Random News from the Saskwatch.

Hilary Grace

OOC First Name
debscute
Wand
debscute
Okay so as pretty much everyone knows I come from Northern (ish) Saskatchewan, Canada. While technically I am a part of the same country as Nick, Courtney and our other lovely Canadians..... middle of nowheresville, Canada is quite different from Ontario...... especially in our news and what we choose to report. So here are a few of our biggest stories at the moment....

Record-cold temperatures sweep Saskatchewan
So I know you all already think I'm crazy for living in the weather I do..... where during the winter, above -10 C is WARM weather and -25 is kinda cold. This March though, even for me, our weather has started to get a little bit crazy. In parts of Saskatchewan the temperature has gotten down to -50 C while where I live we broke our March 12th record at -38 C without windchill. What do you think of the cold? Anyone wanna switch? :p Here are some articles and facts for more reading if this interests you:
Article: Saskatoon Star Pheonix
Article: Moose Jaw Times Herald
Record List: The Weather Network

Curt Dagenais vs. RCMP
This is a case that has been bouncing around the news in Saskatchewan (and Canada??) for almost 3 years. The basic gist of it is that in July of 2006 a man led three RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) officers on a high speed chase down Saskatchewan back roads, and then fired on all three killing two of them. After years of going in and out of court, the (hopefully) final two-week trial took place this past week, finding him guilty and sentencing him to life in prison.

This happened not too far from the city where I live and sort of shook us all up. While I didn't personally know either of the officers, I do know some of their friends, family members and am actually quite close with their former priest. While it is understood that this verdict will help to revenge the victims, many still see that this won't bring them back. Below is an article on the trial. What do you think of the case? Any thoughts, feedback?

Article: CBC Canada

You said:
Canada is quite different from Ontario.
Oh, really? I was yet unaware of this, seeings that Ontario is a part of Canada.

At any rate, I don't know why the trial is Dagenais v. RCMP when it should obviously be Regina v. Dagenais (it being a criminal case) unless Dagenais attempted somehow to charge the RCMP with something. :lol:
I've never heard of the case before, but the sentencing seems to be fair. The only problem is that with a federal sentence it's only 25 years to life, and unless he's a first degree murderer (which by the scenario you described he is not. That's second degree.) he'll be eligible for parole after a third of his sentence. If denied parole and not noted to be a dangerous offender (where no minimum or maximum sentence would be placed on him, but he would be eligible for parole every seven years) then he would receive mandatory release after two thirds of his sentence. But that's just how it's done, I guess.
I feel sorry for the family of those RCMP officers, but I'm reading Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughter-house Five at the moment and it points out that, though the officers are dead in this moment, they're alive in many others.
So it goes. ;)

Professor Nicolas King said:
You said:
Oh, really? I was yet unaware of this, seeings that Ontario is a part of Canada.
She actually said:

Hilary said:
middle of nowheresville, Canada is quite different from Ontario

Quite different. That's quote manipulation ^_^

And that is cold. I thought our weather was messed up. :mellow:
Although I'm presuming you don't get freak semi-hot spells (for us anyway) and what about rain? Wouldn't it just freeze...[/i]

Nick said:
At any rate, I don't know why the trial is Dagenais v. RCMP when it should obviously be Regina v. Dagenais (it being a criminal case) unless Dagenais attempted somehow to charge the RCMP with something. :lol:
I don't know what it's called :p I just invented a title so that I could share my news :p
Nick said:
I've never heard of the case before, but the sentencing seems to be fair. The only problem is that with a federal sentence it's only 25 years to life, and unless he's a first degree murderer (which by the scenario you described he is not. That's second degree.) he'll be eligible for parole after a third of his sentence. If denied parole and not noted to be a dangerous offender (where no minimum or maximum sentence would be placed on him, but he would be eligible for parole every seven years) then he would receive mandatory release after two thirds of his sentence. But that's just how it's done, I guess.
Actually they did sentence him with first degree.... I'm honestly not sure how. We're still waiting to see if they appeal it, but for now his sentence in life.
Lemina said:
And that is cold. I thought our weather was messed up. :mellow:
Although I'm presuming you don't get freak semi-hot spells (for us anyway) and what about rain? Wouldn't it just freeze..
Well.... we don't really get freak hot spells, though our summers can get up to like +30 C..... but that's for like a day or two....

The other day it tried to rain... froze in the air. Made driving horrible. Couldn't see anything..... Yeah, I would so much prefer snow to freezing rain..... At least it's soft and doesn't make crazy loud noises. :p

Lemina Troque said:
You said:
She actually said:

Hilary said:

No, it wasn't quote manipulation, I simply misread her post.

Lemina Troque said:
You said:
She actually said:

Hilary said:

No, it wasn't quote manipulation, I simply misread her post.
I do that :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back