Put on your dancing shoes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley Smith

Tonight was the night. The Yule ball had finally come around and it seemed to have been the topic of lot of conversations for a while now. Riley had been looking forward to it for a long time and had been planning who he would take and all those sorts of things. It had not taken him more than a few second to decide who his date would be, he would always opt for his best friend. The only thing that he could not decide on. Casual or formal. Usually it would not have been a problem for him as he didn't like to be too formal but he kind of like Cyndi in more than one way, a secret which he would not be sharing with her, so it would make him look better if he went formal. He sighed as he looked at himself in the mirror. Because e had not decided what to wear after swapping and changing from all different clothes he as exactly wearing much He had narrowed it down to a tuxedo and a blazer with a white shirt and dark jeans.

After finally deciding on hat to wear Riley made his way to the great hall. He walked out of the Professors common room and down the corridor. He past a few students along the way. Everyone looked good and dressed up. At least he would just blend in a bit more now. Still didn't mean he felt comfortable wearing this. The last time he had looked this formal was at his wedding. Not that married life had lasted long for him. It was more of a slap and a tickle but at least he had moved on with his life since then. As he reached the entrance to the great hall he stopped. He wanted to walk in with Cyndi so he would just wait here for her. He could hear some soft music playing and here were a few people already dancing. He wondered if Mark and Logan would already be in there. He knew Mark would be all dressed up, he had never missed an opportunity to look fancy. Riley ran his hand through his hair and mad sure it was all in place as he waited.

Cyndi was never as excited for the Yule ball as she had been when she'd been a student herself, but she was looking forward to enjoying the night, especially once Riley had asked if he could be her date. She hadn't been sure if he would be going to the ball at all and she was rather glad that she would be able to enjoy the night with her best friend. Glad that he'd asked her with a fair amount of notice, Cyndi had ordered herself a dress from a wizarding fine clothing catalogue and she was pleased when it arrived in the mail. As she put it on and pinned her hair up, Cyndi couldn't help but wonder what Cameron was doing right now. She couldn't believe that she had actually spoken to him the other day and they'd been able to be honest with each other. What it would mean for the future was unclear but she was glad to have let him know her feelings.

With another quick look at her makeup job, Cyndi slipped on a pair of black stilettos and left her quarters and headed downstairs, smiling at her students and complimenting several on their choice of clothing. They all looked so excited and Cyndi wouldn't lie. She was too. The Yule ball and the holidays were usually her favorite time of year. She loved the smell of gingerbread and pine cones and all of the stuff that was usuallly associated with the Christmas holiday. When she saw Riley, Cyndi smiled and held up a hand to wave as she went down the final few steps, stepping carefully in her heels. "Professor Smith...you look quite dashing this evening" she said as she stopped in front of him. She chuckled, not used to being so formal with her friend, but they were at work. "Too bad I don't have my camera" she smirked. "Your first Yule ball" she teased not sure if he'd gone to the last one. She hadn't, but even if he had, this was his first Yule ball with her.

Riley wasn't waiting for long before he heard the familiar voice of his best friend. Turning his head to her direction a grin placed itself on his face. She looked better than he had expected. The dress really suited her but she had always had a good sense of fashion so it wasn't too suprised by that fact. "Yeah I know. Kill me now." He said with a laugh. "You look beautiful as always Professor Weasley." He said biting his lower lip. He was so not used to calling her by her work name. Professor made her seem so professional. His face turned as she said to take a picture. He already felt uncomfortable enough wearing a Tuxedo with out anyone adding to it. "Yeah yeah what ever." He said in a hushed tone. "I went to the yule ball every year when i was a student. I even used to have more than one date." He said with a wink.

Turning around to face the great hall again he held out his arm for her to take. "May I have the first dance then?" He said with a grin as he walked in. Students were everywhere and dancing with each other. It was a nice atmosphere to be around. It was just like how it used to be when he was a student, not that it had been a long time ago. Only two years ago.

Cyndi chuckled and then smiled as Riley complimented her outfit. "I try, I try" she said chuckling as she grabbed onto his arm so they could head inside. They were going to be chaperones this evening, making sure that none of the students were snogging during the dance or trying to slip things into the bowls of butterbeer and punch or getting into fights. "Please...there's no way that Hogwarts Scotland balls can compare to ours here. You have no idea the kinds of things that have happened at these Yule balls" she said with a laugh. She could easily recall the time Bruin and Ford had gotten into a fight and last year when the boys had made good on their auctioned dates as just a few of the crazy things that had happened at the balls she'd attended.

As they entered, she was pleased to see that the house elves had outdone themselves this year with the decorations. It was gorgeous and everyone seemed to be having a good time so far. "Hmm...I suppose I can make space for you" she laughed as they walked onto the dance floor. She turned to face him and placed one arm on his shoulder. Her hand was already holding his as she waited for him to lead. "By the way, before I forget...your present is under my bed. It was the only place I thought you might not look" she said. She wouldn't be heading back to her apartment after the dance since she was going straight to her parents home.

Riley nodded. He know she tried. More than she let on. Then again so did he. Riley prided himself in his appearance. You never knew what was going to happen. Walking in pace with Cyndi as they walked inside. It was going to feel a little strange, him being the person to make sure everyone behaved themselves. The person who when h was in school he hated. "Hey don't knock it until you try it. You don't know what happened a our Yule balls either." He said nudging her side slyly so it wouldn't be noticed by others. He had always been involved in the goings on in the Yule Ball. He had gotten a name from it and everything. Those were his mischievous days.

Riley grinned at her comment. "Yay. I feel special now." He said with a chuckle. Now there was a line which he had never said before and made a mental note to never be saying it again. His head tilted slightly as she spoke again. "Present?" He asked. Sure if he was a little more in tune with everything and not just the Yule ball he would have understood but Riley, like everyone, had his moments. "Ohhhh. Right yeah I get you know." He laughed as he put his spare hand on his face. "How am I even a Professor. I swear they are meant to be smarter than me" He joked as he lowered his hand again. "Well yours will be waiting for you when you get back to our place. Just like I wont be opening mine until your there." He said with a smile. He didn't want to open her present with out her there to watch, it wouldn't have felt right. Even if he as spending Christmas wit Adele and Lowan.

Cyndi smiled as Riley spoke the Yule balls that he attended, but from the expression on her face a person could tell that she really didn't believe that any Yule balls could be better than the ones she'd attended. She was too loyal to Hogwarts New Zealand and because of that she couldn't imagine any other school being better. "Why do I get the feeling that you were always in the center of the action at your Yule balls?" she asked, a smirk on her face.

As they continued to dance, Cyndi nodded eagerly and then chuckled. "You sure you want to wait? You don't have to you know" she smiled. She was eager to find out what Riley had gotten her but she knew she would have to wait until she arrived back home. "I think it's sweet that you're going to spending the day with Adele just so you can be with Lowan" she smiled. Riley loved his son so much she was sure he would do anything for the boy. "His gift is on top of my bed. I got him a magical toy car."

Riley chuckled at her comment. He thought that she knew him a little too well. Then again he probably knew her just as well. And it was a good thing, there were no secrets between the two. Well except one thing that he has never told anyone but Ryan. Thats how he wanted it to sty too. He didn't want to go to Azkaban now that he had a son to look after. He knew that Ryan was safe to tell his secret too as Riley knew that Ryan had done the same thing many times. Maybe not to that specific group of people seeing as he was a death eater but he had killed others. "Because im always the centre of attention no matte where I go." He said proudly as he spun her around with the dance. Riley loved dancing and was actually pretty good at it, if he dad say so himself.

Riley shrugged at her. He wanted to be with her when to was time to open presents. It made it more special and not to mention he wanted to spend Christmas with her too, so when she came home he would just have to have a second Christmas. "Yeah im sure. It make it a bit more special." He said taking hold of her waist. He ignored the missed heart beat as he did this and carried on dancing. "Well I just want him to have a close knit family. Not having him choose between his mum and dad. Besides with mine and Adele's history I think its best." He said to his best friend. Truth be told Riley was actually looking forward to seeing Adele. He missed her when ever he walked out of her door and if he was totally honest he still had feelings for his ex wife.

A huge grin spread across his face as Cyndi told him what she had gotten for Lowan for Christmas. He knew that he love it and probably spend all his time on it. "Wow that sounds amazing Cynd. He is going to love it too bits." He said still grinning at her. "I got him a teddy that if you press one button it changes colour and if you press the other it turns into another animal an makes the noise of that animal." Riley said excitedly. He had actually spent a bit of time on that present and had decided that it was awesome and he should get it for Lowan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back