Khione Hawthorne

OOC First Name
Mintzy
Wand
Holly Wand 11 Essence of Phoenix Feather

hogwartsmonthlystamp.png

Year 19 - Semester 1 - Issue One

A New School Year

A fresh and intimidating start for some, a burst of renewed hope for others; whichever category claims your situation, attending a school for the teachings of witchcraft and wizardry is never to be a wholly straight-forward one.

For a start, as I found myself quick to notice within the early hours of my joining Hogwarts, the castle itself seems to enjoy a habit of making students late for lessons with each twist and turn of a shifting staircase.
To avoid finding yourself in this rather daunting situation, take the time, when you have some to spare, to simply observe the movements and patterning of the staircases. There seems to be no set connective structure, but each staircase has its own rhythm it should appear to prefer following. Make a note of these and keep it handy just in case.

So, having finally achieved your arrival at your classes, you are likely to find yourself in the company of one of the school's professors, new or old. Ignore what rumours you may hear about some 'darker' natured members of staff, as I have been informed they may truly be mere puffskeins on the inside. Although, I do not advise you test this theory for yourself.
For those of you new to the school, you should be trying your up-most to seek the highest grades you can. These grades are, alone, highly rewarding in reputation, but also a very handy guide to see what subjects you may struggle with in the future.

The word on Quidditch (a sport I advise those unaware of the rules and possible joys to read up) is a highly promising one of fresh-faced recruits to each and every team, and the return of high-spirited, strong-playing members. If you are a Quidditch fan or even remotely acquainted with the sport, then I strongly recommend making an appearance in your team stands come the first match of the season. If rumour is anything to go by then any one of the four houses could be in with a fair shot at the cup, this year.

Finally, a wish of well to all of the readers out there, whether you are in your first, last, or any year in between. Keep earning those house points, challenging yourselves, and remembering that the magic of this school unites us all equally.

Ready, Set, Go!

It's out with the old, and in with the new, as we welcome seventy-five new first years! It's a big lot this year, but I'm sure that they'll soon feel right at home. Let's help them all settle in shall we? Speaking of new recruits, how about our new Head People? They have big shoes to fill, as Aphrodite and Samual did a great job last year! Good luck to Troxa Matthias and Artemis Jackson You'll need it guys! Let's hope the two can handle all the extra responsibility this year. We've got two Slytherin's this year guys, so watch out! Unfortunately, no chance of any romance between our Head people, as both are already involved. I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed for next year, to shake things up a bit. Still, Artemis and Troxa have good heads on their shoulders, so try not to drive them too crazy guys, the have got NEWTs to concentrate on.

As for the prefects; I'm sure they're all absolutely terrified. Being a prefect is no mean feat, and with the added pressure of OWLs, it can be a nightmare. Still, it's a real honour, so I applaud those lucky (or unlucky) few who have been trusted with this responsibility. We've got eight new prefects, and all eight are pretty formidable!

Ravenclaw:Isabella Fedele & Bridie Cortez
Slytherin: Benjamin Chase & Kailie Styx
Gryffindor:Peter Lurken & Taylor Blare
Hufflepuff: Ai Edogawa & Heath James

Congratulations guys! We hope you'll do us proud, and (if possible) let us off with harmless rule breaking we may commit. We're a peaceful lot, but everyone has a little fun every now and then.
So, here we go, with a new year ahead of us. We're going to miss those who are gone of course, but it's onward an upward. We've got a lot to look forward to, and don't forget that the holidays are never too far away. Now though, it's time for us all to get to work; including you prefects!</SIZE>

Top Ten Firsts of Every Student in HNZ

First glimpse of the castle
If the first time was through the window of the Hogwarts Express or if it was years before, the first time when you know away from home for the next few years is something special. There’s this towering beacon of light in the darkness; welcoming all new and old students into its warmth.

First Sorting
Do you still remember that first time you've walked on the corridors of Hogwarts New Zealand as you enter the Great Hall for sorting? Then as you enter the hall, you can feel Goosebumps every way, and the feeling or worry just gets to you, though some would be ecstatic about sorting, and as the hat is places on your head a new journey begins for you.

First Class
It is not that far fetched to say that Hogwarts is completely different from almost every other school in the world. The classrooms here are unlikely to teach algebra or chemistry. Instead the corridors are filled with the sounds, light (and smells) of students practicing spells and potions. The first one may not be the most interesting but certainly deserves its place on the list.

First time on a broom
Regardless if it leaves you with the feeling of elation in your stomach or the taste of soil in your mouth it is one of those moments which is unlikely to forget. Some may even become obsess with the feeling and start chasing the flying dragon maybe into the quidditch pitch others like will be glad to get back on solid ground

First quidditch game
If you are playing or cheering for your team. The atmosphere that fills the pitch has enough energy to power a computer. Even if sports aren't your thing it is good to show some house spirit. The season is underway and the first matches are amazing. If you missed them be sure to save the date of the next one.

First spell
There is nothing quite as satisfying (and quite so scary) than seeing a feather in front of you, breaking all the rules of physics that you've been taught and knowing that you caused this magic to happen, and let's not even start on turning a textbook into a jewelry box.

First adventure
Different people have different definition of adventure. The First adventure could be a highlight of the memories that you’ll form throughout your stay. Even if you aren't a Gryffindor I’m sure there’s a lot of things you would like to explore and a lot of questions you’d like to be answered. The Forbidden Forest is always welcome to explore if you’re that adventurous. Whatever you call an adventure Hogwarts will be able to supply one even if you don't want it to.

First Halloween
Come all those who aren't afraid of things that go bump in the dark (and those who are). On this night, Hogwarts turns from the school we know to a school of witchcraft from a thriller story, including the bats. Head to the great hall for a night of fun, pumpkins and lots of lollies to enjoy. Just don't forget your costume!

First Yule ball
Once I year the Great Hall is turned into a winter wonderland dream and dresses and suits are on the go. It is the last night of celebration before the end of semester one filled with dancing and a delicious feast. A must visit for all.

First Year
A time when most of these first occur. Also a time of making friends, making enemies and having fun. The beginning of the seven years at this amazing magic school and the start of a magical journey that will last a lifetime and will remain forever in our hearts.

Professor and Student's Spotlight!

We have here Professor David Pike to answer some of our questions, let's get to know him more.

1. Firstly, How do you feel being the youngest Professor in the school?

I suppose it's fine. Although, at times it does feel a bit strange walking by people I used to go to school with and them looking at me like I'm some all important professor. But, other then that it's all good.

2. Why did you decide to teach a subject like Muggle Studies?
I decided to teach muggle studies because I always found it interesting. I've always loved Muggle authors and poets, so I figured that teaching about them for a living couldn't be so bad.

3. Do you think it is worthwhile to teach us magical kids to blend in with muggle society?
I think it's very important that we both understand and appreciate muggle culture, because in the end we're all human. And blending in is one of the first steps to understanding. If that makes any sense at all.

4. Well, that is very exciting. Another question though, is there any other position you feel you would like to try?
Yes, I do believe that acceptance starts with understanding.

5. So you think that being able to understand muggle culture would help us accept it?
Yes, I do believe that acceptance starts with understanding.

6. Were just about finished though, how do you think your first time at teaching is going?
I like to think that I'm doing well. But, we'll see.

Well there we have it boys and girls. How do we feel about that?

Meet the first year Matt Greene. Let's see what the newbie thinks about the school, the students, and everything else.

1. What do you think of Hogwarts so far?
I don't really get a choice? Wow that's just rude. Anyway, Hogwarts seems fine, but what sort of school has crackpot paintings and staircases that move and don't even get me started on this stupid house prejudice crap.

2. Moving staircases and talking paintings, so you don't know much about magic then huh? How are you coping with that? Is it difficult to settle into a who new way of life?
No, I was thrown into this world. I'm adapting, since I am apparently really good at that. So far, I have a million questions about magic, but I don't know who to ask.

3. Asking any of the Professors or perhaps your head of house would be best for that. Anyway, onto the next question. Apart from the obvious magical differences between the muggle world and the magical world, what other things do you see differences in?
It kind of looks the same to me. Except for the wizard folk being kind of bad at the fashion. Everything seems to be robes and more robes.

4.So what was it like for you getting your Hogwarts letter then?
I was confused. I kind of hated it, but that's personal.

5. Okay, okay, last question. What do you think of Quidditch?
What's Quidditch?

And there we have it guys. Who's going to be the next professor and student to be spotlighted? Til next time!

Horoscopes for Everyone!

Aries:
Seems like now is a good time to that few risks. Aries you've been holding back and you know it. Study that little bit hard, play that little bit harder. Just be more than you are already. You'll achieve that goal that seemed an impossibility. Don't give up on yourself Aries.

Taurus:
You've been feeling like you no longer have any control. Things just haven't been going your way, have they? But no worries Taurus. Take a few steps back, relax, breathe and know that good things do come. This is a small storm Taurus, reflect, learn and grow. Before you know it things will be better.

Gemini:
You have been on fire recently! Now, Gemini this is very important, perhaps it's time to retch out to an old friend, someone you've maybe forgotten? Time to open those books and study a little harder. Those perfect grades you've been wanting are just around the corner. With this brings the possibity of new love interests!

Cancer:
Keep your friends close, but be careful! It's always important to be sure of your friends. It might just turn out that one of them is less of a friend than you think. Be open to new friends, and open to friendships once lost. Don't however let all of this cloud your school studies, great things are in store for you Cancer.

Leo:
You've gathered quite a set of admirers Leo. Well done! This is good for you Leo, giving that little boost that you've been praying for. Grab it with both hands and go with it. Try something new, speak to new and different people. Stop closing yourself off Leo and you'll have a grand old time.

Virgo:
You've had a set of difficult choices Virgo, it seems unfair, but it'll be fine. This is just one big journey to that big hope of yours. Get more fresh air, spend more time with family, you've been pushing them away lately! They will help keep you grounded. Good times are abound for you Virgo.

Libra:
Time to think of those around you Libra! While you've focused on yourself a lot over the past few months, it time to think of those around you. Take a few more breaks from your studying. It's good to focus on yourself Libra, but consider others. If you do, the things you've been struggling with should come a little bit easier.

Scorpio:
Bad tempered Scorpios, don't make good friends. Keep that anger of yours in check Scorpio, consider others and just spend a little bit more time doing those things you love. To clear that cluttered head of yours. Things will work out Scorpio and you know it!

Sagittarius:
Be sure to keep your eyes open for new opportunities Sagittarius. You've been doing well recently, but be sure to watch out for opportunities. The stars appear to be in your favour Sagittarius, study more, and give that extra push to be sure of something exciting happening very soon!

Capricorn:
Right now Capricorn you need to be just a little bit more innovative. Whether it be the method you use to study, or that special someone you've been chasing. Try something new, do something different. Just push yourself more. You might have a few bad experiences but you'll end up with success.

Aquarius:
You've not been too tactful recently Aquarius. You need to remember that you've had it easy lately and not everyone is as well off as you. Whether that be in money, friends, family or grades. Just bare that in mind, and you'll find people are more willing to spend time with you. This will forge much stronger friendships, you'll see.

Pisces:
You've been awfully busy Pisces. Friends and family have been demanding so much of you. Maybe it's time to let them know what's going on. That you need you time. Tell them, they'll understand. If not, it'll just get worse Pisces. It'll help keep you calm and focused, which is good as we head towards exams.

Editor's Note
<SIZE size="75"> I'd like to thank all of my lovely staff who were able to get all this done on time and for keeping up with me. The paper wouldn't be complete without all of you. So thank you! I look forward to our upcoming issues and future writers!

<i></i>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back