OOC First Name
Mia
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Ngawaiata
It was snowing. the best kind of weather of all. it was earlyish in the morning the sun was still rising the golden light making the whole world sparkle. She dressed in a skirt and and a crop top her coat on over the top but not fastened up. she loved the cold. and it would be a waste to banish it to beyond a coat. she reached the steps to the castle and took her viola out of its case. and walked her way to the middle of the lawn. by the time she was there she already had a song forming in her head. she took a deep breath and ran the bow over the strings. the first night shattering the quiet into a crystaline mix of colours. which each sparkled as she played. she let the song consume her and began to move in time to it, in time to the world,

Brevity didn't think the grounds of this school were all that interesting. She didn't like that she couldn't actually leave. Not even just on weekends. Only select weekends, which seemed like an oversight. The teen had come outside. It was snowing, and with nothing else to do because this school literally was the worst thing ever, she'd gone outside. She'd dressed for the weather since she had no one to impress, and it wasn't smart to dress badly when it was cold.

Brevity heard music when she stepped outside, a violin probably, playing by someone who was a good playing. Brevity approached the noise, partly a little curious, and then eventually found the girl. Someone her age was playing the violin in the middle of this lawn and was not dressed for it at all. ”What the f2ck are you doing?” she called out sharply, letting her sharp voice go above the nice noise she was making.

Sky was lost in her own world. conjuring up landscapes in her minds eye with notes pressed on a fingerboard. she spun and played. the grounds were quiet like it was only her in the whole world. at least it was until she heard a voice split through the air like a black dagger slash through reality ending in a clash of notes. as she stopped playing. she didn't want to answer the question. she didn't want to leave her world. but the slash cutting through was causing itto crumple around her into a thousand small flakes. "Enjoying the snow." she said continuing to sway a little to the music in her head.

Brevity was glad that her voice cut through the music, and got the girl to stop. It had been nice music, it was clear this girl was talented, but she was dressed for like…autumn, not snow, not winter. ”Okay, and do you like frostbite?” she added sharply, ”You know the skin injury that occurs when exposed to extreme low temperatures, which can lead to a loss of limbs,” she told her. ”You'd lose those fingers and never be able to play again/“ she didn't know why she cared about how dressed this girl was for snow. It just seemed like she was probably a little dumb and didn't realize how dangerous snow could be. Clearly this school was teaching her nothing.

Sky smiled when the girl asked if she would like to get frostbite. "Oh it isn't anywhere near cold enough for that. ts only just below freezing which is almost warm compared to winter at home. and I am moving and won't be out for that long" she said emphasising the word that. she spun around she loved the freedom of the snow how it made her feel like she was home. the quiet it brought and the harmony it provided. "its more fun than it looks and really warms you up" she said. she realised the girl had an accent but wasn't sure where it came from. but she was fairly sure she was older than a first year and not someone she had seen before. "I don't think we met before, I'm Niamh though most people call me Sky" she said. introducing herself both by the actual name she used and by her nickname.

OOCOut of Character:
I had this picture up as inspiration. but forgot to link it to the first post

Brevity rolled her eyes a little at the girl, thinking that it didn't really matter how cold home was, she wasn't at home. The girl was weird, spinning in the snow, but Brevity didn't hate it. "Oh I bet," she said in a disbelieving tone. She was sure some movement warmed her up but it was still cold, and though she had a thick jacket that would not be enough. The girl introduced herself, Sky, "Why do they call you that?" she asked, curious about this girl and her two names. "I'm brevity, we won't have met, I just got here, and it sucks,"

Sky shrugged slightly as the girl said she bettered that it was warmer dancing in the snow. ”up to you. You do you” she said swaying to one side. When asked why people called her sky she shrugged again. it’s the name I picked. I feel more like a cloud or a sky than a niamh she said pronouncing sky like the Norwegian word for cloud. That was a think she liked about the name. It was a word in both of her languages. It meant slightly different but was close. it’s nice to meet you brevity. Welcome to hogwarts. What do you find sucks? The grounds are quite beautiful. And if snow isn’t your thing. Just wait until summer. The gardens put on quite a show then she said. Gesturing towards the gardens which were currently tucked in to sleep under a soft blanket of snow.

Brevity shrugged in response, she agreed with the sentiment, that everyone should just do what they wanted to. She would’ve opted to not be at school, but not being 17 yet meant she did not have the control that she desired. Brevity considered what the girl said about her name, and thought it wasn’t too bad. She had never picked a new name, despite thinking that it would probably be a good idea given that her name was Brevity. ”Oh sure, the grounds are like any outdoor space in this country, like any garden in summer, I imagine, perfectly nice to look at but doesn’t make having to spend time at a school worthwhile,” she retorted. The grounds could’ve had pots of gold galleons for all it changed abut how she felt about being there. ”Are the gardens the only thing you like about school?”

Niamh didnt want to get into an argument. she wasn't the kind of person who usually got into arguments, except with gwen but she was a special case. "oh, but the magic helps the plants grow bigger and more lush and flower out of season," she said her fingers itching to put the viola under her chin again and start to play. "of course not. I like my friends and dorm mates, and the art room. there are other things too depending on what you like, the library has one of the biggest collections of magical books in the southern hemisphere. and quidditch" she said feeling weird listing off the attributes of the school. especially the library. a place that she probably should spend more time in than she did.

Brevity rolled her eyes a little but knew the girl, Sky, was right about it. Instead of saying anything about it though, Brevity just let her speak. She had more things that she liked to do, and Brevity almost felt a little bad for pestering her, she didn't even list the subjects. ”Don't you think it's a little…exclusionary that the best collection of novels in the Southern Hemisphere is at a school, where only some can come read them?” Brevity asked. She knew most magical people probably went to this school, but what of the adults, of the researchers, anyone who wanted to learn about a subject just couldn't. ”Shouldn't the best library be free and accessible for all?”

Sky was slightly confused at the girls response. "not novels, magic books, books about magic. and where else would it be, hosgwarts is one of the biggest magic schools in the southern hemisphere" she said. she knew there was a large school in brazil, and a smaller one somewhere in Africa but like most things the northern hemisphere was where most of the schools were. "aren't most of the biggest and best libraries attached to schools?" she said. not sure what she was debating this. It didn't make much difference where libraries were. it was snowing and she was getting cold standing chatting. she pulled her coat around her a little bit not fastening it but holding it closer. focusing on the music like snow crystals in her head.

Brevity shrugged, "If they are, then isn't that a problem," she countered since it didn't disprove her point in the slightest but instead seemed to hhelp her make it. Books were locked away, inaccessible unless the person was a student. Had she not been a student then she would not have had access. There would be others who just never got access. "Sure a school has the space to have the books, but we shouldn't be putting books, knowledge behind doors not everyone can open," Brevity shrugged. "But I guess that's school's whole thing, thinking it is the guardian and dictator of all knowledge,"

sky shrugged. "Isnt't this a conversation better had with one of the librarians, or maybe a Ravenclaw? not a girl playing viola to the snow and dancing in the cold" she said. if this girl wanted an argument or a debate she was not the right person to be having it. it wasn't that she didn't care about books and knowledge, her dad was a university lecturer and she had spent enough time at the university of Tromsø in their library doing homework when she had been young to appreciate a good library. she could have pointed out who would fund a public library. Someone had to buy the books and staff them. usually, if it wasn't a school or institution it was a government. But she didn't say anything. she didn't like debates and arguments. and this conversation was getting too close to being an argument. She had always been the kind of person to live in the moment and experience every aspect of here and now. not like some of her friends who liked thinking about big life questions. they were like heavy weights holding her down. she shivered. standing still had caused her to start to get cold. the cold seeping through to her socks. "I'm going to keep dancing before i get cold. you can join if you want, but there is no obligation if you don't want to" she said lifting her instrument to her chin and playing the first notes of the song in her head. slightly heavier than before as the weight of the conversation was already weighing her thoughts down.

Brevity rolled her eyes at the girl, noting that she perhaps wasn't as talkative or willing to discuss things as Brevity might've wanted. "You were the one who brought it up," Brevity replied. She would've liked the girl more if she had just been part of the discussion, if she had offered more but it seemed it was intellectual conversation too much for this girl. She watched the girl just get back to playing and dancing about in the snow. Brevity just watched her, didn't move, it wasn't like she had anything else important to do, this school was boring, so she could just watch this girl dancing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back