Spring is in the Air

Shalamar Ovanisse

OOC First Name
Linda
Wand
10 3/4 maple with core of unicorn hair
The morning sun had shone in her dorm window brightening up the rather dismal room and waking Shalamar. Stretching herself out on the bed she had yawned before flinging back the blankets and walking to the window. It was too beautiful a day to be stuck in bed, much too beautiful. With a smile she grabbed her toiletry bag and had raced to the restrooms to wash up before returning and getting dressed. Breakfast was quiet enough as she was still very early, it was after all only 7:30 am and many were most likely just getting up now. Having the entire day free of classwork Shalamar took herself off to library after breakfast to research some spells and potions before finally closing the books and looking out the window once more. The day beckoned to her, it took her no time at all to return the books to their respective shelves before going back to her dorm changing her shoes grabbing her bag and heading out.

It was not usually Shalamar's thing to go walking about Brightstone alone but today after so many things had happened, she felt a break from the school was justly needed. The village was teaming with other students now and she found herself smiling brightly as she passed some of them. Though convinced she had spotted Henric at one point she steeled herself as she drew closer, heaving a sigh of relief when it was not him at all. She was doing much better of late where he was concerned. She thought of him considerably less and if she could remember all her dreams at night time, she could say quite clearly that he was no longer featuring in them as he once had.

She stopped outside a shop front window looking at the books displayed, tempted as she was to buy some new ones she seriously did have enough books for now.

Mark stood up from the bench which he had been sitting for the past ten minutes. He thought for a second on where to go next to pass the time away. It seemed that that was all he ever seemed to have now was time on hi hands. Mark sighed and just began to walk in a random direction and see where it took him. He wasnt really used to Brightstone as he never usually came here that often, even less so when he knew tht the whole of hogwarts was allowed out. He came to a shop and decided to see what was inside, he saw through the window that there was a lot of books around so he guessed that they sold books. He sighed again and looked a to his side and saw a pretty girl that he never seen before. A smile crossed his face as he saw an opportunity to pass the time and to get friendly with yet another girl. " I wonder what this shop sells. Its really hard to guess." He laughed slightly at his joke. " Im guessing your from Hogwarts as i have never seen you before. How are you finding your holiday?" Mark though tis was a simple enough way to start a conversation off.

She stood transfixed, an avid lover of books her collection was extensive and yet she would happily add to it at any opportunity but today she was trying her best not to get bogged down in her usual routine of arriving in Brightstone heading directly to the book store, acquiring some new tomes before heading back to the school. No, today she was going to venture around Brightstone. Move further than the book store, amble to the park perhaps or get herself an icecream cone. She was very partial to them yet often denied herself the pleasure. About to move away she noticed the boy beside her, he spoke and at first she looked about her but there was no one else there. Her gaze drifted to the extremely packed window display of every book size and genre conceivable, quirking an eyebrow at him she smiled when he laughed. A joke then, it had nearly gone over her head at first she was unused to jokes of any kind. So serious practically all the time.

"I think this is just a front, the store actually is only a tea shop" she kept her face devoid of a smile though she was merely suppressing the one that seemed to want to beam now. She felt light and frivolous for some reason and was glad to meet someone who was not quite so serious as she was.
"I am indeed from Hogwarts" this time she did smile, "I was only joking about the shop, it is a bookstore".
It would have been difficult indeed for anyone other than the students from Hogwarts to know her or pay her any attention, she didn't venture very far at all and she usually never spoke to strangers. Unfamiliar students at the school was one thing but this boy did not appear to be from Hogwarts.
"My holiday? Oh you mean our short break being allowed out of the school to go here or to the Mall? It is fine enough I suppose considering it really only began for me fifteen minutes ago when I arrived here. What school do you attend?" Shalamar turned to face him as she spoke, her gentle smile never very far from her face now.

Mark laughed at her joke. If she had not have told him that it was infact a book store then he would have acctually belived her about the whole tea thing. He looked at her with a smile on his face. He was in a good mood now he had found someone to talk to. " Im in Durmstrang. Im a sixth year there. I thought that the holiday started ages ago, or have you just stayed in school all that time?" Mark didnt really strain himself to learn the holidays of other schools. He knew his own holidays and that was about it, he didnt need to learn anyone elses.

She very nearly breathed a sigh of relief when he laughed at her joke, sometimes she felt her sense of humor was too stiff and needed vast amounts of exercise.
"Durmstrang? I have never met someone from that school. Is it nice? I have heard nothing about it I'm afraid, please forgive my rudeness. I am the first in my family to have attended a proper school instead of being homeschooled" she continued to smile, it was almost in responce to his own. The boy appeared to be a bit older than she was but that didn't matter, this was a chance to meet someone new and hopefully make a new friend.

"No we only get holidays at Christmas time and again for the winter vacation. That would be your summer vacation" she knew that Durmstrang was one of the northern hemisphere schools but that was about the extent of her knowledge on the subject. She glanced back at the book store window wondering if they had a book on the school or other schools for that matter in the magical world. Her attention moved back to the boy swiftly enough when she realized something.
"I am Shalamar Ovanisse" she smiled again at him.

Mark shrugged. " Dont worry about it, im not that sensitive. Yeah i suppose its an ok school i geuss. And i wouldnt waste your time on the whole seasons thing, i blows right over my head." He laughed and held out his hand. " Its nice to meet you Shalamar Ovanisse. Im Mark Stone." He smiled back at her wondering if she was single or not.

She felt utterly foolish now for not offering her hand to him. It had been a thought for sure but she hadn't considered it as being the done thing for kids their age, so simply had refrained from extending her hand to him trying to play it cool. Obviously cool and Shalamar did not mix well in the same sentence. She took his hand in her small one and shook it gently, responding once again to the smile he gave her with one of her own.
"Hello Mark Stone, it's nice to meet you too" she told him very matter of factly, "so what brings you all this way?"She hoped she wasn't being overly curious here or anything, if she was he could always tell her to mind her own business of course. Shalamar couldn't help but notice that he smiled alot and she ha d liked his laughter very much.

Mark noticed her hestitating to shake his hand, he passed it as ehr not thinking about it properly. He shrugged when she asked him the question that he didnt really have an answer to himself. He thought for a second. " Well i suppose its because i live near here and i just wanted to get out the house for a while and this is where i ended up. Luckily for you and me both i guess." He winked at her as he decided to turn on his charm and see how she would react

Shalamar retracted her hand slowly from his, blushing slightly at the contact with a complete stranger. Of course she ended up blushing considerably more when he winked at her. She was so unused to that type of thing. No boy ever really flirted with her or attempted too at least. Daniel had tried once but she had squarely rebuked him for his efforts but she had been hopelessly attracted to Henric at the time. Now she wasn't or so she kept telling herself. The boy before her was really cute, she gazed up at him to actually look at him properly. She wanted to scratch that part, he wasn't cute he was really handsome or as the girls back at the dorm would enthuse he was hot with a capital 'H'.

"I guess" she smiled shyly back glancing away hurriedly and trying to find something of interest across the street but other than a woman scolding her two children there was nothing. So she had no other choice but to look back at him again, "You have no school for now?"
He was a sixth year, she was only a fourth year she didn't think he would want to spend too much time in her company if he found that out. For some reason this bothered her greatly and a slight frown creased her features.

Mark chuckled at her when she blushed and smiled at her lack of words. This would be easy enough for him, he had found his mode. " Nope im off school for a while now, which means i can spend more time with this really pretty girl i know called Shalamar. She is so pretty it hurts." He smiled widely as he spoke. He wasnt really trying as far as his flirting usually went, the more a girl was used to it the harder it was and Mark geussed that as she blushed when he winked at her that she didnt get it very often. This just meant that Mark could relax a little.

The more he spoke now the more her cheeks seemed to fill with embarressment or at least with the tinges of awkwardness.
"Do you always talk to completely strange girls like that?" she had to ask of course though she was little convinced that he would tell her anything but the truth. It came too easy to him as if he was practiced, utterly well spoken in the art of flirtation. She sighed gently attempting to look away again but his eyes seemed to hold her fast.

"Perhaps if I am hurting you that much you might wish to leave" Shalamar smiled at him, she would not for the life of her intentionally hurt anyone and though she was certain her looks could not have this type of effect on any male, she found it sweet of him to say so all the same. Intelligent girls rarely got the compliments in her view, so this was a refreshing change.

Mark shrugged. " Only the pretty ones, Who do you ask? And dont worry your not hurting me, nothing i carnt handle." He smiled again. " Besides if i left, that means leaving you open for another guy to claim. I wouldnt want the compertion." He noticed that she was staring at him, not that he minded that at all. " I mean you must have all the guys in school after yu." He laughed to himself as he flirted, he loved flirting it was good sport and practise makes perfect and mark was dam near perfect

This time she knew her cheeks were flaming, her hands went up to touch both cheeks as he continued to assault her with the sword of flirtation. She had never been so addled before. Perhaps one or two boys had seriously tried to flirt with her but she fled from them as fast as she possibly could. she was ill equipped to deal with this. Flight right now seemed to be the best option as well.

Shalamar shook her head rapidly.
"I don't flirt, I don't have boys flirt with me. I ..." it wasn't that she was not pretty, she was beautiful but her studies were much more important to her than what looks were.
"I think most boys are too afraid to come near me. Smart girls have that effect on boys" she eyed him specutively then, what made him different? Perhaps he enjoyed the chase, the game that it all involved. Shalamar was so new to it all and did not see any point in playing games with the heart or mind. Most especially after Henric.

Mark pressed his lips together as he though for a second on his next move, he didnt want to just flirt as that would be boring. " Well that effect onlly works on dumb guys, smart guys like me dont care. Personally i think a smart girl is kind of hot." He raised his eye brows at her when he said the last word. " So now you know you carnt get rid of me that easy, what is your next move?" He smiled slightly and rested his head against the wall and folded his arms across his chest as he waited for her next move so he could think of something else to say

Shalamar felt herself begin to lean against the window of the store which was very unlike her. She was usually so poised and held herself perfectly erect but the more she spoke with Mark the more she felt as if she were being turned to jelly and was in dire need of something to lean against. Just as her shoulder touched the glass, he told her how he thought smart girls were hot. Pointedly looking at her as he did so. Her next move?

She slid rather clumsily so that it was her back that became pressed against the window instead of her side. She felt so ridiculously flustered and more so when he appeared so calm, collected and devastatingly sure of himself. Shalamar was so far out of her depth she was in danger of drowning.
"I don't have .. moves" did she really want to get rid of him? she searched her mind for that answer and could only come up with one and that was a definite no. She may not be completely comfortable with all the things he was saying about her and too her but there was still something else about him that fascinated her enough to want him to stay so she could get to know him better.

"If ... if you are staying" she pushed herself gently from the window once more, looking down at her sandals for the briefest of moments. Her dark brown hair tumbling over her right shoulder as she did so, looking up once again it was to stare down the street for a bit before her gaze returned to him, "perhaps we could walk or something on one condition though ...".
Shalamar smiled brightly at him now, it was almost dazzling how just a smile could brighten her entire face.

Mark watched her lean against the window. He smiled to himself at it. He rolled his eye and sighed with a little chuckle behind it. " Well every body has moves. Just some are different than others." He looked at her with amusement written all over his face. " Fine then. Seems like a fair deal. What is it you want me to do?" He tilted his head to the side with a slight grin on his face.

Taking a step away from him in the direction she wished them to walk in, Shalamar put her hands behind her back and clasped her fingers together tightly. She was nervous and any finger twitching or fiddling that she might otherwise do was best done behind her back where he wouldn't be paying much attention too either.
"On the condition that you stop putting your moves on me then, stop flirting and just be" she didn't think it was an unfair request but if he kept flirting so blatantly with her she seriously didn't think she could last another five minutes.

Mark laughed and rolled his eyes. " I will try but i carnt promise anything. Most of the time i dont even know that im doing it. Is just natural." He smiled crookedly at her then turned in the way that she did and began to walk. " Is that good enough for you?" He looked over his shoulder at her as he spoke. A cheeky grin on his face

She chuckled as he rolled his eyes at her pretending to be all offended but finding she was quite the opposite. Shalamar was slowly discovering that she liked this boys company, he may have been a complete and outright flirt but he was harmless really. He walked along beside her, glancing at her over his shoulder until she lengthened her stride to match his.
"That's good enough for me Mark Stone" she grinned back at him under her long lashes, she was completely unaware of it herself but her own body was unconsciously flirting back with him. The urge to even do a hair flip was strong but she resisted that much at least.

"So it comes naturally to you?" she asked glancing at him as they walked, "What else are you naturally good at then?"

Mark smiled slightly when she said his name. He chuckled and raised his eye brows. " Wouldnt you like to know." He laughed. " Im good at running. I work out ever single day. Im a fast learner." He shrugged at what he said. " What about you them Sha?" He smiled to himself when she had to lengthen her stride to match his, so he slowed down a bit for her

She could not help but laugh herself now as the temptation to playfully punch him presented itself but once again she refrained from doing something so out of character. Perhaps flirting was a natural thing after all or at least when around certain people. She had never felt the inclination to flirt with Henric that was for sure, not that she would even have known how too.
"I like fast learners, I am one too" she told him another smile brightening her face as she looked at him, pretending to wince now at his shortening of her name she shook her head.
"Oh please if you must shorten my name I would rather you call me Jeon. It is what my family call me when I am at home. Sha sounds awful" she chuckled looking suitably pained by the thought of being called it again.

Mark laughed and gave her a playful push. " Well then that means hat i will get my own nick name that no one else uses which makes me more special. Ok well i think Shay will stich weath you like it or not young lady." He smiled widely at her and what he said. " Besides you dont get to pick your own nick names, they are chosen for you." He looked ahead for a second to see where they were heading then back to Shay

He pushed her playfully and this time she reciprocated by very gently pushing him back.
"You like being special don't you?" she could not help but laugh with him, she couldn't remember the last time having this much fun with any boy.
"Shay?" she repeated it a few times more actually liking the sound of it, it was completely different to her own name or any versions of it she had heard before, "Young lady? now you sound like my father".
She laughed once more glancing down as the left the pavement and crossed some cobbles on the road to the other side.
"So what nicknames have people given you?" she turned herself around so that she was walking backwards along the street but more or less facing her new found friend.

Mark laughed then nodded. " You bet i do. Life is much more fun that way." He chuckled then laughed again at what she said. " Well i am older than you so there for i am allowed to call you little lady. Not to mention you are smaller than me. So there." He smiled then thought for a second. " Well i dont really have one although an ex girl friend of mine used to call me Marky Warky. Thats about it i suppose unless you want to give me one." He gave her a small wink before giggling. " Sorry, im flirting again. Il stop." He smiled and shook his head and rubbed the back of his neck with his hand

Shalamar stopped walking and looked at him indignantly. She was even tempted to place her hands on her hips but refused to do so on the grounds that she was not your typical teenage girl and did not throw tantrums or such like and most especially not in public.
"Just because you are older and taller does not make you smarter" she told him very matter of factly, she had grown another inch at least and up until Mark had spoken a moment ago had been delighted by that. Now she was well aware once more how small she was, of average height really but small compared to many. Though her best friend Artemis was alot smaller, she had good reason being a half goblin. Shalamar had only her genes to blame and she couldn't even blame those properly considering she was about the smallest in her family.

"Marky Warky" she could not help but laugh and when she tried to stop, found that she couldn't. She held her sides from the pain then held up a hand to him to apologize.
"I am so sorry, I should not have laughed at that. I couldn't possibly give you one, I wouldn't know what to call you" he winked again at her but at least this time he apologized for it, Shalamar found though that she didn't mind it so much this time and simply smiled at him before turning around properly once more to start walking again.

"Shí " Shalamar said simply an enigmatic look on her face.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back