studying

Mark Stone

OOC First Name
Laura :D
Wand
Birch Wand 14 1/4"
Mark walked into the library and looked around, itwasnt too busy but Mark always had a hard time concentrating with distractions around him. He walked down to the end where it was quiet, he picked out a book and say down at a table and started to read. Only too be disturbed by someone standing in front of him talking to him.

Moko had the most thrilling morning so far, being shown the organs of werewolves and Wildebeests was not exactly her idea of an interesting morning usually but the professor managed to also show them a host of photographs magic of course of a werewolf that they had once had here at the school. The creature had been ferocious and absolutely disgusting. She had listened intently as they were told how dangerous and evil the thing had been and even if it was in human form for most of the month, it was and always would be essentially a werewolf. She had heard rumors of course a few years back about the creature being at the school but had not believed it at the time. Now she was fairly disgruntled that she had not had the opportunity to see it.

Walking up and down the aisles of the library now she practised her wandless magic as she sent some books back to their shelves while removing other books. Happy at last with her selection she went to her usual seat near the back of the library where she would not be bothered only to find a much younger student sitting there. Taking out her wand she tapped her prefects badge as she stood over him.
"There are plenty of other seats here you know, why don't you scurry your little behind off to one of them?"

Mark stood up fast and looked around at the other seats, there people over by most of them and that would be a distration. He was behind in class as it was and needed to catch up. He sighed then looked at the girl. "But the rest of the seats have people near them and i have to study for class because im already behind and i get distracted eayily." He looked down and away another reason he diddnt want to move is because he saw someone from one of his classes who took great pleasure in bullying him and here where he was sat he was just out of view. He looked back up at the girl.

Moko was not cruel, far from it. She had her mean streak when it was warranted of course but she was not a bully by any stretch of the imagination. In fact alot of the thugs about the school even the 7th year ones tended to keep their distance from her. She was knowing for being the top student in DA and for damn good reason. Any duel she had been in so far she had won hands down, the other student fairing definitely worse out of it. She looked down at the younger boy now listening to his motive and catching a look on his face that she recognized especially when she saw who he had been looking at. Casting a withering glance in that direction she looked back to the boy.

A thoughtful expression stole over her and she nodded.
"Go on sit down" she summoned a chair to her side and sat down alongside him, "What is it you're trying to study?"
placing her own books on the small table she knew she could spare the boy some of her time if he seriously needed help.

Mark was relieved when the girl said that he could sit down wherre he was, He smiled at her. as he sat down flicked through his book to the page he was at before. He was studying potions and he couldnt do it to save his life, he was terrible at it. He looked up at the girl to answer her question. "Thank you and im studying potions, Not that studying will help, im terrible at it."He rested his head in his right hand and looked back down at his book. He could barley understand it, it was like a forean language to him, he sighed heavily.

She neither said your welcome or gave any other reply, other than pulling his book towards her and scanning the chapter he was reading.
"You're what a second year?" she asked then when she saw the chapter on potion ingredients, "this is all very basic stuff you know".

With a sigh she took off her blazer and put it over the back of her chair before rolling up her sleeves and then tying her hair up in a loose bun sticking her wand in it to hold it in place.
"Ok you're going to have to be more specific, for starters what's your name?" she cast him an authoritative glance waiting for the his answer before pressing on, "secondly... what exactly don't you get? I'm not being a smart ass here but if I knew exactly what part of potions you were having problems with, I could help you. I'm Moko by the way".

Mark nodded when she said that he was in his second year. He couldnt really say that he diddnt get any of it so he just had to think of what he was most stuck on. " Im Mark and i know its all basic stuff, I carnt do potions and i find the concoction the hardest part because i can never seem to get it right." Mark sighed deeply, he wasnt used to people helping him or being kind, he usually got ingor or bullied. He looked at the girl and tried to figure out what year she was in. She was obveously an older student and in a higher year but he was never good at ages. "What year are you in then?"

Moko listened to him and shook her head slowly. The poor kid but he wasn't he only one. She had always found potions easy enough, having parents who were or had been ministry officials meant she had to pull out good grades, she had worked hard and endeavored to be as good as she possibly could be at her subjects without being classified as a know-it-all.
"I'm 6th year Mark" she sweeped her long brown hair from her shoulder so it fell down her back once more, the action revealed the prefect badge that he long hair had obscured, "and I am also your prefect".
She winked at him and cast another look up towards the other second year before turning her attention once more to Mark.
"Right grab your things, I'm going to take you for some practical exposure in the potions room. It's ok, I go there all the time to ... do stuff".
Another wink at him as she stood up and looking at the books she had taken out decided she would get them again later and using the wandless magic that she was now becoming adapt at, she sent them back to the shelves. Waiting to see if he would actually come with her Moko rested one hand on her hip while the other rested on the back of the chair.
"Haven't got all day Mark, come on".

Mark looked away trying not too stare and she sweeped her hair over her shoulder, and then smiled when she informed him that she was his prefect. He could feel himself blush as she winked at him then he cleared his throat. He grabbed his stuff and shuved them all into his bag and stood up. "ummm ok but i must warn you that i might just blow something up in the process." Mark quickley shifeted his gaze across the room, the boy was looking at him so Mark smiled sarcasticly at him. Then he muttered underhis breath so Moko wouldnt hear. "Muppet." He looked back up at her to see that she had sent her books away without a wand. "Cool. How do youdo that without a wand?"

Moko laughed at his comment about blowing things up and shook her head as she began to walk but walking slowly enough so he could catch up with her.
"You blow anything up and you get to drink any concoction we are brewing at the time. That should give you the incentive to concentrate" it was also something her father had said to her many times when he had taught her various potions during her vacations from school. They slowly made their way out of the library and headed to the potions room.

"It's wandless magic, you'll learn it too when you get to 6th year and when you get to 7th year you'll learn non verbal magic. Now that is one I am looking forward too. It is pretty hard and I can only use it so far on basic first year spells but you'll find out I am a determined person, I don't give up very easy and I work damn hard" she stopped them suddenly to look at the boy beside her.
He was very cute but much too young of course.
"I expect nothing less than your best, if I am going to spend my precious time helping you out. I seriously expect you to try nothing less than your best" her expression was very serious but she also had a twinkle in her dark brown eyes, that seemed to take the edge off how sharp her tone was with him.

Mark swallowed loudly and then smiled weakly. " That sounds like a bucket of fun. And you do look like some one eho is all about her work" Marks eye brows knitted together as he bit his lip, he hoped that he haddent just affended her by saying that. When he looked back at her he smiled at her. " Dont worry i will give it my all.My cousin taught me a little about wordless magic and i can do it a bit but nothing major." He walked up to her side then looked at a stray book that had been left on the table then moved his hand up a little and the book did the same but after about a second plumeted back down with a bang. He giggled a little. So what room are we going to then?"

Not sure whether or not to take his words as a compliment or an insult, Moko looked at him shrewdly for a moment.
"Einstein we are going to go to the potion room. Did you think I would take you to the astronomy tower or something?" she chuckled as they turned a corner and had to walk down some dark stairs.
"Incendio" she waved her wand and some of the torches on either side lit to guide their way.

"Hurry up boy, we don't have all day"
within ten minutes they had made their way to the potions room. A large round room filled with shelves upon shelves on bottles, empty and full. One wall contained a large press which held all sorts of ingredients for them to use with discretion of course. Anything for the more dangerous potions was of course locked away in the professors personal store.

On each table there was already a cauldron placed over unlit heaters. Moko stood beside one and waited for him to join her.
"Any idea which potion you'd like to start with?"

He laughed with her, it was a bit of a silly question and if you ask a silly question the you get a silly answer.

He began to follow Moko and after about ten minuets she stopped outside a room. She walked in and stood by a cauldron. " Ummm im not ure, something easy?" He was a little nervous now and diddnt know what to say to her so he walked over and stood opposite to her so he could see what she would do. He diddnt know much and that was evidently obveous to anybody so he just look at her and hoped that she would think of one, an easy one preferably.

Moko sighed, Mark was either clueless or was trying to simply spend as much time in her company as possible. She walked to the large press and asked him to come beside her.
"Well first things first then, familiarize yourself with your ingredients" she took down a jar and showed it to him, "This is wormwood, any idea what it is usually used for and don't say potions" she glared at him still with a twinkle in her eyes.

She handed him the jar so he could get a better look.
"Take some out if you want, get a good knowledge of it physically as well as theoretically so that you will be able to identify it by sight, smell and touch not just by someone telling you its name. I could very well have called it Asphodel or something else entirely but unless you know your ingredients you'd remain ignorant. A very dangerous commodity in a potions class. The wrong ingredient could end up killing someone".

Mark went beside her and laughed at what she said then shook his head. "I wouldnt have said that anyway, i would have said that Wormwood is a very bitter herb, used in potion-making since ancient times. And that is used in the Draught of Living Death." Mark smiled then looked in the jar. His eye brows knitted together as he opened it then took out a bit then put it on the table and looked at Moko. "Now what?"

Moko smiled impressed in spite of herself.
"Very good Mark now simply smell it, touch it get to know it" she told him, "did you know they also use wormwood for the making of wands?"

She turned to look at the press once more before taking out another jar. This one she opened carefully as she passed it to him.
"Ok this is wolfsbane, can you tell me what other names it goes by? and what it is used for?"

Moko leaned against the press and watched the younger boy wondering if he knew anything about this one as well.

Mark returned her smile then nodded to answer her question. He smelled it then wrinkled his nose then looked at it. Then at Moko as she asked him another question. He thought about it alittle befor answering. " Its sometimes know as aconite or monkshood, and it is used mainly in Wolfsbane Potion which is a complex potion that relieves, but does not cure, the symptoms of lycanthropy." He smiled widley at her then opened the other jar and smelled it, it was even worse than the other one. "Ewww that one smells horrible."

Moko laughed and couldn't resist the urge to smack him over the back of his head, though when she did it she made sure to do it gently and playfully.
"Next time try not to sound quite like you're reading it straight from a book. Kudos for the right answer though. Extra piece of info on this one, when in their human form werewolves are actually ok around wolfsbane but its actually poisonous to them in their werewolf form" she winked at him then folding her arms turned to look at him.

"Well you seem to have a really good grasp of the ingredients and I'd imagine you do with your tools as well. Come on quick check" she smiled leading him over to one of the tables. On it as on the other tables were all the tools that a student would need for the creation of any potion.

"Ok these three here" she pointed to
the first one, when he answered she pointed to the next one and then onto the third item.
Moko would have thought the kid extremely dense if he hadn't gotten any of those right.

Mark laughed when she hit him and then listend when she told him another fact. He followed her over to another table where there were tools on it. He looked at the ones that she showed him and irdthen told her what there were. " well the first one is a pestle and mortar, the second one is a scale and thethr one is a knife" He looked back at her and again smiled but this was only half hearted.

She winked at him again and made a big show of clapping her hands.
"Well come on they were so easy" she grinned at him becoming thoughtful, "so you know your tools and you are book taught for sure on your ingredients. So what exactly is your problem with potions? I mean if you can learn word for word an ingredient then surely its not so short leap to reading instructions on how to brew a potion?"

Moko pulled herself up on to the desk, sitting facing him. Crossing her long legs at the knee she waited for his reply.

Mark smiled then watched as she sat down and crossed her legs then had to think about what he was going to say. " Well i mean i can read what to do but whenever i actually try and do it, it never works." He thought back to the last time he made a potion and it diddnt work and it was his partner that paid the price, he was trying to get the dirt off his face for weeks

Moko sighed but refused to give up. She walked purposefully to one of the books on top of the professors desk and brought it back down to the table where Mark was near. She slammed the heavy book down on the desk then pointed to it.
"Ok pick any potion in there from the first two chapters. Anything else would be just way too advanced for you. Pick one and I'll take you through it step by step ok?"

She seriously didn't know why she was spending or wasting so much time here but the kid seemed genuinely ok and helping him out didn't seem such a huge deal in the big scheme of things.

Mark was alittle startled by the loud bang that the book made. He opend it up near the fron and pointed to the first potion he saw. It was called a Hair-raising Potion, it diddnt look too hard to make but it diddnt usually matter with Mark. He looked at Moko. "Is that one ok?"

Tyson ran into the potions room in a panic...but releived that Mark was where Jay had said he'd be.

"Mark!!! Mark!!! Jay needs to see you...right away...he's mad so watch out mate...you best get going."

Mark was startled by Tyson running into the room and shouting at him. He was a little nervouse when he was told that Jay wanted to see him and that he was mad. It spelt trouble. Mark looked at Moko not sure about what to do. If he stayed then Jay would probably get even madder and might beat him up or worse. If he left then he would feel bad about leaving Moko after everything she had done for him. He decided not to get beaten up and and looked back at Moko. "Im so sorry Moko i have to go, i feel really bad about this but i dont have a choice. Thank you so much for what you have done. We should do it again some time." Mark power walked to the door where Tyson was stood then ran out of the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back