Closed The Long Way Home

Lucas watched Einar, chewing lightly on his lip. "I, um..." He ran a hand through his hair. "I've got a good bit of money on my own, now," He offered gently. "Do you... do you need anything?" He asked, pushing both hands into his pockets. "Art supplies, clothes... anything." He hesitated a second, looking down at his shoes, before taking his hand and trying to brush it gently against Einars. "I have all of your things still, in the spare room closet. The things you didn't take. And I go back on the weekends, clean up and leave some flowers... like you asked me to," He offered, peeking at Einar through his hair. He knew he was blushing, but he couldn't help it.

Einar watched with some interest as Lucas spoke, considering in the moments now all the ways in which his friend had changed. All the ways in which he hadn't. "I have the basics, and a little spare change to get myself set up," he said. "I'll try to get a job soon, then I can bring in a little money too," he didn't want Lucas to feel like he had to look after him, didn't want him to think Einar couldn't fend for himself. He gave an appreciative smile, "Thanks for doing that," he said sincerely. "I appreciate it," and he really did.

Lucas listened to Einar talk, scuffing his toe against the ground. "You don't have to get a job," He offered gently. "Why don't you just settle back in? Get used to being back," He bit his lip, and peeked back up. Something about this seemed nice, oddly familiar. He leant in a little bit, unthinkingly going for a kiss. But he came to again and pulled back just as quickly, clearing his throat and looking away. "Have you had dinner?" He asked gently.

Einar gave an appreciative smile but gently shook his head. "No, I need to get a job," he said. If only so he had money and could pay for things that he wanted. He didn't just need to rely upon Lucas' kindness. "It'll be part time, and I can paint on my days off," he said, laying out his plan. Make enough money to mostly get by and build his art that he could hopefully one day do that. Einar noted that Lucas got close, seemed like he almost went for kiss, but Einar was sure that they wouldn't just pick up where he had left it. "Dinner would be nice. Do you want to go out for dinner or stay in?" Einar asked.

Lucas swallowed hard, keeping his face turned away and his hands tightly in his pockets. He took a deep breath, pushing down any emotions and just closing himself off. "I usually just go down the road to eat," He offered softly, letting his hair fall to cover his face, almost hiding behind it. "Their food is pretty good."

Einar nodded, "Let's go there then," he suggested. He put down his bag and from it took out a few bits and pieces he would need for eating out. "Maybe I'll see if they're hiring while we're there, then I can maybe get us slightly cheaper food,"

Darn it Amodeus

Lucas had walked away a bit, putting some space between them and taking a deep breath. He needed to keep himself grounded. This wasn't the Einar he used to know. But maybe the person he used to know wasn't good for him, either. That person had, for all intents and purposes, abandoned him. For years. Lucas offered a soft sound of agreement, feeling himself close off. Somehow he doubted Einar had ever loved him. A part of him didn't think he deserved love. He was a passing shadow in everyones life. Once Einar had satisfied his guilt over leaving, he'd be gone again, too, moving on from Lucas like everyone else tended to.

Einar grabbed his CV and then glanced back at Lucas. He noted that the man had stepped a little away from him. He had a slightly vacant look in his eye and Einar just watched him for a moment before closing the gap between them and trying to catch his gaze. "You good to go?" he asked, a hand reaching to be placed on Lucas' shoulder if that was what was needed to ground him. "You're going to lead the way, because I don't know this area at all,"

Lucas took a deep breath, turning back to Einar with a careful smile- one he'd used all his life. "Sure, come on," He offered, stepping away again and walking off, leading the way out of the apartment and down the street. He kept his hands in his pockets and his guard up. Lucas was good at this sort of thing- keeping his guard up, his distance. The polite performance that gave the proper appearances of paying attention without having to put himself out there. It hurt his heart that it had to come to this... that he'd been reduced to nothing more than the shadow he'd always feared he was. He kept quiet, lost in thought. Maybe this was just his life... he'd never be anything more than the shadow chasing after his star.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back