Practice In Freedom

Sern Summers

OOC First Name
Michael / Jesse
Wand
Knotted 15 1/2 Inch Sturdy English Oak Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Sern made his way, as he was more and more often doing, down to the great looming trees of the forbidden forest. He came there to have his time, though he was no fool. He knew students always skirted near the edges and sometimes traveled parts the first lot of trees. But people didn't go very far in... and for good reason too. But, of course, Sern went in anyway. He knew a centaur or too that would help him if he really got in trouble.

He went through the forest few trees and keep going deeper until the noise and chaos of the school faded into oblivion, leaving the sounds of nature to drift through the air softly. Sern took a deep breath of pine scented air and gave a long satisfied smile. "perfect" He said simply while squaring his stance.

Sern hadn't practiced any form of martial art or indeed any self defense style in a long while. He thought more of it too keep him fit and for something to do instead of actual self defense. He grabbed onto his jacket, pulling it from him. Then slipped out of his shirt, cool air rushing over his torso. He had a lean body, muscles around average size. Not scrap of fat could be seen on him. Taking a few deep breaths he squared himself once more, looking out to the trees ahead. He took a few quick calculations of where each tree was around him and how much open room her hand before closing his eyes.

Rolling his shoulders a few times, Sern took in one more deep breath.. then closed his hand into a tight fist and struck out with lightning speed. He spun his leg up and around in a round house kick just after the punch was made. As his foot came back down to the side from the kick, he pushed it against the ground. his body flicked into the air as he spun horizontally through the air. his foot touching the ground first, other following through with a sidekick. He took one deep breath before striking out either side of him with his palms. Sern then slipped his hand into his pocket, withdrawing his wand from it. He adjusted his grip on it before flipping back once more, sending his wand in a slashing motion in front of him. sparks flew through the air in that slashing motion, dissipated before they hit the trees. He took a quick step forward while sliding his body down, skidding against the ground as if to dodge a spell. He made flick of his wand and murmured, "Stupefy" and watched at the red bolt flashed from the end of the wand to his imaginary target.

"Wingardium Leviosa!" said Artemis, batting her wand up and down in a frustrated manner.
The leaf, instead of floating gracefully into the air, curled in on itself forlornly.
"Bugger it." said Artemis quietly. Her voice got louder still with her mounting anger at herself. "Bugger it, bugger it, bugger it!"
Artemis had been experimenting with the charm for over two hours in the forest. Luckily for her, there were no lessons for her to attend, although she would be there anyway no matter the day. Deep in the forest was a little stick-hewn hut, cobbled together with a few vines and half built, half suspended between two pine trees. It was here that Artemis had set up her "mouse's nook" as she fondly called it, and today she had spent most of the afternoon trying to work wingardium leviosa on inanimate plant matter.
So far it had been a failure. When directing the spell to herself, Artemis was immediately flung into the air, colliding with a fallen log and almost breaking a few fingers. This she considered a success, but any attempts that she made thereafter to try the charm on a less fragile object, she could barely get it to move. Usually a patient girl, she found herself growing ever more frustrated as the minutes passed and, two hours later, she broke.
"Why is it that I simply cannot get this blasted spell to work on anything except myself! Oh...oh...poop!" she exploded the last word vehemently. She made to expel her wand away from her with all the force of a tired, frustrated little girl, but a new noise caught her attention. There, to her direct left, out of the clearing and into another, she heard the sounds of fierce fighting. Suddenly reminded of her encounter with the wolves, she gripped her wand hard with both hands (little fists barely covering the holding piece) and advanced towards the source.
There, as she spied from behind a particularly thick pine tree, was Sern, fighting imaginary foes. Artemis let out a tiny "Oooh" like an inquisitive fairy, and slipped her wand into her back pocket to watch.

Sern apparently didn't hear the small 'ooh' and continued with a few more acrobatics and sparks. He ran up to a tree, kicking from it and doing a fantastic spin/flip thing in the air before landing neatly on the ground. He sent his wand pointing in the direction of Artemis. He half muttered "Stupe-" the last part of the words slipped from his lips just before he could stop them. He slipped down to her in an instant, sending myself in front of her. His wand flicking as he muttered "Protego!" Just in time, the flash of blue deflected the stunning spell. He slowly turned to her and whispered, "Sorry about that..."

Artemis watched this with a mixture of fascination and excitement. The technique was amazing. She continued to watch this for several minutes until Sern's practicing ventured close, and he made use of the tree she hid behind. Artemis opened her mouth into a tiny "o" as he stepped lightly up the tree bark and flipped off it. Her eyes followed the decent back to the ground as if it was in slow motion.
Artemis was struck with the sudden notion that she was in danger, a notion confirmed as he sent a spell shooting in her direction. She barely had time to throw her arms over her head went she heard the tiny 'thunk' made by a spell hitting a Protego shield. With her mouth still frozen in the "o", she lifted her head to see Sern turning towards her. He whispered to her...
"Sorry about that..."
Artemis had the look of a child caught with its hand in the cookie jar. This coupled with the enormous panda hoodie that almost fell right over her eyes made the expression all the more shocked and mischievous. Stuffing her wand into her pocket casually, she straightened up.
"Allo Sern!"

Sern raised his eyebrow slowly as she pulled the, too large her her, hoodie over her head. He then gave a sudden thought on how long she had been watching him. He really didnt like being watched. After all, he was a shy boy.

Sern was just about to ask how long she was watching him when a sudden thought hit him again, He didn't have a shirt on. oh....brilliant....just....brilliant he thought to himself. he shuffled slightly, trying not to draw attention to his shirtless torso, as if it needed drawing attention to when your right in front of someone. "...Hi Artemis?" He murmured before glancing over to his shirt on the other side of the clearing. He started moving over to in in his slinking way, "How long have you been here?" he asked smoothly.

"Oh, about ten minutes" said Artemis conversationally. The fact that Sern was shirtless hadn't even occurred to her until he started to discreetly cover his chest and glance to his shirt over the other side of the clearing.
Artemis responded by staring directly at his torso. "I say..." she said.
"Aren't you cold? Here I am rugged to my toes," she wriggled her toes in emphasis "And you're standing there in half yer birthday suit!"
She gave him a wondering grin. Artemis pursed her lips in concern after a moment as Sern was beginning to look uncomfortable.
"Well it's no good fussing like that, I have two brothers and ye ain't got nothin' I haven't seen before!" she said in an attempt to put him at ease.

"Ten minutes" He repeated thoughtfully. People usually coulden't sneak up on him, though he supposed that he had thought that no one would come this deep. Not to mention he had to concentrate on what he was doing. The statement still caused a slight pang of unease though. The thought of him being watched all that time just.. he gave a mental shudder.

Then she asked if he was cold and he looked at her questioningly for a millisecond before he realized she was talking about him being shirtless. He moved ever closer to his shirt but replied in the same tone as usual, "Im not the usual boy.." He gave a slight chuckle. He loved the cold, adored it. but heat was his lapsing point. He absolutely hated summer and that was his last name. Almost cruel irony. He took note of the having brothers comment but it really didn't mean much to him. He wasn't her brother.

Artemis watched Sern go silent after his chuckle. His eyes sort of drifted as she watched, as if his soul had flown out of the left nostril. In an attempt to both apologize and pick up the conversation, Artemis spoke again.
"Strange that you didn't notice. Usually I would announce myself, but it's not everyday you see a student do that." Artemis said, under the impression that she was flattering him.
She gave a great "Weeelll..." before continuing on, "I'd best going back now. It's getting a bit too cold around here for me." And indeed, her nose and cheeks were rosy pink.
Artemis then had a sudden epiphany. Sern had acknowledged the comment about her brothers, but she realized that, other than her mother and two brothers, Sern knew nothing else about her. They were still casual acquaintances.
"Ooh!" she commented to herself. Looking to Sern, she gave him a small wave before heading back in the direction of the twig cottage, obviously too North East to be heading towards the castle.

"Well its not everyday I get watched doing that" Sern said in his usual tone though it might of had a layer of humor hidden within it. Sern listened to her cute little 'weeelll' with a smile. He knew very little about this girl...except she had a tempter. though it really didn't phase him. He wasn't exactly the social type and so didn't know many people.

Feeling a cold gust of wing flow across him reminded him that he was shirtless. He slipped over to it and grabbed onto it, pulling it down over him. It didn't seem likely he would get much more training done today.

When Artemis said she had better go Sern bade her farewell. He expected her to go in the direction of the castle but instead went a totally different way. Sern's curiosity was suddenly aroused. He waited a few moments until she was out of sight then sent himself to a tree, sending himself up into the lower branches. He then climbed about a third of a tree before starting to make his way from tree to tree after her silently. he caught up to her and stayed just out of sight, swinging from tree to tree after her, not making a sound.

Artemis swallowed a giggle as she trotted towards the Mouse-Nook. She could not hear or see Sern at all, but she knew that the direction she was taking was tantalizing. Just the thought of him possibly following her gave way to a whole new world of mischief. At first she had every intention of going back to the Mouse-Nook, but she had long realized that she was getting a bit too cold for that. Feigning an oblivious whistle, she began to veer very subtlety to the left. After about ten minutes, it became quite clear that she was going back to the castle, only it was taking a while longer. For this was the sort of person Artemis was. She did not know whether Sern was following her or not, but simply the possibility of it had altered her decision entirely in order to make new kinds of mischief. Even so, there was a more somber reason for this trick. The Mouse-Nook was private for Artemis, and she had no intention of leading anyone there, no matter how much she had taken to Sern.

Sern followed her and thought as she headed towards her hideout which he knew nothing of. He heard the whistle and thought it seemed abit to output. then saw her veer to the left slowly. Now didn't know much about the girl it was true. but he wasn't a fool. she would expect to be followed. Perhaps she was leading him away from something? He wondered what she was hiding from him. he sent himself quickly to a tree or two in front of her.

He dropped down from it suddenly. Landing perfectly, as if he was standing there all along with his head down slightly. the only thing that would make someone think he jumped was the slowly fluttering leaves that fell around him for a moment. "And what would you be hiding?" He asked in the same cool quiet tone as usual, though the storm in his eyes seemed to come to life.

Artemis was surprised as Sern blatantly revealed himself. Deciding to play with this a little, she countered.
"Were you following me?" she shot at him with a well-acted grimace of anger.

"Yes and you knew it" said Sern simply. he really wasn't the one to be toyed with, though he could have expected nothing less from Artemis. Though for a second he thought the grimace of anger might be real. she can certainly put on the show.. he thought to himself.

The grimace of anger popped off her face like a butterfly leaving a flower.
"Aha." she said. "I certainly did. But why did you follow me anyway?"

Sern looked up slightly to lock his stormy eyes on hers, "well...I was curious". this was mostly true though the other part of it was, even if he would never admit it to himself or anyone else. He felt partially protective of her. though he counted it off as not wanted a student to be mauled or shot with an arrow. He stood there perfectly still as he always did in his almost haunting image.

Artemis shook her head sadly.
"Only half an answer. Were you curious as to where I was going? Perhaps I only walked that way to make you follow me." she suggested, looking quite sincere.
She knew that Sern wasn't an idiot. He played every word she said back, and hard, too. This boy was interesting.

Sern stood there silently for a moment, "I was curious" He repeated simply. When she said about making him follow her the faintest of smiles touched his lips. "ah..."He pointed to the exact stop she started veering left. "That's where you decided to start leading me.." He paused for a moment, his eyes bore down into hers. "Before that you were going somewhere....but where I wonder.."

At his hard look, Artemis merely steeled her chin.
"Wonder all you please. I'm going back to the castle." Artemis began to walk in the correct direction. Light snow drifted onto her hood as each step brought her into thinner trees. Artemis paused, then stopped to call back.
"Are you coming too?"

Sern really really really didn't like being dismissed so easily. He took his long strides towards her until he slipped in front of her, spinning down on his heel easily to face her again "If I so wished im sure I could find it....that or one of my friends..." He said looking at her, the storms in his eyes swirling around abit. it wasn't a stern look. But it was definitely not one to just pass off. "I would like to know... but if it is so secret....then I shall leave you be" he dipped his head to her slowly. Sern wasn't going to be labeled a pest.

Artemis scowled at Sern. She really really really didn't like being hindered. Artemis looked as if she was in half a mind to punch him in the nose.
"Well it isn't really a secret, it's just that no-one goes there. I have...adopted it somewhat. I apologize for disturbing your sanctuary, and would appreciate it if you didn't disturb mine without my permission." she said firmly. And that was that.
Stepping around him, she trundled back out of the forest, stopping once in a while to brush snowflakes from her nose. This time she did not call back to him.

Sern was, once again, sternly dismissed. Though this time he felt almost ashamed for annoying her so much. His curiosity for sated for them moment. He looked to her as she left and gave a slight sigh.
there was still some time before she would leave the forest and he grabbed a few pieces of grass, striping them down into minuscule strands. he wove the strands down together as fast as he could but adding as much care and detail as usual. In the end it was a small sail ship. he couldn't really think of much else to make. it had great detail with railings and everything. he sent himself once more up into the trees. this time going higher then before. Sern caught up to Artemis before she left the forest and let the ship drop from his hands. It sailed gently on the breeze down to her, sailing down in front of her for a few moments. perhaps she would forgive him.

Artemis let out a little "Oop!" as she felt something drop onto her head. The thing fell onto the forest floor, and she took care to examine it before picking it up. It was a little grass sailboat, complete with railings, a wheel, even a little rudder attached to the bottom. She clapped her hands in delight and laughed. Carefully, she gave it a prod with her wand. The sailboat did nothing. She was satisfied.
As she picked up the boat, she looked up into the canopy and saw a faint shadow behind a branch. She lifted the tiny boat with an equally tiny hand and lifted it into the air.
"I accept your apology!" she bellowed out, making an assortment of birds take flight. Gripping her wand, she lifted it, too. "Ignitus Rosentia!" she said. A thin stream of pink light wound it's way out of her wand, and with it she drew a large smiley-face. The glittering smile was left hanging in the air between them as she grinned as wide at the picture, turned and walked back towards civilisation.

Sern watched from high in the trees as Artemis looked over his work carefully. Then, she said she accepted his apology and a smile crept across his face, he flicked his wand a muttered a modified version of 'Windgardium Leviosa'. The little sail boat seemed to be plucked up by an unseen breeze. But instead of following the wand, as would normally happen, it sailed around Artemis gently. His eyes flashed for a moment in the shadow and then he slipped away.

Artemis grinned faintly as the little ship floated behind her. It bobbed around her as if in a breeze as she walked up towards the castle with a smile on her face.

-CLOSED-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back