Estrella Drage

Obliviator for MACUSA | HNZ 1st Graduating Class

OOC First Name
Amanda
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Widow
((This is closed, btw. If you wish to join you must pm me.))

Estrella was quite surprised that she even found the incentive to trudge down to the library with a book in hand, while not exactly wanting to make a presence of herself around school still wanting a change of scenery from Ravenclaw Tower. The library was ultimately a quiet place, and she didn't suppose that anyone would bother her here.

Putting her bag down on a chair, she trailed her thick fingers along the spines of a few books, looking for something other than what she had to check out. Finding nothing of interest in her less-than-enthusiastic search, she plopped down in a chair, opening the new book as the spine cracked. For some odd reason she had always reveled in the sound, as if she were opening the door to a new world.

She had gotten Prefects Who Gained Power as a Christmas Present from her father, and she decided that it was high time to read it. Anything that could take her away from her stress of late was welcome and inviting in her mind, and she was soon immersed within the pages, pushing Kale and all of the letters that she was waiting anxiously on to the back of her mind.

She looked up and glared at a group of first years being rambunctious at a table, and they hushed up just a bit upon her glare. She had no idea how uninviting she appeared lately; she was hard pressed to force a smile at someone these days, even the few that she considered her friends. At the moment, she felt immensely friendless, and had deluded herself into the mindset that she had no one to talk to.

Bruin had a pretty decent selection of books in his dorm room at Gryffindor, but nothing that had provided him with even the slightest bit of insight into Switching Spells. He was anxious to impress the new Transfiguration professor so that he might begin his Animagus training and decided that he would make a determined effort to find a resource amongst the vast volumes contained within the school's library.

Bruin wandered down an aisle looking at various titles, but knew that he would probably have to ask for some assistance after the first few promising books revealed nothing. As he approached the end of the aisle, he became aware of a rather noisy group of students and was just preparing to say something when they dropped their voices. Bruin turned the corner to see Estrella sitting at a nearby table giving them a look that would have quietened even the bravest of 11 year olds.

Bruin had become a little worried about Estrella, having noticed that she was very cold and distant since the start of the year. He had heard that she and Kale had broken up, but having never experienced a break-up firsthand had no idea how it might affect some one. He decided it was time that he let her know he was worried about her and hoped that he could raise her spirits a little.

Bruin wandered over to the table and looked down at her with a sheepish smile. "Hey Estrella. Mind if I join you for a few minutes?", he asked tentatively.

Estrella blinked just a bit as she was spoken to, taking a few moments to register who the person standing before her was. Her throat knotting just a bit, she had truely been expecting Kale, and was nothing short of relieved when she realized that it was Bruin.

Her voice sounding dry and cracked from its unused state as of late, she managed to croak, "Hey. Yeah, I suppose."

She had never had any issues with Bruin, and had always considered him a friend, although they never had truly talked much.

Bruin winced a little at the way Estrella had accepted him joining her, noting that it wasn't a particularly enthusiastic gesture. He lowered himself into the chair opposite her slowly, a little unsure as to how to approach this discussion given her apparent reservation to having company. Never being one for tact, Bruin decided that he'd just throw something out there and see how the discussion went from there.

"Umm, I hope that you don't take this the wrong way, but is everything okay? You just don't seem quite like yourself this year.", he said, hoping that Estrella registered the sincerity and concern in his voice.

Estrella had been expecting no less than this type of question from Bruin, and she sighed a bit. One part of her felt bad for the cold tone in her voice, but another, newly present side of her told her not to care. It wasn't her, but on the other hand not caring made some of her problems go away. Not all, of course.

She looked back at him with wide eyes, although they were not filled with much and her eye sockets might as well be empty. "I've just got a lot on my mind," she replied, in somewhat of a whisper.

Bruin could relate, the older that he got the more complicated things seemed to become. "Oh, yeah...", he said half-heartedly. "I guess things just keep getting harder, eh? So, what are you reading?", Bruin asked, trying to get some insight into what might be on her mind.

Estrella held up her book to Bruin, finding it hard to meet his gaze. "Prefects Who Gained Power-" she replied, glancing back at the title. "I figured it would be interesting- At least my dad has taste when he chooses Christmas Presents."

She did not know how she felt talking about her father. He did not seem to be the evil presence that she had always envisioned him as, as she was beginning to see him as a parent. That did not stop her, however, from feeling guilty about Professor King being outed to the ministry. She knew that her father had ratted him out, although he hadn't said much in his letter directly.

Truthfully, she felt that she had no control in her life anymore, and she wanted it back.

Her tongue feeling like sandpaper, she added, "It's pretty interesting- You could borrow it if you wanted."

"Thanks, but maybe you can just tell me about the interesting parts.", Bruin said with a smile. "To be honest I'm not sure I'm into the whole leadership and power stuff. I always felt a little uncomfortable at those Future Leaders of Magic meetings that Sophia organized."

Bruin suddenly realized that he either didn't know or couldn't remember much about Estrella's home life. He was pretty sure that her mother wasn't in the picture, but was still pretty hazy about the rest. He thought about asking, but figured he'd wait to talk about family.

For a fleeting moment, a hint of a smile tugged at the corners of Estrella's lips, although if one was not watching closely they would not have noticed the tiny disturbance in her expression. "I never felt uncomfortable, although its too bad that the club never really got off the ground." She was glad that she had never been seriously dedicated to any clubs, as she didn't think she would be able to hand any large dedications at the moment. She still had the Quidditch position of Keeper, and it seemed like House teams were becoming the norm again, but she wasn't going to take on any more.

"I guess I could tell you the interesting parts," she replied, closing the book with a slight snap, although it wasn't meant to be violent in any way. She was suddenly reminded of the first time she had met Sophia, and they had gotten into an argument here. She remembered with a smirk that Bruin had been present; she had thought that she was going to get into a fight that day, although it had simmered down before anything truly dramatic could happen.

First year. That was when Rose was still alive, when she wasn't plagued with the knowledge she possessed now. Everything seemed so innocent and carefree; there were perks to getting older, but on the other hand a little part of her wished that she could be her eleven year old self again.

Bruin interpreted Estrella's gesture of closing the book as a willingness for her to talk and seeing as talking was one of his strengths, he decided to press on with the conversation. "So, uh, these things that are on your mind...are they school stuff or more personal?", Bruin asked in a friendly way. "Feel free to tell me if it's none of my business, but I know I made the mistake of keeping some things bottled up last year and it didn't get better until I eventually talked about it..."

Bruin hoped that Estrella understood he wasn't trying to pry, but he didn't like seeing her like this. He rather preferred the Estrella that he knew from Opaleye Assault and the one that he had practiced turning rats into chinchillas and bunny rabbits last year. He smiled warmly at her, trying to let her know that he'd be fine with whatever her decision was.

Estrella froze up a bit; did she really want to divulge what had been on her mind these past couple of months? She knew that he was only looking out for her, but she still couldn't shake off the will to keep to herself.

Her voice cracking a bit, she started, "You could say it's more personal- I'm not doing too bad in classes at all." She had of course applied herself even more to school to get her mind off of things, and she strove to be the best she could be.

She froze up again, unsure of what else to say. She had blown up her dorm room, at least, somewhat. Did she want anyone else to know what a freak she was?

Bruin couldn't help but get the impression that Estrella just wasn't ready to talk. He had noticed that she seemed a little more driven in classes this year which was good for Ravenclaw and pretty scary for everyone else. Bruin knew firsthand that Estrella was every bit as capable as he was and probably better in a few subjects and that he would have a real battle on his hands for top student if he didn't have a few extra courses to rely on.

"I'll say, I've noticed that you've been a little bit more, uh, determined this year. Going to take a run at the title this year?", he asked jokingly. "And listen, about the other stuff, like I said, if you want to talk let me know, but I totally understand if I'm not the one you want to talk to. I'm not exactly an authority on the problems that young witches might experience.", he added, hoping that his sense of humour didn't upset her anymore than she was.

Estrella's hard gaze softened a bit as she sighed, looking back at Bruin. Her eyes narrowed a bit as he suggested that she were running after the title of top student, and she smirked, admitting quietly, "Possibly. The competition is going to be quite entertaining, wouldn't you say?"

She couldn't help envisioning herself finally beating out Bruin and winning the title of top student this year- She had been second to him her first year, and then her third, and she wished that once, she could come out first.

She crossed her arms, looking back at Bruin and knowing that she didn't want to talk about her problems. Sighing, she said quietly, "It's just nice to know that you're here. It means a lot."

Bruin smiled a little at Estrella's reaction, he had a feeling that she was one of many who were gunning for him this year. "That's me, always here." Bruin said referring kind of ironically to the fact that he was always trying to be a good friend to others, but still had trouble figuring out just who his close friends were when he needed one.

"Maybe you and I should have a little side bet?. Whoever does better in the classes we have together should definitely owe the other something. Now that would be interesting.", Bruin said with a mischievious grin.

"So, are you still volunteering to be put under the Imperius Curse?", Bruin asked, beginning to feel a little apprehensive about it himself.

Estrella grinned back at Bruin wickedly, glad that she at least had someone she could relate to in school. She still felt like she was alone, but at least Bruin cared enough to talk to her and act as if nothing had changed for her. She sadly could admit that she was not great about being around for people.

"A bet sounds great- But what are the stakes?" she said, feeling a little challenge coming on.

She shifted in her seat when asked about the Imperius Curse. "Yeah, my grandfather actually agreed to it, so I turned in the consent form yesterday. I'm a little nervous about it myself. I hope King doesn't make me do anything too embarrassing. You doing it too?"

"Yeah, my parents signed the consent form too. I thought it was a good idea at first, but now I'm starting to worry about what Professor King might have me do. I don't think he's ever quite forgotten Heath and I leaving that disgustingly smelly Bundimun in front of his office in first year. I can see this being his perfect opportunity for a bit of payback.", Bruin replied, trying to smile, but feeling the worry creep into his subconscious.

Bruin thought a little bit about the stakes for their friendly wager. "Hmm, I don't know about the bet. I mean the loser could have to do something embarrassing or maybe treat the other person to a nice dinner or something special from one of the shops. I don't know...I suppose we could think about it for a few days and decide on the stakes later."

Bruin took note that Estrella's grandfather had provided her with consent and was now more confused then even about her family situation. I wonder if that's what is on her mind?, Bruin wondered to himself.

Estrella shuddered a bit, and she replied, "I just hope it's nothing too embarrassing." Her eyes widened, and she inquired, "It was you guys who put the Bundimun in King's office? I never would have known. What happened to Heath, anyway?" Of course, that was just another factor adding on to her terrible mood lately; there were so many people leaving and had already left.

She grinned wickedly, and she suggested, "How about the loser has to do something embarrassing and then treat the other to a nice dinner?"

She smirked back at Bruin, a little bit of happiness having leaked out of her cold and depressed mood.

Bruin laughed. "Yeah, Heath and I had a detention cleaning the trophies and came across a Bundimun in the Janitor's closet. Professor King told us that we could deal with it ourselves so Heath stunned it and then we levitated it up to his office. Man, did that thing stink!" Bruin said, enjoying retelling the story, but feeling a little sad about Heath leaving shortly after that.

"I don't know exactly why Heath left. He said he was hoping to come back in second year, but that's the last I heard. Actually, he was probably my best friend first year and aside from Ford and Kale, I've never really met any guys that I really get along with here.", Bruin added with a hint of sadness.

"Those stakes sound fine with me. I could use a good dinner out.", he said with hint of quiet cockiness in his expression.

Estrella knew that she would retreat back to her sulkiness once this conversation was over, but she was happy to continue speaking to Bruin for the time being. It made her forget about the situation she was in for a while.

"That's too bad," Estrella replied, "It's been tough, losing all these people. Rose, Dru, Liz.. I mean, who's going to go next?" She frowned a bit, and then looked back up to Bruin.

Her eyes lit up at the prospect of a challenge. "Deal!" She held out her hand to seal the bet, a wicked grin plastered across her face.

Bruin didn't want to think about the prospects of anyone else leaving and simply held out his hand and shook Estrella's firmly. "Deal.", he said with a wink, wondering just what embarrassing thing he might dream up for Estrella should he win and beginning to worry about what he might have to do should he lose.

(ooc-got to run, later)

Estrella grinned back as she shook his hand, feeling a bit of competitive cockiness. "Oh, I believe I know what I'm going to make you do when you lose," she chuckled wickedly and in a suspicious manner.

"Correction, if I lose.", Bruin replied with a determined grin. "Trust me, you won't like what I have in store for you either.", he added with a sly grin, even though in actual fact he had no idea what he would possibly do to try and embarrass her.

"So, what's the new bunch of Ravenclaws like?", Bruin asked, intent on changing the subject.

"Another correction, Mister Dumbledez; I believe I was quite clear in saying when you lose." Estrella grinned wickedly, winking at him and biting her lip as he asked about the new Ravenclaws.

"Well, I'm still pretty sure that the majority of the younger kids hate me, considering that I call on them when they're in the wrong." She smirked. "I had one smart mouth me the other day- I'm surprised they haven't tried to pull a prank on me yet." She was surprised how open she was being, considering the way she had carried herself the last couple of weeks. "And how are the little Gryffies?"

Bruin smiled as Estrella talked. Man, does she ever sound confident in herself, he worried as he considered the thought that proposing a bet may have been a little foolish. Bruin raised an eyebrow when she expressed that the new Ravenclaws might hate her, he couldn't imagine a similar sentiment developing between him and the latest group of Gryffindors.

"I prefer to refer to them as the Cubs actually.", Bruin said with a laugh. "Actually, they seem alright...mainly excited girls and a couple of guys as far as I can tell. I think our Quidditch team will be alright though if they have even half the skill in flying as they do enthusiasm for it."

Estrella raised her eyebrow at Bruin, a lot of the tension she had experienced before released as she continued to speak, even if she wasn't saying what she wanted to say. Her shoulders relaxed a bit as she leaned back in her chair, feeling ultimately lazy.

"The Cubs?" she sniggered, raising her eyebrow. "How cute. I don't know if I'd be calling the younger kids in my house the chicks anytime soon, considering we actually have a few boys in our house this time around. Oddly enough, we seem to have a bunch of troublemakers- It doesn't make too much sense."

((Sorry I took so long to respond to this.))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back