Taking a break

Austin Zhefarovich

Wand
Knotted 14 1/2" Rigid Cherry Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Austin sat down on a bench in the Obsidian Harbor, taking a break from shopping. He shook his head, doing this alone was rather difficult. He didn't have much more to go. Austin took out a bottle of water and sipped on it, helping him catch his breath. At least half the list was gone. He felt like he would never want to go shopping again. Austin flipped his hair out of his eyes. It wasn't styled like usual, instead, he had it pinned down. He wore a black shirt and a black jean jacket. His green eyes wondered about.

He was happy about being sorted into Ravenclaw, but this shopping was really taking a toll on him and his mood. Austin really loved the fact that he and his girlfriend was in the same house. However, this excessive shopping made his eyes slightly darker than his usual bright green. He leaned back, and closed his eyes while the sunlight beamed on his slightly pale face.

The on-going scratching of heels on stone lingering around ears. Continuous remarks of beautiful clothing displayed in window upon window drizzling the spectators in awe. Handbags shuffling on arms, posed and ready of unleash the delights of labor. Women clustering around boutiques, their partners slipping off to evade the torture of being hauling in behind. Hunted by the classic line 'does my bum look big in this?'

Children weaving through the crowds, running from the boredom of shopping. Flashes of candy merged between dirtied fingers. Ice cream caked around pink chops. Worried mothers shouting desperately hoping for the reappearance of their escapes. Street urchins mumbling depressive engraved in shop crevasses for on lookers to end their suffering. Rags plummeting from bony shoulders as arms stretch out in union in hope for a measly galleon.

Descending from a yellow shop door, the wood mourning the chipped painted which had left it naked. The quirky bell sounding it's alarm as two symmetrical looking purple wedged shoes landed on the shoe patching beneath. The sudden noise exploding in her ears. While she had wondered around the somewhat unusual shop she had forgotten the sound, which blared over the town.

Hyo-rin walked through the street, looking at the animals and the funny looking witches and wizards. She felt really tired, and decided to have a rest on one of the benches. However to her utmost dismay, there was a boy, probably her age seated there already.

Hyo-rin bowed at him, the way the Koreans like her greeted each other, before sitting on the bench.

Austin heard footsteps, but chose to ignore them. His eyes opened and he saw a girl bow to him. She looked tired as. He moved slowly away, making sure she had plenty of space. Austin sighed silently, he stared at his hands. He didn't know whether to speak to this girl, who looked about her age, or not. Austin then decided to be as friendly as possible. He turned his green eyes to her, and he bowed his head, hoping to not dishonor her culture. He greeted, "Hi, I'm Austin, Austin Devearux." Austin gave her a warm smile. He hoped that the ice in his voice wasn't noticable. He hated inheriting that feature.

Hyo-rin beamed. The boy was one of the first who reacted correctly, the other she met just stared at her as if she was a total weirdo. "Pleasure, I'm Hyo-rin," she said with a smile. A sign, swinging tentatively in the breeze caught the young girls eye, drawing her in. The golden swirled lettering seemed elegant, sophisticated. Her feet able forward eagerly hoping to discover the delights that await in the quirky little boutique that was in front of their bench. Hands fumbled inside the unusual knitted bag of green to successfully retain a pouch. Eyes darted from bag to path, cutting the risk of concussion. The velvet material fell within her grasp, secret cheers echoed through her mind. Pandora slipped fingers across gold coins, which she had spent many hours laboring to receive. Her movements quickened, this has to be the one she mumbled. Coins rested in her palm waiting to change possession.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, where do you come from?" she asked politely.

Austin watched the girl smile. He felt proud that he got the bowing right. He nodded at her, "Pleasure is mine, Hyo-rin." He watched her movements, and drew curious. She must be easily distracted or something. He laughed in his mind at the thought, for he was too. He heard her question, and answered, "I am from Paris, France. However, I moved to Sunshine Coast, Australia. Now, if you don't mind me asking, where do you come from?" He wanted to ask whether she was going to attend the school here, however, he stopped. Small talk first. It would be rude to ask many questions at a time.

Hyo-rin listened to his every work, nodding as she did do. "I am from Korea Sir," she said politely, aware of the respect she was taught in the Royal School which she attended before she received the letter. "I am the crown princess," she said quietly, taking out some gold galleons from her wallet and passed it to a passing beggar. "It is very sunny here," she commented, glancing at the sun. She turned to look at the flowers. "Flowers in Korea were never ever this beautiful," she said, touching one that caught her eye.

Austin smiled, "Korea. That must be a wonderful place." He then narrowed his eyes in shock as she said that she was the crown princess. "You are a princess, for real?" His mind couldn't process around it immediately. Austin decided to read on the Korean culture more as soon as he can find a book on it. He laughed softly, "I suppose. Sun is good for the skin. As for the flowers, well, they do have an elegance to them." Austin then asked, "Are you going to the school here in New Zealand?"

Hyo-rin laughed. "Yes, but we 21st century princesses don't have happily ever after endings," she said with a sigh. "Yes i am, are you?" she asked, smiling at his question. "You should read up on the rich Korean history, its very interesting. You can start by reading about the Imperial Families," she added with a smirk. Hyo-rin picked up the flower that caught her eye and looked at it. "Did you know you were a wizard?" she inquired, still looking at the flower with a feeling of happiness.

Austin shrugged, "I never read the fairy tales. And I would imagine not. You still have many years ahead to have a happy ending, you know?" Austin nodded, "Yes. I am a proud Ravenclaw." He beamed, "That's an excellent idea. I will. I love reading about history. It fascinates me." He watched her pick up a flower. He smiled to himself. He felt rather shocked to hear that question. He answered with a nod, "Yeah. My mom informed us at a young age. But we lived as muggles anyway. Quite odd. Did you know you were magical?"

Hyo-rin looked at the flower, listening to Austin. "True," she agreed. "Ravenclaw? You're the first one i know. I'm a Gryffindor," She answered, glancing at another flower. "You're really lucky! My parents never told me. My mother received her letter to Hogwarts, and when she finished her education, she had to marry the prince. It was an arranged marriage. My grandfather had a high status in the Imperial Court," Hyo-rin explained, still looking at the purple flower. "After i was born, she told my dad about it, but they kept it a secret, even from me. And they told me everything when i got my letter. But my parents didn't tell anyone else, and no one knows. And the nation thinks i'm away at some normal English Boarding School," she explained deeper.

Austin grinned, "And you are the first Gryffindor I know. My girlfriend is in Ravenclaw with me." He listened to her explanation. He felt rather bad for Hyo-rin. He muttered, "That sucks, it really does. Never knowing until now. I can sort of relate to that. I have no idea about the wizarding culture. I had no idea what parchment was or anything. So, we have a little in common with that." He gave her an encouraging smile. "Well, the wizards and such do have to keep everything from the muggles. It is all a big secret. And it sucks."

"So, who's your girlfriend?" she asked, interested. "Wow, it felt weird in the sorting ceremony, i didn't know a single thing about the various houses, even now, except they were called Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, Slytherin and Hufflepuff," she explained with a sigh. "Yeah it does, but i guess its for the best," she answered.

Austin replied with a smile, "Her name is Rosalie Hale." He didn't want to tell much of Rosalie to her, since he might ramble on how great she is. Austin shrugged, "This one boy explained it to me. Competive, arrogant, and cunning is Slytherin, brave is Gryffindor, kind and loyal is Hufflepuff, and smart is Ravenclaw. That is pretty much how it works, from what I understand." He nodded, "It more than likely is. I mean, magic freaks muggles out. It would be chaotic."

Hyo-rin smiled excitedly, that she almost jumped. "Rosalie? I know her! Met her at the Three Broomsticks once. Very pretty girl.." Hyo-rin said, impressed that Austin had good choice in girls. "So if i'm Gryffindor, i'm brave?" she asked, confused. "Must be some kind of mistake, i'm so timid, i scream even in the presence of ants!" she said.

Austin laughed, "I had no idea that you two knew each other. She is gorgeous, and has an amazing personality." He wondered what did the two girls talk about, but probably just small talk. That is what girls do, right? He wouldn't know. "Maybe there is some other traits. Surely you aren't that timid. You were sorted into Gryffindor for a reason, right?" He tried to think of the other traits that came along with Gryffindor. But non came to him.

Hyo-rin sighed. "Yeah maybe," she answered, clueless. "You all are so lucky, you'll probably marry someone you like, but the elders in the imperial family arrange marriages for us. I have to marry some guy in the imperial army," Hyo-rin mumbled grumpily. "I know its too early to be thinking of this, but I'd rather run away from home now, then think of my future," she added.

Austin stared at her, listening. He then replied, "I'm sorry for hearing about this. It is early to think about, of course. However, running away won't solve much. I am only speaking of what I know, which might not be much on the subject. But who knows, maybe the man in the imperial army might be an awesome man too." Austin wanted to help her, naturally. However, both being a young age, he didn't know much at all. If only he knew more than now so he could help Hyo-rin.

Hyo-rin let out a soft sigh. "Yeah maybe, who knows?" she replied optimistically. "So, are you excited about next year?" she asked, changing the subject.

Austin nodded, "Why, yes, I am. I have been waiting a long time for Hogwarts to begin. Are you excited?" He gave her a smile. "Some professors are rather...intimidating looking."

Hyo-rin nodded. "They certainly do look scary, especially the Herbology Professor," she said with a sigh. "He's one i will be too afraid even to bow to!" Hyo-rin added with a laugh. "But the others look fine i guess,".

Austin agreed, "Yes. He didn't look happy. He just looked scary. And don't bow to him, since he probably won't bow back. What was his name, or do you now know?" Austin grinned, "Yeah, they did. Only he looked terrifying."

"Hmmm..i think its was Professor Styx," she said, trying to recall what her older sister had told her. "He just seems to give me the creeps," she continued with a shiver.

Austin then recalled what his mother had said. "Professor Styx," he repeated. Austin shook his head, "My mom told me that we were related. Us, and the Styx family." He didn't want that man to be related to him. He seemed...just weird.

Hyo-rin raised an eyebrow. "You're related to a Professor teaching in Hogwarts now? Wow," she said, amused. "Does he know both of you are related?" she inquired.

Austin shrugged, "If it is the right Styx, then yes. He has a son going there too. But he is like, sixteen or seventeen." Austin laughed, "I don't think he does. But something about him seemed familiar."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back