Out Of Hours.

Dan Adams

Dan knew fully well that students weren't meant to fly, except in practice/games, especially not after school hours. Dan had always longed to be in the Quidditch Team, but his lack of ability to work in a team meant that Dan had never even bothered to try-out. He would end up hitting someone.

It wasn't yet dark, but the sun had gone down, and Dan stood beside his old, and tattered broom which he had kept for years. He was ready to take-off. Dan lifted his leg over his broom then lightly pushed off, and flew up to the hoops and around. For Dan, doing this was more because he knew that he wasn't meant to be doing it than for any other reason. That was just Dan. Dan laughed to himself as he stopped himself in mid-air. It was un-likely that the Professors would still be on watch as the dark skies approached.

Professor Weasley was just about to head out of her office to head up to her room when she happened to pass by the window. It was open a bit and there was a draft entering the room, so Cyndi used her wand to send the books she'd been carrying over to the bookcase where she'd been heading to place them. Cyndi was trying her best to keep her office neat, and for the past few weeks she'd been fairly successful.

Opening the curtains up, the professor reached her hands to push down the window, but something caught her eye. Down on the quidditch pitch there appeared to be someone flying around even though it was dusk. She stopped and watched for a moment, trying to peer closer to see who it was but it was too dark to see. She paused for a moment and then slammed the window shut and left her room quickly to go find out who was behaving so dangerously.

Dan heard a window slam shut behind him, and hoped that it wasn't a Professor. As Dan turned to face the window, he vaguely noticed a Female figure walking out of the room in a hurry. 'Damn it.' Dan muttered to himself, knowing that through the window, was a Professor's Office. He wasn't sure which Professor, but Dan thought that it would be best to get back on the ground.

Dan landed safely, and headed towards the Castle. He wasn't afraid of trouble, but Dan had learnt not to play around at a height the bad way. The last time he had teased a Professor when at a height he had a fallen.....And it hurt. He would always remember that tree, and he would never forget that detention with Weasley. When Dan reached the edge of the Castle, he led his broom against the castle wall, then stood next to it, leaning against the wall with his back slightly. Dan waited to see if a Professor would turn up. He hoped he hadn't been caught, but it would make an interesting evening if a Professor did turn up, Dan should've probably been within the walls of the Castle by now anyway.

Professor Weasley held her robes up slightly as she walked down the stairs. When she reached the bottom, Cyndi ignored the students who were milling around waiting until the last few minutes before curfew came around and they would have to retire to their common rooms for the evening. She nodded her head to several of them and then turned her attention towards the door. Right beside it, Cyndi saw Dan Adams with a broom laying beside him.

With narrowed eyes, she walked over to him and then stopped, her hands placed on her hips. "Mr. Adams. What are you doing here?" she asked, eyeing the broom as she waited for his reply. She wasn't going to jump to any conclusions just yet, but it was kind of suspicious that he happened to be right beside the door when she'd just witnessed someone flying outside.

Dan watched as Professor Weasley appeared from the Castle Doors. He shot her a little smirk as she approached him and spoke. "Good Evenin' to you to Professa..." Dan replied as he looked around the Quidditch Pitch. "I dunno why I'm 'ere really..." Dan said, putting on the 'hard act', but remaining calm as he answered her question. Dan pushed himself away from the wall, so he stood up properly to talk to the Professor.

"And what about you Professor...students up to no good are they?" Dan asked with a cheeky laugh, looking down towards the ground as he smiled to himself. He knew the limits of this Professor, and he was quite glad that it had been Weasley who had caught him this evening. This way, Dan knew he wouldn't get himself into to much trouble.

OOCOut of Character:
Sorry for the slow reply. :p

Professor Weasley listened to Dan speak and knew that he was likely the one she'd seen on the pitch and she didn't even need to be a Seer to figure it out. His smirk and his demeanor went a long way to letting her know all she needed to. Crossing her arms across her chest, Cyndi gave him a look before speaking. "I'm only concerned with one student at the moment...one who was flying about on the pitch even though it is clearly too dark to be doing so now."

She looked pointedly at his broom and then back at Dan. "Do you know anything about it?" She certainly wasn't going to punish a student without proof of their guilt and even though she and Dan already had a history, she would not just assume guilt. That didn't mean she wasn't suspicious though.

OOCOut of Character:
No worries ^_^

Dan let out a little chuckle at the Professor's reply. He decided to play around a little as Dan was in a good mood today. "Really Professor?....students out at dark? That's so rude...disturbing a Professor just before their bedtime." Dan said cheekily, acting fakely shocked. Dan chucked his broom to the other hand, and caught it close to the Professor. "Honestly...why would they do that to you?" Dan said sarcastically, taking a glance at his broom then back again. He knew how obvious it was that he was the guilty one, but Dan liked to play with the Professor's nerves.

"Do I know anything about it? Why would I know anything about it?..." Dan turned to the Professor and put on his best puppy face. "Really...Innocent me?" Dan said, before snapping out of the innocent act and laughing. "So seeing as I'm 100% innocent...I guess I can go." Dan said cheekily, taking a few steps forward, as if to leave, but knowing that the Professor would probably stop him in his tracks the very second he walked past her.

Cyndi's eyes narrowed as she slowly realized that Dan was teasing her. Does he think I'm stupid? She wondered to herself as he chucked his broom back and forth all but guaranteeing that she would notice it if she hadn't already. It didn't matter though because she surely had. As he began to walk away, Cyndi held out her hand to stop him."Where do you think you are you off to so fast?" she began. If he was in such a rush, she was going to take all the time in the world to get to her point.

"You know...the funny thing is that you have a broom with you and will you look at that, we aren't really that far from the pitch. And last I checked, you weren't on the Gryffindor team, so unless you can explain to me where you've been, I might be tempted to think that you were the one I saw." She waited for his reply, quite curious to see how he would spin this.

Dan wasn't surprise when the Professor stopped him. He took a small step backwards, then looked at the Professor. "Well you know Professor...thought I should get to bed..." Dan said, continuing the jokey mood, hoping to get on her nerves a little. Dan enjoyed it more than anything, especially with this Professor, who he had, had past experiences with. And Dan knew that the extent of this Professor's detentions weren't usually that challenging.

Dan laughed at the Professor's point and replied with what was probably the most annoying answer. "Good point Professor..." Dan trailed off, still chucking his broom back and forth. "But" Dan caught his broom in the hand that was nearest to the Professor. "Who can prove it was me?" Dan questioned, not really bothered whether she had a decent answer for him or not, he just liked to drag things out. "But as I said...off to bed." Dan said cheekily, moving forward a further few steps once again. Dan would have usually lost his temper by now, but being in a good mood, Dan decided to tease a little more before he fought his case.

Dan's nonchalance was really beginning to grate on her nerves. "Quit it Mr. Adams" she said, the lack of amusement easily viewed on her face. She was in no mood for his chuckling or his attempts to charm his way out of trouble. "I am not in the mood for your smart aleck comments or any joking." She crossed her arms before continuing.

"Well unfortunately Mr. Adams, I have a rather easy job because I don't need to prove your guilt to you. If you want to get out of trouble you need to prove your innocence to me." She was thoroughly annoyed now and if Dan continued he might very well cost the house some points. She wasn't so nice that she wouldn't take points away from her own house if necessary. She did after all want to prove to the students that she was no pushover and if that meant giving harsh punishments and not taking any stuff from her students, so be it. "So, unless you have some way of proving to me that it wasn't you on that pitch, you will be receiving detention tomorrow."

Dan was shocked by how strict the Professor came across. It most certainly wasn't how she used to be. But this was Dan, he didn't let her change in attitude affect how he talked to her. Turning the hard-act back on, Dan looked at the Professor straight in the eyes. "I don't need to prove anythin' to the likes of you." Dan decided to play harsh back to the Professor. It was just the way Dan was, even if it did dig him into a deeper hole than he was already in.

"And Professor...you already know that a little detention doesn't bother me in the slightest..." Dan added. It was true, Dan was a tough nut, only physical pain could break Dan, putting aside his family for the moment, and even pain was hard to inflict upon Dan. It was something that he had gotten well and truly used to over the years. Mainly from his Dad, but also through other people, many of whom he had fallen out with in the past. "I think someone's let the promotion go to their heads a little...don't you Professor?" Dan harshly teased, knowing that Professor Weasley was now his Head Of House...not just any old Professor.

Dan wasn't usually that harsh to someone unless he truly hated them, or if they quite frankly, deserved to be punched. But seeing as the Professor was being hard on him tonight, Dan thought he'd dig in a little deeper, try and touch a nerve. Then Dan would soon see the normal and maybe frightened person behind this 'Professor's Act'...that every Professor seemed to carry in front of them, and hold it tightly within their reach, so they could put it on whenever they needed to. Dan wouldn't intentionally scare the Professor...not unless she took her frustration a little further, then Dan would snap.

"Oh really?" she said in surprise that Dan would speak to her in the way that he was. She knew that he was a little rough around the edges but today he was being even more rude than usual. Professor Weasley was already having a not-so-great day and it seemed that the day was determined to end on a bad not as well. "Fine...if detention doesn't bother you, then you won't mind doing one. Tomorrow" she declared, ready to retire to her rooms. Obviously the last detention hadn't really done much to him, so she was determined to come up with a more harsh punishment.

"Now, unless you'd like another detention, I suggest you get up to the Common Room before curfew, Dan" she said, crossing her arms across her chest. She wasn't appreciating his tone or his attitude, especially since she'd gone easy on him last time.

Dan, being in a particularly cheeky mood, continued to play on this hard-act of his. It seemed to be working just the way he wanted it to, and Dan loved getting his own way. "A detention doesn't bother me...the fact that it's tomorrow night does...'cause that means spending another night with you...and that ain't gonna be no fun is it Professor?" Dan was being especially harsh now. As much as he couldn't careless about his punishment, Dan liked to at least try and work his way out of it, even if most of the time, he found himself close to much worse punishments than just simply a detention.

Dan laughed as the Professor tried to move him along. "Professor you just don't get the point do you...1) You know the threat of another detention isn't gonna make me move. And 2) I ain't movin' for nobody." Dan said, leaning back against the wall, and imitating the Professor by crossing his arms. "Not even You are that lucky Professor..." Dan said, knowing that last time around, this Professor had been willing to joke with him a little. Which had made Dan respond to her orders a little better, even if he did mess her around a little. But now Dan played with the cheekiness. He got a boost from watching Professor's loose their temper a little. "Not even you..." He trailed off.

Professor Weasley held back the urge to roll her eyes. She knew that Dan was one of those students who responded better when people were nicer to him, so she softened her tone though every part of her wanted to just send him to the Headmistress's office. "No, it probably won't be any fun...but on the bright side, I probably won't be there" she stated easily, not letting him rile her up.

When Dan told her that he wasn't going to be moving, she looked at him for a moment and then spoke. "So, you'd rather stay out here. Fine. But, if another professor catches you out, I can't promise they'll go so easy on you or that I'll care." She walked back towards the doors and when her hand was on the knob and she was about to enter, Professor Weasley turned around. "Have a nice night Mr. Adams. I look forward to seeing you tomorrow." With that, she entered the castle once more and walked up to her room. If Dan did not end up showing up, she would have no choice but to bring him before the Headmistress.

Dan followed the Professor into the castle, but was a couple of seconds behind her. Dan was subtle and quiet as he followed the Professor up to her room, hoping she wouldn't spot him. Dan was just in a purely evil mood now. It was going to be fun for him, but not for anyone who crossed his paths. As the Professor reached her room Dan walked round to the other side of her and leant against the wall. "OY." He said quite loudly, before pausing a little. "What do you mean 'tomorrow'...I told you...tomorrow ain't happenin'...." He explained once more. Dan would probably turn up if his detention did end up being the next day, but he liked to try and prolong his punishment for as long as he possibly could.

"So are you gonna change the day or what?" Dan demanded rather rudely. "Cause you know you won't get me tomorrow..." He said, sneaking infront of the Professor's door, blocking her entrance. He put his hands on either side of the door frame. "So...next week I take it?" Dan asked firmly, he had clicked that the Professor had changed her attitude towards him slightly, but Dan was having none of it. Yeah it usually worked, and it almost had done this time, until Dan had decided to act up again. "Or even not at all...if you want any sleep tonight..." Dan said, in an almost threatening voice. The youthful teenager could come across ruder than he needed to be sometimes. But that wasn't to say that Dan was going to try and change his attitude and behaviour towards the Professors and other students. No way was that happening, this was Dan.

Professor Weasley didn't bother looking back as she made her way back up to the Gryffindor common room area where her own rooms were. She was looking forward to enjoying some tea and relaxing with a good book now that it was nearing curfew and she knew that nearly all of the students were in the common room or would be arriving there shortly. When Dan leaned against the wall and began to speak, she jumped slightly. "Merlin Dan!" she exclaimed, putting a hand to her heart where she could feel the increased beats. As she crossed her arms once more, Cyndi smirked. "Guess you decided to come in after all?"
It took her a few seconds to realize that he was still going on about having his detention on another day. That's not gonna happen, she thought to herself. There was no way she was going to go back on what she'd said. What kind of Head would that make her if the students thought she was some kind of pushover. She'd never be able to get their respect. And Dan had to know that being a Gryffindor herself, Cyndi was much like him- stubborn and hating to have people tell her what to do. "Nope. I think tomorrow's definitely going to be the day. So I guess you'll have the night to decide if you want to show up" she was not going to scream at him though a part of her did want to hex him for his mouth. If he didn't show up, he likely wouldn't be her problem for much longer. She was his Head of House after all, and if he didn't want to listen to her, there wasn't much the school could do for him.

"And just so we're clear, I don't appreciate the threat Dan. Do they work on you?" she allowed that to sink in before continuing. "No, right? Well, you and I are a lot more alike than you'll ever realize. I just go about things in a better way. Now move. I'd like to get inside and feed my owl." Even though her owl slept in the owlery, he still stopped by for a treat before he went off to fly for the night.

Dan laughed as the Professor jumped at his appearance. He had hoped for that reaction, and was quite glad to have gotten it. "Yeah I came...I ain't stupid ya know...besides...I'm done flyin' about for the day..." Dan stated, as if he wasn't bothered in the slightest.

Dan wondered what his punishment would be...and how far he could push the Professor before she snapped. Dan was almost looking for that snap reaction from the Professor. He enjoyed playing with her nerves. How long could she hold it out before she gave Dan a rollocking? And how long would it be before the Professor did something that she would regret. Not neccassarily in terms of the safety of her job, but her, what was sometimes a stable and building relationship with Dan. Deep down inside Dan liked this Professor, she knew how to deal with him. It may not have worked this evening, but Dan knew what this Professor was trying to get at. She seemed like a normal person behind the Professor Act, and Dan liked that feature in her. He just wanted to find it, dig it out, then bring it to the surface.

"Threat Professor? What Threat?" Dan said, playing innocent, but refusing to move an inch as the Professor continued to speak. "And no...they don't work on me for your information...so tough luck Professor..." Dan joked, with a mischievous chuckle before listening to what else the Professor had to say. Dan hadn't yet noticed, apart from Gryffindor, the similarities between the two yet, although he hoped that he soon would. Dan laughed as the Professor told him that she needed to feed her owl. It seemed like a pathetic excuse to Dan. To anyone else, it would be a sweet thing to care for a pet, but from Dan's point of view, it was just a waste of time. "Feed your owl?" He said, mid-laugh. "...Be careful not poison it Professor..." Dan said, finishing with a small laugh, then moving to the side of the door-frame so that the Professor could get in. "Oh yeah and one more thing..." Dan paused for a while. "BOO." He joked, speaking loudly into the Professor's face, as if to try and scare her. Knowing it probably wouldn't work, but Dan liked to tease.

Professor Weasley's face remained calm as if she dealt with students like Dan every day. That definitely wasn't the case though. Most of the students she dealt with were very easygoing, rule abiders. Dan was something else. Sometimes, he wasrather easygoing and in a joking mood and other times, he was much harder and tougher to read. It was almost like he had two completely different personalities.

It wasn't until he spoke about poisoning that Cyndi's face changed. She loved her owl. It had been a gift from one of her oldest friends and to think that anything might befall it made her feel really sad. Especially since that particular friend, Estrella had recently lost her husband. "That isn't funny...not at all" she said rather angrily as she walked past him and received his last little annoyance. She responded by slamming her door shut and locking it. If he wanted to be that way, it was fine. He didn't seem to be very fond of owls. A smile crept on her face as she realized what she could have him do.

OOCOut of Character:
So sorry for the delay :(

Dan knew he was well out of order, but he didn't appreciate having the door shut in his face. Dan kicked off as he heard the door lock. "What's Not Funny!!!?" He yelled through the door. Dan's temper could switch from one to the other within seconds. One minute he'd be laid-back and jokey, like he didn't have a care in the world, and the next he'd be threatening and scary. Dan kicked the door with force, then punched it, before putting his hands to his head, and leaning against the wall, before sinking down to the ground. "URGHHH." Dan grumbled, feeling the blood pour from his hand, after punching the door. Dan wondered whether he would find out his punishment tonight, or whether he would have to wait until tomorrow. That is if he actually turned up.

OOCOut of Character:
No Worries, and ooo out-burst. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back