On the Quest

Andrew Bruke

It was past midnight whenAndrew Bruke stood by the window of his hotel room looking out to the view of the ocean. The waves crashing at the shore and the moonlight reflecting on the water was a view he could look at all night however at the moment he had other matters to attend to. He sipped the last of his coffee and then placing his mug on the table he put on his travelling cloak. Glancing at his pocket watch he smirked to himself and then disapparated on the spot. Seconds later he appeared on the outskirts of the Dar-es-salaam city in an area called Mbagala. There was no living thing in sight except for a rat that was scurrying away from the heap of junk where it had been feeding because of Andrew's appearance.

Although he was a stranger and had never been to this area before he knew where he was to go. Walking on the sandy path for a minute that took him through a field he came to a big oak tree. He could sense magic around and as he put his fist on the tree, there appeared a big hole in the trunk, the size in which a man could stand. Andrew was not surprised because he had been told before hand about the entrance to the place. As soon as he stepped inside he could feel himself descending in under the ground until a minute later when he came to an halt. The trunk like form in which he stood opened to reveal a narrow passage way and he walked through it without curiosity. Reaching to a metal door which was rusted yet appeared to be pretty strong he knocked twice.

He knew what to expect inside. An old African wizard, short and skinny who practiced Dark Arts and magic in this city lived here where no one could find him except those whom he wanted to see. Andrew was here on a mission. He had to get the crushed powder of the bones and flesh of albino that this wizard had killed. They were main ingredients of a potion that was to be brewed in Japan from where he had got his orders. Andrew had been warned that the wizard was not easily convinced to trade items and that he was very powerful but Andrew's skill of persuasion was bound to make him get what he wanted and complete the mission.

Sandokan had left the place he and his niece were staying hours ago. He wanted to make sure she wasn't going to follow him so he stopped at local pubs and stayed in the background. After checking his surroundings he headed off to the place where he was to meet with a wizard about a deal on the skin and bones of an albino which he needed for a few clients of his. It was important that he got the ingrediants for his best customers.

Coming up to a tree he put his fist to it and a door basically opened for him giving him enough room to get inside to the muggle-like elevator that was built inside. He had been to this wizard numerous times before on buisness and knew it was a tough bargain to get anything from him. Going ahead he noticed a young man standing outside of the door. Slowly breathing Sandokan ducked into an alcove wondering why another person was there for his meeting time. He glanced at the watch on his wrist and noted he had three minutes till his time offically began with the wizard inside.

Andrew waited outside thinking that it was probably going to take the wizard inside a while to walk to the door and open it, unless he used magic of course and Andrew wondered which one would it be. Would his magic tell him that it was Andrew outside or would he come personally to see. He heard footsteps behind him and at once drawing his wand he pointed it at the source of the sound. Another man who looked like in his late thirties was standing a little distance behind him. He raised his eyebrows because this man was no black and he wondered what he was doing here. Maybe he is delivering something, he thought but he did not let his guard down. "Who are you?"he asked the man, his voice firm and audible wanting an explanation as to who this man in front of him was. He had been warned that the old wizard inside was very infamous and many searched for him and hoped that the man standing in front of him was not an enemy.

Just then the door opened with a creak an a short, bald black wizard poked his head out. His eyes were as black and his face was old and wrinkled, his skin hanging lose on his arms and neck and his robes overlarge, dirty and black. "Lower your wand" he spoke to Andrew. As the old wizard who introduced himself as Sangatiti looked from one face to another. As it showed on Sangatiti's face he was clearly not very pleased to see to white men on his door step and yet he said in his thick voice which was deeply accented of African English "Come in". It appeared that although Sangatiti was a racist to certain extent, he would deal with anyone as long as he got the right price.

After a moment's hesitation Andrew put his wand back into the pocket of his robes and giving one hard glance at the man he turned his back and walked in through the door which was opened for him. Smell of tobacco, blood mixed with decaying matter filled the air inside the small room which was filled with items Andrew had never seen or heard of. If he began thinking about what each was he would probably lose track of time therefore he took seat on an old couch which was placed in one corner. He had to be careful not to bang his head anywhere especially not into what seemed to be living skulls that talked shouting something in the native language. Andrew knew the importance of the potion that was to be made which could make bones, nails and teeth dissolve and lead to excessive hair fall of the victim and he did not want to fail in his mission, only that kept him standing up and walking out of this dirty place. He once again looked at the other man with narrowed eyes wondering what his purpose here was.

Sandokan watched as the young man noticed him and held out his wand at the ready. He wasn't about to answer the question without assurence that he would get answers in return. Instead he took his wand and held it, prepared to fight. He wasn't going to leave without those ingredients. Suddenly the old man appeared at the door and beckoned them in. Of course he waited till the young man put away his wand and went inside. The face he had reminded him of his niece but it may just be the age. That threw him off, what was such a young man doing there dealing with Sangatiti.

Walking into the room it was as he remembered, maybe a few more things hanging from the ceiling. Sandokan walked around everything and went to stand infront of the acient man, he gave a customary bow kneeling down on his knee in respect. It was a lesson he hoped he had taught his niece as his mother had taught him. "Sangatit, I'm here for the items I wrote to you about," he said opening the conversation though he wasn't sure if the old man would enjoy having him start it.

Andrew was getting really curious about what the other man's purpose was and he watched quietly as he bowed to Sangatiti and then spoke in English. His curiosity was however not reflected on his face because he had long ago learned how to mask his face and control his emotions. The man's words however kept his mind racing wondering as to why Sangatiti had asked the two of them to come at the same time because as he had been previously told that when the deal would be done it would be seen by no one, then what was the man doing here asking for some 'items'. Andrew chose not to speak because he knew that the old wizard was aware of what Andrew required and he was not going to test his patience.

Sangatiti gave a nod as the older of the two man bowed. He guessed that the younger did not know the customs of this place as it was his first time here however he knew that he would learn soon enough what was to be done when something was required from Sangatiti. Asking the other man who was still on his feet to sit, he poured them some local beer and gave them two old rusty glasses and drank some from his own. He was not pleased to be told their purpose for he knew it better than them. "I'm well aware why you're here" he spoke once again in his heavy voice. "You both are here for the same purpose, however only one's requirement can be fulfilled" he told them his face still remaining calm even though he was well aware that theirs would soon not be pleasant. "Andrew, is it?"he asked the younger man even though he knew it was Andrew. "I'm afraid you and Sanokan must decide amongst yourselves who better deserves the bones of the albino"he spoke and waited to see the outcome of his words.

Andrew accepted the glass and tried not to figure out how old or dirty it must have been. He sipped the beer and it was not at all pleasant. It was sour and bitter so he just held his glass in his hands and did not take another sip. He watched the face of Sangatiti as he spoke to the other man. He was glad he had not spoken. However at the next words of the wizard he could no longer hide the confusion on his face. They were both here for the bones? And only one was going to get them? It surely had to be he who took them to Japan or else he would fail he thought in his mind. Turning to the man who he know knew was Sandokan he spoke "I must get the bones, its crucial and I've traveled from far away." Then looking back at Sangatiti's face he asked "But can't another albino be killed?"

Sandokan listened the old man, he felt stuned. Usually the only problem getting things from him were how much they cost, the higher he went the more Sandokan's customers would have to pay him and they never enjoyed paying alot. He listened to the younger man, Andrew, talk to Sangatiti. "It's crucial that I get the bones as well. I have customers who will do anything to get them, even find and tear apart the man who took them instead of me," he said eyeing down the young man. Sandokan already knew one of the customers who asked for a few bones was a death eater and Sandokan never tried to get involved with those types but this man was going to pay him twice what others did.

Sandokan's head shook in laughter when the boy asked if another could be killed, that would never happen. He didn't let his laughter out of course, you never could know what Sangatiti would find disrespectfull, it changed everytime. He held his hands infront of him his arms down the side of his body. "Sir, these ingredients are ones that I abosolutly need," he told the old man glancing at the younger one.

Andrew was in dilemma because he had not been expecting such a situation to occur. He was sure that even the other man, Sandokan needed the bones very much and if it came to dueling he wondered who would win and if he would win, would Sangatiti then give him the bones? "Well my needs for the ingredients are similarly important, if they know that they were given to you, they'll hunt you down and kill you. It won't matter if you have the bones or not at that time" he told Sandokan and then looked up at Sangatiti to hear what the old wizard had to say. He couldn't understand why another Albino could not be killed, after all how hard was it to use the killing curse?

The old wizard heard as both men stated that their need for the ingredients were more important than the others. "People come here for what they absolutely need, Sandokan" said Sangatiti to the older man of the two. "And I think threats wont work, Andrew" he told the younger man. Sipping his own beer he looked at the two faces deciding which one he could do the deal with and get a better price. Sandokan was his usual customer and paid him highly however the powers that worked behind Andrew were higher as well. "All Albinos, muggles and wizards have protection on them because their deaths are a major issue in this country. Killing them would be harder than killing any minister of magic" he told Andrew. "What prices are you willing to pay me and to what extent can you both go to get the bones from the other?"he asked them. "Sandokan, would you kill Andrew to have the bones?"he asked the older man.

Sandokan shook his head lightly as the young man began to speak, he didn't know how important it was for Sandokan to get his customers the bones. If he lost these customers they could easily tell others about his failure and he could loose all hope at having a good buisness after this. The old man was wise, Sand could tell he was thinking things over very hard and wished he would just get the deal over with. "Of course however much you wish for my customers will pay even more as pre usual. You know how I get my profit," he told the old man his face towards him but his eyes glancing at the younger man in the room. Would he kill him? Sandokan didn't think he would. The boy seemed about the same age as his niece, in some other time and place the two could have met and dated, no Sandokan didn't want to end the boys life so soon. "Sangatti, You know my thoughts on killing the young," he said his tone low and hushed as he leaned in slightly to the old man to keep it between them.

Andrew frowned because the conversation was going no where. He did hope that he would get the bones but something was telling him that Sangatiti too was not sure whom to make the deal with. Andrew had not expected complications. According to his plan he would have had the bones by now and would be delivering them half way across the globe by now. He heard Sangatiti explain them how hard it was to kill Albinos. Hmph, he thought in his head. If it would be down to payment he was willing to pay any price but he knew that it would not be only about money. He was almost going to speak as he heard the question about his death being discussed when someone else entered the room.

The wizard that entered the room was a skinny tall black man dressed in black robes and as he walked in he shook his head and said "Sikuweza, wamekuja na wamechukua Juma. Wanakuja hapo". Andrew sat there looking at Sangatiti's expression that was changing from calm to irritation. He muttered back a few things to the man in Kiswahili. Then the old wizard turned to face them once again, his facial expression graver than before and said "I'm afraid none of you will be getting anything. My men have been caught and they will be here in minutes. I must ask you to leave."After saying this he stood up and withdrawing his wand a dozen things packed themselves up in a few seconds in a big bag. "If any of you manage to kill albino all you'll have to do is extract the bones dry them and crush them into powder" he told them as he grabbed his bag and apparated on the spot with the other man who did not seem to understand English.

Andrew turned to look at Sandokan to see what he planned to do now. One thing was clear they wouldn't be hanging out here for long but if Sandokan had some plan of finding albinos, Andrew wanted to join in because the shame of returning empty handed was too much especially when it was your first mission. "What now?" he asked Sandokan, almost in a too childish manner. It was as if they were on a mission together or something.

[Translation: I couldn't do it. They came and took away Juma. They are coming here.]

Sandokan watched as a man walked in and confered with the old man. He was disapointed that they wouldn't be able to get the bones here. Sighing he ran his hand through his hair looking over at the boy. "I think I know where we can find some Albinos, but we must move quickly. It'll hell if we are caught here," he said already moving back towards the exit. Instead of going the way he came in, he moved down a few other passages to a different exit that he had taken from time to time. This wasn't the first time Sangatti's men have been caught and all were forced to leave or go to jail, while Sandokan has been there. Finding his way back to the surface was a relief and he made quick of getting to a nearby hiding spot, making sure the young man was with him the entire time. He couldn't let the young boy suffer, Sandokan would need the help in killing the albino.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back