The New Girl

Zoii Zimmerman

OOC First Name
Gaby
Wand
Red Cedar, Unicorn Hair, 8"
Zoii sat outside in the courtyard, enjoying the cold breeze on her face. Another season, another school... This was Zoii's second school this year, and her fifth in the last three years. That's what happens when your father wants mistresses more than people in hell want ice water. She thumbed her page in her sci-fi book and looked around the courtyard, trying to remember everything about it, because she never knew how quickly the inevitable news of a move would come from her father.

True, the weather was stranger than what she was used to back in America, but at least it was tolerable to be outside. She was quite nervous about coming to Europe though. She knew no one but her father and Mistress/Wife #4, which she lovingly nicknamed Her Royal Shrewness. Thanks to the woman, who it should be mentioned is only 8 years older than me, I am now stuck in a country that I don't speak the language of, let alone know anyone in it. But as mom says, friends will come. I've just got to give them opportunities to meet me.

Zoii rationalized that sitting out here in the courtyard, attempting to look as approachable as possible, might be that opportunity and might lead to some kind of human interaction.

Dainty Zazuka Bones was walking through the school again. She found little joy in the beautiful school especially when she didn't think she was beautiful herself. It was not her lack of beauty that had her down though. She missed her school, she missed her life, she missed the joy that she used to have before she got here. Most of all she missed Brian and his loving smile. Zazuka wanted to cry again but she wasn't going to. It seemed like she missed her limit.

Zazuka was looking for Heidie really but didn't really want to see her. It was this kind of confusion that dimmed her smile from pure sunshine to that of a heat lamp. It was that heat lamp like smile that she gave when she spotted a girl reading a Sci-fi book. "I've read that one before." She said gently at the girl she had never seen around before. Then again she was only here for a year until the Tri-Wizard compleated. She hoped that she wasn't like the other Beaxbatons girls. A side form Heidie the other girls had been positively beastly.

"Are you liking it?" She asked again her smile sweet but not quite what she was used to giving. She just couldn't give something that she had feel with her whole heart.

Zoii looked up suddenly from her book, surprised that she was approached so casually. She had caught the vibe that most of these girls were 'privileged' to put it nicely. She brushed her bangs out of her face. She looked back down at the book, thumbing her page. "Actually, it's an old favorite of mine. I've read it more times than I can count. You can't find many sci-fi books in the wizarding world, so I hold on to everyone I can find. Though I really should visit a Muggle store and expand my library. However, I never stay in a place long enough to find a good one, and it's easier to move when you pack light."

Zoii had no idea why she just rambled on like that. She guessed it was the anxiousness of meeting someone new.

"Oh! I'm Zoii by the way. Zoii Zimmerman. You can call me Zoe-Zim, if you'd like."

Zazuka put her hand to her lips and laughed softly. "Oh I know what you mean. i had to leave half my books at Hogwarts because I couldn't bring them all with me and I didn't have the time to make a bottomless bag." She said while thinking of all the books she could have with her. Not that she really had the time to read them anyway. She had so much to do for the sixth year to prepare for the seventh that it was diffucult to just sit and do nothing.

That was probably what she was making herself do so she didn't have to think about everything that had gone wrong with her life. "True about the Wizarding world not having good sci-fi but then what is fiction to Muggles is fact to a Wizard I have found." She said thinking back on the text books she had read and noticing that she had read about simmiler things as a child but had been made to believe that it was all not true.

Zazuka looked up when she heard the girl's name. "Zoe-Zim... Interesting, well you may call me Zuka. It's short for Zazuka" She said as she offered the girl her hand. It seemed like she had made a new friend in this strange school

Zoii took her hand. It was nice to actually be able to hold a conversation about something she liked with someone. Someone who could talk books could always get on her good side.

"I totally agree. I grew up in the wizarding world though, but my grandfather taught me a lot about the Muggle world..." Zoii looked down at her feet, a little embarrassed, "He's a squib, but a really good guy." She looked up, feeling more confident as she spoke, "Smart too, probably could have been Minister of Magic! He'd probably still be better at it then the one now anyhow."

Zoii scrunched her nose, "Well yea, sorry, I know it's rude to talk politics. You said you were from Hogwarts? Which one? And if you don't mind me asking, what brings you here?"

Zazuka nodded. She also liked that she could talk to someone without getting into what she was feeling or touching upon subjects like Brian. Books where good because they couldn't hurt you in the way people could. This didn't mean that Zazuka was going to fall into them and shun everyone away. It only meant that they where her refuge for when things where too much. "Oh lucky you. I grew up with my mother and father. My mother was completely muggle but my father was a squib who hated magic. Imagen his surprise when I started making things hover at the age of three." She said laughing a bit.

There was nothing to laugh about when it came to Zazuka's life before Hogwarts but that much she could make small jokes about. "Don't worry about it. I wouldn't know much about politics and that's considering the fact that I spend quite a lot of time with in the Ministry. You see I'm a Seer third class." She said hoping the girl would believe her. Zazuka didn't know who it spread but now Zazuka was known as the freaky crazy girl who believes she can see the future.

They didn't know what Zazuka suffered because of her so called gift and she wasn't about to go off the deep end about it. They would think what they liked. "I'm from Hogwarts New Zealand. I'm here as a representative for my school for the Tri-Wizard Tournament. I'm not Champion though." She said with a bright smile. Someone had already said that she would have made a good Champion but with the amount of failer that she had just expired she seriously doubted it.

Zoii appreciated the light joke Zazuka made about her family and smiled slightly. "Seer, third class? That's pretty awesome. Though, I can imagine it's hard to get people to jump on board with that. I mean, no offence, but some people really don't like Divination in general. I'm pretty cool with it. Of course there are some quacks, but I think that the future isn't set, but possibilities can still be seen. Do you get flashes in the middle of class or something?"

She sat at the edge of the wall she was perched on, excited about this topic, as there wasn't an open Seer base in America. "And are Seer's common in New Zealand? I've never been there but I really want to go. Though, not if I have to move again. That would suck."

Zoii stopped herself from saying more. Sometimes when she got excited she tended to grill people with tons of questions.

Zazuka could sense Zoii starting to calm down and smiled kindly. "Well there are people that give true Seers a bad name by charging for their gift. That is also a good way to get rid of it. If I didn't know that my gift is somehow embedded in my mind I would have tried it a long time ago." She said with a soft sigh. She dropped the fact that she hated her visions that plagued her in the middle of the night.

"There are times. When I'm awake I get feelings more than full visions because I'm not all that good at controlling it yet. That's why I'm Third Class you see. When I finish school and prove that I can control my powers then I can get promoted to second class." She said cheerily this time. It was easier for Zazuka to talk about the rating system than it was to talk about her actual powers.

Zazuka shook her head. "Seers are not common anywhere. I am the only one that's still in school and there is one in the Ministry of Magic in New Zealand. I'm Seer number 215 so there are others I just don't know them." She said as she looked up. She was thinking again.

Zoii smiled encouragingly, hoping to make the girl feel at ease about talking about something so rare and personal. "I think that's really cool that you have such a unique gift. The controlling your powers part is pretty rough, but I'm sure you are determined enough to figure it out."

Zoii sensed a little unease in the air and changed the subject, "I know how you feel being a little left out by the way. This is my fifth wizarding school, my second this year. See..." She paused, but continued, trusting the girl and she trusted her. "My father fancies himself Merlin's gift to women, and likes to marry as many as he can in a row. So now we are on wife #4, not including my mom, and I've gone through the cycle of -- 'She's just a friend' to 'Please don't tell your step-mom, honey' to 'Looks like I'm a bachelor again' to wedding bells-- more times than a human being should. So therefore, I've moved a lot. My first four schools were in the States, where I was born and raised, but now I'm here, as of two days ago. Who knows, maybe I'll be in New Zealand next. I wouldn't put it past my father."

Zoii felt good connecting with someone who was also an outsider. It seemed right that this Zazuka girl become her first friend here.

Zazuka smiled back as brightly as the gloom in her heart would allowe her. When the gloom had settled in she really didn't know but she hoped that it would go away soon. By the time she saw Brian again would be nice. "Thank you for that. You would think after three years of study I would have a good handle on myself but I don't." She said laughing softly. She was determaned to figure out not only her gift but how to controle what she had to do.

Zazuka listened as Zoii told her about her own life and shook her head. "Some people don't know what they want. I can say that about myself more often then I can say that about anyone else. Perhaps he will stay with this one. Then agian if you do move to New Zealand then you would be part of Hogwarts. I could introduce you to Andy and Jade. And my adoptive sisters Kealey, Trista and Luna though the first two would have graduated by then. Twins you see. I could show you the garden I've worked on since I first got there." She said then stopped. She was going on about her own school as if she didn't like anything at Beauxbatons. She loved the school grounds here because everything was so beautiful but she just missed home so much.

"Sorry about that." Zazuka said as she placed her hand in the back of her head and smiled nervacely. It had been a long time since she had acedently talked too much but it seemed like she was getting into a lot of old habits at Beauxbatons.

Zoii smiled, thinking that talking about Hogwarts probably helped Zazuka feel better. "Wow Hogwarts sounds great. They are on the House system there right? What house are you in? And what are the other houses like? "

Zoii stopped herself, "Sorry, I'm doing it again... lots of questions. It's just, whenever I hear about a new school, I try to gather as much info as I can... just in case. Being the new girl everywhere you go is," she took a deep breath in obvious frustration, "really tough."

She scratched the side of her head, fidgeting a little under the emotional weight of what she just said. Beauxbatons really was a nice place, but between the language barrier and the new location, Zoii just hadn't found anything yet to make her feel happy for getting out of bed in the morning or even a feeling of butterflies. The only feeling she had felt in her stomach was that of nausea, which tended to come every time she might have to talk, or whenever she was just ignored by any of the students, or even the professors.

Zazuka laughed noticeing Zoii smile somewhat polightly. She knew she was kind of babbling. Zoii seemed to be helping her babble by asking quiestions. "I'm a Ravenclaw. Sixth year Prefect, Head of House's list for the first time last year when I got solid 'O's on my O.W.Ls" She said with only the slightest but of pride in her voice. She didn't want to seem like she was bragging about something like that.

Especially since Ravenclaws seemed to be graded more harshly than the other houses because of the steriotype that sorrounded the House. "If you go by what's expected Ravenclaws are the smartest and wisest of the four groups while Gryffendors are the bravest. Hufflepuffs are the most tanatiose while Slytherins are the most determaned to meet their ends. Some say that Slytherins are evil but I have made friends with quite a few and they are just misunderstood most of the time." She said thinking back on the people she had had gotten to know as well as the Slytherin that was now her cousien.

Zazuka looked up and thought that it was maybe time to start heading towords the cafeteria. "Want to eat lunch with me? It gets kind of lonely sometimes seeing as the three that they chose to represent Hogwarts New Zealand don't run in the same circules." She said with a sigh. Mike had his issues as Champion while Link had a way of making her nervece.

Zoii, stomach grumbling, smiled. "Yea sure. I'm starved." She was really craving a turkey sandwich. Though, who knows with the crazy food around here. "Hogwarts sounds really cool though. I'm glad that everyone doesn't fit their stereotype, though I'm sure that still plagues the thoughts of the thirteen year olds going through their identity crisis." Zoii chuckled a little. She had a problem with making lame jokes around people she didn't know very well.

As they walked Zoii asked curiously, "So there's three of you here? Shame you don't get along. I mean, I'm sure they are nice right?

((Sorry it's taking me so long to post... I'm in class. :) ))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back