OOC First Name
Madz
Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Single (Looking)
Wand
11½' Holly Wood Core of Augurey Tail Feather
Joshua has had a rough couple of weeks since the start of the second semester. They lost the quidditch game, he was slacking in his classes, and he remains to sulk over Yvette ditching him at the Yule Ball. He didn't know how he manage to get out of bed every day with dark clouds hovering over him. As depressing as he felt, Joshua had to face each day like none of his troubles bother him. Plus, there was someone else that was in far worst shape than he is. Giving himself a break from this miserable sadness, Joshua went searching for a certain redhead. He heard word that she may be in the student lounge or Hogwarts Monthly classroom. Joshua rolled with his chances, heading up to the student lounge. Red locks caught his eyes while he prowls the familiar room. She was sitting in a corner, quiet and alone. Joshua heads over to assess how the headgirl was holding up.

@Leda Layton

Nothing could have prepared Leda for the year that she was having. On one hand it was overwhelming knowing that she had so much going on, so many responsibilities and duties and people she couldn't let down, but in all honesty it was those things that were keeping her going. Despite everything that had happened with Olive, Leda still had to look back on the things she had managed to achieve, and realise she hadn't come out of the last few years completely empty handed, and as much as she felt the guilt that she hadn't had the chance to acknowledge it was because of her sister, Leda was very aware that the only reason she was who she was today was because of her. The Head Girl had spoken of a few things with Zennon, things that really she didn't know how to explain but trusted the Slytherin to be able to decipher. One thing she did know how to put into words however was her writing, which was why she was in the student lounge already working on her next article for the Hogwarts Monthly. If Josh hadn't made her co-editor, then the seventh year would still be working as hard as she did for it, only now she was in a better position should she apply for the prophet. As a shadow appeared over her parchment, she sighed, hoping it wasn't one of the younger students that wanted to ask her something. She knew she had to put on a face sometimes, especially to those that didn't really know her, but on occasion Leda just wanted to lose herself too. "Oh, it's you." she stated, eyes landing on her co-editor. At least she wouldn't have to pull herself away from her work completely then.

Joshua stops, not completely expecting that sort of reaction from Leda. Was there something wrong with him? Did he do or say anything to receive such a greeting? It would alarm Joshua as Leda is his co-editor, but then again this is Leda who he was dealing with. She wasn’t always the best to deal with, he is aware that from other students. Also, he can’t forget, Leda lost a sister, so he guess this is how a person acts when they’ve lost someone close to them. “Yeah, it’s me,” nodded the teen, tapping his sides frequently. He is trying to find the right words to say, the right way to behave when trying to comfort someone who’s life may be torn apart over a loss of a loved one. “I heard what happened, Leda…” the Ravenclaw began deciding there really was no easy way to approach this. But, he just knows or thinks he knows he wouldn’t feel comfortable not talking about such a sensitive topic while they were managing the club together. This hard time, what Leda is going through might affect the work she contributes to the Hogwarts Monthly. The club was important, but her wellbeing mattered more than any old club in this school. Jousha has to make that be known and understood by his co-editor. “Leda, are you okay? Do you need to step away from HM for a little while?”

News about Olive was bound to have gotten around the school sooner or later. The Head Girl smiled at Josh although there was very little feeling behind it as she glanced back down to her book. What she was meant to respond with? Was she meant to be glad that someone she barely spoke to beyond their work with the newspaper had found out? Her head shot up again however when the Ravenclaw asked if she needed to step away. “Don’t you dare. Hogwarts Monthly is one of the only reasons I’m still here,” she said slightly angrily, although she figured that it was because she was just upset rather than didn’t like the fact Josh was just checking up in her. She sighed, adjusting in her seat a little and shuffling over in case he was intending on going through the agenda with her. Was that what this was about, he thought she couldn’t keep up? “The more I have to focus on, the more fine I am, so yes.” Leda didn’t want Josh to think that she needed a break to think about Olive, she was doing that enough as it was.

Big mistake. Joshua put his hands up in defense, “Okay, got it. I won’t, s-sorry,” the teen stammers. He was overthinking it too much, it’s a good thing he asked. He would’ve made the decision on his own, and he just didn’t want to imagine had he done so without asking first. “I wanted to give you that option...in case, in case it was too much to handle, Leda,” Joshua went on in a low, gentle voice. Saying something similar along the lines of what Alexis would say to him in his troubling times. He thinks he is not doing so bad, he is reminded again who he was dealing with here. And it’s not like he wasn’t making sense, he was saying the things someone would say to him if he lost his tia or Jenna. Would he be able to continue with the club if that were to happen to him? Tap, tap. His fingers continue to rapidly hit at his side. “Let me know if you need anything, need any help or someone to talk to, I’m here. Really, don’t hesitate to ask,” Joshua tells her in the most concerning, supportive tone possible. He really was trying here, he hopes it shows. “Okay…”

Leda had come to learn recently that her go to reaction these days was defence, and it was clear that Joshua was only trying to help her out. He just didn't seem to understand what the club meant to her. The Head Girl was feeling a little awkward with the Ravenclaw stood next to her, despite the fact she'd moved across the bench for him. "Sit down, Josh," she glanced from him to the seat beside her, motioning with her head. She had to hold back her usual tone, trying to keep it kinder, but it still could have done with a little work. Josh wasn't Zennon or Mervyn. He wasn't someone she was used to talking to, let alone opening up to. She wasn't entirely sure why she was inviting him to join her so much as it happened to be an article she was working on already, so maybe bonding over their friendship and the club was overdue, and it would kill two birds with one stone as they say.

Josh didn’t need to be told twice, the teen sat down rubbing his hands at his side before he took his place besides the head girl. Besides Alexis, Joshua is rarely invited to do anything with his other schoolmates. He counted that as a blessing as he didn’t think he would make good company anyways. He tried it once with Simon, inviting the head boy to the three broomsticks. The place was very regularly visited by many of their own age, and yet, their meetup had been as exciting as watching a very slow turtle cross the cobble street of the village. Not at all memorable. It’s painful even thinking about it, Joshua really needed to work on his social skills. “So,” Joshua begins, ignoring all his doubts currently swarming in the back of his mind. “How have you’ve been, if I didn’t ask you that already?” He started out, like growing a pair out of nowhere. It hit him just then if he wanted to be an investigating reporter, to actually work for the Daily Prophet he needed to do better in asking questions. Questions, even this hard he really needed to step up his game with asking them. At the same time, he has to remember this was very personal and Leda's feelings matter. Joshua has to find a good medium that works for the both of them.

Leda breathed a sigh of relief she didn't know she was carrying when Josh sat down beside her finally. It felt weird when he was hovering above her and he seemed intent on sticking around anyway. Maybe he was just looking for company too. As Joshua asked how she was doing, she wanted to tell him that she was fine, like anyone else who asked she'd probably just brush it away. But the truth was that she wasn't fine. She'd certainly lost herself this year, sometimes she didn't really know what she believed anymore and focusing on the reason for it just made the Head Girls heart hurt. "Busy.. tired.." she started, turning back to her page to doodle at the top of it as she spoke. She had a lot to run, not just with the paper but quidditch and her duties too. "It stops me thinking about Olive.. most of the time." she admitted a little more quietly. Thinking that Josh may have found it awkward to hear she glanced up to him to try and work out his body language. Graduating was going to be both a break and another new worry to contend with. She didn't know why she wasn't just telling Josh that she was fine. Maybe it was because they were so close to the end of the semester, after which she would probably never see him again, that how much did it matter what she said? She sighed, "I just wish I could stop feeling the constant guilt," she added. It was always with her no matter what she did, and if Leda didn't keep herself distracted then it was incredibly overwhelming.

Joshua nodded, understandably. Seventh year had really did a number on him as far as his physical and mental well being goes. It had been a challenging year, he didn't know how he had manage to survive far without breaking down. He also expect losing someone takes a toll on one in more than one way possible. How does she do it? To be able to sit there and formulate a simple thought, he wonders how is she able to do it. He turns to face the redhead rather impressed with the head girl's willpower to continue, to move on a head. Then, what he didn't expect was this vulnerability side of Leda to show. Like she had been walking on eggshell this entire time, and it was beginning to be, to feel a little too much. "Don't," he spoke up, surprise that he did. His introverted soul wouldn't hold him back from being silence. He push back on his normal ways, attempting to branch out from his comfort zone. "I mean, it's not your fault. Why do you feel guilty? I don't understand," Joshua sincerely questions the head girl. Unless somehow or some way she cause this terrible death to happened, he didn't understand the guilt she harvest from her sister's death.

Leda wasn't sure what Joshua meant when he said don't. Don't what? Don't feel it? Well heck if she could, sign her up. Leda didn't feel this way because she wanted to, although his follow up question made a bit more sense. Only Zennon knew why she felt guilty all the time after catching her in tears in the Quidditch shed. To everyone else the Head Girl had been putting on a face, one that for the most part she seemed to get away with. The blonde sighed, what the he!l. "Olive brought me up okay, we didn't have "normal" parents so everything I knew, I knew it because of her. A couple of years ago she sort of, started leaving me out of things, she didn't tell me she was getting engaged, she didn't tell me she was having a baby, not until those things were very developed." she said, thinking back to the moment she'd found out, stood in the house with Olive and West and Pho, hearing that they were becoming a new family. It would have been one without her no doubt. "I got mad at her. It was like, everything I did drove her away even more. The last time we spoke it was an argument, and well, I can't get that time back." she couldn't focus too long on that afternoon, the last few hours she'd spent with her sister was with Leda holding a grudge over her head, believing that Olive truly didn't care about her anymore. "I was wrong but I can't go back," she shrugged, "and there were so many signs. I had a reading in Ancient Runes which I looked back over and could have sworn would have fortold it, but I hadn't been paying attention. I had to speak to Professor Josephs for a second opinion, but now I can't even see the point in the subject if the outcomes are so different." Leda was like a broken tap. As soon as she'd started, it was pouring out of her with no way of stopping it. The Slytherin turned a little more in her seat to face Joshua, "Every time I look in the mirror I am reminded that she's gone." It was why Leda hated her red hair more than ever. It was Olive's face that she saw staring back at her. "I see people, throwing what they have away, their time and their friendships and it's so, stupid. I can't do anything because I didn't even see it until it was too late, how would they?" There were tears in Leda's eyes as she relayed the year as best as she could onto the Ravenclaw, who probably hadn't expected quite the story. "All I can feel is the guilt, that I didn't realise sooner, I didn't stop it, I.." Leda was swiping at her cheeks again, angrily trying to stop crying. "I just want it to stop."

It's like a river plunging through a deteriorating dam. He asked and this is what resulted from him asking. The weight of the water seeps through the cracks, there is no stopping it. Pressure, pressure, too much pressure. Leda did not hold back any of her feelings. And that was good, right? Joshua sat hooked on every word she spoke, seeing her go through a roller coaster of emotions. It's sad, it's heart breaking. The beginning of what she said sounded so much like his own upbringing. Joshua and Jenna were raised by their tia, Joshua never knew of his parents. He was three when they died from dragonpox, at least that's what his tia has told them all their lives. And for a very long time he believed it up until last year. There was some inconsistency with stories she tells them about their parents. The timeline usually didn't add up, it's like tia was hiding the truth from them and Joshua didn't understand why. Joshua shook his head, he couldn't focus on his tia's lies. His attention went back to Leda. By the end she was tearfully crying, asking for the pain to stop. For the hurt, all that was happening to her to stop. In that moment of sadness he grabs Leda by the arms, first securing his hands around her elbows before he quickly moves in to what many would considered a kiss. His hands traveled away from her elbows to the side of her nice, soft skin wet with tears. Otherwise, he imagine it would be nice to kiss. He wasn't sure what he was doing, what he just did but somewhere in the back of his mind it felt...right. She's hurting, to Joshua he felt as though he was making the hurt go away...Helping the hurt go away, helping the hurt to stop...

Leda wasn't exactly close to Joshua, so she didn't really know why she felt okay spilling everything that was going through her head to him. It wasn't like telling Zennon. It was almost like Joshua wasn't connected in that he could be considered a journal, somewhere she could unload her emotions and her thoughts without worrying that it was going to affect him too much. At least, that's what she had to convince herself. The Head Girl didn't know what the Ravenclaw's reaction would have been either, but as he took her elbows, she was looking up through tear stained cheeks, watching his movements. She closed her eyes just in time for him to lean forward to kiss her, running his hands against her face. This wasn't exactly something Leda had a lot of experience in, nor what it something she'd had the energy or time to bother about, but right now in that moment it was as though Joshua was literally taking her breath away. It took a few seconds before Leda could react, but she began to relax a little, feeling a little awkward with her hands and eventually deciding that wrapping them around his waist was probably the safest option. Kissing him wasn't the same as kissing Mervyn or Luna. Those had been so brief she barely remembered it, but it was as though she wanted to get lost right now in whatever was happening, to distract herself from the world around her. The Slytherin was kissing him back gently, just enjoying it for what it was, and for the comfort of having someone beside her.

Luxen was only a first year and wasn't even a part of Hogwarts Monthly since he had better things to do with his time than write silly articles. He did however understand the power the media held over people and after spending the majority of year at Hogwarts and among his own kind, one thing had become very clear to him. Wizarding standards were not what they used to be and someone needed to address it. He had spent the majority of the day writing an article submission and the latter half, looking around the school for the Editors of the school's newspapers. Having heard from an older Ravenclaw student that they had been spotted in the student lounge, Luxen immediately went with his article request to speak with them.

Entering the lounge he could only roll his eyes at what he saw. "Is this what we're supposed to be doing with our free time? Guess I have something to look forward too" Luxen said loudly and snidely to the two older students. This was exactly why someone like him was needed to step up and call out what was wrong with the wizarding world. Instead of snogging all over the school like floozies, they could have been helping the next batch of witches and wizards. Luxen was sure he would have behaved much more respectably if he was Head Boy. "If you don't mind working I have a suggestion for the newspaper" Luxen added in a cold tone to the older pair.

Joshua instantly melted into Leda’s soft, wonderful lips. It wasn’t lustful, or anything in nature. He could sense the genuine feeling of it all behind the kiss and he’d be lying to himself if he wanted the kiss to end. And then it happened through no fault of either of them, Joshua pulls away from Leda quickly apologizing even if he wasn’t sorry for what transpired here. He kissed the hurt away, that’s what was going through his mind until they were interrupted by a younger student. “Ah?” Joshua scratched the back of his neck, actually looking over the younger boy rather annoyed. “The club fair event passed already. Try pitching your suggestions to the new club leader next year, I’m sure she won’t mind listening to them,” Joshua kept his tone in check and reserved. Totally not the way he was responding in his head, but he can appreciate the interest for the school newspaper. There needs to be more of those that were eager like the boy to join to keep the newspaper club continuing for many years to come.

"Of course you'd rather snog than work" Luxen said coldly not waiting for the Head girl to respond. He had not spent the day working just to be pushed aside by someone that was obviously more interested than making out and was just making an excuse to push him aside. It was in fact the reason for his article submission and made his desire to be heard all the more stronger. "Waiting for the club fair next year is pointless since I have no interest in actually joining Hogwarts Monthly, however it shouldn't keep me from being able to contribute something that is important for the wizarding world now should it?" Luxen said smartly.

If this was how their members operated than why would anyone have a desire to join. "Newpapers are allowed to print articles from outsiders are they not?" he added to the pair as he held out the article he'd written. It had taken him more than a week of research along with reading 'Magical Schools of the Wizarding World' by Joanne Krowling but it was worth it. "What harm is there from humoring an impressionable first year?" Luxen said to both of the students.

The Rise and Fall of Wizarding Standards an Outsider’s View

By Luxen Silverback II

Writer’s Note: I come from a wizard and witch biologically but have spent the majority of my life living among Muggles. I had no knowledge of wizarding standards until coming to Hogwarts New Zealand and therefore have researched along with adding my personal experiences into writing this article.

Godric Gryffindor, Rowena Ravenclaw, Helga Hufflepuff, and Salazar Slytherin four of the greatest witches and wizards of their age founded a school with the desire to pass magical knowledge from one generation to the next. This is a tradition that has occurred for centuries and as part of the newest generation I must ask, would they be proud of what their hard work and dedication has become?

Instead of striving to learn new magic, we have lost magical knowledge. Instead of strengthen magical blood we have mutated it with half breeds such as Werewolves, Part Giants, and Part Goblins whose relatives would never be trusted with a wand let alone the secretes of magic. Instead of diligently pursuing new ways to make the world better we have decided to pursue clubs and foster false relationships designed to create the illusion of unity while weakening the state of magic as a whole.

Those brave enough to speak out and try to fix these things are pushed aside and silenced. Is this the world Hogwart’s Founders envisioned when they first opened their doors? I believe not, all magical blood from humans is a treasure that is meant to be protected and nourished and yet magic is not truly at the forefront of educational standards which in turn has led to a fall that has only snowballed throughout the years. Professors prize and teach mediocrity over excellence because one is ‘nicer’ than the other. Soon they may even try to allow Squibs to attend the magical schools just so that they don’t feel ‘left out’.

One might expect the Ministry to take a more active role in ensuring educational standards improve but instead they seem to be preoccupied with other concerns. As a student, I say the education of young witches and wizards should always take the highest priority. The students come to school to learn Magic not to attend dances, pride events, or wheelbarrow races. The great witches and wizards of old would probably be sick to their stomachs if they saw what has befallen the legacy they left behind. We the students must take an active role in rejecting the falling standards if we are to stop the trend from getting worse. Those unable to cope should be removed, those that are not human should be removed, and those that wish to weaken the powers of magic must be removed at all costs.

The Japanese Mahoutokoro School of Magic is the smallest of the magical schools and yet has a tradition of producing some of the finest witches and wizards in the world. They use special Robes that clearly show one another their levels of magic. This is because they are not afraid of hurting feelings, they do not punish the exceptionally unique but encourage it forcing the other students to try and emulate. The students begin learning magic at the age of seven rather than eleven and are magically bound to the Japanese Wizarding Code through their uniforms. The Western Wizards could learn a lot from their Eastern counterparts even if not all should be adapted.

Immediate action is required to address the fall in magical standards. Those that agree must make their voices heard and not be afraid of being ostracized. We owe it to the high standards in which our school was based upon to fight back and stop the diseases that threaten to destroy true magic. Only then can we be sure that the four founders of Hogwarts can rest and be proud of what they have brought into this world.

It was nice to be able to feel something that wasn't a heavy weight in her chest, even if it was only for a few moments. Leda was disrupted though but another voice in the vicinity, and made the most of Josh's response to the younger boy and dried her eyes with her sleeves before turning to face him. She recognised Luxen from Slytherin, although given that he wasn't here for anything to do with their house, and he wasn't part of the paper, it took Leda a moment to understand what he was even asking of them. Josh had already told him to ask the next editor, but Luxen was persistent. "We've never had anyone who wasn't part of the club write for it before," she stated, although she was curious about what the first year had written. She dismissed the comments about snogging, rolling her eyes at his remarks. This kid barely knew them and if he had then he would have realised it was on the bottom of her priority list, he'd just managed to catch her at a rare moment. "Look, whatever it is you've got, it's about benefiting the school, not the wizarding world." The Daily Prophet would have been better placed for worldwide issues, not a school paper. The Head Girl was watching the first year though, and took his article when he offered it to the pair. It was a long article, and wasn't exactly light hearted as most of the articles she'd come across for the paper, but in truth Leda felt as though it was obvious this was written by someone who hadn't been at the school for very long. "You say that people who try to be brave are pushed aside and silenced," she said, ignoring the bits that he'd spoken about "half-breeds". The idea that someone was not of full or pure blood was irrelevant in this day and age, and if Luxen grew up in the school keeping that mentality then he'd run into more trouble than just her. "Well, that's clearly not true." She was proof of it. "Besides, if you're not even willing to join the club in the first place, are you really doing everything to make yourself heard?" she asked, a frown on her face as she looked back up to the Slytherin. The article had gone into detail about Hogwarts not wanting to leave certain people behind, as though the school was in some kind of constant competition. In seven years Leda hadn't come across someone who still had the medieval views that some people were better suited to be wizards and witches than others. "If I were you, I'd stop taking your research material from outdated writers," she sent the boy a fake smile, handing him back the article. "Let's just hope that you don't need the help of any of these people that you don't consider a "treasure," hmm?"

The boy had the cojones to be addressing them in that manner. Look at that, he forced Joshua to come up with a word in Spanish to describe this strange encounter. Joshua didn't took the article from the boy. He left it up to Leda to read what the boy had written. The decision was entirely up to her if she wanted to entertain the younger student. It was evident after the reading the article, Leda wasn't all too pleasant over the content written. With furrowed brows, Joshua glanced over at the boy and back at Leda. "It's good that you have an interest in writing, but as I've stated already, the club event past. I urge to you join next year when there's a fair. Perhaps you can get to know our newest editor, Nell Wright in the meantime," Joshua tells the boy. "We don't ever publish outside material, it's a school based newspaper so things are run a bit differently than your average newspaper," Joshua calmly tells the boy. Joshua is hoping that will be more than enough to hold off the young first year until next year. Poor Nell, she'll have her hands full dealing with someone like this kid. He's comes off quite intense, Joshua can't imagine Nell having it in her to push back on someone like him.

"Not true eh? your trying to silence me now" Luxen said boldly to the head girl, It seemed obvious that these two just wanted to get back to locking lips rather than take him and his article more seriously. He had to admit, however that Leda had a point about not making himself fully heard if he remained simply on the outside. Luxen could have just gone around the school and plastered the article all over the place but that would have been counter productive in the end. The true mark of a greatness was to overcome the obstacles 'within' the system rather than waving a sign on the outside like some crazy Hufflepuff he knew.

He stiffened slightly as he spoke his next words "You do have a point I must admit, I will consider joining the paper next year" Luxen admitted. It left a sour taste in his mouth that needed to be washed out with something. "Though if I ever found myself in need of help from a Werewolf or a part human, I'd hope to be killed before even thinking of asking" Luxen said coldly as he turned to leave the two. He was sure they wanted to continue whatever disgusting acts he had likely interrupted. He didn't care about blood purity among humans, all magical blood whether it came from muggles or not was magical blood though the idea of mixing human magical blood with that of a creature was even more disgusting than whatever the older students might be up too and Luxen wouldn't give up until they were properly removed from being taught magic.

OOC: Poor Nell look what you did lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back