Silence Isn't a Game

Yossarian Magonus

OOC First Name
Tenilee!
Yossarian already missed his son. Nicodemus had been at that magical school only for a few weeks, and he had already sent him numerous letters, quizzing the boy on how he was going, how his day was, whether he wanted to come home. Had he made friends? Was he happy? Was he completely, totally sure he didn't want to come home? What was his house like? Did he understand the materials he was learning? Did he remember to brush his teeth everyday? Was he one hundred percent, completely sure he didn't want to come home? The older man felt that his son just was not prepared for this. All by himself at a foreign school? He was terrified that he would be hurt - Nicodemus was such a sensitive boy, and still needed the protection only a father could provide. he was a number to all those professor's. They didn't care about the only good thing in his life. Nicodemus was all he had, and if something happened to his son and he wasn't around, he would never forgive himself.

He smiled awkwardly at the beautiful woman across from him, trying to pull his thoughts from Nicodemus and toward Dr. Nacht. It was because of his son that he was here, as Nicodemus had written her a letter, and asked for Yossarian to present it to her. He had no idea what was in the letter, but it now brought the two of them outside, at a small cafe across the street from the hospital. He had just ordered a chicken sandwich, because this was not a date, or anything like that. They were virtually strangers - he still thought of her as Dr. Nacht for Heaven's sake. Thanking the waiter as his food was presented to him, he nodded to his companion, and waited for her to speak.​
<i>
</i>

Honestly, since Yossarian and his son Nicci had left the hospital, it was all Adelaideshe could think about. Her mind mostly questioned if the boy was alright, but occasionally she would think about the fact that the man bore no ring on his finger. She wondered if he was divorced, or worse. If she had passed away, or if he was just a single father. It hadn't even crossed Addy's mind that the man might not be straight. She only thought that he seemed like a very caring man, who had good intentions with his son. He seemed a bit rough around the edges, but that didn't matter too much to Adelaide, as she herself was that way. In fact, as she was thinking about how she ended up in this cafe with Yossarian, she was tugging at her scrubs and hair, trying to keep the most noticeable of her scars on her collarbone covered. Yossarian gave Addy a small smile, and she gave him a relatively large on back. She wasn't sure what to say yet, but she was brewing ideas.

The letter sat on the table, waiting to be opened. She figured it would be nice to let his father read it, if she though Nicci would want that. If she felt he wouldn't, she would just brush it off as a thank you card. Addy ad watched Yossarian order a sandwich, where as the young doctor had already eaten about an hour ago, and just decided to order a soda. Maybe she'd get a coffee or latte before she left. But, now, it would make her stomach upset. After a moment of silent sipping, Addy decided that she should open the letter. She smiled at Yossarian while reading it. But her smile quickly turned to her having a beat red face, and stifling laughter. Quickly, before Yossi could even guess what was written in it, Adelaide put the letter away. She needed to keep that tucked away, because she was sure Yossarian wouldn't want Nicci playing matchmaker with the two of them. Changing the subject from her outburst, Addy decided to speak, "So how are you handling Nicodermus being at school?"

Yossarian distracted himself with his meal as she reacted to his son's letter. Nicodemus was an odd boy, and so the older man had no idea what it was his son could have possibly written in that letter to have Doctor Nacht react in such a way. As long as he did not mention being magical, Yossarian was fine with never knowing what had been said, although he would always be a little curious. Knowing Nicodemus, though, it was probably a huge list of everything he could think of regarding his father. Yossarian was not stupid, he knew his son's intentions, and he was not prepared to live in the little fantasy world his young son had managed to construct around him. He was a grown man and capable of taking care of himself, even if he wanted his son home right now. He had half a mind to just pull him out and just take him home. Yossarian, never having any formal magical education, was incapable of teaching him much, but he was sure his younger brother, Jasper, would be willing to teach him a few things. He was a far better wizard than Yossarian was.

He looked at her as she broke the silence, unintentionally voicing what he had been thinking for some time. He was not handling Nicodemus' absence well. He missed his son dearly, and would have rathered the boy not carry the magical gene. In fat, if his son were a squib, he would be more than happy with that. Ecstatic, in fact. "I'm fine," he lied, taking a sip of his drink. "He's in a good school, with good educators. He also has a good head on his shoulders. I'm sure he will be completely fine. I have no need to be concerned." Was he telling her or himself? He no-longer knew.​
<i>
</i>

Adelaide took a moment to come down from what the letter said. The heat on her cheeks soon subsided, and she was thankful that Yossarian didn't ask her what it said. However, Addy wondered if that confirmed that the boy's father had feelings for her. Or maybe the boy had just liked her, and wanted her to be around to help him when he was sick or upset. Whatever the reason for the letter, Adelaide was glad that he had sent it, and even more glad that Yossarian had agreed to lunch with her. After all, she would still be at the dreary hospital if not for the handsome man sitting across from her.

Yossarian spoke with an even tone, though being a bit more savvy to emotions than he seemed to be, it made it obvious that there was more to how he felt that being okay. "When my brother went off to school, I was pretty young. It was hard on our family. But he made good friends at the school, and it made it easier. With Nicci being so sweet, and so kind, I'm sure he'll make plenty of friends." She sipped more of her soda, before her pager on her hip rang. "Oh, not now..." She muttered, picking it up and looking at it. However, they were not asking her back to the hospital, they only mentioned that she needn't clock back in, as she had far too many hours as it was. It was probably the best news she could have gotten; working those doubles seemed to have paid off.

Adelaide looked at Yossarian. "It looks as if i don't have any plans for the rest of the day, other than walking home." She hoked the pager back into the holster. She wanted him to feel comfortable talking to her, so silence between them to give him time was fine with her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back