Closed Not Flying High Enough

Logan Ashworth

Confident | Sporty | Selfish | Competitive

OOC First Name
Daphne
It was a sunny day and Logan's parents had been happy for him to go out and play. The Tākarokaro Park wasn't too far from their house, and he knew his parents would come and pick him up when they wanted him back home. Logan had brought his toy broom with him, after he had once again begged them for a real one. They had told him (again) that he would get a real broom once he left for Hogwarts, which seemed so unfair since that was still a year off. The toy broom he had was barely big enough for him anymore, it struggled to carry him and it didn't go higher than about a two feet of the ground. He tried his best with it, flying in low circles, but he soon got bored. He tried to force the broom to go up, pulling it up against the magical height restriction. After a few tries, he actually managed it. The broom shot up another foot and Logan cheered. Then, it seemed to remember it wasn't supposed to go up that high and snapped him back down roughly, the sudden movement unexpected. Logan yelped as he toppled off the broom, landing in the grass on his back with a thud. "Ugh." He grunted, kicking weakly at the broom that had landed next to him.

Brynn didn't have a lot of friends. Which was to say, she didn't have any at all. But she didn't mind, it gave her more time to practice her knitting. She liked knitting and taking walks. It was a nice sunny day, so she'd gathered up her knitting basket and the little project she was working on, before asking her mom to drop her off at a park. She smiled, pleased when she got her way. She was just walking into the park when she saw a boy fall off a broom. She gasped and hurried over. "Oh, goodness, are you alright?" She fretted.

Logan didn't want to get up immediately. He stared up at the sky and let out a soft sigh, living for a moment in the delusion that no one had seen him. Of course, that wasn't true. He groaned as he heard a voice. He looked up to see a pretty blond girl looking down at him. He slowly sat up. "Yeah, I'm fine. No big deal." He said, flashing her a grin. "I meant to do that." He joked.

Brynn wasn't sure she believed him, but she gave him a smile in return and sank down to sit on her knees next to him. "Oh, well, if you're sure," She offered shyly, tucking her hair back behind her ear. "Do you like flying?" She asked, though she thought the answer was obvious. She just wasn't sure what else to ask.

Logan rubbed the back of his head and sat up completely. "Yep, definitely." He said, wondering if she actually believed him. He was about to get up when the girl sat down next to him, and then it suddenly seemed rude. He simply reached over to grab the stupid toy broom. "Yeah, I love flying." He said, waving the broom around a bit. "I just wish I had a real one, you know?"

Brynn smiled shyly, shifting to tuck her legs under her and putting a hand beside her for balance. "I bet flying is nice, my parents won't let me," She told him, sighing softly. "They said it'd be better for the Professor at school to teach me." She watched him wave the broom around. "There's a shop in town, do you want to go look at brooms?" She asked.

Logan wrinkled his nose. "Really? Why not?" He asked, though she soon explained. He shrugged. "You can use this one if you want, it doesn't go up very high." He said, gesturing to the broom. "It's kind of for babies, but maybe that'd be good for you to learn on." He told her, not thinking about how it might sound. He hesitated at her suggestion. "My parents told me to stay in the park..." He said, though he was tempted.

Brynn understood his hesitation, even as she hesitated to get on the broom he had for the same reasons. "Well... would you help me with it if we did?" She asked, deciding that her flying a baby broom with this boy would be better than leaving the park against his parents wishes. She took a breath and offered out her hand to him. "I'm Brynn, by the way," She introduced herself.

Logan nodded slightly. "Even if your parents said you couldn't?" He asked, a little impressed she'd do it anyway. "I can help. It really doesn't go high or very fast." He told her. "I'm Logan. Maybe we can look at the brooms after?" He had already convinced himself that if this girl could go against her parents' wishes, he could too. And maybe if they were fast he wouldn't be caught.

Brynn hummed softly, looking down and twisting a bit of hair around her finger. "Well... it's not really flying, you said that, right?" She asked, peeking back up at him with a shy smile. "So it's not really against their wishes. It's not actually a real broom." She justified, taking a breath and pushing herself up. "Let's just see how this goes. Hopefully I don't fall over," She teased, giving him an easy smile.

Logan nodded enthusiastically, eager to agree with Brynn. "Sure, yeah. Barely flying at all." He said quickly. He got to his feet, grabbing the broom. "If you do fall, just say you did it on purpose, works every time." He said, flashing her a charming smile.

Brynn giggled a little, leaving her knitting basket on the ground. She pulled her hair back, twisting it up into a bun. "It should be absolutely fine," She took a deep breath. "Alright, what are we doing?" She asked, chewing on her lip a little nervously and wringing her hands.

Logan grabbed the broom and held it low in the air, it hovered in place. "It doesn't even properly have to be called like a real broom." He said. "So you just hop on. I'll show you." He threw his leg over the broom and hovered in place for a moment, the tips of his feet almost touching the ground. "See? Not hard at all." He got off the broom again and then gestured to it. "Your turn."

Brynn took a deep breath and nodded, shifting to mount the broom as he gestured for her to. She wobbled a little, trembling, but she managed to stay upright, keeping herself in the air. She giggled, her face flushed, and looked to Logan with bright eyes. "Oh my gosh, this is so crazy," She managed, her arms shaking as she gripped too tight on the handle.

Logan grinned brightly and held out his hands. "You're doing it, see? Told you it was easy." He said, deciding not to tell her she could probably still touch the ground if she reached her legs down a bit. "Now try flying around." He told her, not really considering that he hadn't taught her that. She'd be fine, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back