Quaffles and Newbies

Jean Snow

Wand
Straight 14 Inch Sturdy Elm Wand with Demiguise Hair Core
More and more each day, the fact that he was a seventh year and soon to leave the school hit Jean Snow. The thought was startling. Jean had never been fond of classes, so he knew he wouldn’t miss them. Knowing that you wanted to play professional quidditch from an early age sort of made classes pointless. But, he would absolutely miss the castle and its secret spaces. What he would miss most of all were all of the memories he’d created with his family, his friends, and especially his girlfriend. He’d also miss being part of the Gryffindor team. Jean had heard from family that playing pro quidditch was a far cry from being part of a school team in more than just the skill level. It was a lot more competitive all around and players only looked out for themselves, he’d heard. So, he was definitely going to miss what he’d been a part of here. The last two years had been pretty annoying, but even then, he’d managed to find his group to commiserate and complain with. And today, he’d thought to pass that along.

The entire team was meant to be on the field for practice in a short amount of time, but Jean had invited the alternate Chasers to show up early. One of them would be taking over his position next year, and he wanted to make sure that they’d do him proud. He also wanted to put them through their paces, not wanting them to think that quidditch was all fun. It was a lot of hard work. With his gear already on, Jean sat on a bench, his broom on his lap as he ran a rag over it, shining it while he waited. Jean loved his broom, not as much as he loved his girlfriend, but close, and he took really good care of it.

Becoming alternate chaser for the Gryffindor Quidditch Team was a less wondrous revelation than Zara thought it would be. Don't be mistaken, she was absolutely elated of her success and grateful for the opportunity that she received; after all, she was in her first year and Quidditch at Hogwarts was a second year and up sport, but she was still shocked that Lucas didn't get to be on the team as well. Especially since that Scarlet girl in their year got to be a beater on the starting lineup, a position which Luke was aiming for as well. In the end, she supposed the fact that the girl was a Frost helped mightily, and who could expect any less than ultimate prowess on the pitch? She was excited to get to watch the girl play, not having the chance to during the tryouts. Zara herself wasn't one for the beater position-- too much pain and violence for her own liking, but she admired anyone who could pull it off.

With all this in mind, Zar made her way over to the Quidditch Pitch for a practice with Leo, the other alternate chaser; and Jean Snow, the captain himself. Her protection gear already strapped on, along with her bag and borrowed school broom tucked tightly in her grip, Zara was absolutely ready for this practice. Apparently, she had to turn up early to go over her position, but that didn't bother Zara as it meant more time in the air. Although she had to admit that Jean looked kind of intense, the young girl's utter shamelessness and lack of self-preservation prevented any fear from getting to her head. If Jean was Julia Fischer or some other great violinist then she would probably freak. But this was Quidditch so the circumstances were different.

"Hello Cap!" Zar greeted cheerfully, resisting the urge to give a mock salute. She just got on this team, she didn't want to get kicked off. Slumping off her sports bag and laying down her broom, she got started on simple leg and arm stretches, by way of warm up. She wasn't exactly sure what the harm was in not stretching but warm-ups were supposed to be important and professional, and Zara liked to feel both important and professional. "I'm not late, am I?" Although never sure of the time, Leo wasn't here yet, so she figured she was alright. "What're we going to be doing today?" She dropped to the ground in to a simple splits as she continued her stretches, looking towards the captain as she spoke. Yes, stretching was important, but it was her humble guess that the captain was pretty important too. Plus, he was old and big. Zara tried to listen to anyone old and big and in charge of her. Mostly.

Looking up, Jean watched as Zara drew closer, greeting him. Her persistence had both annoyed him immensely and earned her some respect. It was part of the reason why she'd made the team. If she was that persistent for the opportunity to try out for the house team without any guarantee of a position, he couldn't wait to see what she would do when it came time to play and she needed to score. As she began to stretch, Jean figured he should probably as well. He'd done some stretches and a few laps already, but there was no reason why he couldn't stretch some more. "You're on time which means you're late" Jean replied as he pulled his arm across his body, stretching it at the shoulder. The prefect hadn't ever been a stickler for time, but that had changed recently as there never seemed to be enough time to do everything he had planned for the day.

"Today we're going to work on speed" Jean stated as he switched arms. "It's one thing to play pick up games at home and another to play them here" and even another to play pro, he added silently. Jean wasn't trying to be rude. To him, these were just facts. It didn't matter how good any of the new members of the team thought they were. Compared to everyone else already on the team and the people on the other teams who'd been playing for years and years, they were still newbies. And only those who accepted that would get better. That's how Jean had gotten better. He'd been able to admit that there were people on the team better than him and had worked hard to catch up. "So you'll need the practice to get up to speed" he added. "Let me know when you're ready" Jean stated, mounting his broom, one foot slightly bent so he could get a good push off the ground.

Zara pouted at the contradicting remark, but bit back a snarky reply. Again, she had only just made it to the team and she didn't want to be kicked off. Not after all the begging she had gone through and what a hassle it had been. She'd respond to him like how she would respond to her mother when she would make similar comments (not that Jean was anything like her mother, ew). In other words she quickly shook off the annoyance, opting to nod and smile just the same-- her best weapon was her unwavering optimism, after all. "Aye aye, sir!" And hopefully she didn't sound sarcastic either.

Speed? Already they were tackling one of her weaker points! Zar knew she wasn't any starling speedster; sure, she could hold her own but she wasn't about to leave anyone in the dust. But that just meant she would have to work on it! Zar nodded in response, finishing up the last of her stretches as she went to pick up her broom. "Truthfully," she admitted with a shrug, swinging her leg over her room ready for take off, "I've never really played with anyone but my dad. So practicing with a team will be kind of different, but don't count me out! I'll get to your level one day for sure!" Her father was the one who taught her everything she knew, a chaser during his time at Beauxbatons. And Zar figured that was enough to give her a good start-- with some training surely she could keep up with the rest! She made it this far, didn't she? "So keep up with you, ye?" Zar tried to confirm the activity. Perhaps, just to aim high, she would try her best to most definitely beat him. Even if she knew she couldn't, maybe that would push her to do better? It was like practicing at a faster tempo, trying to capture your limits. When she had collected her focus and was ready to kick off, Zar gave a thumbs up to confirm she was ready. Time to see what she was made out of.

Her unbridled youthfulness was a bit much for Jean, but he appreciated the enthusiasm and what seemed to be the beginnings of dedication. He hoped it would continue. As she admitted to not having played much other than with her father, Jean raised an eyebrow. That news surprised him quite a bit. “Is your father pro?” he asked, his accent slight on the words. “You flew quite well for someone without much experience. That’s good” he conceded the compliment to the first year girl, a brief smile on his face. Really though, if she had flown that well without much practice, he could only imagine how good she would be with consistent practice with the team. They served to push each other, and he knew that if she stuck with it, she’d improve immensely.

As he got ready to kick off, Jean let out a hearty laugh at Zara’s belief that she could keep up with him. “Merlin no!” he kept on chuckling. “If you try to keep up with me, you’ll probably break your neck. I don’t think Kingsley would take too kindly to me offing one of her first years before we’ve even had our first practice” he smirked. “We’ll go at your pace, and gradually get faster. Alright, enough talk. Let’s go” he explained, stressing the gradual. With that, Jean kicked off, flying higher than the first years normally did during their lessons but much lower than they did for games.

OOCOut of Character:
Sorry for the delay. I was working on a grant proposal for work and my final exam for a certificate program I’m in this wknd in addition to other stuff going on. Those two things are done, so I’ll be back to a more regular pace soon.

Zara wouldn't exactly say she had very little experience with flying per se, but proper quidditch instead. Although she had never played a full and proper game with a team, she spent a lot of time flying when she was younger if for nothing more than as a defiant act against her highstrung mother, who hated to see her fly for fear of her getting hurt. And the two of them tended to react irrationally when angry. "Thank you!" Zara spoke, beaming at the compliment. And decidedly Zara liked Jean, because he was tall, played quidditch, and now he complimented her too! "Not for a while, no. Long before I was born he played for Canada," Because a number over there spoke French and had great poutine, he claimed, "But he wanted to do something way more dangerous and decided to become a cursebreaker." Zara hummed happily, happy to have a chance to talk about her family but not realizing how odd that sounded. But they were Gryffindors so she would think him to understand-- they were supposed to be the courageous house or whatever.

At Jean's laugh Zara faked a moue, although it quickly dissolved in to a giggle once she realized how silly she actually sounded. This was their seventh year quidditch captain, after all. But who was Zara if not confident? "Fine. I guess I wouldn't like breaking my neck. But that would be pretty hardcore, wouldn't it?" She'd get faster in no time, just he watch. And with a nod Zara was up in the air as well, rising up to the same altitude. And then they were off and Zara leant forward as to push the broom to the fastest she could go without having. It wasn't too fast but it was a start. At 4'9" Zara wasn't sure if this aided or slowed her, but she would work with it just the same... Not that she had a choice.

OOCOut of Character:
No problem at all :D Wishing you the best of luck for your certificate program, and everything else you have going on!

Jean had suspected as much when she confirmed that her father had played pro. If he was the only person she practiced with and she was as good as she was, that was the only explanation that crossed his mind. He was glad to discover he was right. That made two students on the team whose parents had played quidditch. If their kids were anything like them, Jean knew that Gryffindor quidditch would be in good hands for a while. He was excited about this season, his final season. "Cursebreakers are the coolest" Jean admitted. It was a risky job, one that Jean admired even if he knew it wasn't for him. In talking with her now, Jean realized he actually liked the kid.

The captain had no trouble keeping up with the first year, and he wasn't even leaning forward far on his broom yet. This was one of his favorite things to do, just fly through the air, the breeze beating against his cheeks. "Pick your legs up a little more" he suggested, wanting her to streamline herself a bit more. She flew well, and Jean gave her a look that told her she could fly faster if she wanted to.

Zara was glad that Jean admitted cursebreakers were great because her father was the coolest and she would be upset if anyone thought otherwise. However they seemed to be off to a good start of practice and when Zara flew up in the air, she wanted to try and do her absolute best. To both impress Jean and herself, because she knew she could do better if she practice and really really tried. Not that she wasn't already really really trying, but there was always room for improvement. Point made, Jean suggested that Zara pick up her legs more and Zara complied, surprised that although she knew she wasn't going shockingly faster (like she hoped) but she felt more comfortable as she flew, as though she was flying with less resistance. Catching Jean's look she threw a happy one back before regaining focus. "Cool! What happened?" Zara asked, trying to pick up a little bit of speed. Jean hardly looked as if he was trying --which Zara supposed he wasn't-- and was all of a sudden glad that he was captain. She wondered if he was planning on going professional, but refrained from asking as she knew a break in her concentration could end up in her veering off course and dying and injuring herself.

Zara took instruction well too, which was pretty useful. The last thing he needed was to have to deal with ego from a first year, but she didn’t seem to have one, certainly not a bad one anyway. Jean watched as she went just a bit faster, a smile on his face as he enjoyed the speed that they were going. He brushed his hair back with one hand, a strand of it was skirting around his eyes, and the teenager was reminded that he needed a haircut. Raising his voice as the speed was causing a slight wind to howl around them, Jean spoke. “You’re streamlined a bit more. It’s not as easy to do when you’ve got the quaffle with you, but if you’re trying to keep up with the Chaser who does have it or if you’re trying to get yourself in position for a pass, it’s useful to remember this position.”

Jean held up a finger and then nose-dived towards the Gryffindor’s practice chest. Without getting off of his broom, the captain opened it and grabbed the quaffle, glad that the bludgers were still secure. They fought like mad against their harnesses, but the straps of leather held. Kicking the lid back on with his foot, Jean caught up to Zara easily enough. “Here. Practice flying with this now” he stated, tossing the quaffle to her with little more prep than that.

Zara tried as best as she could to listen to Jean's answer, adjusting to the change in speed. She could feel her ponytail whip back from the wind and resisted the urge to playfully shake her head around to feel the way it would move with the wind and speed. Instead she nodded to Jean's words, not knowing if he saw the action but feeling that he knew she understood.

She was doing her best not to get distracted but that was part of Zara's nature, and every little aspect of flying was so enjoyable and hella distracting. Heck, Jean's hair was slightly distracting, and Zara wondered what it would look like pinned back with one of her cute little clips. But she quickly shook off the distraction, attention diverted when she saw Jean take a dive. Not wanting to slow down just yet, she waited until Jean returned and then she was forced to, as he so suddenly tossed her the quaffle. Letting out a bit of a surprised squeak, Zar's reflexes didn't fail her as she caught it with only a slight fumble and secured it under her arm. As Jean mentioned, it was harder to streamline as much as she was with the quaffle and she lowered her legs, taking her speed back with the action. "Um, is there anything I should remember when I do have the quaffle? There had to be some weird technique that she didn't know of. Her one-on-ones with her father were more fun than technique focused, and she wouldn't be surprised if there was actually quite a lot.

Leo had no idea someone could make him this late. It was unbelievable! And as much as he enjoyed his brother's company he was not planning on being late to practice with Jean and Zara, as an alternate chaser of the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Leonardo was supposed to be early actually, he had been woken up by his alarm and when he checked it, it was set a whole hour early - giving him plenty of time to eat breakfast and head down to the Quidditch Pitch. However, Alessio wanted to have a 'little chat' with him in Italian about his grades and Leo had tried (and obviously failed) to tell his dear older brother that they would be able to have this conversation later. He knew his grades were important, but so was Quidditch! Besides, he even told his Hufflepuff brother about it so he should have pointed it out to Leo when he saw him, not distract him. Ugh. So much for having a helpful older brother who was meant to watch over him and remind him of things...occasionally. When it was necessary. Al had not even let him speak and tell him he was going to be late. Of course, his brother didn't care, as it was proven by the fact that he was only making his way outdoors now.

By the time he arrived at the grounds, he was panting. He took deep breaths and closed his eyes briefly to steady his breathing before making a run for it and jogging to where Zara and Jean seemed to be starting without him. He took a quick glance at his watch. Uh oh. The Gryffindor was going to be in so much trouble. He sighed, but after a few moments of watching Zara, unable to interrupt because he was fascinated by her skills (where had she learned to do all of that anyway?) Leo's excitement made his face split into a big grin. He decided it was about time to make his presence known. He really hoped Jean was not in a bad mood. Either way, Leo wouldn't be fazed whether he shouted or not - he experienced worse with his parents so it wouldn't be a big deal. Italian short-tempered parents to add to that. However, he did not want to be kicked off the team as he only got the position as of recently. The second year lived for flying, Quidditch was his passion and he wasn't just about to ruin it. "Hi - I'm really sorry about my lateness, I..." He trailed off, scratching the back of his head and was at a loss for words which was not all that usual for the guy. He shrugged helplessly, smiling guiltily at Jean as well as Zara because he was late. He figured blaming his brother wouldn't help anyone so instead he dismissed it. "Never mind. It's probably not going to dismiss how late I am. I'm not entirely sure what the consequences are but I'm ready to do anything for the team whatever it takes to do it." He sounded sincere as he spoke, and he meant what he said.

He squinted a little, trying to find out how much on earth he missed. "What did I miss?" Leo wasn't ambitious, but he waited patiently for instructions. Even if it had him leave this practice and wait until the next one. He secretly hoped he'd still be able to join the two up in the air, otherwise he would never forgive himself for his reckless behaviour. Although it was mostly Alessio's fault, Leo would kick himself if he got thrown off the team so early on. He would blame himself, well, partially for his actions. Quidditch was something he was not about to give up and he was going to show his parents he was capable of doing something useful. Well, to him the sport was very useful. It was important in Leo's life and he hadn't even played a proper match yet.

Jean hid a chuckle as she nearly didn't catch the quaffle. What was important was that she did even though she slowed. The captain let out a soft sigh. This was why they practiced. "Plenty, but for now let's just concentrate on getting you to speed again." He flew behind her. "Fly and try to score when you get to the scoring area" he uttered, his tone a bit more harsh than it had been, mostly because he'd just noticed that Leonardo had decided to show up.

Turning, Jean flew towards the ground, eyes narrowed as the younger boy launched into an explanation. "Everything. There's only ten minutes before the rest of the team is due" Jean growled. At least the guy hadn't wasted his time with what was no doubt going to be a lame explanation. "You're cleaning up the pitch after practice. Now, go and give me 5 laps all the way around the pitch while I keep working with Zara who arrived on time." He'd let someone else deal with crazy bludgers. Jean pushed off into the air, catching up with Zara.

Zara had the courtesy to blush slightly at her fumble, knowing she probably looked a little unprepared and silly. But Jean wasn't mocking, which she appreciated. Well, she supposed it was kind of his job. She nodded in response to getting her speed back up again, trying to position herself more comfortably so she could lean forward as well as streamline a bit more. It seemed to be working, and Zara was so focused she wasn't even aware of the slight change in tone that she heard Jean direct towards her, only thinking about his instructions. Trying her best and almost achieving at building back up to her previous speed she flew towards the hoops and took aim for one of the further ones, realizing it was a risk since she wasn't used to the speed but knowing it would be harder for a keeper to block the shot. The quaffle soared in and she smiled at the success, turning to see Jean's reaction but realizing he was no longer there. When did...?

And then she looked down and it all made sense to her. Although naturally her hand went up to send a friendly wave towards Leo, it slowly lowered as she realized the situation. She watched for a moment as Jean confronted Leo, shooting him a sympathetic look although she was almost sure he hadn't caught it. She was sure he had a reason... But considering it was their first practice, it was some terrible timing. Instead of lingering she went to retrieve the quaffle, bringing it back under her arm before flying back a respectable distance from the hoop so that she could try once more, all while keeping her legs up and body low. "Hey, I think I'm getting the hang of it," Zara smiled as Jean returned before looking back towards the hoops. "Say I have the perfect opportunity... How far from the hoops should I attempt to score?" She was curious as she assessed the distance between her and the hoops, trying to imagine a possible game situation. Difficulty certainly intensified when it was an actual game.

"It looks like you are" he nodded, appreciative of the work she was putting in. If Leonardo had started his laps, Jean paid him no attention. He watched Zara's technique, noting that she had taken his suggestions well.

"Well, you have to get into the scoring area"
he pointed his finger in an arc, showing her where it was. "And then, it depends on where you feel comfortable. I like to shoot as soon as I get into the scoring area, but I've probably got a lot more strength behind my throw than you will. You might want to get a little closer" he explained, hoping he made sense to her. "But, of course, it'll depend where the Keeper covers. Most of them hover in the middle, but some like Finch I've noticed favors her left."

Zara smiled at the acknowledgement of her hard work, glad that she was getting the hang of things. Although she felt bad for Leo, she was focused on making progress at the moment and had to tried to dismiss it. She was a quick learner when it came to sports, and though she mostly specialized in tricks and endurance, she was sure with time she could shape up and become a much better chaser. Jean would be gone next year, which would mean she would have the chance to become an actual chaser for the team. Deciding that would be her goal for the next year, Zara thought she would have to come out much more on her own to practice if she wanted to get down some better technique.

Familiar with the scoring area, she nodded as Jean continued to explain to her scoring tactics. As small and young as she was, she understood that although she thought she had a pretty good throw, it would definitely not measure up to the captain's. "Got it, I'll try aiming for the far right one this time." Keeping in mind everything he just told her. Getting in to the scoring region, she flew for just a little bit longer before making a sharp throw towards her desired hoop, hoping to have timed it perfectly as she kept on flying. She liked to think she was fairly good at measuring distance and time as well, thanking her musical talents for helping her keep on tempo, per se. Zara watched as the quaffle flew in, though to not the exact one she was aiming for. "I could do better," Zara sighed as she went to collect the quaffle once more, looking over to Jean. "Was that alright?" As in, was it a passable attempt. Zar knew that at least she felt like she was flying well, which she hoped showed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back