The Bennett Household

Carl Bennett

Carlisle jumped in his seat as the familiar barn owl swooped through his kitchen window, all sitting at the dinner table gasping in amazement as she dropped a letter next to the side of his plate. As he figured, it was from Estrella. Finding a perch on the coatstand, Harper began to preen her feathers, watchful for any treats. Thomas, his toddler son, clapped his hands in excitement and burbled. "Fuh-nee!" he giggled.

With enthusiasm Carlisle ripped open the letter, his face straining with confusion as he read Estrella's letter.
Carlisle,
I don't know how to stay this easily, but I think that you should avoid contacting anyone from my world.  There are some very dangerous people out there at the moment, and you can't trust anybody.

It's great that Thomas is walking and talking. I wish I could be there to see it.
I don't believe I should come for holiday break, either.  Things are just too risky.

Love,
Estrella

Staring at the letter oddly for a minute, as Estrella never wrote letters this short, Carlisle folded it up and placed it on the table. He foraged through a drawer for owl treats, and then gave one to the greedy Harper, who snapped it up with gusto. He pulled out a pen and a piece of paper, and began to write a reply. His family stared at him, but they did not say anything.
Estrella,
I'm very sorry that you cannot come for Holiday Break, but I suppose wherever you're safe, you're safe.
And what is this about not trusting anybody?  You don't have to hold things back.  I'm having Lucius, as he has asked me to call him, over for coffee in about a week.  I'm glad that I can at least know what's going on in your world.
Love,
Carlisle

Lucius rapped once again on Carlisle Bennett's simple muggle house with distaste in his expression. The fact that he was conversing with a muggle, and of all things, meeting with one undermined his honor quite a bit. But extreme measures had to be taken, and if that meant getting down and dirty, that was what had to happen.

His expression changed instantly to that of a pleasant one, smiling at Carlisle as he opened the door. He was confident that he had won the man's trust. What a fool, he thought, as he was invited inside and sat down.

"Lucius!" Carlisle exclaimed in greeting, pulling out a chair for the old man to sit in. "I'm so glad that you could come and have coffee with me. Do you have any news?" his expression was hopeful. He hadn't received a return letter from Estrella yet, and the speed with which she was replying was just not like her.

"I'm fine, thank you," Lucius said in a fakely nice voice, his eyes revealing for a second smugness. "They're doing nothing but staying at Hogwarts, it seems. I even have a family friend keeping an eye on them."

"That's good," Carlisle mused. "Estrella hasn't replied to my last letter. It usually only takes her a day or two to write back; its been about a week."

Lucius feigned alarm, but only a quiet amusement reflected behind his eyes. He thought it might be possible that she knew that her uncle was being duped. She was just trying to find the right way to say it. That's the problem with Ravenclaws, he thought, always trying to find the best way to say things instead of just saying it. He mused that she was only worried about her uncle's skin, and was taking very careful steps.

"Interesting," Lucius drawled aloud, looking at his coffee with distaste, which was a plain muggle brand. He had barely touched it, but had taken a sip nonetheless so not to throw off his composure and be rude. He wanted to pull the man along on a string until he could be crushed, or until he found a way to get the two girls back.

"No news at all, you say?" he raised an eyebrow. "So what did you send back in her last letter? May I see what she sent?" Looking at Carlisle's confused expression, he reassured him with a poisonous demeanor, "Just to make sure they're really safe."

Carlisle shuffled over to a kitchen drawer, and began to fumble through a stack of papers. "Sure. Here it is," he said, and he handed the letter to Lucius.

Lucius unfolded the letter, noting the many wrinkles with distaste. That's the problem with muggles, they're disgusting, he thought to himself as he read the letter.
Carlisle,
I don't know how to stay this easily, but I think that you should avoid contacting anyone from my world.  There are some very dangerous people out there at the moment, and you can't trust anybody.

It's great that Thomas is walking and talking. I wish I could be there to see it.
I don't believe I should come for holiday break, either.  Things are just too risky.

Love,
Estrella

Lucius nodded his head, as if in reaffirmation to the letter. She's warning him without saying too much, he thought, and the man is too stupid to recognize it. That was a good thing, though. Carlisle was off his guard, and he had to be for Lucius' plan to work.

Carlisle started as an owl swooped in through the window, but Lucius kept his composure. He was accustomed to owls suddenly dropping in, and the barn owl in question held a letter. His eyes flared, however, as he thought, One of Estrella's letters has already been swiped. Did she write another? He had read the other one, which had contained some rather cryptic yet warning stuff about him.

He leaned back in his chair, watching as Carlisle fumbled for an owl treat and a letter. He wondered if her next letter would contain any more incriminating information about himself.

Carlisle threw an owl treat to Harper, who dropped the letter on the table and snatched the treat in her beak gladly. Excitedly, he opened the letter, but his face fell as he read it.
Carlisle,
People from my world always aren't the greatest to hang out with.  There are things going on now that even I don't understand.  Just hang in there, okay?  I'll tell you everything when I actually learn something worth knowing. 

Truthfully, I don't even know when I'll be back. I might not even return for the summer.  Things are becoming too complicated.  I'll update you soon.

Tell Lucius Malfoy I said he's an old bugger, okay?

Love,
Estrella

He shook his head. Her words seemed almost snarky. What was going on with her? He sighed as he handed Lucius the letter. "What's up with the last bit? I think it's quite rude for her to say that," he said apologetically.

"Oh, just an old joke," Lucius lied. "At the house cup last year I visited, and my granddaughter and I were exchanging insults. She must have picked it up from dear Elizabeth." But inside, he was fuming at the girl's insolence. She'll get what's due to her when the Holiday comes around, he thought to himself maliciously.

And he could see why her letter was snotty. She must have been agitated that her first letter had been stolen. Carlisle was an old fool; this letter had not contained anything about himself, besides the last jab, and the muggle man was too stupid to take heed to Estrella's hints.

Carlisle shrugged, apologizing again. "It's just not like her. Ever since her dad came around, she hasn't been contacting me really or anything. I'm worried about her." He turned to Lucius, suddenly thinking of something. He was actually becoming suspicious. "Do you happen to know Tristan?"

Lucius shifted in his seat uncomfortably, and he turned to face Carlisle with a deceiving smile. "I do happen to know who his family is; they're very prominent in Norway." And he was not really lying; the Drage family was an old wizarding family. And they had quite a history of being malicious. Tristan's own father was a tyrant in his own way. Lucius respected that.

After pulling himself out of deep thought, he then lied, "No, I cannot say that I've ever met Tristan himself. He seems more of the quiet type. He was an auror, once, though."

"Oh," Carlisle said, pouring himself some coffee. He offered Lucius some but was declined. "I never really knew his profession. When Lorelei first told me he was a wizard, I never really believed her."

"I suppose never being raised around magic would entitle you to some doubt," Lucius replied. "You can't be blamed for any of it." He raised an eyebrow, and drawled, "Why didn't you want him to take her in the first place?" He received the reaction he was expecting, one of confusion and anger.

Carlisle's face reddened as he remembered the events of the summer, and he said poisonously, "My sister died, and the fact that he never came back for anything, not even his own daughter, was what deterred me. He's gone for ten years, and then all of a sudden, he wants his daughter to come back with him? That sounds so wrong to me." He was really getting worked up over such a simple question. "Sorry," he said, turning to Lucius, "I'm still angry about all of it."

Obviously, Lucius thought snidely, but instead turned to Carlisle with an understanding expression. "And Tristan never contacted you after your niece left?"

"Nope," Carlisle replied, taking a sip of coffee. "But if she was running, why would she come back here?" He shrugged his shoulders. "I'm just glad that she's safe at Hogwarts. I'm quite frustrated that she's not telling me anything. Has there been anything strange going on in your world lately? She mentioned it in one of her letters."

"No, nothing at all," Lucius lied with gusto, standing up with his cane. There was nothing else to be found here.

"I'm sorry to cut off our meeting, but I really must be going. Goodbye, Mr. Bennett." He turned to the door, and then thought about it first. "You will tell me if you receive any other news?" His expression was innocent and compassionate, even though beneath his skin was a snideness fraught with suspicion.

"Of course!" Carlisle replied, quite taken aback. "Thanks for joining me. Hope to see you soon." He had pulled out a pen, beginning to write a letter back to Estrella.

Looking over at Harper, Carlisle wrote a quick letter, giving her a second treat. Before she flew off, he said, "Can you try to make her give me a substantial reply? Please? I'm lost here." With a hoot the owl flew off, and he sat back in his chair, wiping the sweat from his brow. He didn't know what to do.

Carlisle was quite surprised as Harper glided in through the window of his barn, upsetting the horses. He finished out tended to the animals, and then walked to the house, the letter in his hands. As the owl glared at him, he said, "I'm getting you a treat, don't worry. I'm quite impressed, actually. This letter took what, two days to get?"

He entered the house, still holding the letter as his young son, Thomas, waddled into the kitchen, giggling as he chased the family cat. While his son played, he sat down in his normal fashion, his brow furrowing as he read the letter.

Carlisle,
As I have stressed so many times before, I don't even understand what happened over the summer.  I'll say that I was imprisoned for a time.

I do mean the best, I really do.  Otherwise I would be telling you all that I could.  But sending such information over long distances is not wise.

And really, Lucius Malfoy is not the man to be chumming around with.  Especially considering you're a muggle, and he was once one of Voldemort's greatest servants.  A bloody death eater!

I wish I could tell you more, I really do.  Just keep to yourself and don't meddle in the affairs of my world, okay?  Think about your family too, not just me.

Love,
Estrella

Quite confused, Carlisle foraged for a sheet of notebook paper, and soon found a piece. He began to write with a pen that was chewed down and nearing the end of its usage.
Estrella,
What in the world are you talking about?  Death Eaters and Voldemort?  Who the hell are they?

I'm getting very, very worried.

Love,
Carlisle

He sent the letter off with Harper, putting his head in his hands. After reading Estrella's letter, he was quite agitated, but on the other hand, he didn't think it would be wise to contact Lucius Malfoy either. Sometimes, your word had to be broken.

Carlisle was surprised as there was a thunk at his window, the glass pane kept shut to block out the frigid Minnesota weather. When he saw that it was Harper, struggling to carry a package, he opened the window quickly, and she flew in, collapsing on the table. He quickly got some treats, and then thought quickly. He had caught a few mice in mousetraps around the house, and thrown them outside. Setting the package down on the table, he hurried out to the barn, grabbing the mice and bringing them back inside. His wife would be very angry at him for it, but at least the owl would be provided for.

Setting the mice on a plate he allowed her to eat, then opened up the satchel. In it was something heavy and wrapped with brown paper. A letter also fell out, and he snatched it, tearing it open and reading quickly.

Carlisle,
This should at least explain something.  I'll be sending another shortly.
Love,
Estrella

Knowing that the package must be it, he grabbed the heavy package and ripped it open. Before him was a scarlet book with gold trim, the title written in intricate letters, The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts. Sitting back, he began to read it from the first page, and became thoroughly intrigued. This was a whole history of Dark wizards and arts, and although he understood mostly none of it, it was good reading. It was not until the last chapters that he found a little bit of information on the Death Eaters and Voldemort that Estrella had mentioned.

Writing a letter of reply, he stuck it in the bag for Harper to carry back, who left when she was full and rested.

Estrella,
I've read most of it but haven't really found anything.  This was actually a good book, send the other one A.S.A.P.
Love,
Carlisle

Carlisle opened the window to an extremely irritated Harper, her amber eyes full of anger and reproachfulness. He knew exactly what she would have said if she had the ability to speak, F*** this sh*t.

He knew that it was Estrella's book, and he opened the satchel quickly, having finished The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts.

Carlisle,
This one should be much more helpful.  It's more current and makes for easier reading.
Love,
Estrella

PS: Don't do anything rash, okay?

Inside was a more modern looking book, and after feeding Harper again he sat down in the living room, cracking the spine. His son Thomas played at his feet with the family dog, while his wife and older son watched TV. The flashing box he quickly ignored, however, as he began reading about the Death Eaters. Along the way he found out all about Voldemort.
And surprisingly, Lucius Malfoy's name was in there as well. Possibly Voldemort's most ruthless servant...

Angrily, he snapped the book shut and put his head in his hands. Lucius had fooled him all along, and he had fallen for it. What was he going to do? He couldn't let Lucius know what he knew.

Sending a quick reply back to Estrella, he went to work on the farm, distraught and musing on what he was going to say to Lucius when he came back around.[/color]

Weeks later, Lucius returned to the Bennett Household, looking for Carlisle. His smirk of satisfaction was covered by a concerned scowl as he knocked on the door, quite urgently.

He invited himself in as Carlisle opened the door. Before he allowed the muggle man to speak, he said quickly, "Something very, very bad has happened." Hobbling on his cane, he made it to the table, sitting down and declining anything to eat or drink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back