Reaching The Sky

Sukie Takahiro

Wand
Cherry Wand 12 1/2" Essence of Wood Rose and a Handful Sprinkle of Fairy Dust
Sukie was determined to overcome his fear of flying (fear of heights, whatever) and had decided, conveniently, that first thing on a spring morning was the time to do it, when nobody would be around to see him embarrass himself.

He had quickly walked to the broom shed and picked one at random; they were certainly all high-enough quality brooms, even if they were school equipment - Hogwarts bought the best for its students. So he was as certain as he could be that the flying spells wouldn't deactivate and the broom itself wouldn't disintegrate out from under him. Somehow, it wasn't enough; his stomach still twisted at the thought of actually flying.

Which was why he was doing this, after all. He took a few steps outside the broom shed, looked around, wrapped his scarf more tightly around his face and drew his hat down over his ears, realized he had to stop stalling and stuck the broom between his legs. He kicked off gently. Three feet, he could handle that. Five, he could even handle that. Around ten feet, he started to get dizzy; at eleven, it was all he could do just to keep his eyes open. He stopped there, and looked around...and saw another shape down below him. He cursed under his breath, hoping it wasn't somebody out to humiliate him, and carefully brought the broom down again to see who it was, but he fell off it with a crunch into the grass (fortunately, he'd only been a few feet off the ground, so it didn't hurt too much). "Ow," he whined.

Sam needed to get onto his brrom and quick. What was that moment he had shared with Toni the previous day? He couldn't get that thought out of his head all night which led to a very sleepless night. Early in the morning Sam gave up trying to go to sleep and grabbed his Emerald Streak from under his bed. He threw on a black hoodie, a pair of skinny jeans and a t-shirt. Sam quickly hurried down to the Pitch, where all his thoughts were forgotten.

Sam walked quite quickly onto the pitch with his head down, his hood up, the grass had the crispy sound whenever he stood on it from the thin layer of ice covering the strands of grass. He swung his leg over his broom and was about to take off when he heard a thump from behind him. He looked up from under his hood. It was a boy not much younger than himself. He badly wanted to be up in the air but he couldn't leave the boy by himself. He was obviously new to the whole 'flying' thing.

Sam sighed quietly to himself and un-mounted his broom, he walked over to where the boy was lying on the ground. "Mate are you alright?" He asked him crouching down beside him. His british accent was thick. "Here." He said and held his hand out for the boy to take.

Sukie laid still for a long moment, assessing the situation. He didn't think anything was broken, but he'd given his head a bit of a thump and undoubtedly had dirt and grass in his hair and on his face. He looked up at the older boy, who looked so worried; he felt terribly guilty for worrying the boy.

"I think I'll live," he said. He craned his neck, but couldn't see the broom. "Did I break the broom? Did the damn thing fly away?" he asked innocently. Sukie's head was spinning. "Ow," Sukie said again, reaching over to rub his arm, which was probably injured.

With a small grunt of effort, he sat up, rubbing his neck and twisting his head around to make sure everything was still attached and where it was supposed. "Scared me a little bit too," he admitted after a moment. "I hate heights. I hate flying more. I was trying to overcome that but I think I've traumatized myself for life now. Stupid broom." Sukie sighed. "I don't know why I don't like heights. It's weird, too, like I'm okay on the roof so long as I'm not right at the edge, but I don't like brooms at all. I think the brooms have a conspiracy to dump me off them. They're out to get me."

"No, the broom is fine." He said looking over at the shabby broom lying on the ground. Sam laughed a little at his theory. "Are you sure your alright. I mean thinking that brooms are out to get you. Cannot be sane." He chuckled, of coarse he was only messing with the boy and his tone of voice suggested that. Sam got up from his crouch and stood up straight. "Haven't your flying lessons started?" He asked him, thinking about when he had flying lessons last year. They started around this time.

Sam didn't like those lessons so much. As much as he adored quidditch, he knew all the stuff Professor Ana taught. How to mount a broom, how to command up and how to fly. Those classes were exceptionally boring! Though he had to attend each and every one of those classes for the grades.

Sam looked back up at the sky longingly, wanting to be up there- free. But he looked back at the boy. "I can help you out a bit if you would like that. Thats if your not too badly hurt." Sam added the last bit quickly, realising that maybe the boy needed to go to the hospital wing. He wondered would he be brave enough to try it again. After the first fall was the hardest part, but it took practice to be perfect. And Sam practiced. "I'm Sam Prince. Second year Huffepuff." Sam said almost forgetting to introduce himself.

Dannii was flying around the quidditch pitch having a bit of fun, she didn't plan on meeting any one important today so she only wore a t-shirt and jeans with boots. Then she saw Sam and another boy on the ground. She zoomed down and landed, "hey Sam, hows the big bad puff been doing?" she asked. Then she turned towards the boy "hello, and who are you?" she asked giving him a questioning look.

Sukie had fears and phobia's but not in the normal category. Like everything else, his fears were usual and normal featured in situation where he couldn't handle herself. For example, he was terrified of heights. Bad experience as a child. Sometimes life was out to get you, but you had to life with it, nothing is ever simple, like he had found out the hard way.

Sukie grinned at the girl who had just joined them. "There was some trouble with the broom." His gaze rested on her, and he quirked an eyebrow.

He shrugged, and got to his feet, wiping grass off the back of his jeans. "I guess I just think I'm clumsy and might fall. I don't know. So Sam, are you afraid of anything?" Sukie asked.

"And yes, our flying lessons have begun," he answered in a low voice.

Ashley was back from the gutter or rather should say school. She missed being in her, she missed flying but still doesn't have time to try-out. She wore her red ruffle dress, black leggings and red sneakers. Ashley rode her broom going to the pitch to have some flying moment, but when she got there she saw people that she didn't know.

Ashley flew towards them and smiled, "Hey, can i join your little flying." Ashley said still on her broom. "If any of you don't know me, I'm Ashley Cooper, Hs transfer." She said simply and smiled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back