Swine Flu/H1N1 Influenza A

Kida Frost said:
Swine Flu is Flu just with Swine on the front of it

its just trying to get the focus off the financial crisis

That is my opinion

Nuffsaid
Well I don't know how you kind of figured that. Because there is obviously a difference if it has its own name. It's not just 'flu' otherwise we wouldn't have the media telling us about nearly every death. There is something to be worried about, and that's if eventually it gets into ridiculous numbers and they close the schools. I mean come on, if they closed down schools, and killed every pig in a country, there has to be some fear within it. A cure will take months to develop, we just have to live with it till then. Anyway, the UK government has loads of stock in, as they thought that Bird Flu was going to breakout.

I think that H1N1 is sort of getting out of proportion, and I'm not really that worried about it, even though I think 13 schools have been closed (and re-opened) in my city to get disinfected, but they're nowhere near the area that I live in, or go to school. Near the beginning, I did get a little freaked out because I went to the doctors with a cough, headache and some other stuff and they said I would have had to go into quarantine if I had one more of the symptoms! (Thankfully I didn't have it, but they still scared the crud out of me. :blink: ).

I think it was the news coverage that got people panicked, and scared but I'm sure the States will find a cure for it. ^_^

Samoa has just confirmed its first case of swine flu

and at the airport you have to have your temperature checked before they let you into the country...

I found an article on BBC that kinda scared me a little :unsure:
link
I know it's only relevant to the UK, but still 100,000 cases a day is quite a scary thought. =-/

The comforting thing though is that everyone (again, based on the UK. I'm not sure about worldwide.) everyone who has died has had underlying health problems, so :erm:

OK thought I'd bring this back, even though it' not been dead that long.

Recently the swine flu has been making it's appearance in Northern Ireland, confirmed cases = 58 (as of Friday), but no deaths thank God. I'm not scared of the swine flu but it's getting big now and it will get bigger come Autumn and Winter. They are some cases pretty close to me (a confirmed case 20 mins from me)

But the reason I'm posting here is because I heard in the news that Universities in Northern Ireland on considering on cancelling their 'Welcome Week' in the new school year, if it escalades anymore. This is completely and utterly STUPID :mad: :mad: Why should we have to miss out on one of the mot important weeks in out Uni life because people are stupid enough to go to places like Mexico then come back and pretend that they are at no risk and anyone they are in contact with are at no danger.

I know I'm biased because this affects me as I'll be starting Uni in Spetember, and I've been really looking forward to it, esp 'Welcome Week' from what Chris has told me, it's sound like fun, and now I might miss out on it ;'(

SWINE FLU IS BEING BLOWN OUT OF ALL PROPORTION AGAIN AND IT'S NOT FAIR :mad: :mad: ;'( ;'( <_< :glare:

Anyone esle agree? -_-

Uhh....
Professor Aeon Summers backs up Efeyenia Samartzi

I completly agree. There are supposedly 30 something cases in Samoa which I guess is HUGE in an island like this. The closed all the government schools (which means there are only like 3 open =)) ) but they didnt close my school. But I am being biased because they arent closing my school, but they're cancelling our annual masquarade ball, and as the seniors we've been working our butts off because it was meant to be next week, our whole holidays, slaving away and ALOT of our hard earned money... WASTED!!

Stupid people who blow things out've proportion!! they cancel our masqurade, but we're just as likely to catch it at school!!! stupid people... *sigh

I went around hugging random people for $1 to earn money for it :( :(

One of my best friends has swine flu. Well, quite possibly does. So my mum's all like "rar you could die! you could infect your sisters! don't visit her!"

The Royal Brisbane Show is coming up, and the news is again all like "don't go to the Ekka, you'll get swine flu." Same thing happened last year with regular flu. But the thing is, you're as likely to get it out shopping, or at uni, or anywhere really. :oy:
It can be bad, but it's still not really as bad as Avian Flu.

So the media has stopped the coverage for the most part about this - but WHO etc. still say it'll be a world-wide issue.
I love how hysterical the media gets about stuff, but then when it's confirmed it'll be a serious problem they drop it like it's hot. :lol:
Yay media! ^_^

Oh my gosh. Practically everyone I knew got swine flu. My brother in law went to the doctors for it and the GP said "Mate, that's not half as bad as the one you had two months back" and Stephen had to agree. I'd be more concerned about Malaria, that kills 1-2 million people every single year. On the list of the world's great disasters, pretty sure I wouldn't put swine flu up there.

On the other hand, seeing my niece wearing an itty bitty teddy bear mask made my day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back