Severus.

Henric Lee

Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4" Essence of Silver Thistle
Tis a tale, of the Loveless trail, take some time to freshen your eyes, just look once, read past the Lies.

This is a boy talking, hear me out; it's the 3rd year at Hogwarts.

During potions I tend to stare at the girl next to me. She was my so called 'best friend. I'd constantly stare at her long, silky hair ... and earn a well-deserved slap on the back of my head by the Potions Master. And I hardly agree I deserve anything from the man.Still; I wished she was mine. But she didn't notice me like that, and I knew it. After Potions class she would walk up to me and ask me for the notes she had missed the previous lesson. When I handed them to her, she said 'thanks', and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Right there, I wanted to tell her. I want her to know that I don't want to be 'just friends'. I love her, but as far as the word Pathetic goes, I'm too shy to tell her... And I don't know why.

Now it's the 5th year, summer vacation.

My phone rang, and on the other end it was her, for some reason, she was in tears. Mumbling on and on about how her love had broken her heart. She asked me to come over because she didn't want to be alone... So I did. And she had no idea how close I was to breaking down because she would never ... ah, never mind. So I sat next to her on the sofa, the only thing I could see were those soft eyes. The only thought was wishing she was mine. After two hours, some sad Muggle movie, and three packets of random junk, she decided to go
to bed and sleep it off. She looked at me for one long, heart-stopping moment, said 'thanks', and gave me a kiss on the cheek. Ever had a sudden rush of thoughts flood your head? I wanted to tell her, I wanted her to know that I don't want to be 'just friends'. How would you break it? Hey there, I'm sorry, but I'm not really just a best friend, I've loved you all the while? I don't know why, but the words don't make it out of my mouth in more than a hoarse whisper.

Now it's the seventh year. The final year.

The day right before the Yule Ball, she walks right up to where I'm walking out of class. 'My date is sick', she
said. He's not going to go. Well... I didn't have a date either ... it wasn't that I couldn't get one, I was even asked out, it was just that, the same old issue; you know. We made a promise that if the both of us didn't have dates, we'd go together as 'Best Friends', so we did. As Best Friends. I couldn't be happier that **** was sick, but it did light a useless spark of hope for me.

Night of the Yule Ball...

After everything was over with, I was standing with her at the entrance to the Gryffindor Common. I stared at her, she smiled at me, and I wanted her to be mine, but she doesn't think of me like that, and after that fiasco with that word ... 'Mudblood' ... I know it. Then she said 'I had a great time, thanks!' And she gave me a kiss on the cheek. I wanted to tell her. I wanted her to know that I don't want to be 'just friends'. I love her but I'm just too afraid, too shy, too cowardly, and now I let him take her, away from me. Despite the fact he wasn't here, I knew; I knew it was just pity on her part. Just pity and sympathy.

This day ... Graduation day. Where we leave this castle.

A day passed. And then a week. And then a month. Before I could even blink, it was graduation day. I watched her all the time; perfect body, floated like an angel forward to say her speech. I wanted her to be mine. How many others thought of her that way now? But she doesn't think of me that way. And I know it. Before everyone went home, she came to me and cried as I hugged her. Then she lifted her head from my shoulders and said 'You were best friend, and I'll always remember what you did for me... Thank you.' And just like that, she gave me a kiss on the cheek. Again. I wanted to tell her. I wanted her to know that I wanted to be more than 'just friends'. Yell it out. "I love you!" But, in the end, I'm not shy, I'm just a coward, I don't even deserve a glance of her eyes.

A few years later.

Now I lean back against the wall of some neat little cottage in Godric's like some criminal. Some private wedding and marriage. I watched her say 'I do' and start her new life. Married to another man. I'd always wanted her to be mine. But she didn't see me like that. What did she see? Did she see what everyone else saw? Greedy eyes, greased hair. But before she left, she noticed me, and came up to me quietly with those soft eyes aflame with ... passion? Determination? What? She said 'You came ... Thank you.' And she kissed me on the cheek. I wanted to tell her, I wantd her to know that I didn't want to be 'just friends. I love her, but girls like her, don't deserve people like me.

So many years passed.

I rummaged through the old belongings of a girl that used to be my 'best friend'. I heard that back then at the funeral they read a diary entry she had wrote. Idiots probably mistook who it was meant for; but I knew. This is what it said. 'I stared at him, wondering how he could be so confident, wishing he might give me a chance, but he doesn't notice me like that, and I know it. He's too preoccupied with his new friends who don't mingle with 'people like me'. I wanted to tell him, I wanted him to know, that I don't want to be 'just friends' with him. I thought I might have loved him once, but I was just too shy, and I don't know why. I wish he would tell me he loved me. I wish I told him how i felt when I had the chance, before he became one of them. Why did you change so much, that I can't even recognise you anymore, Sev?'

I tore the family photo apart so I could see just her, her soft eyes, perfect body, smiling face. Was she truly happy? Would I have been able to do better? Why did I have so many regrets and so much guilt for what happened back there?

Severus Snape broke down into tears, crumpling onto the floor as he clutched the photo of Lily Potter tightly in his grasp.

I read this yesterday in GD and was thinking I hope he's put it into fanfiction area as well coz I love it. Really. :wub:

Well done ;)

Was that original? Coz I've read something very much like it here number 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back