Strength Training

Sophia blinked her golden eyes at Bruin as he held out his broom. They did have the same broom, only in different colors. She then thought about the motion Bruin had been doing and realized she had never really tried to lift her broom in such a manner.

Extending her left hand Sophia grabbed the broom from Bruin and began to move her arm as Bruin had demonstrated. She found the bicep burl very odd and her arm was tired after about 13 repetitions, at which time she set the bottom of the broom on the ground and held it up.

Bruin smiled, but sensed that this might be getting a little boring. "That was good. I think doing a 3 sets of each of those exercise with a little rest in between, every other day, would give you a little bit more upper body strength." Bruin was proud of himself for having remembered something from his muggle phys ed classes. "But don't overdo it, muscles need rest and recovery time or they will get really sore and maybe even injured. Now, are you ready to hit some bludgers?"

Sophia considered Bruin's advice, wondering how he knew all of this and if there was perhaps a book she could read on the subject. A wave of relief came over her when he suggested hitting bludgers. Sophia was not sure she could remember any more new exercises.

"Yes, I think I am ready to try hitting the bludger now."

"Alright then, why don't you two mount up and I'll release one bludger and then join you in the air." Bruin said, hoping that no one got injured so close to the start of the season.

Sophia gave a nod and handed Bruin his broom back. She then walked over to where her things were located and grabbed her Beater's bat in her left hand, her broom in her right. Mounting her broom she took off and did a small circle, coming to hover about twenty feet in the air facing Bruin.

"Wow, Kale you are so quiet today...are you ready too? Great...here it comes." Bruin shouted as he opened a case containing a bludger and released it from its restraints.

The bludger erupting from the case and headed skyward.

Kale had been sitting back behind the sidelines as he watched Bruin teach some stregnth training excercises, he wasn't really interested in building muscle that way, at least not today. After being quiet for quite some time now, he was busy trimming the twigs on his broom and spacing out. When Bruin spoke to Kale and let the bludger free, he nodded at him and mounted his broom; kicking off from the ground and into the sky. Gripping his bat firmly, he waited to see what direction the bluger barreled to.

Feeling a rush of confidence for seemingly no reason Sophia decided to go after the bludger. She dashed over to the right and stopped, turning to position herself at a good angle to hit the bludger. Pulling back her left hand back she swung forward and her bat made contact with the bludger, sending it off at a rather odd angle toward Kale. Sophia pulled her arm in close to her body and put her right hand on it, trying not to let her expression look pained. Her arm did not appreciate all of the force she had put into her swing.

Kale sat back and watched from afar as Sophia struck the bludger with what looked like a lot of force, she seemed to not show any pain at all; or so he thought. As the bludger that she sucessfully hit came barreling in his direction with an almost zig zag pattern, he tried to hit it even at the odd angle it was coming to him. Kale struck the bludger with full body force, he let out a grunt while hitting it in Bruin's direction. He pushed his hair out of his face, searching manically through the air for the second bludger that hadn't yet made itself seen.

Bruin barely had time to mount his broom and get airborne before having Kale send a bludger his direction. He had spent a few moments simply watching Sophia's technique and hadn't really thought about joining in until she struck the bludger with authority.

Bruin lifted his bat with his right hand and delivered a shot straight back at Kale, hoping to keep his frined on his toes.

(ooc-I only release one bludger for now)

(Whoops, okay. :p)

Kale looked toward Sophia, expecting Bruin to hit the bludger in her direction. When the bludger was now flying back toward him, Kale swung back his bat and smacked it hard; sending it straight to Sophia's path. He watched as the bludger flew in a zig zag formation, hoping that it wouldn't confuse her too much, he would hate for her to get injured before their first game.

Sophia frowned as she watched the bludger that Bruin had hit at Kale head back to her. Her left arm was screaming in protest but she drew it back anyway and swung forward to hit the bludger. The bat and bludger made contact, but her swing did not have very much power behind it.

The bludger went off away from all three of them and Sophia frowned openly. She grasped her left arm with her right hand and looked at Kale and Bruin. "I apologize, I am not very good."

Bruin smiled, keeping one eye on the wayward bludger and another on Sophia. He hated that she was so hard on herself, but then couldn't really call her on it, being somewhat of a perfectionist himself. "That's alright, it just takes some getting used to. Why all the interest in becoming a beater anyways? I'd be surprised if Slytherin could find a better Keeper then you."

"It is important to be versatile. You never know when you might have to switch positions. Although I do not know who else would be Keeper. No one else showed interest in being Keeper for Slytherin to my knowledge." Sophia turned to look over her shoulder for the bludger and saw it was now making its way toward Bruin.

Bruin understood Sophia's comment about versatility all too well, but wondered why she had chosen to train at Beater as opposed to Chaser or Seeker. Perhaps she liked to hit things as much as he did?

Noting that the bludger was now headed in his direction, Bruin shifted slightly, intent upon delivering a backhanded blow off to his right in the general direction of Kale. Unfortunately, he mistimed his swing and the bludger struck him on the knuckles and ricocheted harmlessly off, satisfied with having dented it's target's armour and intent on finding a new target.

Bruin's face contorted in pain and he dropped his beater's bat instinctively, shaking his hand and letting out a string of curses under his breath as he turned on his broom and flew down to ground level. When he arrived on solid ground, he took his first look at his hand, which was now throbbing almost as much as it had when he had punched the wall weeks earlier. Bruin wiggled his fingers gingerly and decided that nothing was likely broken, although it certainly didn't feel that way.

Sophia's golden eyes widened in shock as she witnessed Bruin's display, dropping his beater's bat and fly to the ground. With a worried expression Sophia flew over and down to where Bruin had landed. She dismounted her broom, dropped her bat, and rushed over to him.

"Are you all right? What happened?" She saw he was wiggling his fingers and grabbed his hand. She began to poke about, moving his fingers and touching joints and such as she inspected his hand.

"Bludger just caught me on the knuckles..." Bruin said as Sophia poked and prodded, wondering what she was doing until he recalled that she had volunteered in the Hospital Wing. "That's what happens when you don't concentrate enough, I suppose..." Bruin stated, knowing deep down that he had been trying to show off and deserved what had happened.

"I do not think you broke anything. Tell me if something hurts." She began to ignore his fingers and began squeezing each of his knuckles. It surprised Sophia that Bruin would get himself hurt, especially during a laid back practice such as this, but she was not about to say anything. At least not now, while she was busy inspecting.

Bruin listened as Sophia attempted to reassure him about the state of his hand. For some strange reason he didn't mind her attempting to diagnose his injury, but couldn't resist doing something his dad used to do when he was being poked. With each knuckle she squeezed, Bruin repeated "Owww! Quit it!" in his best Bert or Bart Simpson voice, only noting a little bit of discomfort when she squeezed the knuckle of his index finger.

Sophia jumped back when Bruin yelled, letting go of his hand. She looked seriously concerned, not even considering that Bruin would joke with her about this. Stepping back to him, she took his hand in hers and began looking closely at the knuckle she had squeezed.

"What hurts?" she asked with concern in her voice and on her face as she looked up at Bruin, waiting for his answer.

Kale took a lap around the pitch as he saw the bludger flying in Bruin's direction, when he was making his way back he could hear a variety of curses being called out from him. Kale cursed to himself only imagining what it could be, considering he had never heard his friend go off like he was at the moment. Kale headed back for the ground and fetched Bruin's bat before walking back toward him where Sophia was trying her best to help. Wiping off a bead of sweat he looked down at Bruin's hand, "Ahh, Bru are you alright man?" he asked way more concerned than usual, "Did the nasty bludger clip you?" Kale inquired with wide eyes.

Bruin hadn't expected Sophia to take him seriously, forgetting that she had very limited experience to muggle culture, or people with odd senses of humour for that matter. "It's alright, sorry about that. Just the index finger hurts a little when you put pressure on it. The rest seem fine. So, what do you think Doctor Stark? Will I live?" Probably not, if I don't stop joking around with her like this, Bruin thought to himself as the words escaped his lips He tried his cutest smile to try and let Sophia know that he was sorry for teasing her and that he appreciated her concern and care.

Sophia's golden eyes narrowed as she looked up at Bruin, staring him down. She was quite serious, trying to access the damage to his hand, and here he was joking with her. "Well, your wounds will not kill you, but you might perhaps die by other means," she said harshly as she turned her attention back to his hand. She squeezed the knuckle on his middle finger, a bit harder than she had before.

Bruin grimaced a little with the added pressure that Sophia was applying, amazed at how strong her pinch was. "Alright already...that one is fine. I think it's just the index finger that hurts." Bruin left his hand in Sophia's grasp, not wanting to pull it away for several reasons, not the least of which was fear at what she might do to him if he did.

Sophia sighed slightly and moved back to Bruin's index finger, pushing gently on it. "I am thinking it is just a mild sprain. I can make some salve if you desire, but I think all you need to do is be careful for about a week." She let go of Bruin's hand and looked at him. Her look was much less serious now, as she had cooled off a bit, but she was still serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back