Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Lou
Wand
Yew 12'' Core of Jackalope Antler
Erik loved his life. Sure, there were ups and downs, but he’d long decided to celebrate the ups and party through the downs. While he was sad to say goodbye to first Estrella and now Mom- they’d been sent off with laughter and love. Erik didn’t know where his eternal optimism came from- perhaps the biological mother he’d never known, or a long-dead grandparent.

The wizard especially loved traveling. He dragged his cauldron around the world and did what he enjoyed most- meeting people and brewing potions. Erik hadn’t lived in New Zealand for a while, but he had a new niece and just had a bad breakup with his lover in Montreal. The change of scenery wouldn’t hurt.

He’d finally settled into his new flat in Wellington. Now, he needed to stock up on ingredients. The last time he’d lived here, for just a few months in 2039 before his kiwi boyfriend kicked him out, he’d frequented a business that specialized in magical plants. They had quite the selection and local, quality ingredients.

Erik decided to see if the farm was still up and running. He found his way to the property just outside of Whanganui. Erik approached the shop front, wondering if Bettie was still working there. However, when he tried the door, it was locked.

Well, shoot. He might as well go exploring. Perhaps he’d find someone to sell him the ingredients he needed. Slipping on his favorite pair of shades, he stepped out into one of the fields. He noticed a small patch of Shrivelfig, and a healthy orchard of Alihotsy trees. All well-cared for and flourishing in the sunshine.

@Lou Prindeou

Lou was always doing the same thing. Get up at dawn, work the farm. Eat breakfast, go back to work. He had spent his entire life this way. While he often wondered about life outside of the farm, he didn't often bother with much more than soft musing as he worked the dirt. It soothed him. It perhaps wasn't the best life there was, but he was satisfied with his work. Things were calm with Mary back in school- Bettie was always more relaxed when Reece's daughter wasn't underfoot. Personally, Lou found her a bit charming, even if he couldn't deny the sadness at the memory of his brother, or a bit of lingering jealousy. Mary got to leave the farm, have a life, a proper education. It was too late for Lou, he had been born on this farm and he often imagined he would die here, as well.

The sun was beating down on his back, and he knew it was time for lunch. Lou was a creature of habit. He rose from the ground, dusting the soil from his knees and hands. He'd been caring for one of the empty fields, keeping it maintained for when he would rotate the plants here next season. He paused as he rose, seeing something he rarely saw wandering through his farm. A visitor.

Lou hesitated a moment, before raising a hand in greeting, surprise clear in his dark eyes.

Erik was leaning in to get a better look at the Shrivelfigs, careful not to step too close and compact the soil. He stood up quickly when he saw movement at the edge of his vision. Erik waved back at the man. He was quite handsome. The fact he was covered in earth made him all the more- interesting, but Erik decided he better not get ahead of himself. He needed to stay composed for at least a few minutes.

“Hello!” Erik replied with enthusiasm, waving back. He took off his sunglasses. “I was just admiring your Shrivelfigs.”

Lou was very confused. Why was there a man looking at his shrivelfigs? He glanced back towards the house, hoping to see Bettie near, but there was no sight of her. He looked back to the stranger, unsure of what to do. It took him longer than it should have to think of a response, and even then he wasn't sure he responded properly. "Um... they're stubborn this year, we've moved them twice to get them to behave," He offered, wincing a little at how stiff he sounded. His voice was deep, rich, and he supposed it could be seen as attractive, his mother had told him often he should speak more. In order for that though, he would need to actually know what to say. He looked back to the house again, wanting his sister to appear. She spoke to people, she would know what to say, why this man was here. "I, er... why are you here?" He asked, his voice halting a bit. Merlin, why was he always so awkward?

Erik grinned back at the stranger. He had a pleasant and deep voice, even with the hesitation. The man couldn’t have more than a decade on Erik- not that this would deter him.

“I wanted to buy some ingredients,” Erik said. “Is Bettie still around? It’s been a long time.” With his Canadian accent, it was obvious Erik wasn’t from around here.

A little part of him hoped she wasn’t, that the stranger had taken over. Bettie was nice enough, but as a twenty-one year old wizard, he was sure he’d driven her up a wall with his energy. But that wouldn’t be kind of him, would it?

This stranger sounded funny, different. He wasn't from around New Zealand, Lou knew that for certain. He paused as the man asked about Bettie, bringing a hand up to rub at his neck. "Bettie is out," he replied, though he hoped as he said it she would appear soon. "What, uh... What did you want to buy?" He asked. He didn't usually handle this aspect of things, but he'd seem Bettie do it. Maybe he could take care of this one and get this stranger on his way again.

Last edited:
No wonder Erik had never met this gentleman before. He didn’t seem the type to interact with customers; not that this was the wrong type to be. On the contrary… Nevermind. He needed to focus- but he could never help a crush.

“I need to replenish my supplies,” Erik said, biting his lip absentmindedly as he dug in his jean pockets for a piece of paper. Nothing. Then he tried his leather jacket. To his horror, he realized he’d left his list back at the flat.

“Damn it… Well, to start, I remember I need a bit of moly and some leaping toadstools. And I’d be happy to buy a few Alihotsy leaves from you.”

Lou waited nervously, watching the house a bit more than he was the man, still hoping Bettie would appear and save him from this nonsense. Lou glanced back as the man cussed, and unthinkingly he chuckled lightly- a deep, throaty chuckle, which was honestly more nerves than anything. "We can head back to the house, see what Bettie has prepared," he offered, though he would be lying if he said he knew what he was doing. Bettie handled these things, the pricing and the selling. He flushed as he realized he hadn't introduced himself, lord, his mother would kill him for being so impolite. "Lou," he blurted, holding his hand out. "My name is Lou Prindeou. I'm Bettie's brother,"

Lou. Erik thought the name suited him. But Prindeou sounded familiar. Truth be told, Erik never learned Bettie’s surname all those years ago. He racked his brain trying to remember where he’d heard it before. It certainly wasn’t here. With the train of friends, lovers, and enemies over the past thirty-four years, it was difficult to keep track. He would need to think about it later, if his woefully short attention span allowed it.

He took the other man’s hand and squeezed it firmly. Erik held it for a split-second longer than he should have. “Erik Drage. Nice to meet you, Lou.” He beamed. Erik couldn’t help himself, but he had to put his sunglasses back on. While it was bright out, his shades had the added benefit of hiding his expression. He tended to go from polite to inappropriate in no time if he didn’t check himself.

“I appreciate the help. Wasn’t sure if you folks were still in business. Sorry to come at an off time.”

Lou took note of the name, and started back towards the house, motioning for Erik to follow him. He shrugged. "If you had come at regular hours Bettie would have been here," he stated simply. "I... Think? She should be back soon, if you would rather wait. I just grow things," he offered, both nervous at the thought of entertaining someone until Bettie returned but also starting to like having the company a little bit. It had been a good while since he'd had someone to speak to aside from members of his family.

Erik grinned. He wouldn't know the regular hours, after all, not anymore, but he didn't point this out. He loved to make a beautiful mistake.

"I'd be happy to wait,” Erik said, following Lou to the house. He might have snuck a glance from behind- he’d never tell. “What’s your favorite plant to grow?” Erik asked. He secretly hoped Bettie wouldn’t show up for a while.

Lou led Erik back to the house, a little relieved the man agreed to wait. He was a little nervous, too, he wasn't exactly known for being good company. They walked in the back door and into the small kitchen, where Lou gestured to the table at the far end of the wall- moderate sized, hand carved oak with four chairs around it, and a nice hydrangea centerpiece. He moved over to the fridge himself, thinking. "Do you like iced tea, hot tea?" He paused. Maybe Erik didn't like tea? "Or maybe some water?" He offered, glancing over to the other man. Once he had gotten them both a drink- water for Lou, he moved to sit at the table. "I, ah... I like my cherry tomatoes," he offered shyly. "They're very good fresh. Why do you need supplies?" He asked, not sure what good conversation was. Was he too forward? Maybe.

Erik wasn’t much for tea. He accepted a glass of ice water and slid into a chair at the oak table. It was cozy. Tracing his finger along a knot in the wood, he sipped at his water. Having switched hemispheres, he was thrown off by the weather, but he was convinced it was an unusually hot day for October in New Zealand.

“Can’t say I was expecting ‘cherry tomatoes’ from a magical plant farmer.” Erik grinned. But that just made him hungry for tomatoes. He wondered if the handsome wizard would offer him any.

“Need to restock after the move. It was more than enough work hauling my cauldron all this way, I used up my supply before I left.”

Lou shrugged, a little bashful. "I like growing a few vegetables, they're better when they're fresh," he admitted shyly. "Would, ah, would you like some?" He asked, wondering if sharing might prove his point.

He was a bit curious at Eriks answer. "Where did you move from? Where do you live? Your cauldron? What do you do?" He asked.

“I’d love some,” Erik said. He was tempted to make a joke about cherries, but he behaved.

Erik had to take a solid pause as he thought about the answers. Initially, Lou had seemed like a man of few words. But first impressions were misleading. “Canada. I’ve got an apartment in Wellington now. I’m a potioneer.” He smiled and threw back the rest of his water. He thought he had answered all of Lou’s questions, but if he hadn’t, he’d tried his best. Erik always forgot about his talent- bringing out a chatty side in people. Not that it worked on everyone.

Lou nodded, standing and moving to the fridge. He returned with a small wicker basket of cherry tomatoes and set them in the middle of the table. He folded himself down into his chair again, popping a cherry tomato in his mouth and enjoying the taste. "Why come here from Canada?" He asked idly. Erik didn't seem to mind the questions, so Lou would answer.

Erik eagerly reached for one of the tomatoes and slipped it into his mouth. It was ripe and flavorful. He reached for another.

“Change of scenery,” Erik replied. He wasn’t ready to drop Mom died and Raphael dumped me on someone he’d just met. His problems were depressing enough to have to deal with- he didn’t want to burden another person with them. “I have a few family members in the area, so thought I’d stop here for now.”

"I take it you've been here a while?"

Lou figured Eriks reasoning made sense, and nodded along, reaching for another tomato. He looked away as the man asked a question of his own. "All my life." He replied simply. "I was born and raised here. Homeschooled. Took over the farm." He shrugged, not adding that most days he thought it a very real possibility he'd die as he'd lived- working the farm. Ir wasn't such a terrible lot, he supposed. A little lonely sometimes. He was glad in that moment Mary would be able to get away- he might not approve of Betties treatment of their niece, but she would have more of a future than either of them had.

Erik and Lou couldn’t have been raised more differently. As Erik listened, he tried to imagine himself living and working in the same place his whole life. He moved around so much, it would make a normal person dizzy. Erik loved hustle and bustle. The property was nice and peaceful, sure, but he wondered if the quiet would drive him mad.

“What was that like?” Erik asked. “Have you traveled anywhere?”

Lou shook his head. "Only to town, on occasion. For the most part I've always been here," he replied, sipping his drink. "Have you traveled a lot yourself?" He asked, looking to the man with curious eyes.

Erik tried to imagine never leaving a place like this. It was a nice little corner of the world, but it reminded him of Churchill: quiet and unremarkable. His adventurous spirit had never been tied down for long. Still, the farmer boy had him interested.

Erik nodded. “When I can afford it.” To be fair, sometimes, he traveled when he couldn’t afford it.

He reached for the bowl of cherry tomatoes at the same time as Lou. Erik pulled back, but accidentally brushed the top of Lou’s hand in the process. Erik grinned sheepishly. He didn’t say sorry- he was a bad Canadian.

Lou nodded lightly. "Potioneering must be a profitable business," he murmured, reaching for the tomatoes. He pulled his hand back as it brushed against Eriks', smiling shyly and looking away. He could feel the blush on his cheeks, and there was an odd skipping of his heart. Lou very much wanted to reach out and hold Erik's hand, but he quickly dismissed the thought. "Have you been many places?" Lou asked instead, quickly changing the subject as he stuck his hands safely in his lap.

Erik laughed nervously. Potions weren’t exactly profitable. “Not quite. But it’s a living, and I’m alive, so…” No one could accuse Erik of being ambitious. At least, not career-wise. He made up for it in other areas of his life.

Erik noticed Lou’s smile when he pulled away. He couldn’t help feeling like he was coaxing a mooncalf out of its burrow.

“Here and there,” Erik said playfully. “Let’s just say I’m a bit restless.”

It went without saying that Erik's answer slightly disappointed Lou. That probably meant Erik wouldn't be back here, then. Lou supposed that made sense. He glanced towards the door, wondering when Bettie would return again. "It sounds like a very exciting life," He spoke quietly, knowing he was in every way very much not interesting at all. His days were always the same- work the farm, cook a few of the meals, split the household chores with his sister. He went to town a few times a month, but nothing really outstanding ever really happened. Unless Mary was home, of course. Lou hated to say he envied a child, but he was often jealous of the life Mary had before her. The possibilities. The experiences. It was Mary's arrival, the reminder of Reece's escape, and he supposed now the arrival of this stray wizard, it was all these things rolled into one that reminded Lou of how little he had really lived.

He cleared his throat, reaching for another tomato and popping it in his mouth. "Have you had lunch?" He asked idly, thinking if Erik hadn't Lou could make them some food, give him something to do with his hands and still his nerves again.

“Eh, I’m nobody special.” Erik leaned back into the oak chair. For some reason, Lou seemed to revert to the way he’d been before. He wondered if he’d said something wrong. Seemed he’d scared the mooncalf.

“Nope- but if you’re offering, I would love lunch.” Erik felt quite spoiled today. He’d come here as a customer, but instead, he was being waited on. It wasn’t every day a wizard had both his eyes and stomach fed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back