Pratice makes perfect

Phoebe Carter

OOC First Name
Pheebz :o
There's no such thing as perfect Phoebe said to herself, her wand lying on the grass in front of her, and she sat staring at it. No matter how hard she tried she wouldn't be making the spells she needed anytime soon. She didn't possess any "power". She bet her muggle family would do better than that. She tried again. Sighing she picked up her wand, "Wingardium Leviosar" she said, her wand pointed at a small stone about 5 feet away. Nothing. She threw her wand back on the floor and started at the stone with her eyes..maybe she could do it using her mind, she half-joked to herself.

Sasha walked to the garden. She stopped in her tracks when she spotted someone. She had thought that nobody would be there, so she had decided to read there. But someone was there. She didn't have anywhere to put the book. She was afraid that that person would tease her. The girl looked a bit older than Sasha, and she didn't want to get teased. She walked a few steps quietly, hoping that the person wouldn't notice her, and if she did that she wouldn't notice the book in her hands. She stepped on a twig that made a cracking noise. No, that did not just happen, she thought. Why is it always me? Why?

Phoebe heard something break behide her, and she turned to see a girl around her own age holding a book, staring right at her. Phoebe's wavy mousey blonde hair hung around her shoulders, and she stood up, still looking at the girl. "Oh.." she said to herself, turned and picked up her wand too. "Hi?" she asked her, this girl looked a little scared. Scared of her? What's was she going to do? She shoved her wand in her robes and gave her a smile. "Are you alright? I'm Phoebe" she said.

Sasha winced as the person talked to her. She didn't seem that bad, but you couldn't be too careful.

"Uh, hi," she said. "I'm okay. Just um... using this book for homework. I mean, holding it for a friend. Yeah. I'm Sasha."

She tried hiding the cover of the book that showed that it was an enjoyment book with the first excuse. She had realized that she didn't have parchment or anything, so that wasn't going to work. Holding it for a friend might. But saying that right after blew her cover.

Phoebe stood in silence for a moment before saying, "Well, nice to meet you. I'm a second year Hufflepuff by the way." she said, hoping it would relax her. Phoebe may have been here not long, but she knew the houses had different traites. "Ive seen you round the common room. You're a first year arn't you?" she asked, walking towards her.

Sasha was a bit relieved at the fact that Phoebe was a Hufflepuff. The girl could be putting on a cover. Phoebe could turn around and make her life miserable, but the fact that she was a Hufflepuff made her doubt that a tiny bit.

"Nice to meet you, too," she said. "Sorry about that freaking out, I have had some bad experiences with um.. bullies and I've kind of always been cautious after that. I am a first year. Which makes me even more nervous with students so much older than me everywhere. Easier to pick on younger people."

She tried to smile at Phoebe, who she hoped would become a friend. After her experiences, though, she could only make a very tiny one.

"And mix that up with bad family issues and you get my life," she said, trying to explain without having to go in to the details. "Which is the reason I can't really smile. Hard to do it when you get reminded of something horrible that happened every second."

Phoebe nodded, "It's okay." Curiousity was growing more and more as ever, but she kept telling herself it was none of her buisness. "So what are you doing around here?" she asked her. There wern't that many students out at the moment, "I was praticing. It just didn't go so well.." she said, glancing back to the stick on the floor.

"Did something happen to you then? At you're primary school?" She asked. Unless her bad experience had happened in the last month it must have. "I know a third year here. Although i haven't seen him for three years" she smiled. "But i know what you mean about the older students making you nervous. Some of them fit the quote "If only looks could kill"" She smiled.

Sasha was a bit relieved that she didn't have to go in to details on her life. She knew she could tell her, but she had to make sure that Phoebe was a true friend. And since they had just met, it didn't really make them true friends.

"I was planning to... read this book," she said. "Trying to escape it actually, a friend is obsessed with it and really wants me to read it. I said that I would read it out here, but I wasn't going to. I hate reading."

When she said that she hated reading, a lump formed in her throat. It was hard having to lie to everyone. But she had to do it. If she didn't, then her life would be worse. And it was already horrible. She couldn't risk it. That wasn't an optioned. She let out a small sigh.

"Yeah, something happened in primary school," she said. "I um... got teased, I guess is the simple term. It went a bit too far, and uh.. they were doing physical things like throwing vegetables at my house. Some of those things broke the windows! And uh... my family isn't an average family, I guess you could say. My mother hates me and threatens my family members and makes them act horribly to me. So they made it seem like it was all my fault."

She was surprised at herself. She had just told someone she had just met what her life was like, the story that she never told anybody!

"I mean, I read that in a book. I like to act."

Sasha felt like it was a good response until a few seconds later, when she realized she was supposed to be someone who hated reading.

"Which I am right now! I never read, which is why I came out here, to escape reading. And my friend told me that story that was from a book. She's a reading freak."

She felt incredibly stupid. There she went, giving away all of her secrets. It was bound to happen some time, after all the lying, she had to tell the truth to someone. It was a good thing that someone didn't happen to be one of those people who tells everyone everything they hear. She hoped that Phoebe wasn't like that.

Phoebe would have been too shy to go around apreading other people's buisness. "So..you don't like reading?" she asked finally, after getting a little confused about the tales this girl was coming up with. "I like reading. There's nothing wrong with it." she added, "I mean some people might see it as boring, a waste of time but." she gave a small shrug. "No one would know anything if they didn't read" she said matter-of-factly. "Whose the friend?" she asked, trying to catch her out if she was lying.

When she heard about her family, she tried hard not to pull a face. "But that's unfair. Why would she do that to do?" she asked. Surely her family wouldn't go against her just because of what one member said, right? Phoebe thought about her own family. She'd always stayed out their way mostly.

"Fine," Sasha said. "The truth is that I love to read, but that wasn't found in a book. And nobody made me read a book. They wouldn't have to. I just keep everything a secret that people could tease me for. And.. that story about my family is true... It's just so hard to lie and I guess I just had to let that out to someone. It isn't very fair at all, but my mother has done stuff that would amaze you, in a horrible way. I'm just not supposed to be telling anybody this, though. I found out what she did and she treated me horribly, making sure I never got an opportunity to tell anyone who could do something about it. It was horrible. And I.. ran away, I guess you could say. My cousins and aunt are letting me stay with them when I'm not at Hogwarts."

She decided to tell Phoebe becafluse she just had to let it out. It was hard to lie, it really was. And Phoebe wouldn't have told anyone, at least she thought she wouldn't. Huffflepuffs were loyal, right? And they were both Hufflepuffs. Hopefully Phoebe had that trait.

Phoebe stood there almost motionless, her eyebrows high. Which story was she supposed to believe now? Sure the first had sounded strange but now she'd come up with another who knew she wasn't lying again. For now, she decided to go along with it. "Oh okay. Well just so as you know. I find it hard to talk to people, so don't worry about me erm, telling anyone or anything." she gave her a small smile and changed the topic to something safe, "So um, you like to read? I do too." she confessed, hoping to make her feel better.

Sasha felt better knowing that Phoebe wouldn't say anything about it to other people.

"Okay," she said, a small smile on her face. "I don't just like reading, I love it. The library used to be like my house, I spent more time there than anywhere else. Although I've kind of lost that privilege, trying to do well in classes and homework while trying to manage people, but I still find times to read. Those are probably the best parts of my day, when I get to read. Whoever came up with the idea of books, I thank them immensely."

She let out a small chuckle, which was very rare.

Phoebe smiled back, "Yes, i know what you mean." she knew how the library cold be inviting in ways so many students these days didn't understand. But there was just one problem with books, "If they fictional, stories, just don't get too wrapped up in them. Or the world will start to look way more gloomy around you." she said.

i dont know what else to put xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back