Six feet under the stars

Alex Cullen

Wand
Rowan Wood 12"1/4 Essence of Silver Thistle
Alex sighed as he pulled off his tie. God, he hated apparating. Not too mention how much concentration it took to send his car here with him too. But well, he was here now. Back in his home country. He shivered. It was freezing. He leant round the front seat, grabbing his hoodie from the back and pulling it on. Shivering once more, he shook his head and placed his sunglasses on.
His hands rested on the wheel casually as he looked at his surroundings more closely. It seemed familiar to him but it didn't matter. He had business to do and he would do it. Now, where was the blooming map! Leaning over to the glove compartment, he hunted before finally finding it in a crumpled mess at the back. Well, it was obvious how much he used it that was for sure.
Here he was in , and was away over there. An hour's drive-for muggles. Nah, simple work for him in his Porsche. Sighing once more, a habit he now had from his lack of company in Jamaica, he glanced in the mirror and saw no one coming. His foot gently applied some weight onto the accelerator as he moved the gear into 4. Still no one was coming. He stepped down on the pedal and the car sprinted forward, growing faster every minute on the road. And if he was lucky, he'd get to the outskirts of London before rush hour (12.00).
Seeing a phone box in the next town, he stopped abrubtly, parked the car next to it and popped out. Dialing in Kiera's number, he leant against the door, hoping it was her who picked up and not his husband. He did not need his arrogance right now. He sighed as she did. It would be quick.
'Kiera. Be ready in 30 minutes. Don't ask. You'll find out. See you then and if you don't..then, you'll know something happen to me. Joking, joking. See you at 12-30. Don't be late!' he smiled, not even bothering to listen to her reply. He placed the phone back on the hook before slipping into his racer-style seat.
He smiled to himself, not a big one, just a content one as he drove along, swerving round the cars. He had missed driving so much, but he would still only use it when necessary. Just to see if he was still alive; a test if you wish.

Kiera quickly got out of the shower, hearing the phone ring out in the bedroom. "Shoot." she muttered as she wrapped a towel around her. James was out for a while at his Quidditch practice and she was left alone. Kiera was a bit surprised when she finally picked up the phone in James' appartment and heard the sound of Alex's voice. He didn't give her much chance to say anything but told her to be ready in thirty minutes. Kiera was extremely curious as to what was going on. She agreed before hanging up the phone. Quickly, she went and put on a suitable outfit for the chilly weather outside today.

Kiera scribbled a note to her husband, telling him where she was before leaving the appartment. She was sitting on the steps at exactly 12:30, waiting for her ex-boyfriend to arrive.

Alex had turned on the radio while he was driving through the city's weird traffic roads. He had never drove through London before nor would he like to again. Luckily though, he had managed to catch the signs in time pointing him to the area where James's apartment was. Almost missing the turn, he swung the wheel round and put on the breaks halfway up the street, seeing Kiera on the steps. He smiled.
She looked as nice as ever, but he knew he couldn't do anything. No, this was a friendly visit and he knew he was ready for it, even though it still hurt. Turning the radio off, he cut off the engine to his car. Yet, he still didn't bother moving. No, he would stay, parked up on the kerb to see what Kiera would think of doing. He was so glad for the tinted windows. She wouldn't know it was him. And you know why? Because he had gone and sold the private number plates in return for the ordinary ones.
What can you say? He felt uncomfortable with people looking at him as if he had pots of money. Which he didn't. He looked at Kiera agin before leaning over and opening the passenger's door. He smirked. As if he was daring her to get into the car with a stranger. Which he probably looked like now. His skin was tanned, his brown hair was cropped to about 3cm and spiked up at the top in a messy style and his athletic build was much more prominent due to his intensive training he was doing.

Kiera was waiting patiently when she saw a car almost the same as Alex's pull up. It looked different though, a different licese plate and much darker windows. The car sat there for a few moments before the passenger side door opened. Kiera looked curiously at the car, wondering if that was really Alex inside. Finally, she got up and went to the car, getting in. "Alex?" she asked curiously. The boy looked very very different that the boy she knew.

Alex noticed Kiera finally get up and had to bit down a laugh. She looked wary at the car. Yep, she definitely wouldn't recognize the car he got from her. Deciding to play a trick on her, he smirked at her. He put on a cockney London accent, sounding very much like a different person.
'Don't you know it's bad to get in a car with strangers.' he told her off, tutting for a sec before locking the doors. he smirked before turning on the engine and stepping on the gas. His wheels spun as he set off down the street, heading to somewhere he knew she would love. He heard it was the same from his mates in the winter break. If they were pulling his leg, he would kill them. But he had a back-up plan. So he wasn't too worried. Once they were on the circle road out of London, he laughed.
He smiled widely, looking at Kiera, one hand leaning, barely, on the wheel only. He pushed his sunglasses up so they were on top of his head as he looked over Kiera. 'How you doing?' he asked her, before looking back onto the road. Clouds now covered the sun so it was a dim grey light in the sky, the colour reflected onto his eyes.

Kiera was in the car before she ever heard the guy she assumed was Alex speak. She did a double take as she heard a funny English accent before realizing it was just Alex and another one of his tricks. Kiera grinned brightly, realizing how nice it was that somethings never changed. "You know I never did learn that lesson." she said mockingly before laughing. A thrill ran through Kiera as Alex stomped on the gas petal, causing the tires to spin. She should have known better than to get him a car that could help him be reckless. She wasn't going to think about that now. Kiera was just going to have fun.

Kiera turned to look at Alex. He looked different but in a good way. "You look handsome." she said, without thinking. A blush rose to her cheeks as she realized she shouldn't have said that outloud. "I mean, I'm doing well. Mostly just training everyday except this weekend. I had this weekend off." she said with a smile. "How are you doing?" she inquired.

Alex burst out laughing as Kiera told him he was handsome. Lately, he hadn't really cared much on looks. He only had the one mirror he rarely used in his house, mostly because he wasn't going anywhere half the time but for runs. He glanced over, notice a blush had crept onto her cheeks.
'Hmm, don't you have a husband? I mean, 'ccording to all those books, you're only meant to find one man handsome,' he playfully retorted, though he was glad of the compliment. He supposed it probably helped him keep up his ego like it was before he left school. He shook his head slightly as she said she had been training every day.
'Don't push yourself. I don't want to pulling a muscle right before the day.' He glanced over before adding, 'I'm being serious Kiera. You better take more days off than that.' His friend was going to get herself an injury and her dreams would be going down the drain once more.
He smiled as she asked him how he was. 'I'm great. I got in Kiera. Olympic sprinter, running for Jamaica. Though unlike you, I'm taking it easy. I took the week off.' he taunted her, back to how they were before all the mess started. And he was glad of that. A brain was so much easier to follow then the heart.
His eyes spotted the sign he was meant to follow coming up, and he placed the indicator on, a low beeping sound echoing in the car. 'Hey, you know Caysi's getting married, right?' he told her, as the car turned off the ring road. High rise flats started appearing round them and the look of poverty clear in the area. But he was only passing through here. He would never make Kiera come to area like this ever, an area like his old homes. She was too shielded to even survive an hour here at most.

Yes, Kiera did have a husband, only Alex wasn't supposed to know that yet. The big, official wedding was a month and a half away. Very few people knew the couple had been secretly married six months prior. Kiera smiled slyly at Alex, pleased that he could joke with her once again. Maybe, just maybe, she would get to keep her best friend. "Yes, well he isn't my husband quite yet. So I suppose I get to find you handsome for another month and a half." she teased him back. "Anyways, I figured you were keeping up with your looks for that girl I saw you with at graduation." Kiera said, raising her eyebrows at him.

Kiera sighed as he started tell her she needed to not push herself and be careful. It was wasted breath on her. Didn't he know her at all by now? It was her dream, one she had been training for since she was three. She had missed a whole year because of school and now there was a lot of catching up. Kiera thought it was sweet for him to still care about her but completely unnessacary. "I took the weekend off didn't I?" Kiera retorted back to him. "Besides, I have to train hard. I'm behind because of school and I only have so much time to catch up." she said with a familiar dertermined look in her eyes.

Kiera's eyes widened as Alex said he was a sprinter for Jamaica now. She assumed he was living there now since he was running for their country. She was pleased for him and it was obvious in her face. "Congrats! Wow! That's awesome." she said excitedly. "I guess I will be seeing you at the Olympics." Kiera told him with a grin. As talk turned to Caysi's wedding, Kiera laughed. "Course I know. Who do you think the maid of honor is?" she said, teasing him. Caysi had been her best friend since first year. Things weren't likely to change anytime soon. "Oh and I am planning her an engagement party for September. I expect to see you there mister." she said sternly.

Alex smiled as Kiera said she didn't have one yet. Well, he wouldn't spill her sercret if she obviously didn't want him knowing that she was already married. He frowned as she talked about Moko.
'Kiera. Please. Don't bother talking about other stuff tis now. Besides, Moko hates me now. I was a flipping jerk again,' he replied, the speed of the car increasing slightly so that they were now 10mi/hr over the limit.
He gave a look of disapproval as she started saying she took the weekend off. No, he would not waste his breath over her compulsive disorder of training. If she wanted to risk ruining her dream, he would let her. He had warned and now he would let her do things her own way. 'Yes, but don't expect any favours then. We are rivals there after all,' he taunted her, obviously not meaning any of it. He was just stating a fact in a playful manner.
He laughed as Kiera told him who the maid of honour was. 'Hmm, well guess who the usher is?' he joked back to her, a big smile on his face. Before he realised something. 'She never told me about that at dinner. Nor did Jason.' he whined, like a five year old child getting told there wa no chocolate.
He looked back onto the road. They were nearly out the area so that meant there'd be a right... 'Gotcha,' he announced, his hand turning the wheel so the car spun round onto a side street, a sharp right turn.
He tuted as he saw someone smashing a bottle against the wall before shaking his head in hidden shame. That used to be him when he was 8. He felt slightly annoyed at himself now, but he kept it well hidden, as the high buildings set the car into their waking darkness.

Kiera noticed the frown on Alex's face. She wished to know what exactly had happened but she didn't want him to think that she was prying into his life if he didn't want her to know. So instead, she put a big smile on her face. "You be a jerk? Ridiculous." she teased him, laughing out loud.
Kiera could see the disapproving look in his face that he seemed to get whenever she talked about training or Quidditch. It amused her to see that somethings never seemed to change. "Technically, we aren't real rivals since I will be doing gymnastics and you will be running." she pointed out. She knew that she would still support him even if he was running for Jamaica.
Alex did catch her offguard when he said that he was going to be an usher. Kiera hadn't know that Caysi and Alex were so close. It was a relief that they were no longer at odds with each other since the fates kept throwing them together. Kiera suddenly frowned. "Wait? What? You got to meet Jason?" she asked, her voice full of envy. "Now I will have to demand to Sham that I met him."

Alex ignored the teasing he got from her about being a jerk. It was true and even she knew first hand at how stupid he handle situations, always running away from them like some cowardly idiot, which was exactly what it was. He tried to push the negative thoughts away from his brain but they still nagged him at the back of his mind, determined to ruin his day yet again.
He smiled softly as she said they weren't technically rivals. Clearly she hadn't heard of the overall gold medals earned. The country with the most was seemingly better at sports than anyone else. But he decided not to point that out and concentrate on the road for once since he got in the car today. Both his hands were on the wheel as he leaned forward trying to see where the turn off for this place was. He knew it was some where near.
Turning the car carefully down another alley, the car was suddenly enclosed in darkness. He switched the lights on with a flick of a button and sat back, a smug smile on his face. Nope, he wasn't going to tell Kiera they were in a tunnel under the city nor was he going to tell her where they were going. He'd make her wait the whole way before giving in. But it free riding from here. Simply follow the main tunnel. How wrong could it get?
Alex turned to Kiera, yet again, one hand only on the steering wheel once more. He laughed as she whined exactly like him before. 'Sham? Now how did Case get called that?' he asked the amusement filling his voice. 'At least my nickname has a good reason for it.' Just to add to the mocking. 'Besides, you'll meet him at the party no one told me about,' he told her, turning away in a huff on that fact. He was only play acting and his straight face did not last, breaking into a grin before long. 'Wait till Case hears about us arguing over who knows what in her life. We're like two old grannies,' he stated, in between laughs.

Kiera looked curiously out the window as they turned down another street. She wondered where they could be going as suddenly it got darker. They appeared to be underground. Kiera glanced at Alex with wonder. Where was he taking her? She had never been a patient one and he knew that. "Where are we?" she asked, interested. "Where are you taking me?" she asked suspiciously. Maybe she should have told James she would be gone longer than a few hours.
As Kiera saw Alex smiling, she couldn't help but smile. Things were getting better between them. They were both at fault for the destruction of their relationship, Kiera taking most of the blame. But finally, maybe everything was okay. Maybe Alex would still be her best friend like she desperately wanted. Kiera couldn't help but grin back at him as he joked with her. He was right naturally, their arguing was pointless.
Kiera laughed. "Oh she got that nickname back in our first year. Caysi is Irish so I called her Sham, like Shamrock. Caysi called me Peachy because I'm from Georgia. She's been my best friend ever since." she said, laughing at how silly the story was now.

Alex glanced his eyes over to where Kiera was sitting. He could tell she was getting a little impatient already by her actions and he could only smirk. 'Wouldn't you like to know,' the words licked with playful teasing. His speed was starting to slow down again since they were in the tunnel and they were now only travelling at about 60 miles/hour now.
He laughed at the logic of the nickname. It was still pretty ridiculous to be honest. Though he wasn't quite sure on Peaches. That bit didn't make so much sense to him. 'Hmm, Peaches? How is that related to Georgia?' he asked curiously before frowning. That had been what? Five minutes down here now.
'I would hold on if I were you,' he warned her quickly before flicking the headlights on. He squinted against the sudden brightness before his eyes quickly adjusted. A grin spread on his face as he saw the small dent in the wall. Perfect. The guys had been right. The metres between the him and the dents closed up in a matter of seconds.
There was sudden noise from the tyres as the car spun round in a 180 degree spin and was now in the dent in the wall. 'Neat, huh?' he asked, proud that he was still able to perform the move from the days before. He turned off the engine and took the keys out of the slot. 'Come on' he told her, slipping out the car and closing the door softly behind her. He reached for the boot and pulled out a rucksack before slinging it over his shoulder. Now just up the drainpipe, wasn't it?

Kiera just had to laugh at Alex and shake her head. She knew better than to think he would reveal where he was taking her. Only, she still wanted to know. She grabbed the handhold in the car as Alex drove in a manner than both thrilled and frightened her. A grin spread across her face as he stopped the car. "Oh well, the state fruit is a Peach. Haven't you ever heard the saying Georgia Peach?" she asked him in wonder. It seemed common to her than someone would know that girls raised in Georgia were typically called Georgia Peaches.

Kiera climbed out of the car, looking at where they were. She was still pretty confused as to where they were. She murmured agreement to him as he asked her if it was neat. She had to admitt it was pretty cool down here. Kiera turned to Alex, a curious gaze in her chocolate eyes. "Come on where?" she asked him in wonder.

Alex shook his head, a confused look on his face. He hadn't seen a single peach whilst there, or even heard of that saying. Wow, he needed to get to America quick and start to explore. He scratched the back of his head, wondering if he actually wanted to go to America. There had been reasons he hadn't done it years ago but did that still count.
'Doesn't that not become an insultment, getting called a state fruit though?' he asked as he walked round to her side. He took her hand and started to pull her playfully across the tunnel and down a bit more. Looking up, he found the dark hole looming up. The first rung began 3 metres above their heads and Alex almost swore. Obviously they had been cut off by the hotel's security.
He took a deep breath beore turning to her. 'Just up there. You wanna go first or shall I?' he asked before shaking his head. He wouldn't risk her getting caught first if there was extra security now. Though he hardly doubted they would have it.
Adjusting the bag pack, he bent low before jumping up and catching the first rung with his hands. He pulled himself up, bit his lip in concentration at the slippery of the grime on the rung. Finally, he was up though and had climbed a few more. Turning back down for Kiera, he took a leg and transferred it to the other wall, balancing by the equal weight. 'Grab a hand and try and swing yourself past the first one. It's filthy' he warned her, holding his hands down for her as far as they would go. He couldn't wait to see her reaction to the view outside the drainage pipe.

7-J-BEL+AIR+HOTEL-Pond-L.jpg

Kiera shook her head at his question. She had never thought of that. To her, it was just an endearing term used for pretty girls. "I never thought about it like that. I never minded it." she said shrugging her shoulders. Kiera grinned as Alex took her hand and pulled her through the tunnel. She laughed as they ran in the darkness. As Alex swore, she looked up to see a ladder above her head. She was about to tell Alex she didn't mind going first when he jumped up. Kiera bit her lip as she prayed he wouldn't fall. He was fine though, her worries were useless as usual. "Okay. No problem." she agreed as she looked up at his hand. Kiera leapt into the air, easily catching his hand and then swinging right up to the next rung. She was a gymnast after all.

They climbed upwards to the top of the drain pipe. Kiera climbed out after Alex and stared in awe. It was a beautiful view unlike anything she had ever seen in England. Kiera's eyes were wide. "Wow Alex! How did you find this?" she asked affectionately.

Alex had opened the drain pipe cautiously at first, his eyes scanning to see if there were any guards but there were thankfully so he opened it up the whole way, making a soft thump against the mossy ground beneath. He climbed out and waited for Kiera before closing it once more.
Her reaction was what he had been waiting for. Something that would surprise her about what he could do. He laughed as she asked him where she had found it. 'It's not hard if you have friends who sneak into hotel grounds,' he answered, as if it was a completely ordinary thing to be done. Stepping onto a stone found over the river, he leapt back onto the other side with ease and started walking to where a flat rock was found where the river was meant to be flowing over but had dried up.
Setting the rucksack ground, he pulled out the plain grey throw over onto the rock and sat down against it. 'You not gonna have a seat?' he called out, a playful smile on his face. He leant over and tested the water with a finger first. It was warm-ish but then, this was still Britain. Still the freezing cold place of the north. He let the water flow over his hands, making little patterns in the water because of it. His eyes were focused on his task and his face content with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back