Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Lars) (Gay
Wand
Laurel Wand 12 1/2" with Phoenix Tail Feather
Blake didn't think there was anywhere in the castle he felt safe anymore. His dorm hadn't really felt like home since first year, especially not now that he didn't have a single friend left there. The common room was out now that Jenna was here, and the quidditch pitch was... better, but even he couldn't spend all his time practicing. The only places Blake felt safe and comfortable were secret and hidden, where he could be alone with Lars. He couldn't spend all of his time with the Ravenclaw either though, so Blake had taken to retreating to the student lounge. It wasn't a perfect solution as Jenna could easily find him here, but at least he was less likely to run into one of the ever-growing list of Slytherins he was avoiding. Dwelling on his thoughts hurt too much, so he had brought a book of Quidditch strategies up to the lounge to try and distract himself, burying his face in the pages and trying to focus on strategy and planning for the year ahead.

Simon felt like there was a lead weight in the pit of his stomach for the past week, yet he was doing his best to pretend it wasn't there and noting was wrong. As far as everyone else was concerned he hadn't received a letter from his father that effectively promised to cut him off after graduation if Simon didn't get his act together. So that all meant he needed a distraction, and that's how he ended up in the student lounge looking for someone to bother when he spotted Blake. He kept his distance at first, wondering if he should make a proper introduction. Simon didn't know a lot about the older boy, but he did know Tyler hated him and yet they used to be friends. So far he hadn't been able to get Tyler to explain what happened and what caused the split. They mystery had been gnawing at him for over a year now. He was sure this would probably end badly but he decided he didn't have much to lose anyways. "It's a little early to be studying, no?' Simon asked, before sliding into a chair opposite the older boy.

Blake had never really found it easy to focus on a book for long, but Quidditch books at least had the advantage of an interesting subject. The Wronski Feint was definitely a tactic Blake wanted to employ more often, quietly relishing the thought of managing to send Elliot to hospital this time around without joining him there. So he was thoroughly absorbed in the page he was reading when he heard a voice he didn't especially enjoy talking to him. He looked up to see that kid Tyler had been hanging around, giving him a dangerous look. "Hey kid, I know you've never accomplished anything in your life, but this is what winning looks like." He said sharply, holding up the book a little to show its cover.

Simon folded his hands in front of him and raised an eyebrow as Blake acknowledged him. “Kid?” he asked curiously, and an amused look on his face. He was a year younger but that hardly qualified him to be referred to as ‘kid’ and as far as intimidation tactics went it was weak. He had to try not to laugh. The comment about never accomplishing anything almost hurt, if he had not heard worse from his father regularly. He kept his face neutral and decided it wasn’t worth his time to acknowledge with a comment. “Ah yes, quidditch.” he said with a sarcastic kind of enthusiasm as he saw what book Blake was reading. “I never knew winning involved so much reading.” he pointed out as he leaned back in his chair slightly. “But what do I know?” he said with a shrug. “You are the reigning champion after all.” he added smugly.

Blake rolled his eyes at Simon's objection, giving the younger boy a pointed look but not bothering to comment on it. He was practically an adult already, and this kid was still a fifth year. Blake snorted at his comment about Quidditch, sitting up a bit taller. "Yeah, I am." He said firmly, the same bite in his tone he had heard his dad use dozens of times at competitions. "Winning takes brains, it takes strategy. Guess that's why you're not on the team." He snapped.

Simon wasn’t sure what to make of Blake now that they were actually speaking. He seemed to take the compliment but it hadn’t softened him the way Simon had hoped. “Yes.” he replied tightly. “That’s why.” he said with a sigh, not sure what else to say to that comment. If he was being honest, he simply didn’t care for the sport. He thought it was fun to watch but playing it seemed like a waste of time. He started to wonder what Tyler ever saw in Blake as a friend. The older boy’s competitiveness was entering but Simon imagined it got old after a while. Thinking of Tyler he wondered how to bring up Blake's ex-friends in a somewhat natural way. "You know, Tyler did mention you took quidditch very seriously." he said, to test the waters. It wasn't as elegant of a transition as he would have liked but it also wasn't the worst.

Blake was relieved when Simon seemed to just accept his challenge as a natural end to the conversation, eyes flicking back to his book. That relief didn't last long though, as Simon brought up the unspoken source of the tension between them. "Tyler can huff hot farts." He said bluntly. "I get that he had to replace me with a budget version 'cause he's useless on his own, but that doesn't make you and me buddies." Blake hadn't been this mean about anyone in a long time, he was starting to realise, and the words felt wrong in his mouth, even though they came to his mind naturally enough. He knew Lars had changed him, in ways he was still just beginning to understand, but feeling bad about insulting his former best friend was new. Even if he went through with the apology neither of them had been willing to deliver all these years, Blake didn't know if he could ever be friends with someone like Tyler again. The more he thought about it though, the more wrong it felt that he had been... was cowardly the right word? Too cowardly to apologise first? Blake definitely owed Tyler the first apology, he was starting to accept that, but... even then, the person he had been when he had been friends with Tyler... that was light years away from the person he was with Lars, and more and more he was realising which of those two people felt right to be.

Simon had somehow kept a straight face as Blake uttered the words ‘hot farts’ with no sense of irony. It was a minor miracle he managed to keep his composure through the other boy's outburst at all. “I’ll be sure to tell him that.” he said evenly as he cracked a smile, unable to keep his amusement completely hidden. Simon wasn't sure if it was the juvenile wording but Blake’s insults that were directed at him specifically rolled off easily. He wasn’t sure if it was his own confidence or if it was just because the other boy’s insults were just that predictable. He has almost expected better coming from someone with such a reputation. “Those are some harsh words. What did he do to deserve that?” Simon asked curiously. “Oh don’t worry, I was under no misconception there.” he added and held up his hands in a mock gesture of surrender. If anything this conversation was confirming that he was perfectly fine having as little to do with the other boy as possible.

Blake rolled his eyes at Simon's comment, and snorted at his question. "None of your business, kid." He said firmly. "The stuff between me and Tyler is between me and Tyler. You're not important enough to know what went down." This whole conversation felt wrong, like a version of himself he had stopped being at some point was still speaking for him, and it was jarring to realise. Blake closed his book and stood up, giving Simon a filthy look. "Just stay away from me."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back