Settling the Score * closed *

Bruin Dumbledez

Wand
Ebony Wand 15" - Dragon's Heartstring Core
It was one of the first really good days of spring and Bruin made his way down to the Quidditch Pitch for a little solo flying. He had regained his good spirits and was doing well in his lessons as usual, but had lost some of his enthusiasm for Quidditch and was hoping to regain it.

The new generation of Opaleye Assault was talented and enthusiastic, but there was no real rivalry and he didn't really know what the teams were playing for. The Gryffindor House Team was just starting to come together when the season was cancelled and Bruin was still disappointed that they hadn't been given the opportunity to test themselves against the more experienced Slytherin Squad.

Bruin had even gone so far as to issue a direct challenge to Ford in the Three Broomsticks to see just who was best, but hadn't spoken to him since the argument that he'd had with Ford and Sophia, rarely seeing them in classes and not initiating any conversations with them when he did. Bruin tossed his quidditch supplies down on the ground near the equipment shed and sat down to inspect his Scarlet Streak. He had added a fresh coat of Anti-Jinx Varnish yesterday and pleased with the results, mounted his broom and accelerated up into the sky, making a direct line for the north hoops.

After Ford's girl related drama, his term had been relatively sedate. The lack of quidditch games had kept his life rather uneventful and boring. He had decided to take his broom out for a spin, in hopes that the term's malaise hadn't dampened his reflexes. With his broom over his shoulder he sauntered down to the pitch. He didn't know why he was surprised to see someone else here, it was spring after all. Upon closer inspection, he noticed that the first denizen of the pitch was none other than Bruin.

Ford's stomach briefly flip-flopped, but he quickly brought it under control. He briefly considered turning back, but pushed the thought from his mind. Something compelled him towards an encounter with an old friend turned rival. He had had time to think and considered what had happened between the two of them. Anymore, it had gotten to the point where he had to stop and think back to what had started this mess in the first place.

Watching Bruin fly off into the sky, Ford decided to chill on the ground and wait for Bruin's return. He did not feel like chasing him around the sky.

As Bruin turned his broom in a slow lazy arc, he noticed that someone else had made their way out onto the pitch, not particularly surprising given the type of day it was. He decided to take a quick fly-by to see if he recognized the other person and as he approached it became evident to him that it was Ford standing on the turf below.

Bruin took a deep breath and decided that it was time that the two of them spoke, alone. He slowed his broom and descended to land not far from Ford. Bruin laid his broom down and gave Ford a wary nod. "Hey Ford. You don't have a team practice, do you?", Bruin said without much expression in his voice.

Ford watched as Bruin descended down onto the ground. Broom over his shoulder, Ford made no other movement than nodding a stoic and ever so slight salutation to Bruin. He wasn't sure how Bruin would react to Ford's presence, not having interacted with him at all since their last heated encounter. He decided it to be prudent to play it safe, and get a feeling for how Bruin thought about this encounter.

"I do not," he answered simply, "Do you? I would not want to intrude."

Bruin's mood eased slightly with Ford's response. "Nah, I don't think I could get my new team organized for a practice even if I tried. It's weird, but I've kind of lost my enthusiasm for Quidditch right now with everything else that's happened...", Bruin's voice trailed off.

"So, how have you been?", Bruin asked tentatively, not sure whether he should bring up their previous discussion or not.

Ford gave a small shrug, "I have been," he explained dryly. He had not done much, and thus had existed and not much beyond. "My sentiments are fairly similar," he had lost much of his motivation to achieve anything as of late. The two of them had had a fairly rocky relationship, and deep in the dark corners of his mind, Ford wished that things could be better. A tiny spark in his mind brought up the thought that with he and Bruin friends again, they could effectively rule the student body. The two of them were individually were the two oldest boys at the school, and they commanded much respect between the two of them. Ford dropped the thoughts off; more and more such inclinations and ideas had propositioned themselves to him.

He did not know how to continue the conversation. He had thought about this a few times, but it all vanished from his head. He could barely recall their last conversation. Ford's pride urged him to sling an asinine remark in Bruin's face and walk away, cackling. However, empty and emotionless logic oddly combined with his desire for his friendship with Bruin to recover, pushed him to do otherwise. "Listen," he spoke abruptly, before realizing that he had no idea what he wanted to say. "I...I would like to extend an apology." He blurted in an extremely formal manner that he had seen at official state meals he had attended with his mother, "For what happened." His voice trailed off slightly, giving the experienced listener an insight into how uncomfortable Ford was.

Bruin didn't know what to expect when the conversation began, but he was somewhat surprised how it was progressing. Bruin and Ford had been through a lot together in their first few years...exploring the dungeons, sharing many a butterbeer at the Wizard's Retreat, and, of course, sabotaging the Student Defense Club's forest meeting. He felt bad that he had let one relatively minor mistake become such a barrier between them.

"Ummm, I'm sorry too.", he said awkwardly. "I wasn't in a very good frame of mind when I got back from holidays and I shouldn't have taken it out on you. Friends?", he said as he extended his hand to Ford, hoping that the two of them could put the whole situation behind them.

Ford glanced down at Bruin's extended hand. An angst-ridden corner of his mind wanted to hit it with his broom and turn to write bad poetry in a corner, however he returned the gesture and shook Bruin's hand. "Freinds." Ford agreed, somewhat relieved that they had made this reconciliation. However, he was afraid that things would still be awkward when Sophia was around. Let that wait, he decided. They had made this step, best to let the old friendship build up again before hitting it with that sledgehammer.

Bruin released Ford's hand and then realized that he had no idea what to say next. It had been so long since the two had spoken that Bruin realized he had no idea what Ford spent his time doing, particularly as he didn't have many classes with him. Finally, deciding upon a relatively safe topic, Bruin spoke. "So, do you have any plans for summer holidays this year?', he asked, hoping that it didn't cause Ford to reflect on the tension caused by last year's break.

"Sophia invited me to stay with her," Ford said, determining it best that he get it out as cleanly as possible, "But that is not definite in any form and if it falls through, I believe that I will be staying here this summer."

"That's cool...", Bruin replied casually, wondering if Sophia and Ford were planning on spending the summer with her father in New Zealand or whether they would be heading to her mother's new place. "Let me know if things fall through...maybe I can have the boys over for a week or two for a little Brotherhood retreat. I think I'd like to take things to another level next year, you know, give the Sorority something to think about...and well, I'd like you to be involved in that...uh, if you're still interested that is?".

Bruin was hoping that he, Ford and Kale could do some recruiting and build up the Brotherhood's membership. He just didn't know whether this still fit in with Ford's future plans or whether the stress of the last year had created a barrier that would be impossible for them to overcome.

Ford, letting pretense slip intentionally, gave a small malicious grin, "Bringing the Brotherhood back up to our standards, or lack thereof, would be...excellent." The Brotherhood would be a good project for he and Bruin, the two of them would be able to achieve much through the Brotherhood. "Perhaps we shall gain good recruits next year. Shall I look into the new kids when the time comes?"

Bruin was pleased to see Ford's response, he had genuinely missed sitting around at the Wizard's Retreat without the added pressure of girls to think about. "I think that would be an excellent idea. I'd like to build our membership with quality as opposed to quantity. Perhaps we'll need to work on some type of application and screening process to make sure that those we accept meet our unique standards?"

"That sounds like a good idea," Ford agreed, "We could pull together an inpromptu meeting in the Brotherhood in the next few days. With you, Kale, and I." He added dryly, but grinning slightly.

"Alright, sounds like a plan.", Bruin replied, feeling much better about things having spoken with Ford and reassured that they were back on good terms. "Well, I was actually coming out here to clear my head, but talking with you seems to have done the trick. I think I should head off to get some studying done.", Bruin said as he began packing up some of his stuff.

"Sounds like a plan," Ford said, "I believe I'm going to stay out here for a bit, I haven't flown for a bit, need to keep up."

((Shall I start a thread?))

(sure...the Brotherhood needs to wake up. I'll PM Kale to be on the lookout for something)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back