Starting Over - Sort Of

Meloetta Kovalenko

OOC First Name
Cole
New schools had never been in Meloetta's future, until after she'd realized how little she liked Hogwarts in New Zealand. She had disliked the style of environment, as the people there seemed much less eloquent and cold - much less like her home with her father. She didn't want to make fast friends for the most part, and instead wanted to focus on her studies in Charms. The teen whom viewed herself as more adult than much of her classmates excitedly chose a wardrobe to fit. Her father whom was a business man approved more of the way she dressed than the way Hogwarts had dressed her, and so Meloetta felt freed in the school. Of course there was uniforms during classes, but while she wandered the ground she insisted on a laced dress and modest Mary Jane's. She held close to her her book and wandered in silence among the grounds, watching as some people spoke quietly, others heading to the quidditch pitch to practice. Everything seemed so peaceful and Mel could get used to this environment. The only thing she missed - and missed was a strong term - was her sister whom had some endearing yet annoying qualities. However over time perhaps distance would be better for the twins, so Meloetta could become her own person.

Jamie liked the school, he had found it odd to begin with but he’d been here almost a year, and he was settling in just fine. He had some friends, he was on the quidditch team and he was just focusing so much on just being together in this french school, that he hadn’t even realise how well he was doing. As he made his way back to the school from the quidditch pitch, he noticed a girl who looked somewhat familiar, like perhaps he had known her from school. So, the boy decided to go at the very least ask. He walked over, ”Hey!” he called out in french to make her stop or slow down, but eventually he just broke into a run as he went over to the girl until he was in front of her, now he was sure he remembered from somewhere, ”Don’t I know you?” the boy said, ”I’m sure we’ve met before, did you go to a different school? I bet you did!” he continued excitedly, he was sure he’d maybe just seen her, she must have gone to hogwarts! That must be the been the connection. She did look so familiar to him. They had probably never really met, but had at least been in the house maybe.

The fifth year stopped in her tracks when a whirlwind of a boy ran past her and then stopped in front of her. Mel was shocked and nearly dropped the book she held, taking a step back. She looked down slightly, her Mary Janes making her taller than the boy. She was shocked to see someone asking her if she went to a different school. "Da. Uhm yes." She answered in French, a still foreign language on her Russian tongue. "I attended Hogwarts New Zealand for four years." Meloetta had kept to herself and not made any friends, she still didn't have many friends but it didn't bother her too much. "Did you go there as well?" She inquired, shifting mildly uncomfortably. She hadn't had human contact outside of classes and her dorm mates in quite some time.

The boy was surprised that he was right. That she had gone to another school before this one, he couldn't place her name or who she really was, but she just seemed familiar to him. Someone whose face he'd seen but that was all he knew about it. The boy smiled at her, her accent much like his for French still needed work but he was smiling with ease at her, "Oh wow yeah, I went there, but only for a year," he told her with a grin. He had only been there a year, but he had been about the school and if she had been there four years, they had definitely crossed paths at least just perhaps walked down the same hallway several times. Maybe even the girl had been in the same house, "So you're a fifth year then?" he asked, "I'm only a third year, but I've been at beauxbatons two years and it's a great school," the teen continued, "Were you a gryffindor? I was, maybe that's why you seem so familiar to me!" the boy couldn't really understand why she looked so familiar to him when he knew this was the first time she'd spoken to her.

Meloetta hugged her books tighter to her chest. It was almost uncomfortable how much energy the boy had, as often times excess energy was discouraged of in her household - it was why the blonde had hobbies. If she focused her energies elsewhere she wouldn't become pent up or anxious. "Mm. I can definitely understand why you would only stay for a year." While bad mouthing was not graceful, Meloetta wasn't about to lie about how she felt about Hogwarts New Zealand. The little bit of a smile on Mel's face fell when the boy mentioned his house. Her sister was a Gryffindor. Maybe that's why he was acting so upbeat - just like her sister. The Russian looked away. "I was a Ravenclaw. You're confusing me with my sister. Twin." The word was quite dangerous coming out of her mouth. "I'm sorry. I don't recognize you."

Jamie was surprised by how uncomfortable the girl looked, it was fair if she didn't remember him but he was remember the girl being a little more smiley than this girl was being. He shook his head at her, "Not my choice, parents got a better job here," he told her happily, he had minded the move to begin with but he was far happier here now, there was just more to see and do. He was enjoying his classes, the company he kept. The teen was surprised but it made sense that she didn't recognise him if he was remembering her twin, "Oh I'm sorry!" he told her apologetically, "I'm Jamie, what's your name?" he knew it wasn't the girl he was remembering but this was no reason to not be nice to her and try to get to know her a little better. He was pretty eager to do so, after all, he was just always happy to meet people he could talk to, his french was still in need of improvement, "How long have you been at Beauxbatons? it's quite a change right? Both in locations and just how the schools are run. Admittedly I like Beauxbatons a lot but I do miss the house system of hogwarts," he said, waiting to here what she liked or didn't like about the schools.

Meloetta gave a sideways glance at a noise beside them as some teens walked the grounds. It was getting to be a busier time where students would come out and sit and have fun with their friends. Mel wasn't usually one of those people as she found it was hard to connect and make friends. Perhaps she should try with the boy in front of her whom seemed eager to know who she was. After all, at least she'd be able to talk to someone when she'd run out of homework and reading to do. The blonde tried to smile a little more sincerely. "I'm Meloetta. I've just transferred so this is my first year but I'm a Fifth year. It is a change." She thought over her net words with a sense of need to be appropriate. "I like this better. Even the uniforms are more... elegant." Perhaps Meloetta just wasn't as interested in the kind of fun these people were she thought - referring to Jaime and others from the Gryffindor house like him. "You liked the housing system? You didn't feel separated from any friends?"

Jamie smiled at the girl as she introduced herself, Meloetta, the name was familiar to him but he had no idea why it was. He shook his head and instead focused on what she was saying, "Well, welcome!" he told her, since this was her first year at the school. It was indeed a change, a big change really. No small feat, especially given the language barrier! The boy couldn't stop his warm expression to her, "If you need any help Mel, just let me know, I am happy to help any new student who is also a former Hogwarts student," he couldn't help but agree with her that the uniforms were more elegant, certainly just very different from the uniforms he was used to. The boy shook his head, "I mean I didn't have any friends when I got to the school, so it made sure I had to make friends," the boy hadn't made too many friends during his time at the school, but he had made a few, and they had been gryffindors like him. it had been a good balance. "Did you not like it? Did you get separated from your friends? You must really miss them now!" he then returned to her, while also realising that what he said wasn't perhaps helpful to her.

Inside of Meloetta's head she cringed, eye twitching. On the outside though she continued to hold a smile that denoted she was listening and not thinking of a great hex to place on the boy who dared to call her 'Mel' without really knowing her. Her father didn't even call her Mel. He said nicknames were for those who did not appreciate the name given to them, and could not make that name great. Meloetta could make her name great. "It was nice enough, but some of the houses were so caught up in pretentious wars over which house was better they lost site of the purpose of furthering their magical abilities. You don't have to flaunt a color if you actually know what you're doing with your wand." Then Meloetta added, because she realized just how cold she sounded. "But No, I didn't make any friends. I don't usually." It wasn't said to make him pity her, it was just the truth. Meloetta was a little rough around the edges, and she didn't see the point in getting close to people. Her father said it was very important to be self reliant, and never count on anyone for anything. Though, perhaps it did get a little lonely never being able to talk to anyone. "Can't believe you didn't make friends. You're kind of like a puppy." The russian spoke, hoping he knew it was a compliment.

The boy was a little surprised by her bluntness but couldn't help but admit that she was right about it, in the end it didn't really matter what colour or badge one sported by their magical ability. He hadn't had any problems upon coming to this school with his old house, no one seemed to care enough about it to comment and it hadn't affected any of his chances. So she was right, it was all about magical ability, not personality, "Wow Mel, I've never really heard it be put like that, it's right though, you're right," he was even glossing over the fact that she had just said she didn't have any friends, just looking at her pretty impressed. Clearly Mel was far smarter than him, "You're really smart," he added with a smile, "I had some friends, not a lot, but some," the boy admittedly, somewhat leaving out that he didn't keep his friends around long, that due to his excitedness it hadn't caught on with everyone. "I like it better here, people are nicer, I mean they're also fancier but they're nice! Are you settling in okay? I can be your friend until you make others? Help make the transition a little less lonely!" he told her excitedly, since he would definitely do that. He was sure that when she got some friends she would leave him behind but he could handle that, for now he was just happy to help her.

There was that d**ned nickname again. However it was followed closely by being told she was right about her view on the houses. Meloetta was taken aback by him telling her she was right as her father often did not acknowledge such little things. After all, opinions in a technicality could not be right or wrong. They could only sound one or the other. The blonde tucked hair behind her ear, blushing at being told she was smart. Damn compliments - she couldn't help her bodies natural reaction to them, which was surprise and embarrassment. Inwardly Meloetta had to take deep breaths to prevent herself from blushing any further. She'd need to work on receiving compliments without becoming a mess. She now looked up at the boy, offering to be her friend, and nearly interrupted him to ask why he would only want to be a transition friend. She waited however, until he was done. "That seems to be selling yourself short." She remarked. "Why would I only want you as a friend until I make other friends, if I make other friends. If you are my friend you are stuck with me." She smiled, hoping the joke was funny, as she thought it was. She waited for a moment before looking at him again. "So.... friends?" She inquired, unsure how one decided if they were actually friends, still new to friendly socialization.

Jamie shrugged at her, he was more than used to people making other friends and just mostly leaving him behind, it happened far less here at beauxbatons, but he was excited by the prospect of someone who actually wanted to be his friend, and properly his friend. It wasn't even him pushing her into this idea, she wanted it too! He nodded gleefully, "Friends definitely," Jamie agreed quickly, "So where are you from originally?" the boy asked excitedly, he was happy with the prospect of a friend and curious to find out more about her, her accent wasn't one he could really pinpoint but he hadn't spent much time in the world, so it was obvious that he would struggle to know where exactly this girl was from. It wasn't France, since he'd grown mostly use to that accent, and it couldn't be New Zealand because that was where he was from and he knew she didn't sound like that, "you have an accent that I can't pinpoint, but it's okay if you don't want to tell me where you are from," The boy was sure that friends were supposed to share things about themselves to the other, but he wouldn't force her to.

Meloetta was taken aback once more by the boy's eagerness. No one had ever seemed this eager to be her friend - perhaps it was her resting-bi***-face that turned people off to the idea. Perhaps it was just her general air of cold - Hogwarts hadn't been kind in teh friend department but here there were people who liked her. A very small, but very genuine smile touched her pale coral lips. It only spread farther when he asked about her home country. "I am from Russia. Volgograd to be exact." This was all new to her and Meloetta thought for a moment. "Jamie. I am not good at being a good friend I just want you to be prepared for that." It seemed a little harsh coming from her, and almost a little too open, but Meloetta had always been taught to be truthful if nothing else. "I can only parrot a question back, because I've never been one to take interest in silly things." It was a short explanation, but she hoped it didn't affect that he wanted to eagerly befriend her. "Where is it you are from?"

The beaux boy was gleeful in talking to her, he didn't often get to have a real conversation with people, not like this, he didn't have many friends so people didn't listen to him often. The teen was surprised that she was from Russia and had been at Hogwarts in New Zealand! That was quite a journey. He was surprised by how she followed it and shook his head, "It's okay Mel, I'll be good enough for the two of us," he didn't really mention that he also wasn't actually particularly good at either, he hadn't really kept many friends in his life, so he was sure that she would be as good at it as he was. "I'm from New Zealand, I moved to france with my parents when my dad got a better job here," the boy told her, "I miss New Zealand, but since coming to France, my family has gotten along better, which is good!" he continued with a warmth on his face, "And I've met far more people that I like in France than in New Zealand," he had found himself really enjoying it. The quirks of the country, how good it was to be close to so much else. "Did you like New Zealand or Russia better?" he asked her, "That must mean you speak like three languages!" he suddenly seemed to realise, that was pretty incredible to him.

Meloetta was caught off guard by the profound nature of the boy's next sentence. A good enough friend for the both of them? Was that even possible? The blonde didn't hide her shock at Jaime's words, and instead she raised an eyebrow, trying to find the words to react. She didn't need to though as he continued talking about his move and why he located where he did. What he liked about France versus New Zealand. "I enjoyed New Zealand's warmth, but Christmas is better with snow - as is winter." She spoke with a dreamy tone, she loved the snow and cold. It was the weather she thrived most in, whereas her sister thrived in the warmth. They truly were opposites. Nature versus nurture was easily quotable here. Mel shook her head at his languages remark. "I am not so good with French, but I do speak Russian as well as English. Do you speak more than French and English?" She remarked. Her talents were limited, and French seemed so difficult compared to the two. "I am glad you've made more friends here Jaime. You seem very amiable." She spoke. It was almost a compliment from the pale pink lips of the cold Russian teen. "Maybe I can help you study here if you need? We could work together." She offered, trying to find something in common, as she often felt she had nothing in common with people outside of her academics. What else was there to her after all? She had yet to discover.

Jamie smiled at her, as she told him which she preferred, "I like the summers here more, they're just brighter somehow," the Jamie told her with a small smile. Since it was what he preferred, the summers here were better even if they were at the entirely wrong point in the year to him. The teen was fascinated by the fact she spoke three languages and he was sure where he wouldn't only ever speak the two okay, she would perfect her french far quicker than he would. He shook his head, "Just the two yeah. although I'm still not too good at French, it's really hard!" he told her, he could get by and he was improving by the day. But there were so many things about it that he was struggling with. He'd get it in time he was hopeful of that! The teen was even happier when she said she was happy to have made a friend with him, "Me too Mel!" the teen said in agreement. Then at the suggestion he nodded, "Maybe we can help each other with French?" he suggested, since he definitely could use some help in it and it would be a reason to spend time with her too. His brand new friend!

Meloetta nodded at what Jaime said. Perhaps they were. Perhaps because of his attitude Summer seemed bright. it was strange that Mel could warm up to someone like him - after all he was similar in energy to her sister. Somehow he seemed more genuine and warm though. "French if very hard." She agreed, happy that he spoke English like she did so she did not have to struggle through the language. For a moment Mel thought. "I'd like that." She responded finally. "Jaime, I've got to go." She spoke, suddenly remembering she had to study for a test she'd forgotten about - until he'd mentioned French being hard. So was Charms. Meloetta smiled. "We should have breakfast tomorrow or something okay? I'll find you." She spoke, before awkwardly giving a smile and making her way away from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back