Off Trail

Austin Zhefarovich

Wand
Knotted 14 1/2" Rigid Cherry Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Austin looked around, wondering where he was. He held his muggle book tightly in his hands. His eyes narrowed, scanning the area. His eyes were used to the dark now. He shook his head, "I must have been nuts, coming here." He bit his lip. He noticed that he wasn't afraid. He was more anxious than anything. He fiddled with his blue shirt. He had worn a jacket as well, which was a good idea. His jeans matched the jacket perfectly. He stopped walking, hearing something suspicious.

"Nuts would be an understatement," a soft voice called out. A young boy then stepped out of the shadows, his dark eyes glaring at Austin. He was obviously amused. "What is your name?"

Austin turned around, seeing the kid that just spoke to him. Austin wondered whether to actually tell this boy his name, or not. Austin then spoke, with his french accent lurking in his icy voice, "My name is Austin Devearux." Austin half smiled, but his eyes looked suspicious. "And who are you?"

"I'm Azerail Varius," he said, pausing as if expecting Austin to recognize the name. When he gave no recognition, he continued, "Are you lost? You look...different from those who normally inhabit this alley." His voice carried a mocking tone.

Austin narrowed his eyes at Azerail. His bright green eyes darkened a little as he stood on the defensive. "I'm not lost. Lost would be not knowing where you could return from where you once began. I remember how to get out of here." He shrugged. "And you would know the difference?"

Azerail laughed. "Yes, I would." He then took a step closer, to further examine Austin's face. "But don't worry. I'm not one of those you need to worry about." Azerail then flashed a smile, a sly grin that failed to make him look even remotely inviting.

Austin didn't smile as he said, "And how can I trust you? However, I suppose it could go both ways." Austin still remained on the defensive. "Are you going to Hogwarts this year?" He decided to have a small conversation.

"Yes," Azerail said, still smiling. "I am. How about you, Austin?"

Austin nodded, "Yes. I hope to be in Ravenclaw." He didn't doubt that this kid wanted to be in Slytherin, however, it's not like he hasn't been wrong before.

"Ravenclaw," Azerail mutterred beneath his breath. "Ravenclaw would not be too bad," he agreed. "It doesn't really matter to me. It isn't the house that defines a person. It's what he does."

Austin shrugged, "Well, I suppose. My actions are just...reading, learning, and spending time with friends. Or my girlfriend."

"You seem to fit the Ravenclaw stereotype then," Azerail laughed, "aside from having a girlfriend anyways. I didn't know nerds got many girlfriends." Azerail was clearly attempting to make a joke, though even he realized how rude he must sound.

Austin finally cracked a smile, "Like some say. And I have only one girlfriend, and she is my first one anyway." He knew that this boy sounded a bit rude, however, Austin also knew that he himself sounded cold as well.

"I've never even had one," Azerail said. "I probably scare them all away." Azerail was no longer joking. He really believed that the way he looked probably had everyone a little creeped out.

Austin shrugged, "I'm not a girl, so I wouldn't know. I say just be nice to them. That's what I did. Looks hardly matter..." He examined Azerail, and he did look a little suspicious. However, Austin knew better, for the most part.

Azerail laughed, and for the first time since they met, it wasn't creepy or malicious. "I'm not looking for pity or advice."

"Well, you are mistaken if you think I pity you." Austin smirked a bit. "I rarely pity anyone." His voice remained icy, yet, those who had known him for a while could tell that he tried to warm it a bit.

Azerail smirked. "That icy voice sounds fit for a Slytherin."

Austin shrugged, "Apparently, I got it from dad's side of the family. And I believe I am too smart to be a Slytherin."

Azerail frowned. "Slytherin's not as bad as some think. It shows determination, even if it is often accompanied by a sense of arrogance, which you also seem to have."

Austin shrugged, "I favor toward the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff houses. My least favorite is Gryffindor. And it isn't a crime to be a little boastful. I only know about the muggle world anyway."

"Only the muggle world?" Azerail asked, his eyes gleaming with curiosity. "You're not a half-blood, or a mudblood are you?"

Austin nodded, "Yes, like science, math, stuff like that." Austin shook his head, "No. I have magical parents, and magical grandparents. Would it matter?"

"No," Austin sighed, though he was unable to hide a look of relief on his face. "It doesn't really, I guess."

Austin seemed fascinated by the look of relief. "Do you not like muggles or muggleborn children?" He didn't really know what the word 'mudblood' meant, however, he didn't ask either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back