Tea is Terrible

Wolfgang Kirk

Wolfgang balanced his cup of coffee and pulled out a chair, feeling more like he was performing at a circus than taking an evening break at a tiny cafe. He of course could have hovered the mug of steaming liquid, though it was obvious that he trusted his hands more than his charm work. The middle aged man sighed and took a well deserved sip. While work wore him to the bone, he was glad to have something to do. Silently the German wizard observed the rest of the customers. It wasn't very busy for a Friday.

Cecily had managed to shrink her packages, having spent the better portion of an hour shopping for family and friends. Although she'd have to admit finding a gift for her new father in law had been next to impossible. What did one get so taciturn a man? She'd found the answer in an off the way little shop she normally wouldn't have gone into yet she'd had a feeling and went with it. Happily she could now admit, since she had found presents for most of the men of her new family.

Sighing, she straightened the thin grey scarf she'd paired with a white long sleeved shirt, black vest with paisley print and slim jeans. Comfortable boots completed the outfit. Deciding to nip into the small cafe for a nice cup of tea, she had placed her order and was about to grab a seat when her eyes met very familiar ones. A smile on her lips, laughter in her green eyes, she approached him. "I believe we were supposed to meet here for coffee one day," she laughed lightly.

The middle aged wizard reached for a coaster, sliding it across the table and setting his cup down. He wasn't about to leave rings where so many had before him. One of the first things Wolfgang noticed was the slight bump the woman carried around with her, before he noticed the fact that he recognized her. He smiled when she addressed him. "I believe we were, Cecily Rambolt. I can't imagine the headmistress of a school crawling with young witches and wizards has much time for a coffee break."

Cecily slid into the seat across from his, setting her tea down. "Oh they manage very well without me nowadays, so I can nip out early most days. Wonderful really," she laughed, "considering the baby likes afternoon naps." Her chin rested in one hand as her eyes took in his features fondly. "How have you settled in at the Ministry, Wolfgang Kirk?"

Cynthia walked up to the pair wearing a tight green dress with a light yellow jacket over smiling brightly as she smelt another story, this was definitely turning into a good week for gossip. "Well if it isn't everyone's favorite Headmistress, you are a difficult one to track down!" Cynthia said sweetly as looked at the pair, "How are you today, Miss. Rambolt?" Cynthia said as her mouth opened slightly as though she'd just remembered something that she'd never actually forgotten. "Or should I say Mrs. Zhefarovich!" Cynthia said as though what she'd just remembered was the greatest thing she'd ever had in her life and she was slightly surprised that she'd let it go. "This must be Mr. Zhefarovich! definitely a cutey and a keeper" Cynthia said she sweetly once more as turned towards the man, "Cynthia Vandervoort, pleasure to meet you!" Cynthia said as she held out her hand.

"Can't complain, I guess. Work is work." Wolfgang was about to congratulate Cecily and ask about the baby, though he never had the opportunity. He wasn't sure what surprised him more; being called a cutie or referred to as Mr. Zhefarovich. He shook his head at the woman who had wrongly addressed him. "No, I'm not Mr. Zhefarovich." Figuring that he did not need to say much more, he reached for his cup of coffee, dumping in more cream and bringing the concoction to his lips. Hopefully he could escape having to speak further to Vandervoort, who was practically a stranger.

Cecily had been enjoying herself until they were rudely interupted. "I'd say that I'm very easy to find, considering any owl can find my office," she said, her manner stiff. This woman rubbed her the wrong way yet she decided to be polite and get rid of her as fast as possible. She hadn't seen Wolfgang since their last meeting and she had wondered how her new friend had been getting along in his new office. "I'm amazed you're not out and about, following my students and trying to ruin more lives," she smiled sweetly, head cocking slightly to the side. Her green eyes, however, were as cold as ice.

Cynthia smiled as the man replied that he wasn't Cecily's husband "I'm sorry, I didn't know since I hadn't been invited to the wedding" Cynthia said with a sweetness that was simply too sweet. "My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail" Cynthia said with a slight coldness that showed her malevolence as she turned towards Cecily. "All is forgiven however" Cynthia said with a smile as she sat down at the table, in a chair had appeared from nowhere. "After all the past is the past and the present is the present" Cynthia said though there was definitely a twinge in her voice that clearly said the past wasn't forgiven.

The headmistress of Hogwarts getting married was a big deal and to not have a Daily Prophet representative, much worse Cynthia there was clearly an insult.
"Owls' are so impersonal" Cynthia said answering Cecily's question with another smile. "I didn't ruin any lives anyways, I simply helped to bring to young lives closer together!" Cynthia said with a brightness in her voice that could've made anyone believe that she truly thought she had done the right thing. "So are you two friends? How long have you known each other?" Cynthia said as a pad and quill began scraping quickly next to her. "You know Mrs. Zhefarovich, the gossip mill's been saying that your already pregnant!" Cynthia said with a bit of devil in her tone this time.

Wolfgang wasn't certain about a lot of things in his life, but he was damned sure of one thing; this woman was ruining his evening coffee. Obviously there was bad blood between these two. He grimaced at the quill, continuing its scandalous affair with parchment. Journalists. He wasn't going to answer any questions if he could help it, let alone let his name slip. He felt horrible for his friend. The middle aged wizard wanted to tell the witch and all of her fancy writing supplies where she could stick her gossip, but he kept his mouth shut on that one.

His voice soaking in distinct accent, he responded, "We're both busy people with busy lives looking to enjoy a coffee, as I'm sure many others are in this establishment. If you're looking for a question and answer session, maybe you should make an appointment."

Cecily didn't think this situation could get any worse until Cynthia sat down, making herself at home at their table. Pursing her lips over the sheer audacity of the woman, she knew right then and there she would say nothing, answer nothing, unless she chose to do so. When Wolfgang spoke, her head turned back toward him and her expression softened slightly. He was such a nice man, he honestly didn't deserve to be stuck in this mess. She admired the bite of steel in his voice and the firm stare he gave to the reporter. She had to suppress rolling her eyes. Did the woman not have eyes? Although she was only three months along, Cecily's once flat stomach obviously houses a babe. The mound could clearly be seen; she'd had to magically alter most of her pants already.

"I don't care for gossip, Miss Vandervoort," she returned coolly. "Now if you'll excuse us, we'd like to finish our drinks in peace."

Cynthia pursed her lips slightly, "now now, I really have to know about you two" Cynthia said regaining her radiance "I really must insist!" Cynthia said not budging one bit. This was going to turn interesting and she knew it, Cynthia had a gut feeling about these types of things and knew that when people tried to keep shut it simply meant they were trying to hide something wonderfully juicy. Cynthia turned towards the man, "you know it's rude not to say your name when someone introduces them self to you" Cynthia said with a slight coldness in her voice as she turned back to Cecily "If he's the father Cecily then your going to have some work cut out for you in raising that child" Cynthia said with humor in her voice as her pad continued taking things down.

Wolfgang was getting more than annoyed. "Frankly, my dear, we don't give a damn. Please stick your nose where it's wanted." Picking up his mug again, he added, "And if you haven't caught on already, it's not wanted here." He was not going to stand for some young whelp lecturing him on his manners. She honestly didn't think barging in on conversations was rude? He rolled his eyes at the woman, his sarcasm all too evident as he spoke. "If that were my child, which it isn't, I'd make damned sure they didn't end up a silly journalist starving for gossip."

Cecily turned her face aside, her hand coming to cover her mouth and squelch the laughter that bubbled up her throat. Green eyes regarded him with mirth and more than a little respect. This was a man not to be trifled with and as she'd known on their first meeting, he would be a good friend. Turning her face back to Cynthia, she looked at her. "I believe that answers your question. My child is very much wanted and will be raised in proud traditions." Her eyes had hardened as she said this, knowing as she did the ways of the Zhefarovich family. They may be a cold lot but they took care of her own. Prodan would be the most wonderful father with their child, as he already was with Aleyha and Austin.

Suddenly her mind flashed back to the night she'd first met Nicolette in Brightstone. Alphonse had shown up and proved to be quite the ass. She wished her father and uncle in law would show up now, as they did then, and apparate this nosy reporter away, as they had Alphonse.

Cynthia should've been angry and she was, very angry however it didn't show on her face. Instead she began scoff in a giggling kind a way as she placed a hand over her mouth to try and stifle her laughter however failing to do so. Finally she settled down and recomposed herself as her eyes seemed to flair up. "Let's get this straight" Cynthia said in her same sweet voice however there was definitely a cold edge in it now. "Nobody is untouchable no matter how much they think they are" Cynthia said her voice a bit more cold as she referred to them. "You can refuse to answer my questions but I assure you, that only means I have to work harder something I am more then willing to do" Cynthia said "I will reveal all the dirty little secrets the two of you have tried to hide and I will let the entire wizarding world know just how horrible you actually are" Cynthia said with the coldness being replaced by pure malice. "When you think it's over and the wizarding world has forgiven you, I'll come back and remind them just how horrible you are, everyone you know including yourself will be utterly ruined" Cynthia said with a devilish smirk. "Now, that we've gotten that out of the way are you going to answer my questions or not?" Cynthia said in her sweet voice without any hint of malice or coldness to the pair.

This reporter was fortunate Wolfgang Kirk's cup of coffee had been drained empty moments ago. Very fortunate. He hadn't come here to take threats, much less pick fights. "Maybe you'll have more success with your questions in the future if you drop this charade," he responded evenly. "I'm certain people are more willing to cooperate if the person sniffing out answers doesn't carry on like a spoiled child." The German wizard rose, figuring that his friend would follow. "So the only question I'll be answering of yours is the last one. And to that I say 'No.' Good day to you, Miss Vandervoort." He looked to Cecily, nodding his head towards the door. He was certain they could find a place nearby that didn't harbor a manticore in Krupp's clothing.

Cecily slid her chair back, face set in a benign expression. She had no skeletons in her closet. She had turned her life around, carved out a happy path. She'd not let this woman try to ruin it. The glance she slanted her way as she followed Wolfgang was pitying. "Cynthia, I pity you. Perhaps if you had love in your own life, you could focus on your own happiness, instead of trying to bring your misery down upon every one else. Good day." Turning to face forward, she walked outside with Wolfgang and did not look back.

Cynthia couldn't help but smile as she had clearly gotten to these people, honestly and they had the nerve to say she was a child and pity her. They really needed a lesson on how to act dignified in public she would never allow herself to fall subject to her emotions like that, she was raised better. It wasn't there fault they weren't pureblood. Cynthia knew that however she did have a strong desire to show them that she meant business and make them regret that they had said those words. An idea popped into her head as her Flashy Flash Camera popped out of her purse, With a loud crack she apparated in front of the two. "Nearly forgot, so clumsy of me!" Cynthia said in a bright sweet voice unshaped by what they had said as her flashy flash camera took several pictures of the two and hopped back into her purse. "I'll make sure to send you a copy of the Article!" Cynthia said with a smile as she Apparated away.

Wolfgang raised a hand to his face when a series of flashes attacked them both. He grimaced, baring his teeth very much like one of his dogs. Who knew a nice coffee break could turn so foul? Apparently one needed an immature woman with an unholy trio of camera, notepad and quill. Vandervoort's behavior was appalling. Turning to Cecily, he groaned, "I'm sure it'll be fine... she'll get what's due to her tomorrow, if not today." He wasn't certain how this was going to turn out, but the wizard was trying to be comforting. Reputation was not something Wolfgang had to worry much about. Cecily, on the other hand, had more of it than any one person should handle. Hopefully there weren't enough idiots out there hearkening to the tabloid that called itself The Daily Prophet.

Cecily jerked to a stop, trying to shield her eyes from the bright flashes of the camera's bulb. Having had enough, she took a menacing step forward just as the woman apparated away. Scowling, she balled her hands beside her in frustrated anger. "Stupid *****," she muttered, anger freeing her tongue. Wolfgang's groan and words had her turning toward him. "We're both too smart to think this won't have repercussions." Sighing, she cupped her elbows. "I'm sorry, she's had it in for me for a while now. I honestly didn't think she'd try something so disgusting." She knew there would be an uproar at the school, once that printed word they called the 'truth' came out. She'd dot anyone's eye who confronted her with those silly accusations.

"I think I should go home," she said apologetically.

"Want me to plant a niffler in her office?" Wolfgang suggested, mischief playing across his features. He felt horrid for Cecily, who had much, much more to lose than he did. The man probably should have kept his mouth shut. There was no getting through to reporters; their heads were just too thick and swelled worse than the biggest zit of an acne-ridden teenager. The wizard shook his head. "No, you don't need to apologize. It's not your fault that nasty wench ruined our coffee break."

He smiled a bit, trying to be positive despite the terrible circumstances at hand. "There's always another time, one that won't be filled with cretins digging trash out of the gutter for their latest rumors." He couldn't blame his friend for wanting to go home, simply nodding at her. "Oh, and before I forget- congratulations."

Cecily knew that what he said was true and was grateful to have made a friend of good character. "Perhaps dinner with Prodan and I," she offered, hoping things would die down soon after the paper was released. If they didn't, well, she would just make it. She was tired of playing into others hands, into their schemes for her. She was a grown witch with much riding on her shoulders; she'd not let anything be taken from her again. "Thank you," she smiled before saying her goodbyes and once more she was off, apparating straight home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back