and teach Kyle what he needed to know to take over. If he was going to have a chance, even the remotest chance to take over, he was going to have to start now. But not with Kyle being like this. When he got like this, Patrick just wanted to slap him and get on with it. But no, Camilia would have his head. She disapproved greatly of physical discipline and so he was rarely if ever smacked as a child. Probably why he was an ungrateful spoiled brat now. He glared back at Kyle. The nerve. "I never should have let your mother talk me out of disciplining you as a child. A good smack would have done you wonders. I would advise being careful what you say to me young man. I am but a snap of my temper away from pummelling you right now. Maybe that would knock some respect into your bratty little head." He told his son, turning his face away to hide the disgust that was welling up in his eyes. To show a child an emotion such as that, what kind of person was her anyway? Patrick kept his face turned away from Kyle as he continued. "Your mother is fine. She knows her place. Unlike some other members of this family I notice." He said. He was definitely having words with both Dietrich, Camilia and Jerome before the day was out.

Patrick held his head slightly as the throbbing continued. He was working to hard, he could tell. He definitely needed Teresa right now. She was good for his headaches. She was a spoiled little gold digger, but at least she did what she was told. He could use a women such as her right now. He would go to Camilia, but she would be likely to use the opportunity to get herself pregnant. She had almost succeeded last time. It was only at the last minute did he catch on to it. Patrick ignored Kyle's talk of the stupid muggle movie and only made any sort of reaction when he mentioned his grades. So Patrick had been proven wrong, so what. It's not like he really cared to much anyway. He knew that in the long run he was right, he didn't care how long it took Kyle to realise that. Patrick stood up and walked over to his liquor cabinet. He really needed something strong right now. "Just because you managed this time, does not mean you will manage to do so any further on. You know very well, that fifth and seventh year will be the hardest of your life. Besides, I have it on some authority that you were only an alternate during the games is that true?" He asked, looking over his shoulder as he poured some whisky into a glass and brought it with him as he made his way back to the lounge. "So you really can't say that, can you Kyle?" He asked. Perhaps his employees were useful after all. They were good for information on Kyle at least. Well, she had been, she had graduated last year, so he was back to square one now. He then nodded and sat back into the lounge as Kyle left to take a shower. Soon he would know his future and the future of his son.

Kyle came back down stairs. Patrick was on his second glass of whisky and was waiting. He vaguely heard his son ask for breakfast and shook his head. If he had wanted to eat, he should have done so earlier, however, Patrick remained silent and waited for Kyle to rejoin him in the room. What did servants exist for if not to order them about? If they were that worried about it, they only had to quit. Patrick wasn't standing in their way. He would even give them a glowing review if only to keep them away from his house. Camilia only kept them around because she believed in binding contracts. Seeing as they had all signed contracts, as far as Camillia was concerned, they had a job for life whilst here. Patrick would have been quite happy to simply replace them every month or so. But that was obviously not going to happen. He sighed and took another sip of his whisky, looking at Kyle as he entered. "Sit. I want to discuss your electives and your future" He said, leaning his head back into the lounge. This was going to be a long conversation indeed.
OOCOut of Character:
Sorry for the slight God Mod, just wanted to move it along alittle. Cheers.

Kyle did not want to make this conversation with his father any longer than it had to be and so he did not argue when his father told him to mind his words and said no for breakfast. The good thing about old servants was that they cared for him and Kyle knew that if he did not eat in front of his father, his breakfast would be waiting for him in his room later. "After the tryouts I was permanent Chaser but then they decided to team up Gryffindor and Slytherin and make them play against Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. Mostly all the older students played" Kyle informed his father about how the match at their school had been during the last year.t Kyle had not enjoyed being benched but it was just how it happened. But he still had time and he knew this year would be better. Kyle had been hoping to practice Qudditch with his Uncle but he was busy in the holidays as it was the main match season. He wondered if he could find some wizarding kids in London and play with them. Or maybe invite his aunt Genna over. She was working as a muggle model but she wouldn't mind helping him for sure.Kyle wanted to ask his father for permission but then decided against it. He hated this, when his father kept tabs on his life.

"Plus its only a day before the match that they decided who will play so we had to be there for all the practices and everything" he added as he took a seat on the table.Kyle was tired of contemplating on why he did not have a normal father who was simply proud of him. The young boy hoped that his father did not have much time on his hands. It was the only thing that he could hope for. When his father mentioned his electives, Kyle opened his mouth in protest. They had already discussed this in their letters."But I have already told Professor Kingsley that I will take Care of Magical Creatures and Ancient Runes!" Kyle said. He could not believe his father was still holding onto this electives decision. "I don't like maths so Arthimacy would not work and Divination and Muggle Studies is just...well lame" Kyle said honestly. Just because his father had chosen those electives did not mean he had to do the same. And how did it matter after all? No one was going to see his grades and electives when he would tryout to play for the Falcons. "I told you all this in my letter. And the Professor said that once we finalize they won't accept any changes. Plus she told me I should study what I like" Kyle continued. If Professors could understand him, why not his father. The boy wished his mother was here to save him and to explain to his father. Did the man not care at all about what his son wanted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back