The Turner Residents

James Turner

James arrived at his brothers house his shoulders hunched and hand shoved inside his pockets, unlike most wizards James had mastered looking like a muggle and would not stand out from the crowd. As he approached the big house in Regents Park he fumbled in her pocket and grabbed the key shoving it quickly into the lock ad twisting it. It was a cold day and James couldn't wait to get inside. He opened the door and grinned, the house was decorated the same way it was every year and all that was missing was the smell of the cooking roast dinner. He was glad that his brother had had the sense to leave the heating on, and quickly removed his jacket reaveling a very large rugby shirt. He removed his shoes and rubbed his hands together. He couldn't wait for Harri to get home, he hadn't realised how much he had missed her untill the news of her coming home had reached him. He walked into the living room and looked around. Something was missing but he couldn't put his finger on what it was untill he saw a small note on the table.
James, we didn't have time to decorate the tree before we left! Please could you do it for us! thanks x
He smiled as he read it. He pulled out his wand and was just about to decorate the tree when he stopped himself. I'll do it with Harri he thought to himself thinking this would be a nice way to spend their first day together. He sat down on and armchair and closed his eyes. He remembered his first christmas home from school, he had been so excited wanting to tell everyone everything, his mother and father had been glad to see him but his brother had seemed oddly distant... He was just dozing off into an uncomfortable dream when he was suddenly awoken by the sound of a bell, he looked around and saw Bruce sprinting down the stairs. "Hello boy" he said patting the dog on the head, it was Harri's dog and he guessed that he was probably asleep on her bed. Bruce had an excited look about him and it was almost as though he was expecting Harri home as well. James thoughts suddenly turned to Harri, he was sad that he hadn't been able to go and pick her up but their had been no way of getting their at such short notice. He looked at the watch on his hand and saw that Harri was on her way home. This watch was no ordinary watch on it had the face's of most of his family members and what they were doing at that exact moment and Harri's was now on travelling. He quickly hurried round the huge house trying to get everything prepered, he wanted everything to be perfect for Harri's arrival.

Harri stepped out of the taxi and breathed in the fresh air. God it was good to be home. She smiled as she walked up the snow filled path. She couldn't help but grin at the prospect of seeing James again! She was so excited. She stopped just before she reached the front door and sat down on the wall. She looked up at her house, it was a big house she knew but compared to Hogwarts it was nothing. She grinned as she saw the christmas wreath hanging on the door she knocked gently and heard Bruce running to the door to greet her. His bark sounded so homely to her. Bruce was her gentle giant, he was huge absoloutly massive but the St.Bernard was so friendly and loving and she couldn't wait to hug him and see him again. She waited at the door and when she heard footsteps she grinned as the door opened she grinned "Hello!" she said starring at the man who opened it.

James sat in the armchair. Waiting and waiting, his hand rested on Bruce's head they were both waiting for Harri's return and both of them were giving of a restless air. He heard a knock at the door but it was so gentle he wasn't sure if it really was a knock. He sat there debating with himself for a while but when Bruce jumped up and started barking excitedly he knew that there definatly was someone there, his face slipped into a smile as he realised it was probably Harri and he quickly walked to the front door. He reached out for the door and grinned as he saw Harri staring back at him "Harri! Gosh it's good to see you, I've missed you so much!" He said he felt a rush of affection for her as he saw her stanfing on the step, he stretched out his arms and hugged her. "Come in come in it's freezing out there!" he said "And there's someone here very excited to see you!" James said pointing at Bruce who, by now, was going crazy barking and running around in circles.

Harri grinned back as she saw her uncle opening the door. She was glad of the hug she recieved and she felt so protected and welcome at home. She had been a little bit worried about coming home as she missed her parents lots and had been really excited about seeing them and now she wouldn't see them untill the summer! But she was so happy to see her uncle the dissappiontment dissappered. She breathed in the familiar smell of home and smiled. She was so glad to be here. "It's great to see you too! How have you been?" She asked, sounding so much more mature then she had been when she had last been at home. Then she looked down and saw Bruce. She knelt down and hugged him, after recieving a thorough face lick he settled by her side she kissed his forehead gently "I've missed you so much boy!" she whispered in his ear "I've needed a hug from you for a long time" she said loud enough for his ears only. She stroked him one last time and then stood up "Do you know what I really fancy a hot choclate with cream on it!" she said to her uncle "I'll be in the living room!" she said cheekily and walked in to the front room removing her thick jacket and kicking off her shoes. Bruce followed at her heels as she walked in and settled down in the sofa next to the big fire. She called Bruce up on to the sofa, he wasn't usually allowed on the sofas but she made and exception today and she snuggled up to him starring into his big round eyes and smiling. It was so good to be home.

James smiled as he saw Harri talking to the dog. He could not hear the words she muttered but thought she preferred it this way. "Oh I've been fine!" he said smiling, when Harri asked for a hot chocolate he looked up at her "Gosh we know when Harri's arrived!" He said and grinned. He knew she was pushing her luck but he had missed her lots and so made and exception this time. He walked down the long corridor and through a load of rooms to reach the kitchen. This house was like a maze, it was hard to find your way around at the best of times but James hadn't been in the house for a while and got slightly lost on his way. When at last he reached the kitchen he boiled the kettle and made the hot chocolate just the way Harri like it. He walked back through the house and out into the hall outside the living room where he stopped and stared at the lovable sight ahead, Harri was staring lovingly into Bruce's eyes and he had the soppiest look on his face! "Here you go!" he said walking across the room and handing her the hot chocolate. He settled down next to her, "So how have you been?" he asked gently, he was talking about Emma. He knew it must have been a devestating blow to her and was concerened about how she had taken the news. It can't have been easy, especially being surrounded by a bunch of people who didn't know Emma at all. He hoped she would talk to him about it but wasn't going to push her if she didn't want to speak.

Harri was still cuddling Bruce when James walked back in, she jumped slightly as he spoke "You scared me!" she said and laughed. As he sat down next to her she knew he was going to talk about something serious. And as he spoke she smiled slightly at having guessed what he was going to talk about. She looked out of the window and out at the garden, it was covered in snow and a few months ago she would have been itching to get out there and make snowmen and mess around in it, now whenever she looked at it she was reminded of Emma and although she still smiled when she saw it the good memories bought back pain to her. She knew this was bad and that she shouldn't feel this way but she couldn't help it. She continued to gaze out of the window and hoped her uncle didn't take this as a sign that she didn't want to talk because she did. She needed to talk to someone who had none Emma. Had none what she was like, and could share some of the memories that they had made together. She took a deep breath in praying silently that the stutter she seemed to have developed whenever she spoke about Emma would not haunt her today. "I miss her so much" she said trying to hold back the tears but failing, the tears where now streaming down her cheeks. "I-I have h-ha-had l-lots of s-suport f-from f-friends at s-s-school b-but they d-didn't" She paused and corrected herself "D-don't know her. She w-w-was to young to to to d-d-d-di-die. It's n-not f-fair. I d-d-didn't e-even g-get to say g-g-goodbye" Tears poured from her eyes but she turned her head away embaressed about her stutter. She just wanted to get rid of it. She had never had a stutter before, it seemed to have developed since the loss of Emma.

James looked at Harri curiously, he had never before heard he stutter and knew that she never used to have one. He felt a strong paternal pull towards her as tears poured out of her eyes "It's ok," He whispered "I know your going to be upset, but you have to talk about her, if you don't it will just get harder and harder!" He hugged her gently and rocked her back and forth. He decided it was best not to mention the stutter untill she felt confident enough to speak about with him, he didn't want to put any pressure on her especially since she had been through such a tragic experience for someone so young. "I'm glad your friends have supported you because you need people your own age to help you as well as those older then you" He sounded so different from his usual self but he supposed it was just how you reacted when you were helping someone you loved. His mind briefly wondered to what he would be getting Harri for christmas but he quickly shook it off. He had much more important things to deal with at the moment.

Harri looked up at he uncle as he spoke, she was glad that he said nothing about her stutter although she knew he had definatly noticed by the clouded look that swept across his face for a few minuets. She was grateful of the hug she recieved and felt like a baby as he began to rock her back and forth. She lent out of the hug and stared and Bruce for a while while she dried her eyes and breathed in deeply planning what she was going to say in her head so as not to stutter "I will talk about it, I p-promise I just need a little bit more time" she said looking up at him "I hope thats ok! I'm just not quite ready" she looked up at him as if seeking approval, like she could only stop crying if he gave her permission. She suddenly felt so dependent like as soon as she stepped through her front door she turned back into a little child who couldn't do anything by themseleves. She sat up straight and shook off the stutter she knew it wouldn't return as long as she wasn't talking about Emma. She blocked the tears and pain out of her mind and said "So your a wizard huh? who would have thought it!" she was smiling weakly now trying to forget the tears and concentrate on the good news.

James knew that it was best to leave it. His brow furrowed as he thought. He was worried about her and didn't want her to feel like she couldn't talk to her. But as she contiued to talk he knew she was strong and hoped that when the time was right she would speak to him. His face crept into a smile "I know, I'm sorry for keeping it from you for so long, I didn't want to but.."He stopped himself abruptly "I haven't bought you a christmas present yet because I thought you might like to get something like a broom or something? It's better then a muggle present!" He said and laughed, he hoped she like this idea. He had thought about buying her a present but thought it was best to let her choose her own. She was sure to think of something she wanted from browsing the shops at the beginning of term.

Harri watched as he uncles face first furrowed then turned into the smile that she was more fimilair with. As he spoke she noticed him stopping quickly "But what?" she asked before she could stop herself she was intrigued now but as he carried on talking she almost forgot about that. "Well, well I would really like a broom." She said quietly yet excitedly "But I fully understand if there too expensive or anything cause they are!" she added quickly, she didn't want him to spend too much on her, however much she wanted a broom. She smiled what she hoped was a sweet smile and looked up at him awaiting the answer.

James ignored Harri's first question thinking it wasn't yet the right time to tell her the whole story. His face spread into a huge smile as Harri seemed ecstatic about this idea "Do you know what I was thinking of a broom but I wasn't sure if you like flying!" James said excitedly "Did you try out for the team?" he asked beaming "And you are in Gryffinfor aren't you? Your dad never told me?" He added still smiling but the mention of his brother bringing the smile down a bit. Still he didn't let it bother him, this was his and Harri's world one that he could never fully appreciate.

Harri smiled, forgetting she had even asked any other question. "Yep I love flying!" said Harri excitedly "Did you like it? Yup I tried out I don't know if I got in though! I tried out for seeker and there are lots of good players so I don't know if I'm even in with a chance but I tried."Harri gushed "yes I am in gryffindor why were you?" So many questions were pouring out of her mouth she just couldn't stop them she was so excited. She looked up at the clock and saw in was nearly 11:30! "Oh I have to go to bed soon!" she sad indicating to the clock.

James smiled at Harri's enhusiasm, he had once been like that. Exactly like that, and it bought back happy memories of his own. "Yes I loved flying, it's fantstic!"He smiled "Of corse I was in Gryffindor!" he said and laughed. Then he too looked at the clock. "Not soon now!" he said and smiled. He watched as Harri went out the room and up the stairs taking Bruce with her. It had been and exhausting day and he couldn't wait to rest himself. He got out of the armchair to head upstairs when the bare christmas tree caught his eye. Usually he would have decorated it by magic but he decided to do it the muggle way. It was much more fun! He walked over to the huge box of multicoloured decorations and began pulling them out and placing them on the tree. 2 hours and 3 cups of coffee later the tree looked beautiful and James placed the magnificent angel on top and headed off to bed yawning as he went. When he arrived in his room he fell asleep straight away. He felt like a child again, he hadn't been this excited for christmas day in a long time!

((God mode approved for the last post :D!))

Harri lay in her bed, her mind racing over the events of the past few hours. They had passed so quickly and it felt strange to be sleeping in her normal bed after the luxurious four poster beds she had at school. Bruce lay on the end of her bed snoring heavily he was huge and she could barely move because he was there but she would never ever choose to move him. She rolled over and her eyes met a picture of her and Emma. She grabbed it and pulled it towards her, she flicked a lamp on next to her and looked at the happy faces which stared back at her. She couldn't believe she was gone. Although she had accepted Emmas death she still at moments found in hard to believe and still wasn't talking in past tense about her. She couldn't. As far as Harri was concerened Emma still was her best friend and always would be, death wasn't going to break the bond they had. Nothing ever could. Her eyes began to sting and she put down the photo she couldn't look at it anymore. She was just about to flick the light off when another caught her eye, she stretched across her cabinet and grabbed it. She looked at it. How could she forget this person! She smiled as she looked down at the unblinking faces. The smile vanished as she wondered how he was coping. She had even talked about him with Mr.Obrien yet she had been so caught up with herself, so selfish she hadn't even remembered him. Tears pricked in her eyes and she wondered how Alex was coping. Alex was Emma's twin and Harri's second best friend, they got on so well as Alex and Emma were so similar. They had also been friends from the age of 3 and had practically grown up together. She jumped out of bed suddenly so awake and sat down and wrote Alex a letter.
Dear Alex,
I am so sorry I haven't written to you for so long but I have been very busy. No thats a lie. I have been selfish. Incredibly so only worrying about how I've been feeling and no-one else. And it's time for me to grow up a bit and stop being so immature. We have known eachother since well since forever and I still didn't think about you. I'm sorry, I really am and I hope you can forgive me for being such a terrible friend!
How have you been copeing? I know that everyone asks and it gets annoying I've had to deal with it as well. But I found that talking about it helps. And i know you probably have heard that a million times as well but please write back! I've missed you loads. And Emma. I will never ever forget her. Please write back.
Harri x

Harri read over the letter and pulled on some clothes and grabbed her ipod. She had no owl and so she would have to hand deliver it. She creeped down the stairs glad to see that her uncle had gone to bed. She grabbed a set of keys and snuck out. Emma's house was 3 doors down, they had walked to school every morning and walked home from school every afternoon. Everyone said they were joint at the hip and it was true they were. But that was how the liked it.
It was cold outside and the snow crunched loudly beneath Harri's un-shoed feet. She looked down and wondered why she hadn't bothered to put shoes on but then carried on walking. Her road was scary at night the darkness seemed to engluf all the happiness, she walked briskly down the road. Although the house was only three doors down the houses were big and detached and it felt like miles away. She stopped when she arrived at Emmas house. Her mind flooded with happy memories. She had spent most of her summers in this house, whenever her parents were away she would stay here. Emmas mum and dad felt like family and she loved them all dearly. Music was blearing in her ears and 'Tonight' by FM Static began to play. Emma had loved this song and made Harri listen to it again and again untill Harri too began to love it. It reminded her of Emma so much. Every word reminded her so much of Emma and now the words weren't just words now they had meaning, every single word. She began to sing "Tonight I've fallen and I can't get up I need your loving hands to come and pick me up and every night I miss you I can just look up and know the stars are holding you. Holding you today." What had started as singing ended up as a hysterical girl almost screaming the words. She collapsed in a bundle on Emmas drive and sobbed. She cried and cried before dragging herself up and posting the letter. The flow of tears was uncontrollable she tried to stop them but she couldn't she ran back to her house and opened the door slamming it behind her. She ran into the front room were Bruce came bounding after "NOT NOW!" she shouted at him and he walked off with his tail between his legs whining "NO I'm sorry come back boy don't leave me. Please. Don't leave me" she gulped and when Bruce ran back to her she hugged him. She sobbed into his fur she cried and cried she couldn't stop Bruce licked her face and took care of her. If it wasn't for him Harri didn't know what she would do. She lay on the sofa with Bruce crying. The Darkness surrounded her she felt like she would never feel happy. She couldn't cope with this. It was too much. She felt depressed and down. She felt like she couldn't smile. It was 5:00 now it was christmas day and she was crying. She looked around and saw her uncle had decorated the tree it looked beautiful she tried to pull herself together but couldn't she just lay there she had no more tears to cry so she just lay there still.

James had been sound asleep when he heard the sounds of shouting and crying coming from below. He tried to wake himself up a bit too see if he was dreaming and when he did the sounds seemed to stop. Still he got up and peeked round Harri's door to make sure she was ok. He walked across the corridor and up another flight of stairs and was suprised to see the door opened. She never sleeps with the door open he thought to himself. He popped his head in and saw an empty bed. His heart began to race and he wondered where she was "HARRI" he called and ran down the stairs. All the lights were off but he checked anyway. The kitched the corridors. He was starting to get panicky when he pushed open the door to the living room. His heart sunk Harri was laying on the sofa with Bruce, he flicked on the light and saw her face was tear stained and she was fully dressed. He looked across at her and wasn't sure what to do. He just stood where he was and said "Are you ok?" He then cursed himself of corse she wasn't ok she was laying there and looked like she had been crying. He face screwed up as he realised that was the last thing she wanted to here "I'm sorry, I just.." He began but didn't know what else to say. It was cold down here and he glanced at the clock. 5:45 "Happy christmas" he said meekly and walked over to were she was sitting.

Harri heard movement from upstairs and knew it was her uncle, she heard him hurrying around and calling her name but she couldn't reply. When he walked in and saw her she couldn't even turn her head to look at him, she just lay there her chest heaving and her eyes spilling into a fresh set of tears. When he asked if she was ok she cringed. Everyone was asking if she was ok, of corse she wasn't ok did she look ok?! She was sad and lonely and down. She hated being like this. It wasn't normal for her she was a happy person, always smiling the smile that made her and her uncle look so similar. Everyone told her but she always said it didn't. Emma always told her. Emma told her everything. Emma, Emma, Emma. It seemed to be the only word in her vocabulary at the moment. The only person she saw when she closed her eyes. The only person who constantly floated into her mind. Emma's face seemed to haunt Harri making her constantly sad and down. But that wasn't what Emma was like, Harri was corrupting her memory changing little details forgetting what Emma looked like and replacing her image. She imagened Emma getting grown up with children of her own. Imagened what there lives would have turned out like. Everyday she imagened it and everyday she hated herself for not being with her, for swaning off to her new school and not even giving her a second thought. But that wasn't true. She always thought about Emma she couldn't stop that whether Emma was alive or dead she would always be part of Harri's life and no one would take that away from her. No spell was strong enough to erase Emma away from her mind and no person could replace her. Her tears felt fake like they no longer meant anything, like she had cried to many times before and now the tears were pointless and unreal. Harri felt like a shambles she didn't know how to act or feel. How to look or react to people. She felt like she was cut off from the world like no one knew or cared what she was going through. But she felt selfish for feeling this, she knew others were going through traumatic times, like Alex and Emmas parents and family. She felt confused for feeling this. She had too many emotions and they were merging together and making Harri feel unhuman like she couldn't breathe. They thoughts were strangling her suffocating her.
She had completly blanked out and shook her head to bring her back to present. "Happy Christmas" she whimpered in replie to her uncle. "Sorry for waking you, I'm going back to bed" and with that she walked out of the room up the stairs and into her bed. Hoping to wake up tommorow in a better mood. Bruce was now licking away Harri's tears and she had no energy to stop him. She eventually feel into a deep and troubled sleep but slept undisturbed all night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back