OOC First Name
Annabelle
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Ash Wand 14 1/4" Essence of Hair from the Tail of a Male Unicorn
Amy sat by the lake, with a book in her lap and her wand in her hand. She was trying to practice some spells, but she was struggling. Pronunciation was never a strong point for Amy, and she was suffering now because of it. Sure, learning magic was fun, but it wasn't that great when you couldn't figure anything out. Amy closed the book and sighed, a little frustrated, putting her head in her hands. She was a little hard on herself, since she had made a goal to be as good at magic as her siblings, all who had left Hogwarts before she went. She listened to the other student that walked around her, trying not to engage in conversation or make eye contact. She wasn't in the mood for talking, and she was worried she would unnecessarily snap at someone.

Sydney suspected the lake might quickly become one of her favourite spots around the grounds, it's dark, fathomless waters helping stir her writer's soul. She'd been circling the banks, thinking of a rhyme for "depths", when she tripped, not noticing the girl sitting near the shore. "Ugh, geez would you get out of the way," She snapped, scrambling to keep upright. Regaining her balance, she gave the girl a quick once over, anger and embarrassment bubbling under the surface. Her eyes landed on the girl's closed spellbook and frustrated expression, a wicked grin forming.
"You know, you're probably not going to last very long here if you're already struggling," she said matter-of-factly. Sydney had gone over their class texts books before bed last night and had already decided the school curriculum was severely lacking. If this girl couldn't manage the basic spells they'd be doling out in their first year, then she might as well give up now. Sydney was doing her a favour by warning her now.

Amy scrambled to her feet when another girl tripped over her."I'm so sorry," she said, trying to pick her book off the ground. When the girl have a grin and said that she probably wasn't going to last long since she wasn't getting the spell, Amy scowled."I just need practice," she snapped."It's a new environment. I'm not used to it." Amy tried to calm down, but her heart wasn't in it. She could do things well, only after she had learnt it and gotten it stuck in her head.

She could tell that this other girl thought very much she didn't belong, the grin gave it away from the start. Amy didn't really like people that felt they were better than her when they didn't even know her."Some people learn at different rates to others," Amy said."You shouldn't judge others you don't know." She crossed her arms over her book, almost as if she was sheilding herself from an attack.

Sydney scoffed when the girl tried to defend herself, making excuses. "I'm just trying to warn you, why so defensive? It's okay, not everyone can be great at everything, and I'm sure Hogwarts needs janitors or something too," She said smugly. It was reassuring to discover she already knew a lot more about magic than some of her classmates, especially those muggleborn kids, who were always asking such dumb questions all the time.
"Some people learn at different rates," she mimicked, "Okay, I see why they put you in Hufflepuff now, you're definitely not Ravenclaw material," Sydney had wondered why she hadn't been in Ravenclaw at first, but if Slytherin meant you were ambitious, then Sydney was going to show everyone how clever and important she was going to be. "I don't need to know you to figure that much out." She laughed, her previous embarrassment from the fright she'd gotten tripping fading away to a smug enjoyment watching the other girl squirm.

Amy glared."I'm sure Hogwarts does need janitors. How else would they clean up a personality like yours?" She sighed."Maybe Hufflepuff does suit me, it doesn't make a difference what house I'm in. Just what I make it of it." Amy could tell that this girl was enjoying the reaction she had gotten. Amy didn't like that."Anyway, I'd prefer to be in a house that suits me. I'd hate to have to pretend like I fit into a house."

It irked Sydney that the Hufflepuff didn't seem to be backing down, but she took what enjoyment she could from the other girl's frustration, trying to figure out the best way to press her buttons. She frowned when the girl used her own words as a comeback though. Not a very good comeback, but still. "Well I'm glad you're accepting your fate then, it's so tiresome seeing people who don't realize how in over their heads they are," She said dismissively. "You better be careful though, if you're too bad at magic the school will kick you out." Sydney smirked. She didn't think that was true, but she was banking on the other girl not knowing either.

Amy gave her a weird look."I don't think I've heard of anyone being kicked out. Getting extra help, maybe. Getting kicked out? I don't think so." She shrugged, faking ignorance."Maybe I just haven't heard of that happening before." She smiled. She guessed that this Slytherin girl was a pure blood, and thought that she was either half blood or muggleborn."I guess being a half blood puts me at a little bit of a disadvantage than others. But I'll just have to work harder than everyone else."

Sydney frowned. She was starting to suspect this Hufflepuff was toying with her. No one was that pleasant and blasé about their own imminent failure. "It's good you're a half-blood then, so when the school kicks you out, you can go live with your muggle family instead," She said in a huff, folding her arms. Honestly, she thought the school and the arbitrary way they decided to teach magic was all stupid anyway, but she had to double-down on her own lie now and make sure the other girl knew who was boss. "I'm sure you won't be missed much at least." She said, voice laced with patronizing pity.

Amy shrugged."I'm sure my Muggle family will be happy to have me back. They said that they would miss me." Amy was a little hurt by the comment from the other girl, saying she wouldn't be missed. Was she that bad at magic? But she couldn't show it because that would mean that the other girl had won her fight."Anyway, I think that Muggle familes are just as supporting as magic familes, if not more. They understand that you have been given an advantage, and expect you to take it."

Sydney didn't bother hiding a scoff when the girl mentioned her muggle family would miss her. "Well they probably need all the help they can get," She said dismissively, giving the girl a derisive once over. She couldn't imagine living in a world without magic, how tragically dull and sad that must be. "Well must be nice to have a supportive family when you're so bad at magic that you need to practice already." Sydney didn't want to admit it, but all this talk of family was starting to hit a nerve. It wasn't fair that this dumb girl be so sure of herself when she clearly couldn't even grasp basic magic yet, and yet Sydney's own family barely knew she existed until she was practically blowing up the dining table to get their attention. But whatever, she was starting to get bored of talking to this girl, already trying to think of a snappy one-liner she could use to finish her off. She wanted to find something to say that would really rattle this girl long after she'd walked away.

Amy lifted her head slightly."You're right, it is nice to have a supportive family. And it's always good to practice, no matter how good you are." Amy wanted to prove that it didn't matter what your family background was, you could do anything if you wanted to. This girl wasn't understanding that practice was important and it always helped. Amy wasn't sure if she even wanted to introduce herself, or get this girl's name, but she wanted to make a note of her."I'm Amy." She raised an eyebrow, almost daring the girl to make another smart remark.

((sorry about the wait!!))

Sydney made a show of yawning as the Hufflepuff went on with her after school special speech about family and the importance of practicing. Really, she was probably doing this girl a favour by being so blunt about school expectations, it didn't do anyone any good going around thinking the world was all flowers and honey all the time like she seemed to. "Why are you introducing yourself, do you think I want to be your friend or something?" She'd decided pretty early on that she'd have to chose her friends carefully at this school, and so far Amy hadn't done much to impress her at all.

Amy laughed, the sound full of humor.."No way, quite the opposite, actually. I just wanted to know who you were so I could stay as far away from you as possible!" Amy wasn't sure what the problem with this girl was, but she was sure that she didn't want to get to know her better. Amy had liked the idea of being friendly with everyone, but this girl was being particularly difficult. She decided that staying away was probably the best option, especially if the girl felt that Amy didn't belong at Hogwarts.

Sydney felt her lip curl with Amy laughed, this girl was really getting on her nerves. "Good, I'd hate for people to think we're associated with each other or something. Your mundanity might rub off on me," She said, hoping her expression made it clear that she found this entire conversation to be a waste of time. "And don't worry, I have no intention of spending any more time near you." Hoping to get the last word in, Sydney brushed past Amy, making a beeline for the castle, trying to appear as unaffected and collected by the encounter as possible.

Amy rolled her eyes as the girl left."I'm glad!" She called out, after the girl's comment on not wanting to spend anymore time near her. She packed up all but one of her books, pulled her bag onto her back, and began walking up to the castle. As she passed the girl, she held her wand and said,"Lumos!" Her wand lit up, and while she was super excited and wanted to squeal with joy, she shrugged and closed her book, continuing on the way to the castle. She had had enough of practicing spells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back