Closed Ocean’s 2

Andi raised an eyebrow at the man's comment. Liar. She thought. She was either leaving with money, or answers, and although she preferred the latter, the money would be amazing as well. Andi felt braver with Doroteya there as well. There's no way this guy could talk himself out of a talking tree this time. "Oh, that's you asking kindly? Geez." Andi knew she was pushing it, but what was life, if not to push buttons? "Where's your brother? The other actor? He'll help us, I know it."

If Lucan hadn't been so goddamned kind to the kid, she might not have come back in the first place. Keevan had no intention of letting them speak to his brother, and now his patience was wearing thin. "None of your business," he said, ignoring whatever rubbish she was spouting about Lucan being an actor. "Did you not hear what I said? Get out of here, the pair of you, before I call the police. I won't tell you again. Go!"

Doroteya trembled. She had never heard anybody talk to an adult like that before. It was rude, and reckless, and... stupid. She removed her hand from Andi's, as if to sever all association with her idiocy, and immediately felt a throb of guilt. Real friends didn't desert each other in times of danger - but then again, neither did they drag each other into it. Whether Doroteya stayed and endured the wrath of the man in the doorway, or left and hurt Andi, she simply couldn't win. And it wasn't fair.

Her insides shrank. Not the police. "We are going," she said. Then she turned and began to walk toward the gates, praying that Andi followed for no other reason than her safety.

Andi felt Teya's hand go, and she looked at her friend, feeling guilty for the look on her face. She let out a small exasperated breath of air. They'd come all this way, and she didn't find out anything. Sure, it was obvious now that it wasn't a TV show, so the tree wasn't yet explained. Andi was frustrated that she even came to the door, she should have just stayed put and waited until she saw the tree. Or at least investigated outside instead of demanding answers from the mean, scary and yelly man. With one last glare at the man, Andi turned and stormed off, following Teya, storming to where the bikes were, before she sat down and let out a loud groan.

Doroteya said nothing all the way back to the road. She picked up her bike, ready to leave, but Andi had sat down on the ground, apparently going nowhere. “Why you sit? Take me to home,” Doroteya said. There were probably enough signs to find her own way back into the city, but she still had to give Andi her bike back when they arrived. “Get up.”

Andi looked up at Teya when she spoke, letting out a soft sigh before she stood up. She didn't move to her bike yet though. "Look, Teya - I'm sorry." It wasn't something she said often, but she really did mean it. "Today was supposed to be an exciting adventure, and we were going to find - magic. We should have just kept...looking for the tree instead of going to the door. It wasn't like this last time - he wasn't this mean." Well, maybe he was, but at least he got her a cab and told her she'd beat him in a fight. But still, Andi was sad. She knew she was going to struggle to shake this feeling, and the confusion. She hoped Doroteya would still be her friend after this.

Doroteya frowned. Teya? Was Andi making fun of her? She fixed her gaze on the ground, considering all that had been said. After some time she looked up again. "You should think, before say. If I am for trouble, what will happen to me? I don't know. No good. I am scary - scared - because of stupid things you say to man - about floating tree, which is not real! You will get you and me for trouble. Do not do this again, or I am not your friend. OK? OK?" she said. "And - my name is Doroteya."

Andi almost felt tears in her eyes as she waited for Teya to reply. She had been so excited for the day and now it was the worst day ever. Now she didn't even think the tree was real - even though she had believed her before. Thinking before speaking was not a strength of Andi's. "Teya was a nickname but. Okay. I'll... try to not get you into trouble." Andi managed to say, not wanting to look at her.

Doroteya fingered the handlebars of her bike. She had been angry, but she hadn't meant to upset Andi - only make her point understood. "OK. Do not be sad," she said, but it came out more frustrated than sympathetic. She lowered the bike and dropped it before giving Andi a hug. "I like you," she said. As much as she didn't want to in that moment, she did. She pulled away and hauled the bike up again. "Let's go to somewhere?"

Andi looked at Teya, taken aback by the hug. But within seconds, she had her arms wrapped around her friend as well. "I like you too!" Andi said, instantly feeling better. Andi followed suit in picking up her bike, nodding her head. "Do you want to choose the place this time?" Andi asked with a small grin.

Lucan often disagreed with his brother on matters, but never before had a conflict of opinion made him feel so bitter and sad. After the front door closed, he slipped out through a concealed exit in the side of the house - a passage that had been built especially for him, though for a very different purpose. Keevan had always been so considerate of his needs - why couldn't he afford the same kindness to anybody else? He was clearly capable of it. He just chose to be angry and mean. Well, perhaps that wasn't fair; he had been through some terrible tragedies. But that didn't preclude him from showing a little sympathy once in a while.

Lucan caught up with the girls at the gate. "'Ello," he said, raising a hand. "You two fancy going into town for some lunch?"

Doroteya managed a brief smile. She still wasn't sure she was making the right decision. Andi was a total liability. But she was also Doroteya's only friend...

Her head jerked up at the sound of a new voice. The man stood at the gates had a very different demeanour to the one who had opened the door, yet there was a vague resemblance in his face. He spoke with a strong accent that made Doroteya doubt she had heard him correctly. She looked at Andi, relying on her response.

Andi's face lit up when she saw the nice man. "See! I told you the nice actor would help us." Andi said to Teya. She turned back to the man. "Hell yes we would!" She would never say no to a free lunch - at least, she hoped it was free, because there was no way either of them would be able to afford three meals. "And do you... know anything about the floating tree?" Andi asked excitedly, unable to help herself.

Lucan knew Keevan would be furious if he found out he had gone behind his back. But wasn't it Keevan who had also told him to follow his heart? Sometimes, you just had to do what your heart felt was right - even if your stomach was telling you it was all wrong. "Me? An actor? I wish," Lucan said with a chuckle. "Right - you know Hayden's, the café? I'll meet you there in half an hour, awright? I'll catch up with yous in a bit. And I'm not telling you anything until I've got a cuppa in front of me, so off you go."

Doroteya eyed the strange man suspiciously. She didn't trust him. But if he was buying them lunch - which was the sum of what she had managed to understand - she would tolerate her discomfort. What was the worst that could happen in a public café? So when he left, she shrugged at Andi. "OK. Go."
END​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back