On The Run.

Robert Lock

OOC First Name
Laura :D
Rob was in the Dark Part of Bleak Street. He knew this place wasn't the nicest of places, so Rob figured that he would fit in well. But Rob hoped that he would sink into the background and go un-noticed. He couldn't give away too much about himself to anyone right now. Ever since Rob had escaped from prison, he had needed to keep his head down. He wasn't after friends, all he needed was to find his brother.

James was the reason that Rob had been put behind bars in the first place, but despite having escaped from jail, Rob felt that he was a changed man now, and he wanted to apologise to his brother, for what he had done to him all those years ago. Rob sat on a nearby bench, then put his head in his hands. He needed time to think.

Irene moved around the corner swiftly from Obsidian Harbor and found herself in an alleyway leading towards Bleak Street. She knew it was strange but she actually liked walking in the area, especially now that the Dark Presence was no longer around. She found it relaxing, aside from the catcalls and the people lying in the street. It was a good place to think. Irene still wasn't sure about Hensel anymore because of the mention of doing away with the muggle and muggleborns. She still wasn't convinced that doing away wasn't a nice word for murder. Suprisingly, her brother wasn't fully convinced by Hensel either. He was favoring another candidate- Felix Donovan.

As she walked Irene heard a loud rip and cursed aloud as she realized that it was her bag that had just split. Papers and makeup and other things that could be found in a witches bag were now scattered all around the way. She quickly bent down and picked up what she could, gathering it into her arms as she went. Looking up as some of her papers blew slightly in the wind, Irene asked "Mind helping me?" to a guy who was seated on a bench. She added a smile to her request because she knew Bleak Street people weren't exactly known for helping each other, but she hoped her looks would prove to be the deciding factor here.

Rob looked up as he heard a female voice. It took a while before what she had said sunk in, but as Rob took a look at the papers flying around him, he gathered that she wanted some help. Taking a moment to empty his mind of thoughts of his brother, Rob crouched down to help the girl. "Urm, of course yeah..." He said, grabbing some of the papers that blew away in the wind. "Here." He said, handing the pile of paper back to the girl.

Rob wasn't the most chatty of people, and most often he would find himself feeling awkward because he didn't know what to say. He certainly couldn't talk about his past, because that would put him back in prison. Even telling someone his name was a risk, but a first name basis wasn't to bad, as long as they didn't connect him to his brother, he was quite safe. "Okay, so you must have some guts to ask for help in Bleak Street...especially in the darkest part of it..." Rob said with a smile, trying to create conversation, in desperate hope that it wouldn't end up with them talking about him. "So does the brave woman infront of me have a name?" He asked, not realising that the question could easily be returned.

Irene stared at the guy for a moment, glad when he finally jumped to action. Pulling out her wand, she managed to stop several other papers that were going away from the pair. Summoning them to her, she turned to the guy just as he handed her some of her papers. "Thanks" she breathed, grabbing the pile and moving over to the bench. She placed the papers down and then sat so that she was half on and half off of the them.

She smiled wryly as the guy told her that she had some guts. That was sort of true, but her actual reason for her bravery was the fact that her brother and sister-in-law lived not too far from here and if something went wrong, she could easily apparate to their block and get away. She pulled off her bag, ignoring his question for the moment as she busied herself looking at the huge tear in her bag. She had no idea how it had happened. Looking up at him finally, her blue eyes fell on the face of the guy who'd helped her. "Yes, she does. And she also knows that giving her name to someone on Bleak Street isn't the smartest thing to do." Her eyebrow raised. "Care to share yours first?" she asked, pointing her wand at her bag and muttering the Repairing Charm. It sealed her bag right up.

Rob considered using his middle name as she asked him what his name was. But after a moment of thought, Rob figured that there was no harm in sharing his shortened name. After all, this girl seemed genuine enough to Rob. "I'm Rob." He told her plainly. But that would be as far as Rob would go as long as they were talking about him. He couldn't risk his future of freedom.

"Okay, so now I've told you, fancy telling me your name?" He asked, as he watched her bag be sealed up by a simple repairing charm. "I mean, I've already helped you, I'm not some sort of mug, or evil creature...I can promise you that..." Rob forgot to mention the fact that we was an escaped convict, but as long as she remained polite as she was at the moment, there would be no problems. Prison had changed Rob, he was a friendlier man now, the only thing that he still had to work on was controlling his temper.

Irene smirked as the guy introduced himself and then turned the question back on her. It was quick, much quicker than she expected him to. He didn't look like an especially trusting guy and they were in the darkness of the alleyway so it would have been easy for him to not tell her or lie. Somehow she didn't think he was lying and it caused her to give him another look. It wasn't as if he told her much, just his name, but then he continued speaking. As he promised that he wasn't a mugger or anything, she busied herself putting the things that had fallen out of her bag back in. "Well since you promised you weren't a creep, I guess I can tell you" she began and then added, "I'm Irene."

Irene finished putting her things in her bag and even though she knew she should probably get up and walk off, something kept her in her seat. It wasn't everyday that she met someone friendly in this part of town and even though she'd come to Bleak Street to think, she really was more eager for someone to speak with. " Do you normally hang out in dark alleyways waiting to help people?" She turned her head so he wouldn't see the smile on her face as she spoke and then turned serious blue eyes back onto him to await his answer.

Rob wondered if this girl was after anything. After all, only the bravest or the stupidest hung around in Bleak Street. Rob, being both of the 2 descriptions was here, in hope that he would sink into the background and go un-noticed. But Rob's kind heart had already gotten the better of him and here he was helping out a girl that he had only just met. Rob considered finishing the conversation and heading back to Cloe's, but something was keeping his attention drawn to Irene. And it certainly wasn't any crush. Rob just felt that maybe it was worth talking to this girl.

"Irene, I'll remember that..." Rob said a little awkwardly, it was nice to meet her and everything, but it just wasn't a 'Rob Thing' to say. Rob expected the girl to be on her way, when she asked him a question. He took a moment to think before answering her. "I wasn't waiting to help you, but how could I say no when you had just dropped everything right infront of me..." Rob said, pausing for a second before continuing. "But I don't why I'm here...it's just a place to think...after all, this place isn't exactly going to be crowded with people........is it?" Rob questioned. "Anyway were you just passing through or were you after a nice guy in Bleak Street?" He asked, trying to hold out his 'nice guy image' for a little longer. Little did she know.

Irene doubted the guy would remember her name even when he told her he would. It wasn't anything specifically against him, but she figured she was just a blip on his radar. That's probably what it was going to be like for her to. Not that he wasn't nice to look at. As he thought about his answer, Irene played with the strap of her bag until he began speaking. Then, she looked up at him and listened. She knew that this place was a great place to think. That's what she was here to do too.

"A nice guy? Here?" she scoffed. "I think you're the only one" she almost considered adding her brother, and then decided against it. He wasn't actually a nice guy. Down the way, she could see two men huddled together, talking about doing something that was no doubt decidely not nice It was the way she was planning on going to because it led to her brother's place and since she was in the area, she thought she might stop in on them. "I guess I'm doing the same thing you are. Thinking...or trying to anyway" she shrugged her shoulders. There was lots on her mind and she doubted that any of it would be resolved soon.

Rob laughed as the girl told him that he was the only nice guy here. But the laughter wasn't because what she had said was funny, it was because Irene knew so little about Rob and what he was capable of being like and doing. He wondered what Irene actually thought of him deep down inside. He hoped what she had said was the truth. If he could get away with being a 'nice guy' in Bleak Street, he could pass for being one pretty much anywhere.

Rob smiled. "Why thanks, but I'm sure I'll be making a few friends in this place..." Rob said, realising that he had just implied that he hung around with the Bleak Street crowd. "So maybe this place will be changing a little in the next few weeks..." Rob added, trying to clear his name with a complete and utter lie. Rob flicked his collar up as he listened to Irene speak a little more. "Right, so you're a thinker to, well rest assured, your thinking can't be as complicated as mine." Rob said, thinking about his past with his brother, and how that had changed his future.

The laugh that Rob let out made Irene re-think what she'd told him about being a nice guy. His laugh was one she was familiar with because it was the same one that she gave to guys who called her nice. It meant that they had no idea what they were talking about and if they only knew a little more, they wouldn't be saying such a thing. Her eyebrow rose sharply, but she didn't comment. As he spoke and mentioned that he'd be making friends in Bleak Street, she turned her head slightly, not sure what he was saying. If he was a nice guy, then he meant that he'd be trying to make Bleak Street nicer, which would never happen. If he wasn't a nice guy then she was quite sure he'd fit right in with most of the people around. "I could introduce you to a few people" she said with a shrug. She spent time on occassion at the pub that was up the way and her brother and sister-in-law lived in the area, so it wasn't as if she didn't know anybody in the area. "Though if you're trying to change Bleak Street...I wouldn't waste my time. Bleak Street will change you far more than you'll ever change it." That she knew was a fact.

She crossed one leg over the other as he mentioned his troubles. Pursing her lips for a moment because she didn't like the assumption he'd made that his problems were bigger than hers, Irene flattened her expression. "Maybe not though without details I can't be sure. But, my life's no picnic...believe me." It wasn't. What with the constant fight she had between her blood prejudice upbringing and her own changing views on the muggle way of life, Irene was in constant turmoil, and she was feeling it even more because of the election that was occurring in New Zealand. It was causing her to really question her value system.

Rob immediatley noticed that something had clicked in the girls head. He knew that eyebrow raise all to well, and Rob figured that the two of them were beginning to find out exactly what each other were like. Irene's next comment about changing Bleak Street confirmed Rob's suspicions. "Bleak Street won't be changing me anytime soon..." He said blankly. Overall, Rob was the genuinely nice guy that you would meet in the streets in the morning and be downing whiskey's with by the end of the evening. But inside, Rob was a nasty and violent guy, who not even the hardest men would want to have a shot at.

And that's what troubled Rob, not much was going to change him now. He was stuck in his ways, and Rob was struggling to remain the warm-hearted guy that he had been converting himself to for the past 3 Years. "I never said your life was a picnic...but I'd rather a life threatening thunder-storm than having to face up to certain things in my life at the moment..." Rob said, telling Irene straight. Rob wasn't one to mess with, and however difficult Irene's life actually was, you would never change Robs view. To Rob, his life was the worst, and anyone who challenged that too much would suffer grave consequences. It seemed silly, and a little childish in thought, but Rob couldn't imagine his life getting much worse than it had done recently. Yes he had Cloe to lighten his mood, but until James accepted his apology, nothing was going to change.

Irene chuckled slightly when he mentioned that Bleak Street wouldn't be changing him. Many people said that, but she knew that only time would tell. If he was nice, then he soon wouldn't be. There was no doubt about that. Nice people didn't last long on Bleak Street. If he wasn't, then he probably was right.

The smile froze on her face when he spoke again. She was wondering whether or not she should push the point, but decided against it for the moment. She picked at a loose thread on her bag. "Wow..." she mumbled and then looked up at him, her blue eyes looking straight into his. "You really think things are that bad? I bet it's not that terrible..." she trailed off. People always exaggerated their circumstances, but usually it never was as bad as they thought it was.

OOCOut of Character:
Sorry...it's lame

OOCOut of Character:
No Worries. :p

Rob looked at the girl as she spoke. She really was pushing him to the limit. But Rob really didn't want to get angry, he HAD to keep his head down, or he would end up back in prison. Rob looked straight back into the eyes of Irene as she questioned how bad his life really was. He looked away when she finished before sharply turning his head back at her. "Then that's one bet that you're going to loose..." He said quietly, but being deadly serious. Rob may have exaggerated, but his life was certainly no walk in the park at the moment. Of course, it was all Rob's fault that his life was a mess, and he truly regretted what he had done. But things would never be the same, and Rob couldn't accept that.

"You try living life alone, no-one to turn to but yourself, and maybe your partner if she's in a good-mood...I can't trust anyone Irene, not even myself." He finished, putting his hands to his head, then tilting his head backwards, before groaning. Rob calmed himself down as he looked back at Irene. "As I said, I don't trust anyone, so I'd quite like it if we moved away from the subject of my life..." He said, with a fake, but pleading smile.

Irene listened, eyes wide as he spoke about not trusting anyone and telling her yet not telling her some of what he was dealing with. When he told her to change the subject, she let out a breath she didn't know she'd been holding and pulled her bag closer to her. Nodding her head once, she remained silent. As Rob had spoken he'd made her feel that her first impression of him as a nice guy had definitely been made prematurely. She'd been slightly afraid of him for a second because when you didn't know a person, it was hard to judge how they would react.

"I had no idea..." she trailed off and looked back down the street to where the two men were still conversing. Right now, she wasn't sure where she'd be safer. If Rob couldn't even trust himself, she certainly wasn't going to. She was about to say more about him, but then stopped herself. If he didn't want to talk about himself, who was she to force him? "Fine...what do you think those two are talking about?" She was going to be heading that way in a moment and hoped that they would be gone by the time she did.

Rob let out a breath of relief as Irene finally changed the subject. He really needed to calm down, or he would end up doing something that he regretted. Rob took a good look at the guys who were at the other end of the street. He squinted, trying to see what they were up to. 'Typical Bleak-Street Business...' Rob thought to himself. But as un-pleasant and possibly scary as Rob had been in the past few minutes, he wasn't about to scare Irene out of her wits because of what he thought might have been going on. Besides, she seemed to know enough about what went on in the street to know that she should avoid all people, especially ones with a friend or friends.

Thinking about his answer, Rob took a quick glance at Irene, before looking back at the men. "Oh I don't know, but I suggest you keep your head down and walk past them with no eye-contact whatsoever..." Rob had learnt how dangerous eye-contact was in his time in Prison. Especially with strangers who had something strange in their ways. "Got that? You seem to know how edgy this place is...as far as I'm aware if you don't give them a reason to bother you...then they won't bother you..." Rob trailed off, taking a deep breath in, then slowly letting it out again as he waited to hear Irene's reply.

Irene was surprised when Rob didn't answer her question. She figured he probably didn't want to scare her or something. It wouldn't have mattered though because she had seen enough things happen on BLeak street to not think that the two men were doing something shady. She listened to his advice and nodded her head. "Sounds like you know from experience." She realized that she couldn't delay any longer. "I probably should get going" she said in a low voice. She was pretty sure Rob wanted to be alone and even though she had come to Bleak street to think, Irene now wanted to leave the place and head to her nice, safe home. She stood up and then looked down at Rob. "I hope things get better for you..." she said quietly.

Rob nodded once as Irene mentioned about him having experience of this sort of situation. "Yeah...but you don't know that..." He revealed to Irene, but also making sure that she wasn't going to tell anyone about their conversation. "Infact, as far as anyone else is concerned, we never met here today...Alright?" Rob said, covering his tracks.

Rob was a little pleased when Irene hinted that she needed to go. Rob looked up as Irene stood. "Yeah, I do to, now on your way...I'd hate for you not to get home safely...so go before anyone else appears..." Rob suggested, as he moved his arm in the direction that Irene had previously been walking in. "Right, you know the deal..." Rob trailed off, he never said goodbye, it just wasn't him. He then walked to the other end of the street, and round the corner a little, before apperating home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back