OOC First Name
Liv
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Divorced
Wand
Tulip Wood Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
What is they say about coping? Take one day at a time. Don't bite off more than you can chew. It can only get better from here. The willowy blonde stood on the edge of the cliffs and looked down over the land that for now she called home. A bitter laugh escaped her throat. Her slim fingers shook, balled into fists. Laughter turned to tears until wetness slid down her cheeks and a stubborn drop made its way down her straight, slightly tip tilted nose. The tears were cleansing yet bogged down at her spirit.

Every day she took it one step at a time. The shakes lessened, the night sweats and dry taste of fear tapered and all but disappeared in the morning light. It wasn't enough. She wanted a drink. Feel that harsh, burning liquid freeze her taste buds, sear down her throat and drop like an anvil into her stomach. She wanted the blissful, weightless feeling that came after. Where moments blurred into each other and she could cope with her nightmares and the stress of her job.

She'd nearly drank last night. The temptation was there as was the bottle she'd forgotten she'd stashed. Cold hard glass clenched with a death grip in her hands until it hurt. Bliss. Oblivion. It was there, right inside green glass in a fat bellied bottle. Muscles strained. Glass exploded and shattered. Liquid stained the stone walls a dark slate grey.

She'd left the mess. Walked away from it as though it wasn't there. She would leave it as a reminder until the house elfs cleaned it. A reminder of her weakness. Of the dark, terrible path she walked a tightrope across. Any moment she would fall, as she could so easily fall from these cliffs.

The day droned on, and Kalif spent the majority of his time, reading the history of Hades in the family tree. Seemed like the boy was an odd sort, and this rather displeased Kalif. Who knows what could happen to the Death Eater in training, or what could happen to anyone else who got in the boy's way. Shrugging, he folded up the parchment and put it away in his desk, before locking it.

Kalif stood up, and his long, black robes swept over his tall body, just an inch shorter than his father. Six feet six inches of Death Eater that resided in the school. Though the only people who knew or even suspected were the ones in his family. The ones who had seen how he really acts. Though Kailie has a soft affect on him. Otherwise, when he was here, he was as cold as ice. Kalif was not the type to open up to others, be around others either. He did not welcome the newer professors. Like they would stick around for long anyway.

Professors around here seemed to vanish like mudbloods did back in the glory days. It is almost saddening. Kalif dismissed the thought, his hand reaching for a book on his desk, and set it back into the proper place. The Death Eater glanced toward the door, and waved his hand to unlock it. He still had plenty of time to spare before his next class, and thought that he ought to just take a walk. Exiting the office, he locked it once more, before strolling onto the lawn.

His black eyes scanned the area securely, as he proceeded. It was when he approached the cliffs that took him by surprise. Cecily Rambolt, the Headmistress. Kalif still held her as a suspect with Prodan's sudden drunkenness event. Though he never said anything. Either she was keeping to herself, or he was. Personally, he thought it was the latter. Kalif turned his head to the side, and narrowed his eyes to see some students walking about, though not too many and not too closely. Rolling his eyes, he turned his attention to Cecily, approaching her with utmost caution. He murmured coldly, "I wouldn't stand that close if I were you."

So deep within her thoughts, she only became aware of the man behind her when his cold voice washed over her. Unwisely she began to turn toward him when she lost her footing and felt herself beginning to fall. It was as though time stopped and she could see herself. Idiot girl. Fool. The word echoed off her brain as she was surely going to go over the side of the cliff.

Kalif almost froze when she started to turn, and lose balance. With sharp and quick reflexes, he rushed to the edge, and reached out to grab her arm. Once he had it, time seemed to stop, as a thought occured in his mind. If I let go now, then the school would be unguarded, and that Pollard man could easily be taken out. Then again... Kalif dismissed the thought, as he used his strength to pull the Headmistress back onto safe ground. Kalif took a step back, physical contact lost, and pointed out. "That is what I meant."

His arms folded across his chest, and though his expression was blank, he hated the fact that he saved someone other than where his loyalties lie. Kalif waited for a response, his eyes stared at Cecily, no emotion could be detected. Just like looking into a black oblivion.

Visibly shaken and pale as a sheet, Cecily pushed her hair back from her face and wiped at her wet cheeks. She looked from the edge, where she had been, then to Kalif and shuddered. "I owe you one," she got out past a throat tight with shocked fear. What was her damage? How could she have been so stupid to stand that close? She'd been too upset to care or even think clearly.

She rubbed her arms, she could still feel the steel grip on her arm. "I shouldn't have been that close," she murmured, glancing at the edge again. Smoothing her hands up and down her arms she was silent for a few moments. Although Kalif had just proved he could be relied on in a tight situation and was efficient at his job, there was still something off about him. Something unsettling. He was so cold. So different from his brother. She just couldn't imagine Prodan growing up with this cold, unfeeling man.

Trying to push forward from what had just happened, and ignoring the uneasy feeling that she owed this man a life debt, she regarded him with slightly wide green eyes. She didn't know that with the way the sun was positioned in the sky, Cecily's perchant for dressing as her students did, and her blond hair curled loosely around her face, she looked far younger than her years. "Are you-" she cleared her throat, tried again. "Are you enjoying your classes?" It was an inane question but she desperately wanted normal conversation.

Something that niggled in the back of her mind told her though, that with this man, nothing was ever normal. She brought her shields up and for some reason tensed as though to prepare for flight at any moment.

Kalif sighed when she said that she owed him. He doubted that he would ever need his rear end saved anytime soon. Nothing life threatening at least. Kalif glanced at the ground and breathed, "It's nothing. Just forget it." The Death Eater shifted uncomfortably. His Mark was hidden quite successfully right now, so he wasn't feeling awkward about that. Just his whole situation in front of him. It was unnerving that Kalif has never been put in this position before.

With a slight nod, he said, "Just be careful next time. I don't know how the students would react to losing a Headmistress by falling off a cliff." Kalif kept his arms fold across his chest, and stood, very much like a statue. The sun shone upon his slightly pale skin and blonde hair. No matter how much sun he received, he could never tan.

Kalif gave her an odd stare at the question. He answered shortly, "Yes." Kalif honestly did not know what else to say. He added softly, "Now that the pranks have ceased for the time being." The man hated youngsters acting like that, and it displeased him greatly. He glanced away for a moment and then stared at Cecily once more. He could not bring himself to demand what the connection was between her and Prodan. Whether it was because he trusted Prodan somewhat, or Kalif could really care less about what happens with Prodan and Cecily, together or not.

Cecily shifted weight from foot to foot and looked away from the penetrating stare. Centering herself, she tol herself to get a grip. He was one of her teachers, therefore trustworthy or he wouldn't have received the position. She'd never heard anything negative about the man nor received any complaints from teachers or other members of the faculty. If something about his manner turned her blood to ice, it was just her problem.

"They got out of hand again. Short of putting hair remover in the general student body's shampoo to teach them all a lesson, my hands are tied," she grinned slightly. It was gone quickly. "Although with the stunt pulled at the Yule Ball, I would say they deserved it. You, uh, you didn't attend this year?" She should have known whether he had or not but at that time, with the ipecac syrup running through her system, she'd been too busy getting sicker than a dog. The one responsible had been found and was now serving her sentence through a muggle style program chosen by her parents.

Kalif glanced over Cecily and at the cliffs. He towered over her anyhow, therefore it was easier for him to stare over her and over the cliffs. He brought nothing horrid to the school, thus his disguise was completely armored. He rarely had anyone suspecting. Kalif was excellent at lying and hiding his true identity. Kalif was a well trained actor.

Kalif once more gave her an odd look, and shook his head, "Perhaps only the pranking has ceased in my class. I have not seen anymore." Kalif took note that she never seemed to be able to keep a grin when she was around him. Not that he cared. Kalif answered, "I had no reason to attend. I have to ensure the plans for the Christmas vacation for the children. I was far too busy to attend a dance." Kalif finished with a straight, blank face.

"Right," she said slowly. "I'm sure it's a joy to spend time with your children." Not that she would know anything about that personally, as she didn't have any herself. The closest she would ever come were the ones running through the schools halls. It was cold comfort on many nights when she'd rather be cuddling her own child or reading them stories.

Her arms crossed over her chest. She toed the ground slightly, looked down then back up. Why was it so hard for her to talk to Kalif? Feeling foolish, she battled through it.

Kalif shook his head, "Actually, I only had my youngest daughter with me, Kailie. She usually stays at Prodan's, Chavdar's, or Nataliia's houses' when I'm at school. Kaleb and Jaken were at either my father's house or a friends. It was a peaceful holiday for me." Kalif doubted that Cecily knew the names of his siblings, unless she truly knew Prodan. Otherwise, the others were busy with their own lives. Which meant more peace for him.

Kalif preferred his solitude. Even with a five-year-old girl clinging to him whenever he is home or around her. Then running off randomly. Kailie alone was a job and a half. Almost more tiring than his Death Eater duties. Kalif's cocked slightly to the side, and straightening again when his gaze landed back on Cecily. Kalif said bluntly, "I assume that you know of my siblings. At least one of them. I could not help but notice the...similarities between certain events."

Kalif closed his eyes, and added, "Don't think I will say anything to make you feel terrible. To be honest, I could really careless. But what happened, Prodan did something that hardly any in the family would do. Getting drunk. That is something I do care about. And then the same morning I was contacted with the 'humorous' hangover he was having, you seemed to have one as well. One would be dense to not notice that connection."

Her pulse leaped just at the sound of his name; Prodan. Flustered she turned her gaze away, to look out over the horizon. Her inane platitude of "How lovely," died on her lips before it could fully form as Kalif turned those eyes on her. Buzzing sounded in her eyes and she watched his mouth move, speak words she'd rather he didn't speak. Flight or fight, Cecily? There were many things in her life she believed were dear and she would fight tooth and nail to keep or protect. A bit startling to realize that the growing friendship between her and Prodan had quickly become one of them. Prodan was a special man, the right sort, a bit damaged but very kind and to her already she could see that he could be a friend to rely on, to let her hair down with and forget the troubles of the day.

Fight. Not once had he used her given name. She would treat him in the same manner, she decided. To show weakness to this man or truly to any of the men in their dangerous family -oh yes, she knew they were dangerous, it was in the very air around Prodan's father, his uncle, his brother- was virtual suicide. She'd given enough fodder to feed the fire, he would receive no more to burn her with.

Feet planted solidly hip length apart, hands at her sides, open, not fisted, she faced him. With polite civility she nodded, her eyes not leaving his. Choosing her words carefully she began, "I have met Prodan. In fact, we bought each other a few rounds. Your father and uncle were there," for most of it she silently left out, "it was my night off and we are both consenting adults." She shook her head slightly. "Perhaps it was foolish, on both our parts, but it happened. What I wonder is why it concerns you so much?"

Unwise perhaps but she left the question hang on the air. She'd no idea how he'd respond. Truly she knew Kalif wasn't a bad sort. She hardly understood him or his manner. Partly her fault for not taking the time to ponder it, part his for keeping to himself. "After all, Prodan hardly seemed the type that such an event was a reocurrence. Or would happen again anytime soon."

Kalif did not blink as she explained. The Death Eater stood straight, barely moved. Only the robes around him fluttered gently in the breeze. However, a slight bit of shock flickered in his eyes when she said that his father was there. I assume Arnost had something to do with that. It wasn't often that Asparuh would bother to go to a pub to watch his son engorge himself in several drinks. Kalif hated showing the person he could be, especially when he is around family.

Out of his brothers, Kalif was perhaps the closest to Prodan. It was his only full-blooded brother after all. Though growing up. Kalif paid no mind to him. Now, things were a bit different. His daughter and Kalif's youngest son were close, thus making the two father's have no other choice but to converse. Because of that... It was obvious what had happened. Kalif frowned slightly and he stated, "It concerns me because it isn't like him to do that."

His expression hardened to something more serious than before. What he was about to reveal wouldn't be the best option, but it was necessary. "He only drinks when he is extremely depressed, and I assume that he just realized that night that...well, that tramp ex-wife of his was merely using him. Prodan isn't the type of men who handle such low blows like that very well. That was why I was concerned."

Kalif smirked slightly and shook his head. He continued, his tone not as icy as before, but still cold, "But from my perspective now, you assisted him out of his path of depression. Maybe it wasn't exactly 'foolish' but... I guess it will help him out in the long run, as well as his two children. If he wasn't getting over that woman, then he wouldn't be thinking straight thus will cause further issues with raising his children." With that, Kalif turned his gaze away, and closed his eyes for a moment.

Kalif shrugged, his dark gaze upon the Headmistress again, "Does that answer satisfy you? Or did you expect something very much different? Such as how bizarre it is to have my little brother have a 'few rounds' with the Headmistress of the school where I teach. That reason to be honest rather has me intrigued." Kalif did not smirk, smile, but his face had no expression whatsoever.

It had happened to him too. She didn't dare think, Poor Prodan, because there was nothing to pity about him. He was strong, he would get through it. As she had gotten through her own divorce. How had she used him? And how could she? Prodan, even after the short time she'd known him, seemed the type of man that once you found, you held onto with all your might, because he was one in a million. Witty, kind, gentle.

Cecily realized that Kalif did care for his sibling. As an only child she could only stand there and listen to him, hear what his words were not saying to understand it. This encounter, unexpected, shocked her system a bit that it wasn't until his last words that she saw the humour of the situation.

"Such as how bizarre it is to have my little brother have a 'few rounds' with the Headmistress of the school where I teach. That reason to be honest rather has me intrigued."

"Quite a kick in the head, isn't it?" Inappropriate. Yet she oddly didn't care at that moment. "I hadn't planned on meeting with anyone. A night off, rare in my profession," she grinned her first genuine smile around him, "and I didn't want to spend it here. A good book, horrible food and watered down liquor sounded like heaven. I hardly expected to have Prodan spill his drink on me, nor to spend the next few hours talking." The amusement faded for a moment.

"Look, Kalif, I've been through a divorce, I know how sticky they can be. Your brother's a good guy and an even better friend. In time, he'll be okay."

Kalif rolled his eyes and shook his head. "I suppose. It shocked me quite a bit when it finally processed," truth escaped his mouth. It was rare for a Death Eater like himself to tell the truth to someone while under a disguise, unless he was teaching the material. Kalif smirked, "At least you did not meet up with any one potentially dangerous." Kalif shrugged, though on inside, he could careless.

The speech she gave out made him picture Prodan tripping and spilling the drink. Kalif almost laughed, put covered it with a cough and a hand over his mouth. Resting his hand upon his arm once more, he nodded, "I wouldn't have expected it either, and I speak for Prodan there." Kalif sighed and shrugged, "He'll get through it. And also, I too am divorced. Though he took it a lot worse than I, and it happened around the same time." Kalif then stared at the ground. He never realized how odd that was until now.

Anyone dangerous? She would bet her life that it wouldn't be wise to be alone in a dark street with either of the tall, blonde men she'd met. Was that? Her green eyes crinkled at the corners as he gave what she highly suspected as a laugh. He could laugh. Who knew? she thought with a grin.

"It did?" she murmured. How rough for the families all around. The children lost their mothers, the husbands their wives; total upheaval. She didn't say, 'I'm sorry', because she was sure he wouldn't appreciate it. "Last I saw of him, he looked well."

Kalif shrugged, and muttered, "It would actually not surprise me if they decided upon this together. They did spend a lot of time together..." Kalif faded off and rolled his eyes once more. Kalif smirked slightly, "I guess that I could be hearing of how he is by you now. That's actually pretty bad that you would see him more than I do." Not that Kalif minded. He had other things to do.

"I wouldn't go that far, Kalif." Cecily shook her head with a grin. "Does that bother you? That I count your brother as my friend?" Green eyes clear and straightforward, she met his eyes candidly.

"I wasn't being serious." Kalif pointed out and shrugged. "If it wasn't for Aleyha and Kaleb, I doubt I would see him more than one or twice a year." Kalif tapped his gloved fingers against his arm. He did this every so often. Kalif shook his head, "I could really careless. I'm not my brother's keeper." He smirked faintly, before his face fell back into it's normal state.

"You may not be his keeper, but I can see he matters to you." She ran a hand through her hair then shook it out to let the breeze catch it. "I should head back."

Kalif fell silent. He glanced away for a moment, and he glanced back toward the greenhouses. Kalif nodded, "I probably ought to go grade some of those essays before I fall behind." Kalif turned and headed back to the greenhouses. That meeting turned out differently than he had planned to. Kalif thought, The next time someone almost falls off a cliff, perhaps I ought to do nothing. It seemed more like him to ignore an event like that rather than to go out of his way to rescue someone.

Cecily watched him go, feeling more than unsettled by the turn of events. She went back toward the castle to search out her quarters and pour out any liquor she'd ever hidden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back