Sophia Stark

Sophia Stark

OOC First Name
Kaela
Sophia walked swiftly into the Library and made her way to an empty table, quite away from anyone else. Removing her messenger bag from her torso she set it on the table and sat down in the chair. She opened her bag and began to root through it, extracting some notes, blank parchment, ink, quill, and a few books. Opening up the books and arranging them around herself Sophia took up her quill and began writing in her quick, small script, her golden eyes moving between the parchment, her notes, and her books.

Having just come from sending a letter to her mother, Sophia desperately needed to get her mind off of things. She only hoped that studying would do the trick, but so far her mind was still clouded with a jumble of obscure thoughts and mixed emotions. Her quill stopped moving and she let out a small sigh, quickly resuming her writing.

Courtney made her way down to the library in a rather cranky mood. It was becoming much too hard to study in the Ravenclaw common room with all of the first years who were far too loud. She noticed Sophia sitting at a table away from all of the other students and immediately shook her head and laughed a little inside.

She quickly made her way over to the table and sat down next to Sophia, placing her feet on a chair opposite of her and leaning back in the chair she was sitting in. "Ahh," Courtney sighed. "Sophia! Long time no chat! How have things been?"

Sophia was putting so much energy into her studying and blocking out her thoughts that she did not notice Courtney sit beside her. The sound of Courtney's voice was a bit startling, and Sophia jumped slightly, quickly sitting up straight and turning to face Courtney.

"Hello Courtney. It has been a while." Sophia felt slightly bad that it had been so long. She had been so preoccupied lately she had not been speaking with hardly anyone. "Things have been better," she said truthfully. "And you?"

Courtney sat up straight and gave Sophia a half smile. "Same. Care to spill? I've been told I have a great listening ear. Okay, well, that isn't true, but I'd be more than happy to listen."

As she waited for Sophia's answer, Courtney opened her book bag and pulled out the Arithmancy textbook. She was hoping to at least get a start on the homework for this week.

Sophia averted her eyes from Courtney and turned to look at her notes. She had not really been talking to many people lately, and had not mentioned Bruin to anyone. Trying to explain why she was upset would not be easy, and would come with a good number of questions.

Upon looking up at her messenger bag Sophia spotted the letters from her parents, immediately reaching out and grabbing them. Courtney would certainly not accept that nothing was wrong, especially after how Sophia had replied. She looked back up at Courtney and handed her the letters with a solemn face. "I think these may help explain."

Dear Sophia,

My daughter, I cannot express to you how terribly sorry I am for the way things have played out.  The last thing i want is to see you hurt, and it is absolutely excruciating not knowing how you are.  I have just settled in to a new apartment in New Zealand, so I am quite close to you now.  I will let you do as you will for your Winter Break, but I do hope that you will stay with me for the summer.  I am, after all, your father, and I would like it if you would stay with me.  As upstanding as I am sure this Bruin Dumbledez is, he is not your family.

I am giving you some time to think this over and get used to the idea.  But, I would very, very much appreciate you staying with me.  Feel free to write to me, whenever.

Your father,
Sammael Stark

My Darling Sophia,

I know I have been terrible about contacting you, so I will cut to the chase.  I miss you.  I apologize for my lack of communication, I figured you already had enough on your mind.  I am sure by now your father has spoken with you, and has probably thrown a number of lies at you.  Your father is not a trustworthy man, be careful what you say to him and what you choose to believe.

It has been awful not speaking with you.  I really do miss you dearly.  No doubt your father has already contacted you about the summer.  However, I was wondering if you might like to spend your Winter Break with me.  I can understand completely if you hesitate to trust me, and I would not blame you for saying no.  However, I simply had to extend the invitation to my only daughter.  You may even bring a friend or two with you if you would like.

Well, that is really all I have to say for now.  I look forwrd to hearing back from you.

Love,
Your Mother

Courtney took the letters that Sophia had handed her. She was a bit surprised that Sophia trusted her enough to let her read them, but happy at the same time. She frowned after reading both letters, feeling quite sorry that Sophia had to deal with all of this family stress that Courtney didn't even know existed. She remembered going to Sophia's house last year, but the details surrounding the events were never explained to her.

She handed the letters back to Sophia. Courtney was tempted to lean in and give her a hug, but decided against it, as she didn't want to freak Sophia out. "Have you thought about what you are going to do for the two breaks?" Courtney asked, purposely not mentioning the piece about Bruin. She didn't want to seem too nosey.

"Well, I would like to go stay with my mother, hear her side of the story and such." Sophia decided to simply act as if she had never asked Bruin to stay with her. "I am a bit worried about going alone, but I really do not know what else to do. And I believe I will have to go with my father for the summer. It is not as if I have any other options of places to stay, unless my mother offers me to stay with her." It seemed as if Sophia had thought long and hard about the letters and what she was going to do. She looked a bit more weary than was normal for her, and there were the beginnings of dark circles beneath her eyes.

Courtney sighed, she didn't like seeing Sophia so distraught. What can I do to help? "It would probably be best if you went to your mom's place for winter break, you know, to get rid of the extra school stress. I mean, I'd offer to come along, but I'm not too sure any of your parents would appreciate me being there. As for summer break, you could always stay at Hogwarts. I usually do, it's quite nice actually, serene. And if you don't want to stay here, you could always shack with a friend for the summer." Courtney wasn't entirely sure if she was being helpful, but she was trying.

"My mother was not present when you came to Stark Manor. She has no idea who you are. I am not even sure if she knows what happened. But I would understand if you did not want to come." Sophia sighed slightly but spoke again before Courtney could begin.

"As for the summer, I am not certain staying here would be best. From my father's words I gather he is not going to let me run away from him. I think I should just go with him. He works for the Ministry, I am sure he is not daft enough to do anything that would harm me or the like."

Courtney looked down at the floor and frowned for a short moment, she hoped she hadn't offended Sophia at all, for she did not intend to. She looked back up at Sophia with a grin, hoping to lighten the mood. "Hey, Sophia, honestly, I didn't mean to make it seem like I didn't want to hang out with you over the holidays. I just didn't want to impose.

"I shouldn't have been so quick to judge your parents from that one instance, they're probably good people. I mean, staying with your father could be fun, right?"

Sophia was quite surprised by Courtney's response, and despite her best efforts a bit of that came through in her expression. "I do not know about fun, but I am sure it will not be completely awful." Most often Sophia had to defend her parents as others thought that they were evil, but Courtney was thinking the complete opposite. It was very odd.

Courtney had to hold in a giggle at the sight of Sophia's expression. "Can't be any worse than what I have to go home to, if I end up going home for the holidays. I'm from the East coast of Canada, so there isn't much to do." Courtney was glad that she bumped into Sophia at the library. She believed that the conversations they had have been causing them to be closer as friends.

"Canada?" Sophia inquired curiously. She had nearly said something about having been to Canada, but decided not to just yet. "Well, I could not say if there is much to do as I am not sure where I would be staying for the summer. In the letter it says my father has an apartment in New Zealand, but I am not entirely sure that he would keep me there."

"Yeah, I hail from Canada, eh." Courtney replied in a funny false accent.

"That's pretty neat that your dad has a place in New Zealand. It will probably make it easy for you to keep in touch. I think it'd be awesome if he let you stay there, you'd have a chance to explore the New Zealand that exists outside of Hogwarts!" Courtney added with a bit too much enthousiasm.

Sophia listened to Courtney's accent with as blank an expression as she could muster. She wanted to laugh, but successfully held it in. However when Courtney began speaking about Sophia's father, Sophia no longer wanted to laugh.

"Assuming I wish to stay in touch," Sophia said without even thinking. When she realized she had said it it was too late and she decided not to fret over it. "But as I said, I am not sure he would keep me in New Zealand. Nor do I think that I would be allowed to explore New Zealand if I did stay with him here."

Courtney nodded at Sophia as she answered. She was a little bit confused over Sophia's answers about her father, but decided not to continue on with that topic. "Summer is a still quite far away, I'm sure you'll have everything sorted out by then."

Courtney heard a first year student mention the word 'dress' from the other side of the library. Immediately the Yule Ball came to mind. "So, are you going to the Yule Ball?"

Sophia's expression hardened when Courtney asked about the Yule Ball. "No," she replied curtly. She soon realized jut how harsh she had been and softened her appearance. "I suppose you are?"

"No?" Courtney questioned, a little surprised. "I am, but I don't have a date or anything. Why don't you want to go? I think it should be fun." After she finished speaking, Courtney gave Sophia an exaggerated grin.

Sophia did want to go, but she did not want to go alone. She decided it was better not to let anyone know her true desires, and instead continued to look angry.

"Fun? Perhaps to you. Nothing about it seems fun to me."

Uh oh, Courtney thought as she noticed Sophia's expression. I hope I haven't said anything wrong. Courtney continued to smile, as she did not want to make the environment even more tense than it already was. "I don't know, I mean, it could be. I just see it as a place to spend some time socializing with friends before the winter break. Plus, there will probably be some sort of food."

"There are plenty of places to get food that are not an insipid ball," Sophia snapped. She was a mite bitter about the whole Yule Ball thing. Who would Sophia possibly socialize with? Bruin was going home early. Ford had Kaela. Courtney would probably be with Ford and Kaela. Kale had Estrella, and Blake had Lily. What was it about Ravenclaw girls?

The truth was that Sophia really had wanted to go to the Yule Ball. She had not gotten to go last year because of her parents, and was looking forward to seeing what it was all about. She had even decorated for the Yule Ball last year, as part of her punishment from last Halloween. But instead of being sad, she was angry, and taking it out on everyone around her.

Courtney's eyes widenend at Sophia's remark, and she was quite frightened by it. Courtney turned her attention to her Arithmancy textbook and opened it up to a random page. While pretending to read, she replied, "Okay, sorry, you're right. Madam Puddifoot does serve decent food."

Sophia watched Courtney with a blank face, wanting very badly to frown. She let out an exaggerated sigh and went back to her book and such. If she could not fix things, she could at least get something productive done.

Courtney heard Sophia's sigh and glanced over at her quickly before staring at her textbook once again. Courtney didn't know why, but she found the entire situation quite funny. She tried to hold in her laughter, but could not, and made some rather strange noises in the process.

Sophia shot an incredulous look to Courtney when she heard the awkward noises coming from her. With a huff she quickly shoved her things into her bag. "I have to go," she said curtly and stood, hastily draping her messenger bag over her right shoulder and across her torso and swiftly heading toward the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back