OOC First Name
Jess S
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Unyielding Spruce Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Jia was not very impressed with the new school. She was used to moving from place to place, but her father was promising her that she wouldn't have to leave Ilvermony until after graduation. She wasn't sure yet if she believed him. But that hardly mattered, really, she had grades to keep up. She had a plan, and there were expectations of her that she needed to uphold. She found the student lounge easily enough and sat down with her books. She sipped on her apple juice as she read through her textbooks. None of it was ever very challenging, but that was alright.

Yoo had settled into Ilvermorny life pretty well. It had been a little hard to adjust and he knew he still sometimes struggled with the drawl of it but it was fine. He liked lots of different elements to it and the quidditch team and people around it were nice. His grades remained good and he was mostly content. So as he looked up from his work, he spotted a girl, a new girl who he knew and it wasn’t from his time here. It had been a long while since he had seen her. A very long while, but he could still tell who she was. She was in his year currently, of course and she was new, of course. He looked back at his work and then over to her and then decided to just go over to her. He closed over his books and carried his things over until he was at the chair in front of her. ”Recognise me?” he asked with a little smile, placing his books down on the table.

Jia was almost annoyed when a voice interrupted her concentration, sighing heavily. "Should I?" She replied smarmily in Korean, taking a moment to finish the paragraph she was reading. She looked up, half glaring and intending to shoo off her unwelcome visitor, when she saw who it was. She stopped, mouth falling open slightly. "Yoo Hyun Ki," She breathed, before laughing in delight. "Goodness, I haven't seen you in years. Is this where you've been hiding?" She asked, reaching in her bag and producing another apple juice. She offered it out to him, since of course he would sit with her. They'd probably chat a moment before studying, but still.

Yoo waiting a few moments until she actually looked at him and he gave a little smile. He hadn’t seen Jia in years, it had been a very long time, but she hadn’t changed much yet, though he hadn’t either too. He gave a little smile and shook his head. ”No, I moved to Japan first, then here,” Yoo said, he replied in English, apart from the older student Hyun, he almost exclusively stuck to english wanting to improve and make it a little more fluid. He sat down in front of her and took the apple juice she handed to him. ”Why happened to you, you’ve just joined this school?” he asked curious as to where she’d been over the last few years.

Jia followed his lead, switching to English as he did. She felt her accent was a little stronger than his, and made a note to work on hers. "Just this year, yes. Father had hired a private tutor at first, but decided it was too costly," she explained. "Are you staying here?" She asked, curious if he would leave again. "It is nice seeing a familiar face." She gave him a smile.

Yoo nodded slightly, "Better to go to school than tutor," he couldn't imagine anything worse than having to spend time alone with a tutor. He couldn't imagine spending time with his sister and a tutor. He nodded, "I transferred her at the beginning of this year, my family moved to Washington," he explained. "It's nice to see you too," he said, "How longs it been?" he asked not sure he remember exactly when he'd last seen her, though it had been a while.

Jia smiled softly. "That would be what I told my father, yes." She agreed. Tutoring had been dull. She preferred the school environment. She thought over his question. "Five years?" She offered after a moment. "You have certainly gotten taller." She gave him a smile. "Tell me though, is the course work very difficult? I could do with a challenge," she sighed.

Yoo gave a little nod, not too surprised that she had told her father as much. He nodded, "Five years, I moved to Japan," he remembered with a little smile before nodding, "You've grown taller too," he replied giving with a little smile. "Not too challenging, certainly if you keep up with the work, do the homework and so on," Yoo told her, if he remembered correctly she had quite the studious person and he wasn't sure if she was still like that, they had been very young last they'd met.

Jia nodded. Japan sounded so much better than here. But she hid that. She didn't like it here, but she would do her best. She smiled as he said she'd grown as well. "I grew two inches just this summer," she told him, tucking her hair behind her ear. She scowled as he said it was easy. She sighed deeply. "Of course it is. And of course I will." She considered a moment. "I suppose I will just have to add studies of my owns. Useful things. There wouldn't be any options for students to take the muggle courses here, would there?" She asked, looking up to him hopefully.

Yoo couldn't have been able to tell that Jia had grown a couple of inches in the summer, but certainly since he'd last seen her she'd grown. He nodded as she said she would be keeping up with the homework and work and it seemed that she would be adding to it. "Not formally, but there are books on muggle subjects if you're looking to keep up with things. My father is insisting that over the breaks I work on muggle schooling, so that I can get at least a high school diploma for appearances," he replied with a little shrug, to both explain why he knew they existed and why he might occasionally be the one to have the limited books. "I have settled on becoming a healer though, so I won't need the muggle subjects," It was almost boastful the way he said it.

Jia nodded, absolutely understanding what he was saying. "I will need to do the same, in a way," she told him, smiling brightly. "I am going to be a lawyer, however, and I will verse myself in both magical law and non magical," She told him, nodding with a look of determination in her eyes. "May I ask why you decided to be a healer?" She queried, putting her chin in her hand and looking to him.

Yoo nodded as she said she would do the same, that she was going to aim to be a lawyer for both magical and muggles, which seem to him like overdoing it but perhaps there was enough bridge and desire for them both for it to be true. "Well, before magic I wanted to be a doctor, but now with magic, healer," Yoo told her with a little shrug as if that were the most logical thing. Though of course he hadn't decided that he wanted to be a doctor until a few years after he'd last seen her.

Jia nodded easily. "That makes sense," she agreed, tucking her hair behind her ear. She looked down to his books before looking back up at him and smiling. "Well, I do believe we're all caught up. Would you care to start a study group?" She asked. "Somehow I feel it would work well for the two of us to study together," she smiled brightly.

Yoo gave a little smile and looked down at the table between them. She was exactly how he remembered her being from all of those years ago. "Well, it's either we work together or we're in competition," he said in a friendly way, but he was thinking it would be good to just do a little better than she did, so he would have to work a little harder, but he didn't mind that at all. He wasn't usually that competitive but he felt it would be quite easy to be a little better than her.

Jia raised a brow. "Competition, hm? What if I would beat you?" She asked, giving him a coy grin. Yoo had seemed smarter than her, but she could probably best him if she worked hard enough. "We could make it a challenge," she offered, folding her hands beneath her chin. "School is hardly challenging. We could challenge each other." She smiled wider, pleased with the idea.

Yoo wasn't sure what the prize would be, he had thought that just being able to say they had would be enough but perhaps not. Yoo shrugged, "What would you want to win?" he decided to ask her. He shrugged, "Well, all we have is school?" he said in response. Peraps she had a different idea, "Unless you mean specific challenges, like perfect O's or 100s on homework," he asking clearly looking for clarification.

Jia considered his question, drumming her fingers on the table. "Well, maybe... we can decide the prize later?" she asked. "We can set the competition to last over each school year. Whoever wins at the end of each year can decide what prize they want," She nodded, thinking it would work. She smiled a bit at his idea. "Actually, perfect grades sounds too easy for both of us," she pouted. "I say... perfect grades, and we do well on our self assigned extracurricular classes. Maybe... whoever has the highest score?" She countered. "The best grades is irrelevant. But perhaps we can see who gets the most overall?"

Yoo considered it and nodded, they could decide a prize later, and they could set the competition to last over each school year. Then she added that it would be need to be both perfect grades in their usual classes and in their picked classes. "We'd need to account for us not taking the same lessons, being a healer takes a specific set of classes," he didn't intend to do more than necessary classes wise, at least never taking more classes than was necessary, "And it would need to wait until the start of the new year, all my muggle classes will be over the summer break," he added, he didn't want to distract from the more important work during the year with muggle things. "What do you say?" he hoped she'd be amenable to his suggestion.

Jia listened to what he had to say, nodding along. "Alright, sounds like we have a plan," She smiled, reaching for her books again. "We're in the same year, aren't we?" She asked, looking to him. "Perhaps we can pair together during class?" She offered. "We might learn more working together than we will on our own," she mused.

Yoo nodded in agreement. "We are," he wasn't sure if them working together would really help them, if they were in competition. He could agree they might learn more together but that didn't mean that they should if they were trying to one up each other constantly. He nodded lightly. "Okay, we should," he told her. "Which house are you?" he then asked. They were clearly also going to gedt to know each other, the houses seemed like a good thing to know too.

Jia nodded, moving to make a note of it in her planner. "Thunderbird," She told him, scribbling down a few notes before giving her a small smile. "What about you?" She asked. She hoped he was at least somewhere nearby. It would be easier working him into her daily planner if she didn't have to take too much time to find him.

Yoo nodded, "Also Thunderbird," he thought this would be good to keep an eye on his competition and hopefully help him hone his studying more. "No time like the present to get started," he then said, turning open his books and getting back to his studying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back