Task 1: Durmstrang Champion

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was no space left between them as he moved the last step closer. Moko felt completely and utterly winded, as if all reason had up and left her completely, as if she were seeing for the first time the person she was meant to love and yet somewhere deep within her she knew she could not love this person. She had given her heart already to someone and he was the reason she was here. That fractured thought had nearly set her free from the veela but he raised a hand and caressed her face so gently. A gasp escaped her as she closed her eyes against his touch.
"The goddess of war" she whispered to him, wanting nothing more than for him to hold her. To take her in his arms and tell her how much he loved her. He was too beautiful, so absolutely perfect. Her hand throbbed slightly and she blinked opening her eyes.

Something wasn't quite right and she could not put her finger on it. She felt as if she had known Andrew all her life and yet she also knew she hadn't. There was also a distant beat of her heart as if it was trying desperately to remind her of someone else, the dull pain from her first true heart ache seemed to pull at her now and Moko blinked incredulously. Taking a step back from Andrew, she remembered the face of the other man. They didn't look a like other than they had both been so beautiful. As if a light finally went on in her head she frowned slightly as she looked at him.
"You're ... you're a Veela aren't you?" she stopped herself from saying like the other man but just barely, her fingers twitched for her wand though she did not reach for it, "are you to hinder or help me?"

He was having fun watching from the shadows, but decided there had been enough playtime with his 'co-worker'. Moving softly from the trees behind the girl, she was not going to know what hit her. Looping his arms around her waist and pulling her to him, he winked at the other Veela before whispering in her ear. "We are able to hinder or help. That my darling depends on you." He rested his chin on her shoulder, turning so she would feel his breath on her cheek. "And yes, we are both Veelas, Morrigan." He was teasing her and taking pleasure in doing so.

Anger flared up inside the Veela as the girl realized the truth and he lost hold of her. Feathers sprouted from him and his hands grew hotter, but the other veela came up behind the girl and pulled her to him. 'Andrew' sighed, taking control of his emotions, the feathers going back into his body. He slowly circled the two, watching as the other veela spoke to Morrigan, and wondering what had caused her to break from his charms.

As familiar arms went about her Moko sighed and was unable to stop herself relaxing back against the first Veela she had encountered. Her eyes closed dazedly as he spoke to her, warning lights were blaring inside her but at the same time she was consumed once more by the delicate trappings of the veela's charm. His voice and his touch had entrapped her before and were doing so again.
"Must I help you in some way?" her voice was soft now, like a caress as she slowly leaned her head against his. As his breath fanned her cheek she opened her eyes slowly, this was a dream it had to be. He was assuring her that they were both Veela's when she looked to Andrew about to smile at him when he suddenly grew feathers. Her eyes widened in horror and fascination. Swiftly she turned to keep her gaze on him as he began to circle them, slightly weary of him. Never before had she seen any one do anything like that. It was exciting yet mildly disturbing as well, she knew from her lessons that Veela only changed when angered. She had somehow angered him then but that had not been her attention at all.

As she turned herself around to keep him in her sights, she came face to literally face with the other Veela. Their bodies pressed against one another and his arms still about her waist, she gasped. How could she have forgotten how beautiful he was? How could she have thought more of Andrew? Her arms went about his shoulders and she rested her head there, able to see the circling form of the other Veela a little better.
"Andrew I did not mean to offend you" her hand was gently caressing the back of the Veela's brown hair, gently stroking it as if she had nothing else to be doing with her time. Moving slightly apart from him so she could look at his face and lose herself once more, she was on the verge of saying something but one look into his beautiful brown eyes and she forgot it all.
When she did speak again, she was not sure just who she was speaking too, herself to protect herself from the charms of two of the most beautiful men she had ever beheld; them to aid her in finding the last rune or to Merlin;
"Help me" it was barely a whisper but audible to those close to her.

The Veela heard the girl softly ask if she needed to help them, but before he could answer her, his counterpart began to show his anger. Glaring at the other Veela, he watched him reign in his emotions and maintain control. While the other circled them, he couldn't help but sigh just a bit as Morrigan rested her head against him. Focus, she is too young for you. You are here to be part of the challenge, not to let her challenge you.

Looking down into her eyes, he could not help but turn up the charm as she lost herself in his eyes. He was male. He could not help but enjoy the feeling of her hand in his hair. Lifting her up off her feet, he carried her into the woods and away from the other Veela and back onto the path. "Do not worry, little one," he spoke softly as he returned her to her feet, holding her to him tightly. "I am going to help you along the way." Leaving his hand around her small waist, he began to walk with her along the path, slowly. He knew where they were headed even if Morrigan had no idea. She was going to have a difficult time of things soon, but for right now, he was going to lead her where she needed to be.

She heard his sigh and it was nearly the undoing of her, how could she of all people make someone so perfect sigh like that? Again she lost herself in the brown orbs, she was sent spiraling far out of her depth and did not want to return at all. Before she knew what was happening to her, he had swung her up into his arms and began carrying her off into the woods. Every stupid romance stories her dorm mates had read and gushed about revived itself now within her frantically beating heart. Moko rested her head against his shoulder as one arm remained draped around him and the other raised now to allow her finger tips to graze his jawline gently. His words were so soft that she strained to hear them even being so close to him, again he was offering to help her and again she knew she was utterly grateful for his existence, for his presence in her life. It was all too soon that he replanted her on the ground but she could not bare now to be separated from him.

His hand on her waist gave her enough of an excuse to stay within his personal space, not once did she attempt to move her own arm or attempt to stop her fingers from their exploration of his face. Tenderly now the trailed across his lips, so tempted was she to reach up and kiss him.
"How can I thank you?" she whispered to him her eyes never once leaving his perfect mouth.

Stopping for a moment, he lifted his hand to her cheek before lowering his face so that his lips were just a bit above hers. "You don't have to thank me. Just win the tournament, darling Morrigan, and I will be satisfied." Pulling his face back, he gave her a wink, then continued their walk down through the forest.

Before long, they had reached a clearing. It was time for him to play his cards. It was something he had been plotting since he was asked to help with the tournament task. He was going to have a bit of fun with his all too willing victim. This clearing was special. He alone knew why. His counterpart was not given the same information as he was for this reason alone. Hugging her to him, making sure that he infused as much of his charm as he could, he then moved her to the middle of the clearing. He whispered in her ear, "Relax my dear," before moving over to the edge of the clearing and perching on a boulder located there. His eyes smoldered as he looked at her not more than 3 meters from him.

"Morrigan, my dear sweet Morrigan," he started, his voice as smooth as silk. "I want you to clear your head. What is the remaining rune that you seek?" He smiled brightly at her, waiting for her to answer.

Truly she believed he would kiss her but his lips hovered always just out of her reach. She could only smile though as he bid her to win the tournament.
"You came back for me" she smiled unable to believe that he had. No one had done that for her, people she cared about seemed to leave but none returned. And yet he did.
"I would do anything for you" she told him gladly, knowing it to be true. They walked some more until he brought her too a clearing, she had taken very little notice of the way they had come having eyes only for him. His arms were about her then, embracing her and she melted against him as her own arms returned the embrace. She closed her eyes enjoying the sensation of him being so close to her and then with a few words in her ear he was gone again. Opening her eyes swiftly and in alarm, she sighed with relief when she saw him sitting not very far from her at all atop a boulder. A bright smile she cast him and would have moved towards him but she realized that he had placed her here for a reason.

The question he asked of her should have been simple but she wanted to be near him again. Her hands reached up as if to call him back to her and without realizing it, even her face was pleading with him to return. She felt empty without him near her, cold and useless. Yet she also knew she wanted to make him happy, it was all she desired. Closing her eyes she did as he asked of her, her fingers played with the coin shape in her pocket and removing it she looked upon the runes etched there. The one facing her was Algiz, that rune was in her pouch. Flipping over the coin she saw Jera and smiled beaming up at him.

"Jera, will you tell me your name now?" she braved a step closer to him, hoping that because she answered what she knew to be correct that he would allow her back in his sphere.

Relaxing on the boulder, the Veela watched her discomfort as he left her. He wanted her mind to be clear, to make her ultimate choice without the influence of his charms, well, too much anyways. "Not yet, my darling. I promise you that in time you will have that information when I feel the time has come." His eyes met hers again, and he held his hand up to halt her progress. "Please, dear one, do not come any closer. I want you to be able to think fully." He shifted a bit, then leaned forward just a touch. "Tell me, what does Jera stand for?"

Moko wanted to move closer but he raised his hand to halt her and instantly she obeyed as if she were under the inferius curse. A puppet on a string, willing to do his bidding yet there was a purpose behind the distance he was allowing her. She listened carefully to his words, wanting nothing more than to lean closer to their owner but she could not. At least not yet, first she had to do what he asked of her.

She thought and thought but nothing came to mind. It was as if the Veela's had stolen every rational thought in her head. Frustrated that she would displease him she cried out in anguish, a short gutteral burst of frustration as her hands clasped the sides of her head. Willing herself to think harder, she sank to her knees in the middle of the clearing. Jera, jera she glanced at the coin in her hand as if seeing its image would help her in some way. Hadn't she laughed to herself at the start of the tournament or was it that she had been insulted? It had something to do with the harvest or fertility she recalled. Slowly her mind began to clear. Not once did she dare to look up at him but she could sense him there all the time watching her. She tried to not let this distract her but it was difficult. Her thoughts continued to prize apart any information she could find within the crevices of her mind.

She began thinking aloud as if this would assist her, her hands now touching the grass on the ground.
"The harvest, it's all connected. Life and fertility.... uhm, if we work hard now, If I work hard put in the ground work. The grunt work then I will reap the benefits of a good harvest later. If I am prepared to ...to.. oh damn it I lost it again" she muttered, closing her eyes tighter she tried to regain the train of thought, "If I am prepared to work hard now, as I always have done. It will benefit me, none of it is in vain. At some point the rewards of such diligence will come to bear".

Moko glanced up at him then hoping she had said something right in all of that.

"Very good. You are remembering wonderfully." He smiled at her, pleased that she was still able to put together a coherent thought and answer him correctly. She was on her knees in the middle of the clearing, waiting on his next move. Slowly he rose to his feet and began to walk around the outside of the clearing. He was going to make her an offer that she might just be tempted to take. He figured that in the end, she would make the correct choice, but it will pain her based on the way she was reacting to her charms.

"The time has come, my darling Morrigan. You are now faced with a choice." He stopped behind her, turning to look at the back of her head and hoped that her head was clear enough to make her decision. "I have two options for you. You may choose to leave with me right now. Forget everything and run away with me. Or...," he paused for dramatic effect, "I can leave you here, with the knowledge of the location of the last rune. Our paths may cross in the future if I am your destiny." He purposely stayed behind the girl, knowing she would keep her head clear to make her choice. The right choice for her young life. "Me or the Tournament. You need to choose. Now."

She smiled at the praise he offered her, waiting for him to allow her to come back to him. Her eyes followed his every move, the way the breeze lifted his hair slightly at the nape of his neck, how his nostrils flared a bit when he spoke, the lightness of his foot on the ground and the brown irises that had captured her heart. Her smile was so serene when he referred to her as darling, listening to the choices he gave her she began to shake her head. No, this was just too unfair. She attempted to scramble up and turn around to face him once more but another part of her kept her still.

Morrigan Kolina Craven was known for her rational thoughts, her practical mind yet it was only around certain males that she seemed to lose all sense of self and reason. This was what was happening again now. Yet her other side, the part of her that ached to be cared for, to feel loved and coset affection yearned for him. Wanted the one person who had come back to her, for her. She knew he was trying to help her again, she could feel it. Was he her destiny?

Had she not thought that Alex Cullen was her destiny? Morrigan looked at the coin in her hand and felt the first wave of pain assail her. This choice was so hard. The picture of Jera stared at her, reminding her now of all that she had done in her life that had led to this moment. All the work and studying she had focused on pushing everything else aside over the years to achieve her ultimate goal, to work in the same department as her parents had and all the other Craven's before her. That had been her destiny since the day she was conceived, no boy or man would ever come before that. None ever could. Her bloodline, her heritage came before any matters of the heart and if she ran away with him, she would in effect be running away from her real destiny. If he was part of her destiny then fate would allow them to meet again. It seemed like seconds had passed for her to reach her decision but in affect it was was nearly ten minutes of agonising scrutiny within herself. Wiping the tears away, she stood up slowly and turned to face him.

The sadness was etched there all over her, her brown eyes were completely torn and she felt more keenly now the pain in her heart than what she had ever felt for Alex or any other person.
"The ... the tournament" the words were torn from her on a straggled sob, paining her to say it as she knew it meant he would leave her. The pain around her heart now was as if someone was physically piercing her with the sharpest of blades. How could she stand it? How could she bare to do this to him? She took a step closer, wanting.. hoping to perhaps retract what she had just said but holding the coin tight, helped to remind her of her future. She had to get through the tournament, win or lose she had to try. She could not and would not be a failure, she had never failed at anything other than love and now it simply seemed as if love for her was never meant to be.

The Veela started to feel bad. He had been hired to distract the girl, belay the girl from finding the runes for a while -- and ultimately lead her to the locations of each piece of the puzzle. He could see she was obviously tortured over her choice, but he could not let that affect him. She finally made the correct choice, and he smiled at her, charming her yet again as he slowly walked forward to take her in his arms again.

"Morrigan, that is the right choice. You need to fulfill your destiny and the Tournament is part of that." His hand came up and stroked her hair while he cradled her head to his chest. Stroking her brunette tresses, he scanned the small clearing for the location of the rune. Spying the spot where the rune lay on the ground, covered under a small pile of leaves, he began to separate himself from her.

Holding his hands in hers, he gazed down into her eyes in the middle of the clearing. "The time has come for me to depart. You will remain safe here in the forest, but you will be done here soon. Our paths may cross someday, but I will leave you with this thought. 'I believe a leaf of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars.'" Lifting her hands to his lips, he pressed a kiss into each palm, then pulled her face close as if he was going to kiss her. Instead, he grazed just past her cheeks, his breath burning a trail across her skin. Whispering into her ear, he left her with one final statement. "What you seek is near." He pulled back and looked into her eyes with his own, then with a smile, he disappeared into the trees. He would keep an eye on the girl to ensure her safety, but he would not approach her again.

Her heart felt as if someone had dug deep within her and torn it straight out through her chest. No one had ever warned her that feeling anything for another individual would be so hard. Once in her life she had thought her heart had been broken but this was so different, every molecule within seemed to ache. She could not bear the thought of his leaving her, they all left her. Everyone she cared about and now him too. The most vital person she had ever met. She was beyond grateful for his care of her, for how he had helped her through out the past few hours. Few hours? Most of the day had passed by and she knew that she had failed. The other champions would be well finished by now, she could almost hear the crowds cheering for their champions while the Durmstrang students would be devastated by her delay.

He walked towards her, as tears continued to careen down her grief stricken face. His arms were about her and in an instant she felt so safe again, cradled within the folds of him as he stroked her hair. She rested her head against his chest, her tears soaking the material of his top. As he stepped back from her, she found she could not let go of his hands. His brown eyes locked with her own as he said his farewells. Desperately she wanted to say something to make him stay, she wanted to retract her earlier choice and choose him instead but he had told her that her choice had been the right one and she would have to live with that. He spoke as if in riddles to her before kissing each palm, his face then was inches from hers and closing her eyes at the expectancy of the kiss she longed for, she felt cheated and devastated that it never came. Instead his mouth grazed her cheek. Again his voice whispered to her, she slowly opened her eyes to look into his. His smile would stay with her forever, she watched as he seemed to disappear into the depths of the forest once again. Opening her mouth to speak, to say something. To call him back to her, but she couldn't.

Moko felt the pain as intensely as if he himself had cut her heart out. Gasping with the agony of a love lost she fell to her knees, so distraught that all she wanted was to lie down and cry as if nothing else mattered. At first that was exactly what she did, allowing her tears to soak into the dried leaves on the forest floor beneath her. She was unaware how much time had passed but as it did so, her head began to clear considerably and though the pain within her still felt excruciating, she knew she would live. She knew that all he had said to her was true, she had a destiny and it would be fulfilled not lost because of a momentary meeting in a forest. Pushing herself up from the ground she tried to remember what he had told her. She still had Jera to look for and he said what she seeked was near. The small clearing would still take a considerable time to search through it all seemed pointless and hopeless but she could not give up now. She had given him up for this and with that thought she stood up and brushed herself down. Determined to honor his faith and belief in her. 'A leaf of grass' ; 'the journey-work of the stars' Moko sighed looking about the clearing once more and then she saw it.

The tree behind her was an oak tree, her hands clasped across her mouth as her eyes filled with tears. He had helped her all the way, had taken such care of her and everyone had told her constantly how dangerous the triwizard tournament was. She didn't know if the other two had a similar experience to her or not and she didn't want to discuss hers with any one when she finished. It was to personal, too meaningful to her. Jogging to the tree she looked at it, wondering at first if there was a nook or knot hole like in the last tree but he had mentioned grass and a leaf. Glancing up through the barren branches she sighed, not a leave in sight. The dried and dead leaves of the oak tree seemed to crackle under foot and she laughed. A leaf of grass, instantly she was on her knees searching where the grass of the forest lay hidden beneath the fallen leaves from the Great Oak tree. Beautiful golds, reds and browns wet, dirty and some still crisp were rifled through and then it was in her hand, the small rune stone with the Jera symbol on it. Another tear rolled down her face, followed by another and another. She would seriously have to get her self under control before she rejoined the others.

Unsure which direction she should take, Moko stared upwards into the sky gauging the direction the sun was in and glancing at her watch figured out her position. The journey back towards the stands, the students, the heads of the schools and the world felt longer than the one she had taken to get in. She did not flinch as brambles whipped her face or tore at her hands, that mild pain of those was not comparable to what she had felt deep within the forest. At times she felt as if she were being watched and swiftly turned only to be disappointed yet again, he was not coming back and she would always live with her decision. Placing the last rune in her pouch she continued her journey back.

Moko continued to walk expecting anything to pop out at her in a moments notice but nothing did. Her wand was always at the ready just incase, her eyes scanning the trees for anything, her ears pricked to listen for the slightest noise but now it felt as if she were utterly alone. She still wished and believed that somewhere out there he was keeping an eye on her and when finally she stepped through the last row of trees to a waning sun, she could only sigh. The stands were still full of spectators and the headmasters and mistress of the schools were all waiting. She wondered briefly who had won as her face turned one last time to look back through the trees. Hoping to catch a glimpse of him but seeing nothing. Moving slowly towards the judges, she removed her pouch and emptied if of the two rune stones she had been sent to find, Jera and Algiz. They would never know what it had cost her to return them, they would never know what she had given up for a destiny that for the first time in her life she was unsure of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back