Potion Brewing

Sophia Stark

OOC First Name
Kaela
Sophia entered an empty classroom with her cauldron in hand. Inside of her cauldron were some ingredients she had bought from the Apothecary and her potions book. She set her cauldron upon a burner on an empty desk and took out the ingredients, placing them on the desk as well. With a flick of her wand and a quiet "incendio," Sophia lit the burner. She then pointed her wand inside the cauldron and quietly spoke "aguamenti" to put some water in her cauldron. While waiting for the water to heat, Sophia flipped her book open to a page she had marked and began reading the instructions. While going over what she needed to do in her mind, Sophia silently wondered if anyone would venture down here, unsure at how she would feel abut that.

Ford sauntered was walking down into the dugeons, never have been down there much, when he saw an open door to an old classroom, through which the crackling of fire could be heard. He cautiously walked down the hall with his wand at ready, he looked into the room to see Sophia there, with a cauldron, obviously getting ready to make some potions.

"Hello, Sophia," Ford said as he strode through the door and pocketed his wand.

A bit surprised to hear someone speak her name, Sophia turned to see Ford standing in the doorway. "Oh, hello Ford. What brings you down here?" she asked coolly as she turned back to her book, running her finger over the instructions she needed.

"Nothing, really," Ford shrugged and looked into the cauldron, "Just exploring. I decided to take a break from my studies. What are you brewing?"

"Well, first I am brewing a Befuddlement Draught, and then I will be brewing a Draught of Peace." Sophia looked up from her book and to Ford, "I have only just begun. Would you like to assist me?"

"That would be very nice," Ford smiled at Sophia, "How may I be of service to you." He mimed in a faux-slavelike manner.

Smirking, Sophia turned to the table and picked up her scurvy grass, a cutting board, and a knife, placing them together on the other side of her cauldron. She then turned to Ford, the smirk still there. "Well, you may chop up the scurvy grass. Just cut it up with the knife."

Sophia then picked up a mortar and put some sneezewort inside of it. She picked up the pestle and began grinding the sneezewort up into powder.

"Yes Mistriss," Ford said, bowing. He attempted to conceal a smirk, but ultimately failed. He then walked over to the cutting board and picked up the knife and began cutting up the scurvy grass, being extra careful to keep everything orderly. Once had finished, he asked submissively, "Do I put these in the cauldron now?"

Sophia turned from her crushed sneezework and looked to Ford, smirking at him. She could not believe he was asking this way, but she did not mind because it amused her greatly. The smirk faded a bit as she registered his question. "Oh, no, not just yet. The water must come to a boil first." She looked into the cauldron and saw that the water was getting close to the boiling point. "Just watch for it to boil and then you may put it in. Once you put it in, you must stir it. Five times clockwise, then one counterclockwise. Repeat that 5 times. Can you do that?"

Ford nodded confidently at Sophia's question. He silently watched the water, and when it came to a boil he dropped the scurvy grass into it. He then stirred the mixture five times clockwise, and once counterclockwise, repeating it five times. On his forth set, he asked in an overly polite way, similar in tone to a slave referring to their master, "What shall I do next?"

Sophia nodded to Ford, hoping he could handle everything. She remembered him mentioning that Potions was not his best subject. Deciding to trust him, she took the knife and began chopping the lovage while Ford stirred.

When Ford posed his question, Sophia turned to him. "Once you are done stirring, add the sneezewort, and then let the potion sit for precisely five minutes." She picked up the mortar and set it close to the cauldron so that Ford could put it in when the time came. She then went back to chopping, as the lovage would be needed next.

"Yes Mistress," Ford smiled and upon finishing stirring, he emptied the contents of the mortar into the cauldron and let it sit. He then turned to Sophia, and looked at her eyes. They were beautiful, glinting in the firelight.

Once she had finished chopping the lovage, Sophia turned to Ford to find him staring at her. Trying not to blush, she looked as serious as possible. "How long has the potion been sitting?" She looked into the potion to inspect its progress. It was a deep purple now, fading to a lighter lavender quite slowly.

"It's almost time now," Ford said blithely, "What do we do now?"

"Well, after five minutes, once the potion has turned a very light lavender, we add the lovage, and stir, using the same technique as before, only in reverse. Five times counterclockwise, one clockwise, repeated five times. Let me know when the potion is ready for the lovage." Sophia then began looking once more in her book, running her finger along the page.

Ford nodded to Sophia and watched the cauldron. Soon, the potion turned a lightish purply color, Ford assumed this to be lavender. "I believe that it is time to add the lovage," Ford said as he prepared to stir the potion.

Sophia looked up to Ford, then down into the potion. Satisfied, she picked up the lovage and added it, then going back to her book as she allowed Ford to stir.

As Ford the potion, taking extra care so that he stirred it correctly, "Mistress," he said, barely concealing a smile, "How is it that you came to be so gifted at potionmaking?"

"I am not gifted, I practice. I have been brewing potions forever, it is a love of my mother's. Her family is known for being excellent potions masters." Having been looking down at the book while she spoke, Sophia now looked up to Ford. "Have you ever heard of Severus Snape?"

Ford recalled hearing the name in his reading of more recent magical history, "He was a professor at Hogwarts? Was he not?" Beyond that, Ford really didn't know that much about him.

"Yes, he was the Potions Master in fact, aside from his last year when he taught Defense Against the Dark Arts. He was actually a Death Eater before he became a Professor. He was my mother's first cousin once removed. Not a very direct relation, but he is merely an example.

"Now, once you are done stirring, remove the cauldron from the heat and let it sit. It should turn blue."

"In any case, you are quite good with potions," Ford said dryly and pulled out his wand, "Wingardium Leviosa," he incanted and the cualdron plodded across the air, off the fire, and Ford set it down on cold stone, watching and waiting for it to turn blue, "Myself, I am developing a propensity for charms and Defense Against the Dark Arts."

Sophia followed the cauldron as Ford levitated it with her golden eyes. Once it was on the cold stone, she looked back to Ford. "Charms is all right. I prefer Transfigurations though. Defense Against the Dark Arts has been surprising me. I did not expect to be taught so many jinxes and such. The thing about Potions is, to excel at it all you need is patience, dedication, and attention to detail. Patience and dedication will you get you far in anything you try, but attention to detail is crucial in potion making."

"You must have all three," Ford said dryly, "Because you are quite good at potion making." He peered into the cauldron, at the liquid, waiting for it to turn blue.

Sophia looked away from Ford and down to her book, trying not to blush. She put her finger to the page and scanned a few lines before turning to a different page and putting her finger to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back