Past a clue tries the predictable thought

Shalamar Ovanisse

OOC First Name
Linda
Wand
10 3/4 maple with core of unicorn hair
It was now into the winter season and the snow was thick upon the ground, Shalamar ventured out of her seclusion to wander aimlessly about the school grounds. There was much to consider, much to ponder. Time was moving swiftly and soon she would be returning home and then going to Mongolia where her grandmother wanted her to begin her training. There was so much excitement now within her regarding the dragon whose picture her grandmother had sent her. He looked absolutely tiny and utterly precious, she had been reassured that by the time she returned home he would be the size of a normal cat and unable to breath fire. This apparently could only be accomplished by those over 6 months. She removed the book from her pocket, clad completely in a large fur lined robe with fur lined boots to coat her feet while still managing to wear her uniform underneath. She would have loved nothing better than to sit somewhere to continue reading it but the benches around the grounds were frozen, icicles hanging precariously from them and though they looked beautiful she was not risking either a severe cold or sliding onto the cold hard ground this close to the end of the school term.

Looking about her she could see from this distance that the lake had frozen over and was not at all surprised considering how cold it had been of late. Laughter and chatter were also heard and when she looked again she noticed people on the lake, obviously skating. She smiled but returned to her book on Chinese Fire dragons, inhaling deeply and marveling at the drastic change in direction her life had taken in so short a time. The ground beneath her seemed especially slippery so she moved to the snow capped grass of the garden and enjoyed the crunching of her feet through the virgin snow. She had not given Henric Lee a single thought in over, well in over five hours which was considerable for her. There had been instances where she had been convinced in class he was looking at her but it had only been a trick of the light. Other times she could have sworn the same in the great hall at meal times but there too she had been wrong. They had not spoken to one another in what felt like forever and she knew deep down that she would have loved his opinion on what had become of her or what was to become of her. Smiling now to herself she continued walking leisurely, great plumes of white vapor emitting from her nose and mouth as she did so. This made her chuckle to herself wondering if her dragon was doing something similar but not because of the cold but because he was still incapable of breathing anything but smoke. She would have to come up with a name for him of course and that left her perplexed. What possible name could she give to a dragon?

It had been quite some time since Austin has really conversed with anyone other than Arianna. Not that he had a problem with that, because she was really pretty. Then again, every girl that he had come across now was just really pretty to him. Then again, every girl was pretty to Austin lately. It was crazy. Austin stretched in his bed, before decided to go outside. He put on his Ravenclaw attire to keep him warm, and he left the towers. Austin was not very keen on the snow, but everyone had to give something a chance.

Stepping out onto the grounds, the cold air nipped at his face, where the exposed skin was. Austin did not mind cold weather much, as he knew people that were colder than snow. For example, his uncle, that man gave Austin the willies. He sighed and went to the gardens, where his green eyes spotted a girl his age, and pretty. Austin decided to be a friendly person and approach her. With a subtle smile, Austin grinned, “Hey, what are you doing?” It was a simple question, and he meant nothing by it, other than a conversation and maybe make another friend and not be such a hermit.

A robin flew from a nearby tree and passed her by, landing softly on a bush and seeming to watch her. Shalamar held its gaze trying not to move so as not to startle the bird but she was well aware how cheeky little robins were and how they often came too close to humans, sometimes to their own detriment. Her foot crunched down into the snow and he flew off immediately and as she turned her smiling face to watch him fly away she saw a familiar face smiling at her. The boy was a fellow third year as herself and also a Ravenclaw. This year seemed to be bringing the Ravenclaws out of the woodwork, first Artemis and now this boy. She rattled her brains trying to remember what the professors called him because she spent very little time in the common room. His name alluded her but she returned his smile all the same.
"Enjoying the crisp cold air and reading. What are you doing?" it seemed a silly conversation to be having when it was blatantly obvious to both what the other was doing but etiquette had to be maintained and formalities met.
"I am Shalamar, I have forgotten your name but you are in my classes" wouldn't it be wonderful to make another friend? the thought made her smile again, so far this year had been incredible and if the promise of another friend was on the horizon she would not pass it by. She had already spent much too long closeted away.

Austin wanted to remember this girl’s name, but just couldn’t. While the professors in class had called role all these years, he just could not remember her name for the life of him. His sparkling green eyes seemed to mirror his smile, and he shrugged, “Oh, just trying to enjoy the winter, and getting out more.” Typical Ravenclaw Austin was, he preferred to curl by the fire and read a book. However, he was determined to get out more and make more friends, even if that means enjoying the outdoors like a normal teenager. Austin thought that her name was rather interesting but decided not to comment on it. Austin nodded, “We are third year Ravenclaws then. I’m Austin. Pleasure to meet you, Shalamar.” Austin wondered if he were one of the only people with a rather blah name. It didn’t bother him, but it did make him think though.

The winter weather was indeed something to enjoy providing you were a child intent on building snowmen or indulging in snowball fights, the adults grumbled about it being difficult but muggles faired far worse in these conditions. Water froze, travelling conditions became hazardous, it often bothered Shalamar that the magical community did not bandy together to come to their aid. Another plume of cold breath danced in the air as she shivered into the warmth of her fur robes. Grateful that she had them and making a note that she would have to bring plenty with her on her trip to Mongolia.

"I like your name" she said in earnest, Shalamar had come to enjoy the strange names of the western students some sounding so exotic and other worldly,"Au- st- in" she repeated it quietly liking its sound. A smile then as she closed her book and held it close to herself.
"The pleasure is mine to share Austin. Would you like some company? I have kept myself indoors a lot as well, there are many by the lake if you wish to try to skating on it?" she had never done it herself before but all the laughter from those pursuing that activity was infectious and she was not adverse to trying something new.

Austin adjusted his Ravenclaw scarf around his neck, making sure that it wasn't exposed. The cold was not very hospitable at times, especially to the fair skinned boy. Austin smiled warmly when she said that he liked his name, "Yours is pretty awesome too. I guess since we come from different sides of the world, our names sound interesting to each other." Austin hated rambling, but it happened every once and a while. Austin glanced over at the frozen lake, before his green eyes landed on Shalamar once again. Austin nodded when she asked to share in company, but his smile lessened when she mentioned skating on the lake. Austin had never done that, but he was all about something new. "I can try to skate, but no guarantees on me not falling." He wasn't worried over his legs, but mostly his arm. It was slightly...immovable. Austin always had trouble with moving it, ever since his special 'trip' down the stairs. However, over the years, Austin has done his best not to really dwell on the bad things in the past.

Shalamar heartily agreed with the boys statement as she watched another plume of cold air emit from her mouth. Picking up her wand she cast a triangle shape inside the plume then creating small bubbles watched them float away again the snowy back drop.
"I have found that to be so since I got here, there are some beautiful names that no one in my country would ever consider using. Then again my own name is not exactly Chinese" she appeared embarrassed by this admonition.

She noted that his eyes were a really striking green shade and found herself becoming slightly awkward under his gaze. This was a new experience for so far the only one to ever make her feel anything had been Henric who it had been revealed to her from her best friend, Shalamar had made the great mistake of telling she loved him. Granted she had been delirious and hoping fervently that he would accept it as the ramblings of a crazy girl, she had tried to put it from her mind. But he was either avoiding her since or fate no longer wished them to meet. Whatever the reason, the young girl knew without a shadow of a doubt that she missed him from her world. Perhaps it was why she was making such a conscious effort to befriend people, to see if anyone could fill the gaping hole his absence had left within her yet knowing none could.

"Then it will be no guarantees on either side" she smiled walking along in the direction of the lake. As they approached it the laughter was palatable from the other students. It seemed quite simply as if fun was in the air but all were wearing appropriate shoes. Glancing at her own and then at Austin's she knew their shoes would not suit at all.
"Any ideas?"they were after all Ravenclaws and should be able to come up with something.

Austin watched this Shalamar with interest, and he stopped himself from blushing. Curse them hormones of his! Every time he ever talked to a girl, he always ended up crushing on her in some form of fashion. It was something that this third year just couldn’t help. ”Really, that is very interesting!” truthfully tuned the Ravenclaw. Austin wanted to lick his lips to help keep them moisturized however that would end up in disaster. He would receive a painful case of the chapped lips. That was just something that he seriously did not want the following day.

Gazing over his shoes, even lifted one to see them and saw that he would just slip and fall even just one step onto the ice. He had followed Shalamar to the lake, and he frowned. Austin muttered, ”I would suggest just socks, but I think that would be more dangerous for our health. Um, I am clueless on what to do. My transfiguration skills aren’t that strong.” Perhaps if they couldn’t figure out something, then maybe they could do some other sort of an activity. It would be cool and fun. Austin just hoped that it had something to do with the cold, like snow or ice.

Shalamar continued to look out upon the lake, for all the world it looked as if she were daydreaming not paying him any attention what so ever but that wasn't true. Her mind worked away as it always did while taking in every word he said and then she had it. In her excitement she turned to look at him touching his arm as she did so. A dazzling smile bewitching her face.
"I have it." she told him releasing his arm and moving to the edge. Kneeling down she trained her wand on a piece of the frozen lake. It was really thick and deep so she hoped her idea actually worked. Pointing her wand she called incendio and directing the flame with extreme caution and care began to work her way around in a square shape almost as if she were welding through the ice. Once finished she used her wand again to lift the thick frozen block out and hovered it to the grass between them. Again she worked with the incendio spell dividing the block into four rectangles, tiny drops began melting down the sides of them but she then cast the petrificus spell halting any more degeneration of the ice blocks.

She looked up at Austin and smiled again.
"Now to just put these onto the under side of our shoes" she grinned. Sitting cross legged on the grass now she removed her shoes and suggested to Austin to do the same. She passed him two of the rectangles and as she looked at him properly for possibly the first time she could not help but think how beautiful he was. Henric was utterly and completely handsome there was no faulting that but this boy with his strange green eyes looked positively beautiful. She blushed slightly realizing she had been staring then went back to explaining what they should do.

"If we cancel the petrificus totalus spell they are under and heat the tops just enough for them to begin to melt again, we place them directly against our shoes. As the water drips on we petrify the entire thing which should hold them in place until we are done skating. Then we simply depetrify and the block comes off again." she began her own immediately hoping that it would actually work. It took a moment but sure enough there in her hand was her first make shift ice-skate that she held up to show him.
"Looks like we'll be skating after all".

Austin's green eyes narrowed when the Ravenclaw thought of something. He watched her go to work, and at first, he didn't know what she was going for, but after a bit, he realized what she was doing. Austin was book smart, not necessarily smart and creative with magic. "Wow, Shalamar. I would not have thought of that at all!" It was a no wonder she was in Ravenclaw if she could invent ice-skates by means of well, ice and shoes. Moving to the edge, he took out his wand and he sat on the grass to put the ice onto his shoes. He took off his shoes and he took the rectangles to put on his shoes. He went to work on one shoe, and he successfully made it into an ice-skate.

Putting the transformed shoe on, he started to work on the other shoe to turn it into an ice-skate. Austin grinned to himself, hoping that he would be as creative as she one day. Green eyes glimmered in the light, and he moved the now second transformed shoe back onto his feet. Slowly, he stood up and held out a hand for Shalamar to stand up with him. "I believe we can attempt to. I'm not going to be the first to step out onto the ice though," spoke the young boy with a playful smirk on his face.

She smiled accepting his compliment, with Artemis as her bestfriend she had come to slowly accept this natural propensity of hers for paying one to Shalamar on a regular basis. Politeness of course dictated that she accept in good grace the positive and negative things that people told her and now for the first time in a while she found she not adverse to accepting Austin's compliment. Perhaps because it was to do with her intellect and not her looks that made this so.

Her form bent religiously over the task at hand until she too was now sporting the makeshift ice-skates. Austin held a hand out to her and smiling she reached up and took it. She could only grin at how he was not willing to be first out on the ice.
"Is it because you are afraid that you may fall? Or that you don't want people to think your ice-shoes are funny?" her own smile sweetly supressed she kept her hand in his and placing one foot on the ice and then the other,looked back at her house mate.
"It is save come one, I won't let you go" she smiled then at him, hoping he knew she meant that she would try to keep him standing for as long as she possibly could but as this was also her first time too, the chances of them both falling were gravely high.

Pushing herself back another step she kept her eyes focused on him. She was not brave in any real sense of the word but now that she knew her destiny Shalamar seemed to be taking risks where she would never have before.

Austin gripped her hand a bit tight, but not enough to hurt her. "Um, I just don't want to fall. I could careless what people think of me," chuckled the Ravenclaw as he took one step onto the ice. Already, his legs were wobbling like a newborn giraffe. He was breathing a bit loudly, as he was more than just a bit nervous. After two steps, Austin was regaining some confidence. Austin gave Shalamar a smile, and he released her hand and he muttered, "I think I have it!" Austin tried to step once more, but he slipped a bit, and his hand managed to catch himself from face-planting on the ice. His skin went numb from the contact with the lake's cold ice, but Austin stood up straight. He sighed. He was embarrassed but he was starting to get the ice-skating with homemade shoes. This was harder than it looked like!

She chuckled along with him at his reasoning, guiding her own way out across the ice as they finally released each others hands. Shalamar paused for a while to look at how the others skated about before making any attempt herself but a loud thump caused her to turn abruptly to see Austin on the cold hard ground. Smiling as he stood up again she could not help but give a very uncharacteristic wink.

"That's the spirit" another smile at this rate with the cold seeming to drop in temperature about them her smile would freeze in place. Lifting her hands out as if holding onto something invisible Shalamar took a step forward as if about to march. She followed with her other foot in the same manner and then again getting exciting that she might actually be doing it when she too toppled and fell. Crashing down hard on her elbow. It took more of an effort to get up especially with the robes she was wearing so sighing with frustration held up her hands.

"Austin do you mind terribly?" she would have to start using her wand soon to drop cushions or something under her or to lift herself up. She certainly couldn't expect Austin to keep coming ... she froze. To her rescue, another boy who she needed to help her. No, this was not happening. She would not keep being the girl that had to be saved by a boy, knowing she could if she tried hard enough though it meant looking and behaving extremely unladylike she decided then and there that she did not care anymore. Dragon keepers were surely not all politeness and etiquette.
Turning around on all fours she waved him away again.

"I'll manage, really" and though it took her exceedingly longer Shalamar did managed to stand, "At this rate we might actually become experts at falling down". She gave a soft chuckle before attempting another few steps.

Austin once more tried to skate in the fashion after observing the others, and he managed sliding across the ice smoothly for a foot, before Austin almost slipped and fell. Austin heard Shalamar call out his name, and he had seen her fall. Austin slowly made his way over to her, but as it turned out, she helped herself up before he could even get there. "Maybe we should stay close to the edge, in case we become terribly hurt or something, and can help each other if need be. Glad that you managed though." Austin would have been worried if she couldn't get up on her own. That could have meant that she was seriously hurt. Sometimes, sports seemed to be harsh on the human body.

Austin glanced at her elbow, and he murmured, "Shalamar, is your elbow okay?" A sense of worry clouded his green eyes. If she hurt herself, then Austin would not know what to do, how to help. "Yeah, experts at falling down. I can see that on the front page of Hogwarts Monthly," laughed the Ravenclaw. He started to skate a bit, becoming more and more stable as he stepped on the ice. He just hoped that he could hold up for more than ten seconds.

Rubbing her arm once more she realized it did ache something terrible. She may not be a heavy set person but still all her weight coming down on her elbow on to hard ice had hurt. Smiling at him she nodded weakly.
"It will be fine" she assured him determined to work through the pain and get the hand of this skating business. Again she made the motion as if she were about to march, took three small steps before gliding along. A bright smile as she turned to Austin.

"I'm doing it, Austin I'm doing it" she was so excited that her balance though usually perfect, faltered now and she fell backwards this time onto her backside. She was not only laughing now at his perfectly timed comment but at her penchant for falling on the cold ice.

After ten seconds was passed, and Austin still managed to not fall, he was getting more and more confident. Austin gave her a smile when she said that she would be fine. He had no reason to not believe her. He just hoped that she would not fall again or at least, fall in a way that would hurt herself even more. "I'm glad you are!" But that hope was short lived when she fell straight on her backside. While gliding across the ice, Austin tried to stop and get closer to her with a subtle smile on his lips when the ice shoes caught on the ice, and Austin too fell. However, when he fell, he managed to twist his leg a bit in the wrong direction, and Austin winced as he sat up. "Okay, that fall really hurt..." It wasn't anything too bad, thankfully, but it was enough to make Austin feel it. He simply sat there for a moment, rubbing the aching right leg, before he struggled to stand up, which only resulted in him falling once more. Austin laughed before he shrugged, "Make it official. Ice hates me."

She watched him skate over to her a smile on his face yet still all she could do was laugh. Shalamar could not remember when she had laughed so much, it felt strange but good, refreshing and carefree. Just as Austin was about to reach her, she watched in shock as he fell as well. Trying hard to resist it she could not help but smile. Stifling it seemed to make it worse as she saw him struggle up only to repeat the procedure again.
This time she did laugh, hers mingling through out the winter air with his own and the other hysterical sounds of teenagers having a good time on the ice. As she gazed about her it would seem they were not the only ones to fall.

Standing up slowly she bent her ankle sideways and using her wand broke the ice shard free from the shoe, doing the same to the other one she then moved carefully over to Austin. Outstretched hand to help him she smiled once again.
"We'll find another winter pursuit, how are you at building snow shapes like wizards and things?"

With a sigh, he pulled out his wand from his robes and he released both blocks of ice from his shoes. Austin glanced up and he slowly took her hand in his. Instantly, he blushed from contact as he stood himself up. Austin rubbed his right thigh and he said with a crooked grin, "I can make a snowman if that counts for anything. As for anything else, well, I don't exactly know to be honest." Austin was raised basically in a muggle household, with hardly anything magical. He was slowly adjusting now that he was living with his dad and his new step-mother. Things would be better, Austin just knew it.

Slowly, he made his way to the ice, realizing just now that he hadn't let go of Shalamar's hand. Releasing the gentle hold, Austin collapsed on the snow-covered lawn, and he smiled up at the cloudy sky. Soon, it would start to flurry some, and Austin could enjoy the winter even more. "Ever made a snow angel?" asked the Ravenclaw. Then, two hands covered his face as he sneezed. Good thing nothing came out, and he shook his head. "Excuse me," chuckled Austin.

Smiling as he placed his hand in hers, Shalamar did not flinch or react in any way to the contact. It was as if they had been doing this for a long time, it felt serenely comfortable and right yet she noticed the slight blush in his own face. Courtesy dictated that she at least act as if she had not seen his blush.
"A snowman is good" she confided as they made their way from the ice only on reaching the edge did both seem to realize that they were still holding hands. To her it was a big deal that she had held a boys hand without getting all embarrassed about the proper code of conduct and such but with Austin there did not seem to be any of that. The mutual embarrassment was more endearing than anything else, most definitely not an insult.

Watching as he threw himself down she removed a hankerchief when he sneezed and handed it to him. Sitting down along side of him with a perplexed look on her face.
"What are snow angels?" they sounded beautiful though and instantly she wanted to know how to make them.

He took the handkerchief from her and Austin chuckled, "So glad I'm not sick." How glad he was that he wasn't sick. Being sick in front of someone, especially in front of a female. That would be just embarrassing. "Snow angels are when you lay down in the snow, and well, do this." He laid on his back, and he made somewhat back and forth and then he stopped when he felt the snow against his skin. Standing, he made a successful snow angel. Austin pointed at it and he said with a smile, "See? It looks like an angel."

My muse is completely gone! o:

Listening intently to his explanation of just what snow angels were she was even more rivetted when he lay himself backwards onto the cold snow and began waving his arms and legs about. She could not help but smile until eventually the smile became a soft chuckle and when he finally stood she stared in awe at the figure he had printed on the snow.

"Austin that is amazing. I have to try one" she grinned lying down immediately and mimicking his exact movements on the snow. She gathered herself up carefully turning around to look at her own attempt. Clapping her hands delightedly at how adorable it looked she wanted to do the girl thing of squealing but managed to restrain herself.

Why she was behaving so out of character with Austin she didn't know but now she was reaching for his hand and bringing him to a patch of untouched snow grinning broadly.
"Snow-wizard time or snowman it's the same thing really" releasing his hand she knelt down in the snow to compact a ball, "but we have to do it manually, no magic involved."

my muse dried up too - hate having the flu :(
[/color]

Austin was glad that he could show someone the delights of something so small and simple into something amazing as this. It wasn't often someone enjoyed the small things, even those as small as snow angels. "I think yours looks better than mine," spoke the Ravenclaw without a lie in his words. It was good to actually talk and be himself with someone, even if she were sort of a stranger to him. At least she wasn't bullying him or anything. Austin felt her hand touching his, and then the coldness of snow. He glanced down at the snow in his hand, and he compacted it into a ball, attempting to mimic Shalamar. Austin nodded, "I think I might be better off without magic actually. So, what do you do?" He wondered if her version of a snowman was like his. His, it was something a lot bigger than just one handful of snow, and it would stand at a height of himself. That didn't make him any less interested though.

Aww, the flu? I hope you get better! ):

Shalamar turned to smile at him as he complemented her snow angel. Amazed that taking even the smallest praise from him seemed easy. She found herself hoping that they would become good friends, feeling relaxed in any boys company always seemed like a minefield to her. She had never as yet been able to do so.
"And I think your effort outshines mine."

The snow in her hand was bitterly cold, she had removed her gloves for the purpose of building the snowman. Once she had the first ball made she placed it back on the ground and began to simply roll it about until it began to gather more snow to itself, pressing the fresh layers enough for them to hold in place.
"You do not know how to make a snow... person?" kneeling back in the snow she looked at him quizzically, "I would imagine the same way you would make a snow man. Roll up a ball of snow until it's big enough then build from there I guess."
she laughed then her chocolate brown eyes smiling at him.
"You know I always just built one but never discussed with any one the aesthetics of building one."

Standing up to look at the slightly larger snowball on the ground, a competitive streak that usually only came about when she was with her siblings tickled her now.
"How about we built a snow ... thing each and see how it turns out from there? you build your way and I'll built my way."

Austin put the now firm snowball on the ground, before he too started to roll it about. "Neither have I. And okay then. Guarantee yours will outlive mine though," chuckled the Ravenclaw as he chased the ball around like a cat chasing a mouse. This was highly enjoyable, and maybe after this, he would go inside for some nice, warm hot chocolate and a book. Austin packed the now much larger snowball on the ground, and started rolling another ball of snow to place on top of the bottom, big pile of snow.

Lifting the ball of snow onto the bigger ball, he started the same process with the head. Once that was finished, it came out to look like a neat...somewhat done snowman. However, Austin wasn't finished. Taking some snow, he made the body even, and then made a very...square looking snow person without a face. "I am so not doing this right." Austin rolled his green eyes at himself, as he started to make a face with his finger in the snow, giving the snowman a goofy ( :erm: ) looking face.

Her hands packed the snow as tightly as she could, kneeling on the cold ground made her shiver as she continued to roll for all she was worth. An idea struck her then as she looked at a nearby bench that some stupid students had graffiteed, no doubt the caretaker would clean it up soon enough. She lifted the medium sized ball over and placed it on top of the bench then with her back to Austin worked meticulously gathering snow and bringing it to the bench over and over. She lost track of time as she became so intent on her pursuit. This was great, even if her hands were red and frozen through now, her nose was also a bright red shade and she was once again starting to shiver but she was also thoroughly enjoying herself. Finally she stepped back to admire her handy work, it wasn't the best she had ever created but then again she had not used magic this time. Turning to look at Austin's she smiled but continued to block her own. Embarressed now that she had taken hers to a totally different level.

"That is great Austin" and she did mean it, she wasn't being condescending or anything, " I'm really really cold now, so would you mind if I left you and went back inside to the warmth of the common room. I fear my hands will fall off other wise."She smiled at him then before thanking him for a wonderful day. Truly she hoped they would be friends and would be able to talk with one another again. She bid him farewell and began to run back to the school her discarded book in her hand once more and in her wake was the snowman she had created..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back