The Truth Comes Out

Sophia Stark

OOC First Name
Kaela
Sophia could not have been happier that it was the weekend. She felt like she was starting to catch up in her classes, but there was definitely still so much more she had to learn and master. Not to mention that the weekend gave the Slytherin some time to spend with her friends. Yes, she had said it, friends. Studying with Kiera had been greater than Sophia had ever imagined it could be.

It was early afternoon and the sun high in the sky, hidden only by a few wispy clouds. It was absolutely gorgeous despite being a tad chilly and Sophia was determined to spend some time outside. She had asked Kiera to meet her by the lake and that was exactly where the Slytherin was headed.

Sophia found a tree a bit away from the water and sat down on the ground, resting her back on the trunk. She was wearing a pair of jeans and a deep green sweater underneath her coat. Having removed the black messenger bag from her torso and set it on the ground beside her the Slytherin took a book from it and began reading, waiting for Kiera to arrive.

Kiera walked outside the castle and shivered. Despite the sun's rays, it was icy outdoors. She was dressed for the weather with her peacoat and jeans. She began her walk down to the lake to meet Sophia. Kiera carried a quilt in her arms for them to sit on. Kiera hated the cold ground and would rather avoid contact with it if at all possible.

As she walked, Kiera thought over her last meeting with the older Slytherin. It had been extremely pleasant and helpful. Kiera was enjoying Sophia's company more than she previously would have thought possible. Kiera grinned as she spotted the older girl already by the lake. "Hey Sophia." she greeting in a cheerful voice. She noticed Sophia was already sitting down. "I brought a quilt to sit on if you would like to." she offered.

Sophia looked up from her book at the sound of Kiera's voice. Although she was not smiling her expression was not exactly hostile. "Hello Kiera," she greeted cordially, closing her book.

The prospect of a quilt brought a hint of a smile to Sophia's face. "That would be nice. Thank you." Setting the book on her messenger bag the Slytherin got to her feet so that Kiera could put the quilt down.

Kiera grinned happily as Sophia stood up. Apparently the older Slytherin had decided she didnt mind the younger Gryffindor so much. Kiera unfolded the blanket and spread it on the ground. She then took a seat on it, assuming Sophia would follow. Kiera turned her face toward Sophia's. "So what were you reading?" she wondered, looking at the book still in the other girl's hands.

Sophia sat down beside Kiera once the quilt was on the ground, resting her back on the tree trunk once more and letting her legs lay straight out in front of her. She looked at her newfound friend for a moment before picking up the book and showing it to her.

"Achievements in Charming. It is not very interesting, but it is helpful. Playing catch up is not enjoyable." Sophia pursed her lips into a strange weak smile before turning and setting the book back on her messenger bag.

Kiera nodded her head as Sophia talked about her book. Kiera found the book quite interesting, but she loved charms. "I imagne it would not be fun to have to catch up or feeling like you were behind. My little sister, Katheryn, just returned to school as well. She is having to do the same thing you are." she said with a return smile as the other girl put her book away.

Sophia turned back to look at Kiera, her brows furrowed in confusion. "You have a sister?" She vaguely remembered that the Gryffindor had siblings, but she had no idea how many or what ages and such.

"Why did you she leave school? If it is not too forward of me to ask." Sophia knew Kiera wanted to know why she had left school herself, but she could not help asking.

Kiera smiled fondly as she thought of her siblings. "Yes actually I have a sister and a brother. Kat is 14 and Cameron is almost 17, but Cam goes to Durmstrang." she said slightly sad. She missed her family. They were unnaturally close to each other to be so close in age. Kiera loved them intensely.

Kiera sighed. "I dont mind telling you." she said honestly. "Kat went to live with my mother. It really upset me. That was the longest I didnt speak to Katheryn." she said looking down.

Now Sophia was even more confused. Not about the siblings part, but about Katheryn going to live with her mother. Why should that be a problem? Was she missing something?

"Your mother? What is so bad about that?" It had to be something bad to keep Kiera, who was quite friendly, from speaking to her younger sister.

Kiera looked up startled at Sophia. She had forgotten not too many people knew about her mom. She smiled apologetically. "Well my mother left us all when we were young children. She faked a car accident. A few summers ago, Bella took me to meet her. Jacqueline is a death eater." Kiera explained quietly. She didnt want the whole school knowing. Kiera had another secret about her mother but she had yet to tell anyone what happened last summer. She didnt even want to think about it.

Sophia's eyes widened in shock at the news that Kiera's mother was a Death Eater. It seemed the two had more in common than the Slytherin had realized. She fished into her pocket and withdrew her wand, waving it about the two and muttering "muffliato." This was a conversation that should not be overheard.

"I see. Having parents who are involved in...such things, can be difficult." Sophia flattened her lips against each other and looked sadly at Kiera for a moment before looking at her legs. Thinking about her parents was still kind of difficult. Even though it had been a year and a half the sixth year had yet to really deal with what had happened.

Kiera looked up at the Slytherin greatfully. She wished she would have thought of that spell sooner. "Are you parents involved in that too?" she asked. Kiera had suspected in the past but never had actual proof. A new thought popped into Kiera's head. "Sophia, why did you really leave school?" she asked in the privacy of their bubble.

Sophia stuck her wand back in her pocket before turning her gaze on Kiera. She was a bit surprised the Gryffindor did not know anything about her parents. It was not exactly a secret, since Sophia had been kidnapped and such.

"Well, they were..." the noirette began hesitantly. She knew she would have to explain herself sooner or later, but Sophia never imagined it would be so hard to say. "Both of my parents are dead. I did not want to be placed into the care of my great uncle, so I ran away." The Slytherin looked down once more, biting her lower lip. She could feel the sadness filling her and a pain building in her chest.

Kiera was shocked at the revelation that Sophia's parents were dead. Kiera was not expecting that. Her mouth dropped before she could stop. She quickly shut it. Kiera looked into the older girl's face. "If you dont mind me asking, what happened to them?" she asked hoping she wasnt crossing any boundries. The Slytherin had been nice to her and a potential friend, but who was to say that would not change? Kiera didnt want it to.

Sophia took in a deep breath and slowly released it. She had to work up her courage if she was going to explain this. Where did she even start? Shane had tried to talk to Sophia about what happened once and she screamed at him until he promised to never bring it up again. The Slytherin really did not want to break down here on the grounds where everyone could see.

"Uh, my father murdered my mother, and then her brother killed him." Sophia glanced up at Kiera for a moment before looking down at the her legs. It was a crazy story, and she would not have blamed the Gryffindor if she did not believe it. Unfortunately it was completely true.

Kiera gasped in horror. While she did not care for own mother she wouldnt never wish her death. How awful it must be to lose both parents! Kiera almost cried for the Slytherin. "I am so sorry." she uttered with sincerity. She knew the Slytherin probably wouldnt like this but she did it anyways. Kiera leaded over and gave Sophia a quick hug. "Why did your father do that?" she wondered outloud. Kiera wasnt the best at keeping her thoughts to herself.

Although Sophia had gotten better at relating to others and actually forging friendships she was still not the friendliest person. Sure she could open up to Estrella, but the two had been through a lot together. Kiera was still mostly a stranger to the Slytherin and it felt a bit odd to be hugged by her. But Sophia let it happen, grateful that the Gryffindor was trying so hard.

"There are a lot of reasons actually," Sophia began tentatively, looking at Kiera with a mostly blank expression. She left him for his cousin, then left the Death Eaters, and she had helped Shane find Sophia. But the Slytherin did not really feel like divulging all of that right now. In fact, she did not want to be talking about this at all.

"So...how have you been?" the noirette asked awkwardly. It was her pathetic attempt to change the subject and she did not have high hopes for its success.

Kiera took the hint at the change of subject. She wanted to know more about Sophia's parents deaths but she knew the older girl was uncomfortable saying anymore on the subject. She knew when the topic was closed from discussion. Kiera put her most normal smile on her face and answered the girl's question. "Mostly alright. I avoided Jacqueline during Christmas so I would say I am doing better than okay." she said with an honest smile. Kiera never wanted to see her mother again after what happened the last time. That would not happen again.

Sophia smirked, glad to put the subject of her parents to the side. She was very grateful that Kiera was willing to move on, and more than happy to talk about the Gryffindor's family. "Ah the joy of avoiding family at the holidays." It seemed backwards to most, but the Slytherin was quite used to the concept. She had been doing the same for the past few years.

"Does she want anything from you?" That was the worst, when your family was evil and they wanted something from you. Sophia had not really had any problems with her family until they started trying to use her.

Kiera laughed at Sophia's understanding of wanting to avoid some of her family. It was an unusual concept. Kiera looked down at the ground as Sophia's next question. Did Jacqueline want something from her? Kiera wasnt sure but then again why else would she had tried to search through Kiera's mind.

Kiera sighed. "I think so but I am not sure what she wants." she confessed.

Sophia rolled her eyes, not at Kiera but at the thought of a worthless parent wanting something from her child. It was pathetic, really, and it irked the Slytherin to the bone.

"Parents can be such a...hindrance. There are some people this world is simply better without." Sophia did not even bother to mask the contempt in her voice. Sure it was awful that her parents had died, but for the most part the teen did not miss her father. Her mother was a terrible loss and she grieved for her daily, but her father was a despicable man who had done more than enough to ruin her life while he was alive. His death had come as a welcome relief.

Kiera looked down at her hands as Sophia said the world was better without some people. Did Kiera really believe that about her mother? Would she want her mother to die? Kiera shook her head. She wouldnt like that. "That may be true but I would not want that for her." she said quietly. "She is trying most of the time." she admitted mostly to herself. It was just that last huge mistake.

Sophia smiled softly at Kiera. "No, of course not. I would be worried if you did. You never struck me as the violent type." This was exactly one of the reasons Sophia liked the Gryffindor. Although the Slytherin had convinced herself she was not sad about her father's death she had never truly wanted him dead. Sure she had thought it before, but Sophia was not serious about it.

"So, did you go to the Yule Ball?" Sophia hesitated as she asked the question, sounding unsure. It was the first thing that came to mind, being that Estrella had mentioned it to her recently. Definitely not the Slytherin's favorite subject, especially after the last Yule Ball Sophia had attended.

Kiera smiled at Sophia's response. No she wasnt a violent person. Kiera didnt believe she could ever intentionally harm someone.

Kiera was nervous as Sophia asked her next question. Everything had been going so well, but the Gyffindor wouldnt lie to the Slytherin. Kiera was afraid Sophia would be mad if she found out Kiera attended the ball with Bruin. The last time she had gone with Bruin did not have a charming ending. Kiera took a deep breath. "Well yes I did. I had been considering not attending because I didnt want to go alone..but at the last minute..uh Bruin asked me." she said hoping this would not end their friendly conversation. Kiera enjoyed Sophia's company much to her surprise.

Sophia's eyebrows raised with interest when Kiera revealed she had gone to the Yule Ball with Bruin. She had tried her best to think of the Gryffindor, but he seemed to be coming up in conversations everywhere. Not to mention he was in all of her classes, but it actually seemed easier to avoid actually talking to the boy than talking about him. Sure the two had a rather...interesting history together, but he was of no interest to Sophia anymore.

"Well good. You two make a cute couple." Sophia had no idea if Kiera and Bruin were actually dating, but it did not matter. She smiled at the Gryffindor. "Don't worry, I am over him. I actually have a boyfriend." The noirette's smile strengthened and she had to resist the urgle to giggle as she had with Estrella.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back