Spring Fever

Proserpina Laurent

Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Lignum Vitae Wand 16" Eessence of Dragon's Whisker
Proserpina Laurent was sitting by the lakefront, where one would find this Hufflepuff Prefect more now than anything else. There were times when she spent her time away from classes, just sulking. However she was not about to go into the water anymore. Her mother drowned a long time ago. It was not really that better than her just leaving. Nothing would take her step-mother from her, but it was still devastating to hear. And her twin sister, her older half was gone. She ran off with another boy to follow their dreams or something, and here she was, alone at this school. As friendly and loving as she was, Proserpina found herself without many friends, or any rather. Proserpina instead held out her Prefect badge in her hand, unsure of how she earned such a treasure. Something that she should be sharing with her sister, but her sister did not attend here anymore. That was the worst feeling in the world. She wanted her sister with her, to help her become a good Prefect like Professor Snow wanted or believed her to be. What if she could not? What if she failed at being a prefect because she was just not good at bossing people around and enforcing rules? She was a lover, she believed in loving just about everything, but right now she did not love water at all. It took away her mom, and she could hate it for a lifetime, unless she was showering or something she really needed. That she was going to keep up with anyway. And she was going to be a healer. So she could help other people keep their families. Aurors seem to be a bit too scary for her tastes. They were the police force, only worse. Like the FBI or something like that. She did not think that she was able to do anything to that extreme. She did not have the bravery. Her sister could because she was brave, she was noble. Proserpina was a big softy.

The Hufflepuff listened to the sounds, and she thought that things were just, just wrong right now. She did not know who to talk to about this that would understand where her feelings are coming from. Losing her twin, even if she was not really lost, she was just out in the world, doing what she wanted to do. While Proserpina was going to stick it through and she was going to make sure that she got her own dreams too. She wanted to be able to become a healer, but if her OWLs got bad, then she can kiss her life goodbye. Well, not really, she could always become a doctor or something in the muggle world too. She had options. Her life would not be over if she did not pass the OWLs with the grades that she needed. She just needed a cover when she was older like a GED in America, in order to attend college. Her father would be proud of her no matter what. Sighing, the prefect rested the badge next to her, hoping that no one would come along and snatch it. Well, who would want to steal a badge? Actually, many people. She reached over and she took the badge. She placed it in her lap before she sighed again, using one of her hands to play with the ends of her hair. Today was going to be a really long day.

</COLOR>
<COLOR color="#000">Romaine tossed a ball up into the air and swiftly caught it with a single hand. He knew that he could be doing homework right now, but at the moment, he could honestly care less. He wanted to be outside in the sun, enjoying the day. Most of all, he didn’t want to be stuck doing homework. Romaine was probably looked at as the world’s laziest Prefect or something. In fact, he was probably only promoted due to the fact that he had a good record for staying out of trouble. He did his lessons; he just didn’t throw a big fit over them like a lot of people around here seemed to do. They didn’t enjoy life like they should be doing. Instead, they worried about being the best, or getting perfect grades, or just not failing. They failed to notice the little things in their life. Like how amazing it must be to just wake up and realize that they were allowed another day to life and enjoy the world. "I sound like a hippie." If Romaine had a better idea of what they were, he’d probably become one. He’d become one of those nature-loving hippies who did nothing but appreciate the day and its beauty. It sure beat the hell out of homework and studying for exams. Romaine tossed the ball again and caught it once more. He was excited by the fact that he was going to Graduate this year. That meant he could enjoy the day all he wanted. No more lessons, no more homework, and no more Professors! Sure he’ll have to deal with Theodore a lot more, but most of the time Theodore seemed like he was pretty easy-going. All he needed was a nap and he would be good. Romaine knew that for a fact.

Romaine tossed the ball again, but the breeze decided to troll his little catching game, and blew his ball to the side a little bit. Romaine hadn’t expected it to happen that fast, so the ball dropped past his hand and onto the ground, where it started to roll. "Seriously?!" Screw being a hippie if the earth was going to be such a troll half the time. Romaine frowned and started to chase after the rolling ball. He was already near the lake so he feared it might roll into the water or something. If that happened, he would never get it back. The ball stopped when it came into contact with another body though. To Romaine’s luck, it hit a younger girl sitting right beside the lake. "Hey cane I have my-hey…you’re the boat girl!" He was going to ask for his ball back when he noticed who it was he had hit by accident. It was the girl that got mad at him for wrecking her boat. What a small worked. Romaine walked over to where she was and picked his ball up. He wondered if he should thank her for an obstruction or if that would sound rude. He didn’t want to make her mad again. A couple of years ago he had gotten a taste of what happened when he didn’t watch his words and actions. Most of the time when he saw her around, she looked really nice. But he knew better than to just assume. A lot of his sister’s looked really nice, but they were absolute pure evil when they wanted to be. Especially Kendra. But that was probably just his opinion due to her being his twin sister.​
<i>
</i>

Proserpina kept her hand rubbing the prefect badge, still debating on what in the world Professor Snow was even thinking when she was chosen. She felt something nudge her though. She looked down at her side and she saw a ball there. It had nudged her just slightly, and she raised an eyebrow. Who wanted to play with a ball and then hit her with it? After all, she did not know who would bother with playing with a ball next to a lake. She did not touch the ball, but she did not look around to see who had tossed it. Proserpina put her prefect badge to the side and she picked up the ball with her two skinny hands. She held it for a moment, before she heard a voice that asked if he could have his ball back. Her eyes drifted up and she saw the boy that once destroyed her boat a few years ago. That was not something that she had enjoyed, but since then she had built bigger and better boats. She had even built some model airplanes that she used spells to make them fly. Well, float since they were light and the floating charm from first year could easily have it up and in the air. It was nice that she could entertain herself like that though. She did need something like that since Philippa was no longer around. Proserpina missed her twin, that was older. She missed her dearly and wanted her back in the school with her. She had no one else around her, so she felt so alone. Proserpina was this happy, sunshine child but she did not have any sunshine in her today. She was still beat up from being left. But what could a girl do? She was always distracted now, and nothing can change that.

Proserpina did not even notice that she had been staring up at the Slytherin Prefect, almost in a daze that she shook her head, and she dropped the ball on the ground. "Oh! Sorry. Here is the ball back." Proserpina hoped that she would take it anyway. And he had. Proserpina hoped that she would not receive any sort of yelling by him but she was sure that he would not since he got a pretty good taste of what she seemed like when she was mad. Well, her precious boat was destroyed by him, and now she was unsure of how she would even talk to him. In fact, she even blushed when she thought of something to say to him. He was a seventh year, doomed to graduate. She looked down at the grass before she decided to just go for it. She was friendly, outgoing so what was there to lose? Even if he said no, she would be left alone just like before. It was not like she liked him anyway. She did not even know him much. She offered, "Want to have a seat? A prefect might like the company of another prefect." Proserpina hoped that she would have someone to sit with at least. Maybe he would agree. There was nothing like today, to spend it outside. The sun was shining, it felt awfully nice out, there was no reason to not want to enjoy nature right now with someone else, regardless of a bad meeting. Proserpina gave him a light hearted smile, to see whether or not he would actually sit down and join her. He could sit a ways from her, and they could roll the ball back and forth as they chat. It all depended upon the Slytherin.

Romaine froze. He was trying to test and see whether she was still upset with him for crashing her boat or not. The day that he had crashed her boat he was pretty sure that she was going to beat his skull in. For a little girl she seemed pretty scary. "Actually, all girls are kind of scary. They have the weirdest little mood swings, plus they never make any sense when they talk." At least to Romaine they never made any sense. He remembered all the times he was forced to go with his twin sister Kendra and his older sister Alyssa at the mall. Oh was that torture. Not only did they have to go into every store, but they had to try on freaking everything! Every once and awhile Romaine threw in his opinion to try and speed along the process, and the only thing he got was yelled at for not understanding how fashioned worked. Romaine had been pretty sure that it looked similar to the things they had been gushing about earlier, what did they mean he had no idea about fashion? Since that day Romaine promised himself he would never go shopping with either of them. "You're not mad still about the whole boat thing?" Romaine was kind of confused, but if she was going to beat on him for something he had done in the past, he wouldn't start to complain. He was surprised that he had been given his ball back without her breaking it or throwing it. Perhaps she wasn't an insane psycho freak that his sisters appeared about this sort of stuff. He was pretty sure that if he had broken anything of Kendra's that she would destroy him right then and there. Then again she was his sister, maybe she felt like being mean was okay.

Proserpina then asked if Romaine wanted to take a seat because she would like another Prefect's company. Romaine blinked until he realized what she was talking about. He had forgotten that she was a Prefect now too. "I need to pay more attention to stuff like this." Romaine thought to himself. He missed so much with the way he spaced out all the time. After a moment of thought Romaine nodded his head and figured that joining Proserpina for a little while couldn't hurt. "As long as you don't start hitting me I don't seen an issue with it joining you for a little while." Romaine sat down next to her and sighed. It was a really nice day out, and now he was sitting with a really pretty girl. Romaine was kind of thankful that he had chosen today of all day's to come outside and relax for a little bit. Romaine thought he remembered seeing another girl just like Proserpina around the school and wondered if that was her sister. Then again, he didn't see her around anymore. So maybe he was just seeing things? Or maybe it was her the whole time! "Hey..do you have a sister? Cause I swear I used to see a girl that looked just like you...but wasn't you around all the time." Romaine changed his mind and decided to ask her anyways. The worst that could happen was her getting mad that he had mistaken her for someone else, but she was pretty sure that this girl wasn't her. It would be nice to have some clarification though.

The boy seemed to think that Proserpina was still upset about him crashing the boat. That was a couple of years ago, she was definitely not mad over that anymore. For him to think that was rather entertaining to her. A small laugh, or a giggle actually, escaped from her and now she felt like a total idiot for doing that. Oh well, he was not really one of those that would pick on her or else she would have been a subject of that already. Proserpina shook her head and she smiled, "That was two years ago. I made bigger and better things. Besides, life is too short to stay angry." By that saying there, one could tell that she was definitely an optimist. She looked at the glass half full, and she cared deeply for about everything. She briefly remembered his name from the yearbook. Romaine Snow. He had a twin sister. Kendra? Proserpina noticed that she too had left. Both twins were left alone here in the school. That was one odd coincidence. Proserpina added, "Though I will probably keep all of my carvings away from you now though." That was true. She would not be bringing out her boats or planes out around him. Not after the fact that her boat was destroyed after that. Bringing it up did not make her angry anymore. She was a pacifist. She once wanted to be an Auror and now she was not. Proserpina continued to play with her blonde hair absently, since she was still a little shy about talking with a boy. Normally she was so outgoing, but boys, that was definitely not her thing. That would be Philippa's thing. She probably knew how to talk to boys and hang out with them. Which she definitely did not know how to do. Proserpina would learn one day, but she was not worried.

The Hufflepuff looked down and she gently smiled when Romaine said yes to joining, as long as she did not hit him. She shrugged and reassured him, "I don't hit people. It is too violent for me so you are safe." One of her hands that was playing with her hair then went down to the grass and she started to fiddle with the grass too. She always had to be fiddling with something or else she would have been bored out of her mind. Though when she has asked him to join her, she had thought that he would sit across from her and not beside her. But this would do just fine. Then Romaine asked if she had a sister, one that looked just like her. She turned her head to look at him and sadness could be seen easily. She nodded and answered, "Yeah. Philippa. She was a Gryffindor, and my older twin. She, um, dropped out of school over the break. She dropped out with another Gryffindor named Sidney." Though with the sister thing out and in the open, she decided to question him about his own sister. The one that did not make Prefect, the one that left. "You had a sister too, in Slytherin? Is she still around?" Of course, she could not have mistaken the other Snow for Romaine. He was male, and that one was female. There would be some really bad blood there if she had managed to confuse them both. Or she would really need some strong glasses to see the difference if she mistook Kendra for Romaine.

Romaine liked that. Life was too short to stay angry, which was pretty true. Why waste energy on being angry and upset when one could just forget about it and use their energy for better things in life. "You should trying telling that to my brother, He thrives on anger." Romaine thought of Alyssa and Theodore. They had a lot of anger between them, but it seemed like Theodore was the only one cruel enough to act on it. No one else really wanted Alyssa gone except those closest to Theodore, but everyone was way too scared to try and tell Theodore their opinion on the matter. The ones who did were most often the ones that suffered. Romaine personally loved Alyssa. She was so much like their mother, it felt nice to have a motherly figured. Especially one that looked so much like their mother did before she died. Romaine didn't have much of a father figure either, because he sure as hell wasn't going to look up to Theodore as one. Romaine shrugged at what Proserpina said next. He couldn't blame her for that. Even if he knew they meant something special to her, there was always a chance that his immature side would resurface and that those poor carvings of hers would be doomed. "Sorry to say that you're kind of right about that one. I have poor self control when it comes to not destroying things. It's like avoiding a bowl of candy...pretty damn hard to resist." It might be different for Proserpina because she might not have a sweet tooth like he did, but he hoped she would get the general idea. That it was hard for him to resist causing a little trouble every once and awhile. It would be way too boring if he was like that.

"Are you sure? I've seen plenty of nice girl turn into some scary ass chicks when they get mad!" Romaine didn't know if Proserpina had ever seen Alyssa or if she was too young. Alyssa was usually nice, at least she was nowadays. When she got angry though, she was quite frightening. Kendra could be the same way it seemed. So Romaine had a lot of experience with seemingly nice girls. The problem was, they were usually quite pretty and innocent looking too. So it made it that much easier for people to believe that they were all nice and stuff. "If only they knew..." Romaine thought to himself. When Proserpina mentioned her sister, Romaine frowned. "Your sister dropped out? Is she going to another school or something?" Since she was Proserpina's twin, she seemed like she was a little bit young to be dropping out of school completely. Romaine figured that she would be doing the smart thing and would go to another school so she could at least get her diploma. But she might not share the same mindset at Romaine did. "My sister transferred to Beauxbatons. I'm not sure why she wanted to so badly, but she refused to listen when I tried to talk her out of it." Romaine shrugged. The frown was still on his face as he said this. He didn't know why his sister wanted to transfer so damn bad. He was sure that if she tried to explain it, he still wouldn't understand it either. It was one of those lady things he was pretty sure a man was not supposed to understand.

Proserpina cocked her head to the side ever so slightly. Romaine had a brother? Well, she did not know anything about him, so everything that was coming forth was surprising to her. Proserpina looked down at her hands and she mused, "Maybe I will if I saw him. All that anger is definitely unhealthy." That was what she really thought about anger. A little bit could drive someone, but if it drove someone too much, then it would drive someone too far. It was not something she wanted to see anyone go through. It was a good thing her own sister was not like that. She was thankful to have such a loving family, with or without her birth mother that had her surname. She felt bad for not having her dad's name, but it was the only thing of her mother that she would even remember. That and the fact that she was killed somehow. Not even killed but drowned, which made her terrified of ever going into the water. Proserpina wondered if she should make some things for him to destroy for the rest of the year, what little they had left of it anyway. She brushed some of her blonde hair behind her ear and she shook her head, "Maybe I should make you some things to destroy so it will be out of your system. Although a bowl of candy, really hard to resist. If you find someone walking out of the great hall during the feasts with a bowl of candy, that was me." She adored candy, and often stuffed her face with sweets and goodies as soon as she could get her little hands on them. She wondered if they had that in common, or if it was just one of those metaphors. Although she was still keeping her things from him.

The Hufflepuff prefect shrugged and she said, "I am positive. It is hard to get me mad anyway, but you know the saying of women scorned. I am probably the biggest pacifist you would ever meet." She actually cried in Transfiguration when she had to make an animal vanish. She could not stand it. She had basically killed an animal. Whatever the nothingness was, she just knew, the animals vanished were all simply dead. It seemed like Romaine was experienced in those girls that appeared nice, but turned into huge, scary women. Sometimes it happened, but he had experience with girls. She was girly and could be a tom boy as well. She was a good balance. Proserpina shook her head sadly, "No, I think she dropped out... to join the circus?" She was not sure if Philippa had been joking then or not, but it was definitely not something that she was supportive of. They were just so young! Proserpina just hoped that everything turned out okay. Proserpina heard Romaine's situation, and it sounded just like her own predicament. So eerily similar but Kendra apparently went to Beauxbatons instead. "I'm sorry to hear about that. It seems like both of our twins left us behind here. At least you graduate this year." It even seemed that Romaine was still really upset over Kendra leaving. She was upset too that Philippa left. At least he would be reunited with Kendra soon enough, if they were close. Her on the other hand, not so much. She had this year and two more years. Proserpina sighed and wondered why this had to happen to them.

Romaine shook his head. "I was kidding. My brother has an explosive temper, and I'd be kind of worried that he'd hurt you or something." If he could do horrible things to his own family members when he was angry, then Romaine was scared to think what he would do if it wasn't someone he was related to. Theodore rarely interacted with others for that very reason too. Romaine was under the impression that his brother didn't actually want to hurt anyone, but he felt compelled to so that the others wouldn't walk all over him. Romaine remembered back when Theodore was younger and really quiet. He had a tendency to sleep away his problems. But as he got older, he got more casual and more fun. Romaine was pretty sure his brother even smiled and laughed just like a normal teenager did. It was probably because he way away from the family and that being away from the people who influenced him to be who he was now helped him be a better person. Romaine looked at him now and wished he had the Theodore in Hogwarts back, the one who actually cracked a grin every once and awhile. "Naah don't waste your energy on such a thing....but candy does sound nice. I look forward to it." Then again, he Graduated this year. Did the Graduating class get to have a feast? Romaine couldn't remember if they did or not. If not then he was going to miss out on the candy.

"So you really are a cream puff." Romaine commented on the fluffy nickname that a lot of Hufflepuff's were called by others. Particularly by people like the meaner Slytherin's who had no appreciation for people who actually had a heart. Romaine didn't see anything wrong with being cheerful or happy every once and awhile, but it seemed like there was a lot of people who thought differently about it. Romaine's eyes widened when the Proserpina mentioned that her sister dropped out to join the circus. For starters, that sounded like it was something terribly cliche back in the early 1900's or something, but he had no idea that wizarding folk even knew about the circus. Romaine had to fight back a laugh that wanted to escape him. "She dropped out to join the circus? I know I don't really have the right to judge but um, that seems pretty irresponsible to me. What if she supposed to do for school? True, Graduating this year makes me pretty happy. Sucks that you have a couple more to go." Romaine questioned, not really understanding why someone would want to drop out of school for something like that. Then again, this wasn't him. People lived differently and Romaine was aware of that. It just puzzled him to think that people actually made these decisions.

Proserpina nodded and she looked down. He was kidding, and the thought of someone hitting her honestly made her frightened. "Oh, well in that case, I hope to avoid him then." Proserpina really hoped that she would not meet him. After all, she did not want to meet up with anyone that could hurt her. Proserpina was one of those girls that wanted to avoid people like that at all costs. This boy on the other hand, he seemed like a good guy. She could tell just by looking at him. The prefect smiled and she looked down at the grass once more. He was really good looking too, and no other boys as far as she could tell could compare. She had no idea that he was Part-Veela that made him exceptionally good looking. She did not even know what a Veela was. Romaine told her not to waste her energy on that, and she nodded, knowing that she would not especially if he did not want to. It would take some time out of her life anyway. It seemed like he also had a sweet tooth, same as her. Proserpina grinned at how much they had in common already. "Me too. I am itching for some sweets right about now too." Proserpina looked over at him and she stared into those blue eyes. She thought they were blue anyway. She could not tell but the sun shining made them seem blue to her. Then her mind drifted into thoughts of candy and she almost giggled at the thought.

Proserpina giggled when he called her a cream puff. Proserpina then smirked and teased, "Yes I am and if a big bad Slytherin like you has a problem with it, you can go back to the dungeons." Now that she said that, it almost sounded like she was hitting on him, or flirting. She blushed slightly, and she looked up at the sky for a brief moment. Proserpina shook her head and she shrugged. She had no idea what Philippa was going to do about school, and why she would do something like that. Proserpina shrugged, "That boy Sidney Carver dropped out too, and they were close friends, so no telling what they plan on doing. I really wish I knew. Well, as soon as I graduate, I am going to become a healer. I really can't wait." The subject had gotten awfully sad, so it was up to her to make sure that it did not happen again! Proserpina hopped onto her feet, and she made sure that her prefect badge was pinned to her chest. She held out her hand, grabbed Romaine's and helped him onto his feet. She smiled, "The subject got grim, so let's go to the kitchens and get some cookies and brownies! You have a sweet tooth, so we can go make some ourselves, or convince the elves to do it!" She tugged him along by his hand, wanting to get to the sweets as soon as possible. She was happy though, she was convinced that she had made a friend in him (unknowingly would attend the Yule Ball with him in the near future).

Fin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back