Strength Training

Kale stood quietly as Sophia examined Bruin's injury, unsure of what to do. He sighed, figuring that their practice was over. Looking down at his wrist watch he looked stared at the others, "Well, if you think Bruin'll be okay and doesn't need help to the hospital wing.." he said his voice riddled with sarcasm with a smirk on his face and continued, "I gotta get going, I told Estrella I'd meet her in Hogsmeade." Kale picked up his broom and shoved his bat so it was sticking outside of his pack. He gave them both one last goofy salute, he walked toward the gates to exit the pitch.

Sophia looked over to Kale as he spoke, giving him a nod. "Yes, of course. I believe we are done here anyway." She gave Bruin a stern glance as if silently telling him that he would not be playing Quidditch for a bit. Turning back she saw Kale walking off and decided it was not necessary to say anything else.

"See you later Kale!" Bruin called after his friend and then turned back to Sophia. "Thanks for taking care of me. What's a salve?" Bruin asked Sophia, wondering if it was some kind of magic medicine. "Oh, and sorry that we had to cut the practice short, but I suppose you could always do some more chin-ups if you like?" Bruin said with a playful grin.

"Salve, it is like an ointment. It helps ease pain. As for chin ups I do not plan on trying those again for a while, not until I feel I am much stronger. And do not feel sorry about cutting the practice short. it is not as if you were trying to get hurt." Sophia smiled softly at Bruin, not even considering that he might have been able to prevent his injury.

Oh, I see..." Bruin replied, partially referring to the ointment and partially to Sophia's decision to hold off on some of the exercises for a while.

"You're right, I wasn't trying to get hurt, but I think I might have been a little distracted, maybe even showing off...so I kind of deserve it, I suppose." Bruin sighed, he didn't mind admitting to Sophia what had happened, he had grown to a comfort level with her that being honest with her just seemed the natural thing to do. "So, what's up for the rest of your day?" he asked as he began to pack up his stuff.

"Showing off?" Sophia asked, a bit surprised. "Why would you be showing off? It was only me and Kale." She decided to ignore his inquiry about the rest of her day until she knew why Bruin was showing off.

Bruin hadn't really thought about why he was showing off, but the more he did the more it dawned on him that he was trying to impress someone. As this realization came to him, he fumbled a bit with how to respond and his words fell out of his mouth in little fits and starts. "Well, uh...I guess...uh, I, uh....just wanted...to, uh, look, you know, good, for you", he stammered, before quickly adding "....uh, you two!" Bruin turned his face away for a moment, hoping that he wasn't blushing, but unsure if he was winning that particular battle. "You know, I wouldn't want you...you, Slytherins to think, uh, us Gryffindors are going to be pushovers..."

Yeah, that sounded good, he thought, but not really believing it.

Sophia watched Bruin blunder with a strange expression, unsure of what to think. He was acting quite odd, that was for sure. She decided that he was merely jumbled at the moment and shook her head slightly.

"Anyway, I think I am going to work on some homework. What about you?"

"Yeah, that's probably not a bad idea. I have History of Magic and Charms stuff to do. Are you going to work in the library or back at Slytherin?" he asked, slowly regaining his composure.

"Not sure," Sophia began. She looked at Bruin for a few moments, her expression considering. "Where were you planning on working?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back