Second Years, Lesson One

"Hello, everyone," Gabrielle greeted, giving the class a small smile and nod as they took their seats. She didn't really mind where they sat too much, as long as they didn't start chattering and disturbing the class. "For those of you who do not know me for some reason or have developed convenient amnesia over the holidays, I'm Professor Moncrieffe, and I am your professor for first through fourth year History of Magic. We don't need to stand on formality, but please do address me respectfully and not rudely." It was important to set ground rules for the class, and maintain them. "Makes it easier for me to do the same back." She hoped that would lighten the mood a little. There were plenty of teachers she'd come across who didn't respect their students. They were usually the worst kind.

"This year we'll be looking at a couple of major figures in history, and we'll be writing a few essays as well. I'll go over essay writing in class if you would like. I'm not looking for perfect structure at this stage, but we'll work up towards improving your writing over time." She gave a sympathetic smile to the class. It wasn't the most thrilling subject to talk about, but it was important for all their subjects, not just History of Magic. "You'll thank me when you get to your OWLs and NEWTs."

"Just a short lesson today. I won't keep you too long, as I'm sure you have plenty of gossiping about your holidays to do,"
Gabrielle joked, raising an eyebrow at the class. "If you are struggling with History, or with any of your classes, especially in the theoretical side of things, please come see me. I can promise you a cup of tea and no judgement. Unless you're coming to tell me how much you hate history. I might judge you then. But I can't help you if you don't say anything. We're here to help, but I'm not a mind reader and I can't necessarily help you unless you tell me you need help." Gabrielle shrugged, smoothing down her robes again. "And if you're finding it easy, and want to learn some more unique and interesting things, I can help you out. I'm sure there's plenty of more exciting research projects out there that are so fascinating you might not even think of them as work." That might not have gone down with the Hufflepuffs and Slytherins. Maybe she should have offered house points. Knowledge was a greater reward, at least so Gabrielle thought. "Anyway, that's all for today. Go on and get fresh air and make the most of not getting hand cramps."

Homework
RP the lesson.

Sunday was ready to face the new semester with a renewed vigor. She'd done the reading over the break and she was sure that this was going to be her semester. She would master this stubborn wand- no one outmatched Sunday Weeks once she'd put her mind to it. She was certain of it. She took a deep, steadying breath. Making sure that her look was perfect, she gathered her bag and walked to class.

Sunday really did enjoy History of Magic- even if that was only because she liked that there was very little to no spellwork involved. She took her place in class, turning her attention to the Professor. It was a shorter lesson, but she still enjoyed it. Professor Moncrieffe was probably one of her more liked Professors- the woman seemed practical and no-nonsense and Sunday could appreciate that.

Tanith wasn't sure she was feeling much better this semester. She was trying to figure herself out, figure out her life, but it was just so hard. She didn't want to tell any of her older sisters, didn't want to bother anyone else. It was draining. She found her way to class, only vaguely aware of where she was going. She found a seat, smiling softly at the boy she sat beside. She didn't draw any attention to herself, taking a few odd notes. The lecture was long, and she wasn't sure she could repeat any of what was said. Gathering her things when they were dismissed, she headed back out again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back