The Tutor

Noah Scott

As one of the smarter students in his year Noah had taken it upon himself to offer to tutor some of the younger students. From what they had told Noah the girl he was tutoring was a third year Hufflepuff and not very keen on books. Noah made his way to the library to meet the girl. He had forgotten her name but hopefully they would somehow know who they were looking for. Noah had some of his text books from third year with him just incase she didn't bring her own. Once he was inside the building where he spent half of his life Noah took a place next to the window and waited for his student to show up.

( Sorry its so lame >_< )

((It's fine))

Lily sighed. She was running late. It wasn't her fault that she had lost track of time when climbing a tree. Nope, not her fault at all. She started running to the library. I should really get a watch, she said. My tutor's probably going to think badly of me now that I'm late. Urgh! Darn my love for climbing things. She arrived at the library and walked in to the door. Lily looked around. She went over to the boy near the window. "Hi," she said, a nervous smile on her face. "Sorry I'm late. I don't have a watch and you can't really bring a clock outside." She sat down in a chair.

Noah was getting very annoyed with the girl he was supposed to be helping. How could she expect help if she didn't show up on time. He was thinking of packing up and going to study for OWLs when the girl showed up. He nodded when she said she needed a watch, he very much agreed. "Well Lily lets not waste anymore time and get started, what subjects do you need help with?" Noah asked spreading out his text books on the table since the girl hadn't brought any. She seemed like the type who needed help with theory rather then the actual spell work, so he would save that part for later. Of course she was in third year and had probably signed up for classes she had no idea about so that didn't help either. She had better not need help in that stupid tea reading dream working out class, its completely useless Noah thought surpressing the urge to roll his eyes.

Lily thought for a moment. "I need help with Herbology and Care of Magical Creatures," she said. It isn't like I want to be tutored, I'm fine on my own, she thought. But it would be nice to not annoy someone trying to teach me for once. Why did Lana have to sign me up for being tutored anyway? She isn't the boss of me but I wasn't allowed to quit so oh well... She sighed. "I'm warning you," she said. "I don't know if I'll improve in these but I'll try. They just don't come to me naturally, you know?"

Noah nodded when she said she needed help in herbology and care of magical creatures. Two classes Noah happened to love. CoMC was his best subject infact, he loved animals very much. "Well lets get started on herbology then, we'll save care of magical craetures for another day when I can talk to the professor" Noah said pulling out his old herbology book. Despite being two years old the book was in perfect condition, except of course for the fact that it wasn't stiff like most new books. "I'll ask you some questions and you do your best to answer them so we can see where you are, okay?" Noah said opening his book to a random page. "Where does a Shrivelfig originate from?" Noah asked.

( The answer is Abyssinia, I didn't think it would be fair to make you look up the answer :p. )

Lily nodded. She winced at the question. Shrivelfig? she thought. I think I skimmed over that section of the book... something that started with an a. Abyss something or other. What did it end in? "One second." She continued to think. Did it end in an a? Yeah, it did. Oh yeah! Too bad I don't have this much time to think of answers in class. Lily paused before answering. "Was it er, Abyssinia?" she asked.

Noah smiled when Lily got the question right, it was a start at least. "Yep, good job, lets see..." he said flipping through the book again looking for another question. Noah remembered the second years spent most the year tending to mandrakes so he flipped to that section of the book, "Okay... How do you know when a mandrake is fully matured?" Noah asked. It was a fairly simple question because mandrakes were so much like humans but it still made sense to ask.

Lily grinned for a second when she got the question right. Then she went through the stuff she had learned in her brain. Mandrakes... Ahh! Why was I busy talking to another person during the Mandrake class? she thought. Er, maybe it's... "They get bigger? she said. "I can't remember."

Noah couldn't help but laugh at the girls answer, it was just so... stupid. He of course would never say this out loud because unlike some Ravenclaws he didn't make fun of others intelligence. "No, Mandrakes as well as looking like humans act like humans, they go through all stages of life, You know there mature when they start moving into each others pots, like when humans get married and move in with each other" Noah corrected her in a kind voice. "Lets see, maybe we need some more questions on mandrakes..." he said flipping through the book again. "True or false, a mandrakes cry can kill you." Noah asked.
( Sorry for the delay... I'm in a mood -_- )

Lily sighed. "I'm so bad at this," she said. "I wish I had my cousin's brain. She's smart." She felt stupid after hearing the answer. Only then had she remembered being taught that. She groaned before the next question was asked. She thought for a while. She remembered the lesson where the professor had told them that as babies their cries would knock a person out, but as adults their screams could kill. Lily remembered a mean girl got knocked out because she took off her earmuffs too early. She had stayed in the hospital wing for a while, unconscious for several hours. "True," she said. "I think."

"No your not, you just need to work at it, I know I would never know as much as I do if I didn't study at every possible chance" Noah said encouragingly. It was true at least, he would be no where if he didn't study. Sure he took in information raelly well once he understood something, but usually the way teachers explined things made no sence at all. Noah smiled when Lily got the question right, "Correct. See its not that hard" Noah said. Once again Noah flipped through the book and landed on a random page, it was some information from the first year class, but very very handy. "Okay how about this, how do you kill devils snare?" Noah asked. He hoped Lily knew this, it could save her life. Of course it was very unlikely that she would ever come across devils snare outside of class. Noah was surprised by the fact that he cared if she got the answer right, usually when he tutored someone it was completely tedious. He found himself willing for her to get the question right, she really was a smart girl.

Lily sighed. "I have time but no motivation," she said. "So I need to work on the motivation." She rolled her eyes. "You don't know how much work my brain had to do for that one correct answer," she said. "Having to remember exactly what happened in that class..." She thought about the next question. Didn't someone famous do something with devils snare? Oh yeah, she thought. Harry Potter encountered it in his first year. I remember listening to that read by Sasha. Something about fire... Oh I think I remember! Lily took a deep breath before answering. "Er, by lighting a fire?" she asked, hoping she was right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back