Closed The Truth Always Comes Out

Elowen Rydderch

OOC First Name
Cole
This topic portrays the ongoing need for self care and self love when struggling with any mental illness. If you or a loved one is struggling there is always help - hotlines are available in each individual country for these issues. Stay safe always <3
[approval ID#11141811]

Elowen had been seeing a psychologist for years. Though she had long ago been considered in recovering from EDNOS she knew it was still important to always care for her mental health. The blonde was always making strides in improving - including becoming more open with those close to her about how the struggle had become a victory. Tea time had ended though and as always Ellie was grateful that her doctor fit her into both of their very busy schedules. With a short hug goodbye she said a good night to the gentleman whom had been by her side for her recovery journey since day one. Now she was sure she'd have some downtime before Rob came over for dinner.

Elowen had of course thought of telling Rob about her illness, but she'd not had any episodes since meeting him - what would be the point. She wanted him to at least ask her to be his girlfriend before she revealed anything deeply rooted in her past.

With the start of the semester soon to be on his heels, Rob knew he was going to have to make the most of the time he had available to spend with Elly. The pair had seen one another on occasion for a little over a year, but since they found it difficult to find a time where their schedules were empty enough that Rob could drive down to see her for a few days, visits had been few and far between. After parking up down the road from her house, the professor couldn't help but notice that there was already someone else leaving the residency. Becoming suddenly awfully aware of his own heartbeat, he realised this was how Rhianne must have felt when she found out about Larissa. It was always something he was going to feel guilty about, but just because he had his own insecurities didn't mean he should have been jumping to any with Elly, he reassured himself.

Once he was sure the man had left, Rob left his car before locking it up and headed up towards the womans house. He'd only been here a couple of times before, and while it wasn't like she was his girlfriend, he certainly hoped that things between them weren't so fragile that there were others involved too. Trying not to act too confused, instead remaining calm and outgoing, he knocked on her door and waited for the blonde to answer, hoping that the weekend they had planned up ahead wasn't about to be ruined.

The overall enthusiat girl bounded over to the door at the sound of a knock. It had been a few weeks since she had see Rob, what with him preparing to be a professor and her study breakthrough in the breeding habits of Thestrals, so the fact that she was excited said very little about her. The blonde brushed back her bangs, a new addition to her hair style, and took time to adjust the purposefully messy bun on her head. When she finally felt like she might equal up to something considered nice, she opened the door.

"Hey stranger, fancy seeing you here." She smiled, unaware that he'd see the man leaving her house before coming in. Elly stepped out of the way, leaving room for Rob to come in. "Don't be shy." She invited.

As the door was flung open, Rob grinned towards the girl that had always managed to intrigue him since day one. She always had an air of mystery about her, although perhaps right now a little more than he cared to admit. "Well, just passing through the neighbourhood, thought I'd come by," he teased, entering through the threshold. Usually he would have kissed her in greeting, something they'd been doing since his break up from Rhianne last year, but on this occasion as he was unsure on where he stood in their relationship, he simply walked past her with a wink instead, moving on down the hallway a little. "Who're you talking about, shy?" he asked, his eyes glancing around the rooms he could see from his position in the hallway, curious to see if there was anything else he could find that would clear his insecurities. "How's your day been?" he asked casually, perhaps too casually for his own personally. In truth he just wondered how she'd answer.

Elowen smiled. "Well I'm in luck that you'd swing by tonight. I've got no plans, and a whole lot of movies and junk food." She said. "Must treat you before you have to eat school food after all." She teased. Elowen had decided to try and go for the normal greeting, but Rob moved past her, and with his back turned the blonde felt taken aback. She looked down at her outfit, and then briefly in the hall mirror to make sure there was nothing on her face or in her teeth. "Did I miss something?" She asked, realizing that as her therapist said she never knew what someone was thinking and it wasn't healthy to assume. She moved over to Rob. "It's been good, but I think you forgot a payment for getting to be in my presence!" She said jokingly, trying to keep the mood light. "Is something on your mind you seem... Less Rob-y."

If Rob was honest, junk food didn't sound good to him right now. His stomach was doing flips as he considered all the possibilities, and while he tried to keep calm, he was getting to the age where time wasn't to be wasted. As he turned to look at the woman who was checking herself out in the mirror, he raised her eyebrows at her comment, wondering whether she really hadn't caught on to the fact another man had just left her building. Wasn't she going to say anything at all? It was true though she could usually see straight through him, and in no mood to act like a teenager who kept things pushed low until they boiled and overflowed, he decided to just go for it. "Have you had a friend round recently?" he asked, not bothering about taking off his jacket yet. Part of him was ready for her to just admit that what they had wasn't serious at all, and since Rob was trying to start a family of his own, he wasn't sure if he'd just found another time waster.

Elowen knew Rob better than to be fooled by any niceties and when he finally spoke Elowen let out a sigh. "You saw him leaving." She said. "Rob it's not even close to what you might worry about, but.... can we sit down to talk about this please?" She moved over to the kitchen table, wanting to sit where eye contact was easily made, and waited for Rob to get comfortable before speaking. "Okay so who you saw leaving the house is my psychologist. Normally he sees me in my home after hours, so I don't have to cut time out in my work day to see him in his office." She paused before explaining. "I was diagnosed with an eating disorder when I was fourteen years old. I had a really hard time adjusting and wanted to make sure I was perfect at everything. At first food was just a back burner option and then it became more." Elowen unraveled a story she wasn't sure she had been ready to tell about her struggle, and talked longer than she meant to.

"So now I'm twenty eight and I'm recovered, but, I know that it is very important that I still see my psychologist occasionally. Usually it's when things just get hard and I feel overwhelmed, sometimes it's to talk about things that I feel silly worrying about. It's really helped me with getting a job, getting out of trouble, and honestly i wouldn't be the woman I am today without having gotten help." She took a breath. "So uhm, yeah. But I understand that's a lot to take in so if you'd like to skip on the whole maybe spending a weekend with me then I completely understand." She said, making it painfully obvious how hard it was for her to be completely transparent about not only her want for help - but her need for it as well.

When Elly gave in easily and admitted that there had been someone here, Rob thought it was over. He followed her as they sat down at the kitchen table, feeling a little worse for wear but trying to keep a brave face, when he silently listened to her explain what had been going on. By the time she was finished Rob knew he'd been a fool to ever think anything was wrong, and he sat there quietly as he tried to take it all in. "I feel like an idiot for jumping to conclusions in my head," he admitted. If it was the time for being open, now was it. "I know what the power of mental illness can do," he added. This wasn't about him in any sense, but he hoped she would take from it that he could understand. Fourteen years was a long time to live with something like that, and even though they weren't official he was glad she'd told him. It meant that she thought he was at least a good friend. "I'm proud of you," he stated, looking straight into her eyes. "It's no easy feat, not by a long shot, and here you are now, stunning as ever inside and out, and strong," he raised his eyebrows, wanting her to trust that he knew what he talking about. Commitment to women wasn't something Rob was particularly good at, but things with Elly had a connection he'd never felt with anyone before, "I'm glad you told me," he added, his gaze never leaving her face.

Through the process of telling her story, El did not once shed a tear, but as Rob spoke and showered her with compliments she blinked quickly to keep them from welling up. She was excited to be accepted by someone she genuinely liked, someone she thought not only as a friend but as more in the future. "I'm glad you asked bu..." She stopped for a moment and gave a cheeky smile. "You jumped to conclusions, did that mean you were concerned?" She asked. The change of subject was welcomed to her. "I mean, I'm not your girlfriend as far as I'm aware. Am I?" She asked, a smug smile now on her thin face. "I mean, I'm good at finding kids, and catching popcorn in my mouth, so I'm the whole package." The Scottish woman bragged cheekily.

Rob gave half a smile, “Of course I was concerned,” he’d been concerned since the moment he’d seen the guy leave, unable to think of anything else except how he may have been about to lose someone he actually thought he could see a future with. He chucked as she mentioned all the things she was good at, and she was certainly more than the whole package to him. “No, you’re not,” he replied, but as his eyes were still pouring into hers, he didn’t want to waste it anymore. he placed his hands on the table, beckoning her to hold his own. “But perhaps you should be.” She could have said no, said that what they had now was more suitable, but Rob wanted to be with someone who could be open with him and with someone he could trust, in addition to having fun with. “I want you to be my girlfriend Elly,” he’d been considering it for a while but after everything they’d both been through, didn’t they deserve to have things go their way for a change?

Elowen thought back for a moment to her attachments previously. To convincing herself she’d never let someone in again the way she had before, but here she was, at a table laughing with A man, feeling almost free. The burden of a secret kept on her chest lifted gently off by someone who genuinely cared about her well being. The blonde grinned. “Smooth one aren’t you, Robert Kain.” She mocked gently, teasing as ever. “I suppose if you think you can handle me, I ought to give you a try. After all, you’re easy on the eyes.” For a moment Elowen took a step back from humor. “I would like that really. You are a super nice guy, and I think I can see something in you besides a snacking partner.” Elowen places her hand on his. “Now how about some cheesy movies?” She asked, hoping from here forward there might be a more relaxed, defined air.

Last edited:
Rob wouldn’t usually have said he was one to commit to one person, but he couldn’t imagine doing anything else when he was around Elly. He grinned, taking that answer as a yes and that their relationship would now be official. “I think that’s fair,” he answered, moving across the table to kiss her on the lips for a few seconds, as he usually would have when entering the house for the first time. He raised his eyebrows as he sat back down once more, curious to know what she thought of him but hoping it would reveal in all good time. “Hey I can do both you know,” he teased, glad that it was out the way and that his fears had been put to rest. The last thing he needed with this new job too was to have an imminent break up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back