New In Slytherin

Isabelle Beaumont

OOC First Name
Charlotte
Wand
Cherry/Maple Wand 13 1/4 Essence of a Dragons Heartstring
Isabelle slide quietly off the stool, and watched as the Slytherin Table erupted into cheers. Several of the Slytherins turned and whispered to each other. She began to feel slightly dizzy, but forced herself to continue. Isabelle strode over to the Slytherins, attempting to act confident. She quickly found a spot away from the others, and sat down on the edge of the Table, ignoring the stares of the Hall, until all but a few eyes left her and concentrated once more on the Sorting Hat. Isabelle could feel the remaining eyes boring into the back of her skull, but she kept her head raised and stared at the Hogwarts Crest, just above the Sorting Hat.

From what she had heard on the train, the majority of Slytherins seemed to hate Muggleborns. That's just perfect - absolutely wonderful. I wonder how many bullies I'll have from the end of this week, thought Isabelle ironically. She wasn't too surprised she was in Slytherin, really. I mean, she was ambitious, but from what she had heard, Slytherin house tended to never really accept Muggleborns. I hope I manage to find some friends, Isabelle thought wistfully. She looked behind her, to all the other Slytherins, and to her gratefulness none of them were looking. Oh, what am going to do - not all Slytherins can be mean. Isabelle sighed, and dropped her head forward onto her hands, staring down at the wooden table in despair.

Saffron was called and sorted though expression on her face was not a happy one. It wasn't an upset one either. In fact Saffron had no expression at all though many whispered about her sorting as well. She had made no friends before attending this school, she had no family at Hogwarts and her name was not known among the pureblood circles here. Then again she doubted the Ironsong name had been heard around for quite some time. Her black and silver cloak made no noise as she took her seat next to a girl who had her head down on the table. She fiddled with a forest green strand of hair as she looked forward at the Head's table to see who else she would have to interact/put up with during her stay at in Slytherin. She was just glad that the staring had stopped. She hadn't even won anything which would have been a good thing in her book. No she had just been sorted into a house that had a snake as a reprisentitive. She had read Hogwarts A History before even getting here and knew it was the mark of Salazar Slytherin. The irony had been that she had chosen to magic her hair the same shade of green two weeks before even setting foot in the school.

She leaned over slightly and whispered to the girl next to her "If I where you I wouldn't make myself look like such a big target." before looking back at the head of the Great Hall to hear the reamining names being called. Saffron had been bullied before and knew that holding one's head high and making look like it didn't affect one was the best way to make anyone who wished to bully think twice. Then again Saffron had a highly competitive streak to her and would do anything to be able to match the strength that was presented to her and then surpass it. An older student gave Saffron a look which she returned out of the corner of her eye. The older student smiled and Saffron nodded to let them know that she had seen. The young green haired girl folded her hands over her lap and waited for what came next.

The next few sortings happened. A Gryffindor, a Hufflepuff, ... and then: SLYTHERIN! Isabelle kept staring at the table. Knowing of Slytherins, she assumed it was a half-blood, or pureblood. Probably one that will cursee me till I'm black and blue, too, Isabelle miserably thought. No, stuff that, I'm in a castle full of witches and wizards; surely I can make a friend. I"ll start first thing tomorrow, go out into the Common Room, and just talk to someone.

Isabelle heard the girl sit down next to her. She paid them no attention - she was probably coming to insult her. Isabelle had never really been good at socializing, preferring to read or talk to people one-on-one, and where did that get her - bullied, alone, and without friends. Oh, and scarcely any social skills. And it's not like most of the Slytherins were going to want to be friends, she was a Muggleborn, for god's sake.

"If I where you I wouldn't make myself look like such a big target." Whispered the person (a girl, by the sound of her voice), next to her. Isabelle looked up, startled. The girl was shocking - good shocking. Isabelle liked her hair immediately. Forest green, cropped, and it high-lighted her cheekbones. The girl was staring towards the Sorting Hat, and appeared to be lost in thought. From what Isabelle could see, she looked fun. Isabelle straightened up, and raised her chin. Time to stop feeling sorry for yourself, and put some use to those Drama classes you took last year, she told herself sternly. She pushed her shoulders back, lifted her chin, and took the advice of the interesting green haired girl.

She saw an older student give the girl and look, and smiled quietly as the girl gave the look straight back. Then the girl folded her hand over her lap, and gazed back to the Sorting Hat. "You're right." Isabelle whispered, feeling ashamed. "I was being a utter idiot, if I'm being completely honest. Feeling sorry for myself, and all that." As the next students Sorting was called out (with a large RAVENCLAW) she turned to the girl and smirked. After all, what's the worst that could happen? Plus, if the interesting girl liked her, perhaps she could teach Isabelle how to dye her hair like that. "I'm Isabelle. And you are?"

Saffron heard the last of the names called and turned to the table. She put her hands on the table and examined the plates. If there was one thing that she could say about this school was that it had class. The plates where gold kinda like the ones that where for sale in her aunt Goldsong's shop. Saffron payed attention with half an ear at the announcements. "Don't go into the dark forest.... blah, blah, blah" She took that chance to continue talking to her fellow first year. "Saffron, like the spice." She said as she looked around and saw that food had appeared suddenly. She realized that she was in fact hungry so she started to load her plate with a bit of everything that she could reach making a small mound. Saffron never ate much but at the moment it felt like someone had scooped out a part of insides she was so hungry. Her strange yellow eyes slid from person to person while she picking at her food. She was sure that half of them she wouldn't get along with and the other half wouldn't be able to stand her because they where overly sensitive fools who couldn't understand when someone was asking a simple question.

She took a bite of the food on her plate then turned back to the girl she was talking to. "You seemed out of place so that's why I said something." She commented idly. She noted that more chatter had sprung up around them and Saffron shifted in her seat uncomfortably. Saffron had never been much for social situation on more than one occasion having said or done something that had gotten her punished. It was not that the punishments of her parents where sever it was just that the lessons never stuck. She had just never seen the fault in asking why there was a huge black dot on someone's face or telling someone that they looked as if they had stepped out a wood chipper. To her it was helping them so they could fix what was wrong. She had decided a long time ago that she would get along with those that understood her and the rest could just leave her alone. They normally did anyway after getting to know her better. The talk turned to blood states and Saffron rolled her eyes. "As if it where not common knowledge that there's only so much predictability in blood." She murmured into her food.

Deciding that she had just about enough of the idle chatter around her, Saffron looked down at her food with her head tilted slightly to the side to show the girl, Isabelle that she was listening. She was the only thing holding any kind attention to the young Slytherin at the moment. She considered the possiblities that she would be seeing a lot more of this girl for a moment and though that it was best to get to know her now so she could decide whether or not she was going to have to put a silencing charm on her divider in her room so she didn't have to hear any of them once she found how to of course. She may have to do that anyway, she didn't see how five girls where going to share a room successfully. Even at home Saffron had her own room and there had been seven children to place. With the though of her brothers Saffron started to fiddle with one of her bangs.

"Saffron, like the spice." Saffron answered Isabelle's question, then began tucking in. Isabelle turned, and all the Tables in the Great Hall had appeared with giant, enormous amounts of food. Isabelle's eyes widened. Chicken drumsticks, garlic bread, fries, salad, everything was there. Isabelle's stomach let out a small rumble. Isabelle grinned, and starting tucking in. Isabelle ate. A lot. Luckily, she had a high metabolism, or else she would be as big as a rhino. She got her appetite from her Aunt, who loved food so much she was a chef.

"You seemed out of place so that's why I said something."
Saffron commented idly. Isabelle swallowed the bite of chicken she had just taken, and took another. She swept her gaze quickly over the others at her table. Some seemed like they could be nice to know, though one sent her a look. Isabelle sent one straight back, then smirked. She turned back to Saffron. To her surprise, Saffron was looking slightly uncomfortable, her yellow eyes flickering everywhere. Isabelle set to studying Saffron. She looks rather kind, Isabelle thought to herself. Blunt, from the way she acted before, but kind none the less.

"As if it where not common knowledge that there's only so much predictability in blood." Saffron murmured quietly to herself. Isabelle looked at Saffron, pausing from her meal. Was Saffron getting bored, or was there a ghost there that Isabelle hadn't seen yet. She looked around, but couldn't spot one. Saffron started fiddling with her bangs.

"So..." Inwardly Isabelle cringed. She sounded so young, and awkward. She had never really, had a friend before. She had a few, of course, from when she was younger, but they never went to her school. Isabelle was always sitting in her room, reading about things. She had recently finished reading the Hunger Games. But Isabelle knew her parents had been worried about her, as they were always arguing late into the night about what they were going to do with her. The only way Isabelle knew how to deal with this was to pore herself into her studies, and get perfect grades. Her brother had heaps of friends. He was the perfect son - smart, athletic and popular. While Isabelle, with glasses and books, was the girl that sat at the back of the classroom and cried herself to sleep at night.

"... You like Hogwarts so far? I'm a Muggleborn, so this is all really new to me. I was surprised when I got the letter and the representative came to explain it all to my parents. My brother threw a sobbing fit when Mum told him he couldn't come here, he's used to getting his way. They were just glad that I might actually fit in instead of being left out all the time." She shrugged, and grinned at Saffron before eating a poato stuffed with god-knows-what - but it was delicious. Isabelle had been bullied the majority of her school life, always coming home with a new bruise or being called a new insult. Her only real friends were books, and it's not like they can come to a birthday party. Isabelle swallowed, then smiled at Saffron. Maybe she could be her friend.

Saffron instantly knew from that "So..." that conversation was not an art that Isabelle had mastered either. She finished with the potatoes that she had on her plate. She was reminded a bit of how the conversation would go at her home dinner table. Her eldest brother would be chatting about something or another that he done at school while two of them would be talking about something that only the two of them would understand or so they though. Saffron had a talent for getting into places that she really wanted to get into, especially if she wanted to get information. Their books had been interesting to say the least. Her triplet brothers would be trying hard not to make mother or father angry but like clockwork one of them would throw something and the chaos was on. Saffron would be in her seat making no noise and picking at her food and wishing for the hundredth time that her mother would let her bring a book to the table but her mother wouldn't hear of it trying to bring Saffron out of her shell. She had someone to talk to here which was alright even if the girl seemed to be about as shaky as leaf.

Saffron listened to her talk about her own brother and a small smirk came to her face. The young girl had actually beat her own brothers in coming here after they had been told that the siblings had to be scattered across the globe. One part of Isabelle's little speech had stuck out to her through. "I'm a Muggleborn" Saffron's hand tightened around her fork and worked her jaw. Was this girl really that stupid or was she just pretending to be to make herself stand out more. "Why don't you say your blood status a little bit louder? I'm sure there are a few on the other side of the table that didn't hear you." She said her voice carrying a slight hiss to it to show her irritation. Not that she really cared about the girl at this point but she had read the history of this house and knew that there would be people that would target her for something as simple as having no magic blood. Saffron would be targeted as well for just talking to her and that would lead to trouble for everyone involved. She noticed that her knuckles where turning white and loosened her grip.

She took a moment to look around and was glad to see that everyone was engrossed in their own conversation to notice two lowly first years. "I grew up in a completely magical environment. I had never even seen a muggle until my family came to New Zealand. I saw one going to a box with wheels. I was going to go over to ask some questions about it when my mother pulled me away." She said remembering the insadent. Saffron had wanted to ask what pulled it, how often did they need to replace the candles that lit up the glass casings in front. It really had been a curious contraption that had caught her attention. She had also wanted to ask why the person had not used a portkey when it had been explained to Saffron that the person had been a muggle and she was not to talk to them ever.

Saffron polished off the last of her food and pushed plate away from her. She wondered when dinner was over, she was starting to get tired enough to rub the sand out of her right eye. She noted that the girl had glasses and had an air of being well read. "Did you get a chance to look over the school books before you got here?" She asked as a way of getting her mind off of home. The more she thought about it the more she found herself missing it as well as her old life. She pulled at the cuff of her cloak, her thumb running over the silver threading.

"Why don't you say your blood status a little bit louder? I'm sure there are a few on the other side of the table that didn't hear you." Saffron hissed slightly, looking rather irritated. Isabelle turned her head to look at Saffron, surprised. I suppose more people than I though care about blood, Isabelle thought. Guess lets steer clear of that subject - for as long as possible. Maybe Saffron came from a prejudied family - maybe she would get bullied more than her if they knew her blood, and that Saffron was talking to her. Isabelle quickly glanced around her as she reached for the gravy boat. Luckily, it seemed that two first years were beneath any ones attention. Everyone was chatting, basically ignoring everyone else outside their own little circle.

"I had never even seen a muggle until my family came to New Zealand. I saw one going to a box with wheels. I was going to go over to ask some questions about it when my mother pulled me away." Isabelle nodded slightly. She continued to eat, listening in slightly to the conversation behind her as Saffron paused. "...wonder if any of the new blood will be any good?" New blood? That doesn't sound fun.

"Did you get a chance to read over the school books before you got here?" asked Saffron, sliding her plate away from her. "Yes! I really enjoyed Hogwarts;A History. I also skim-read several pages of some of the set books, when I was bored and had nothing to do. I know - I'm a nerd." . Isabelle paused, and swirled her fork around absentmindedly in her rice (heavily coated in soy sauce, of course). Did she really want to tell Saffron that? Oh well, too late now. Isabelle could almost feel that with every word she said Saffron began to hate her more and more.

She had skim read all the books, and thought she was going to really struggle in Potions. Sadly, Isabelle was pretty squeamish, and hated anything like worms or bugs - or disgusting animal parts. Her 10 year old brother tended to like bugs, and once stuffed a worm down the back of her shirt. However, Isabelle did get even - involving food, the toilet, and lots of laxatives.

"I mean, some of the books sounded pretty boring. I don't think I'm going to do well in Potions, or Herbology. Some of the ingredients that they have for Potions sound kinda gruesome, plus I'm not very good at being exact - and from what I've read, it seems like you need to be pretty exact. At least I'm not Hannah - she's so clumsy she'd probably blow up the cauldron! Did you get to read any of them?" Isabelle pushed her plate away and sighed. She was almost full. Maybe some more of that chicken later, Isabelle though to herself. She started fiddling with her hair ties, twisting them round her wrist, scraping against her skin.

Saffron nodded in agreement. "Hogwarts A History is a good source of information if you want the basics on the castle. Mechanics not culture I'm guessing we'll have to expirence that for ourselves." Saffron said. The snippet of conversation that had floated over didn't bother her. Saffron was going to prove she was good, in fact she was going to show that she was the best here. "I've got three of the set books memorized and am working on getting the rest memorized too. Then I wish to get some background information from Library. You think you're a nerd." She said the last word with a some stress because it was a word that bothered her a little. Her brothers had thrown it in her face for years because of her love from the written word. All but one whom she often needed a dictionary to understand but considering what his specialty was at Ravenwood she wasn't surprised. Saffron put her hand on her cheek and her elbow on the table turning her yellow gaze to Isabelle. Her expression was hard to read but she was still listening which meant that the girl had not bored her yet. They had just met so calling her a friend would be a bit of a stretch but she could tell that she was going to get along a little better with her than she did with most.

She listened as Isabelle judged some of the school books which she could understand why someone would think as much. She had nearly forced herself to read a book she got on flying which she wasn't done with it because she could only take in bits at a time. Saffron did not usually slack on a subject that was going to help her shine in class. "I've gotten some practice in both. Not enough to give me an advantage when we finally get to class but enough for me to know what i"m doing. She commented lightly. Her mother had a medicine garden after all and her father kept some rather questionable plants that would get him in trouble if she mentioned them. As for potions. She had watched her brothers enough to know what a cauldron was for though they never allowed her to touch anything even if there was the chance of her burning herself. "I'm not looking forward to flying lessons. There's nothing I can do to give me an edge and first years are not allowed on their own broom until Quidditch starts." She said putting her hands in front of her. She hated not being able to make sure she's prepared.

When she looked up she saw that the food had been replaced with desserts of every kind. A half smile appeared on her face. She took three blocks of ice cream and started to create something she liked to call her Super Sunday. She had never been a much of a fan of sweets but ice cream was her weakness. She pulled three turrets to her full of nuts, fudge sauce and chocolate sprinkles. "The house elves really put out. This must be a big deal day for them." She said. Saffron carefully started to build her desert a moment of pure joy in her eyes. This was one of the few times that she showed her age. Her parents where kind but strict and everything at home was about skill building in whatever that skill that would be.

She caught a flash of color and looked back at Isabelle. "Redoing your hair?" She asked watching her fiddling with her hair. Saffron done it herself not too long ago but then her's never needed to be tied. She wondered why Isabelle hadn't waited to reach the common room before undoing it. After a moment she decided that she was all that intresed so she went back to her ice cream with the same amount of joy as before.

"Hogwarts A History is a good source of information if you want the basics on the castle. Mechanics not culture I'm guessing we'll have to expirence that for ourselves." Saffron said, nodding. "I've got three of the set books memorized and am working on getting the rest memorized too. Then I wish to get some background information from Library. You think you're a nerd." Wow, Isabelle thought, she's enthusiastic. Isabelle herself didn't read much factual work - she preferred fiction over fact, any day. But she adored the History, Natural Geographic and CI Channels on her tv. Saffron put her hand on her cheek and turned her face towards Isabelle - her face was an impassive mask.

After a minute more of talking, the food changed, from chicken to ice cream, potatoes to cake, salad to lollies. Isabelle's face lit up. The best part of dinner - the dessert. Contrary to its thoughts before, Isabelle's stomach decided that yes, it could eat more. A grin appeared on Isabelle face as she reached for a bowl, and started eating. She filled her bowl with chocolate and cookies and cream ice cream, then added a slice of chocolate cake and several Jaffa's for good measure. Oh, and a hot chocolate, of course! She really did adore her sweets.

Isabelle thought about what Saffron had said. Flying lessons. They sounded sort of, fun! Assuming it was safe, of course. Before, Isabelle had been rather wary of taking flying lessons - after all, who knows how they would manage it, how safe it would be. But now, with all the excitement and magic floating around (literally, you only had to look up to see dozens of floating candles) Isabelle thought she might like to give it a try.

"The house elves really put out. This must be a really big deal day for them." Saffron said off-handedly. Isabelle almost choked on her hot chocolate. "House elves?" Saffron was heavily concentrating on building a tower of ice cream. Isabelle smiled slightly. She could already tell Saffron had grown up out of being a kid too fast. Isabelle had too, slightly. Not much though, not nearly as much as Saffron appeared to have.

Isabelle reached up and started to undo her ponytail. "Redoing your hair?" Saffron asked. "Yea, it's starting hurt a bit." Isabelle explained. She expertly undid it, unraveled the hair tie, and ran her fingers through the ponytail without letting it lose its shape, before retying it a finger higher. Saffron had gone back to her ice cream. "How did you get your's that colour - obviously not Muggle dye." Isabelle raised her eyes as she asked, stressing the word Muggle. One of her classmates had recently tried dying their hair bright purple - it came out a dirty grey-brown. Muggle hair dye could be truly quite horrible.

Isabelle's eyes widened, as she lifted her head up from her plate, her spoon filled with ice cream left dangling and slipping back into her bowl. "What happens when the desserts vanish? Do we go to the Slytherin Common Room or something?" Isabelle asked Saffron, scooping several handfuls of sweets out of a bowl and stuffing her pockets with them. She would be getting money for several weeks, nor any form of gift. Her parents had left the country for a vacation, and couldn't send or receive anything for about 4 weeks. And no way could Isabelle last that long with out a daily sugar rush. Isabelle quickly finished her bowl and pushed it away. No way could she eat any more. She felt filled to the brim, absolutely stuffed. She looked around at all the Slytherin classmates around her, and and smiled, then sighed. These people were her new family, like it or lump it, and she'd better get used to it. It's not like she's going anywhere, after all. And, judging by Saffron, most of them could be agreeable, to say the least.

Saffron savored every bite of the ice cream she put in her mouth slowly and methodically. A treat like this was rare for her so she thought she had better enjoy it while it lasted. She was sure that this was not an everyday meal. "If I find a way into the kitchens I will show you them. They are small creatures with big pointy ears and sometimes pointy noses. Sometimes they are squashed like tomatos but essentially they're all the same. They like to serve." She said as if it where the most natural thing in the world because to her it was. Her original home had a house elf in it called Milky for some odd reason. The creature was treated fairly enough, her mother had even tried to get it to accept pay but he refused. She continued to too scoop more ice cream into her than it seemed possible for her to fit because of how much she had eaten before. Saffron gave herself another moment to enjoy her sweet before answering the next question.

"It's a spell. My mother taught it to me when she learned that my transfer to Hogwarts was successful. It's been failing lately though so it seems like my hair will be green for a while. Not that I mind. It's better than pitch black." She said as she looked at the tip of her hair. She would ask her mother if she could change her hair to a different color when she went home for the holiday. It was really the only 'fun' thing that she and her mother shared that was not skill based. It was something odd really but Saffron had never been fond of natural hair colours. Her cousin Erica had naturally pink hair. Well as close to natural as one could get. The young girl was a metamorphmagus so she didn't even need to fiddle with spells or potions. Saffron on the other hand had to make due. She just hoped that the spell that made it green would not break down by the time summer came around.

"Yes. Unless the headmistress has something else to add to the little speech that came before our feast. Wonder what fasinating things can be found in the forest." She wondered. She left the spoon in her mouth for a moment as the through solidified in her head. "Want to go with me? Or are you apposed to bending one of the school rules?" Saffron dropped her voice so no one else could hear exactly what she was talking about. With all the noise around them it was easy.

"If I find a way into the kitchens I will show you them. They are small creatures with big pointy ears and sometimes pointy noses. Sometimes they are squashed like tomatoes but essentially they're all the same. They like to serve." Saffron said it if it was the most natural thing in the world. House elves! What next, centaurs in the Herbology unit?. Isabelle stared at Saffron for a second in amazement, then just smiled and shrugged. It probably was completely normal to her, at least. and to everyone else around her. Isabelle discreetly looked around to see if anyone had noticed her slip up. She needed to start getting more careful. "It's a spell. My mother taught it to me when she learned that my transfer to Hogwarts was successful. It's been failing lately though so it seems like my hair will be green for a while. Not that I mind. It's better than pitch black." Saffron answered Isabelle's question, looking at the tips of her hair. Isabelle started thinking, maybe later, Saffron might teach her that spell - it might come useful in some pranks, and Isabelle had always wondered what her hair would look like if it was red or blue.

Thinking in the long run, she started to drift off, thinking about perhaps attempting to buddy up with a Slytherin older than her. That might be a good idea. She really could use someone to teach her the ropes of Hogwarts. She looked at Saffron. Perhaps she and I could search for some people later - assuming she's going to become my friend. "Yes. Unless the headmistress has something else to add to the little speech that came before our feast. Wonder what fascinating things can be found in the forest." Saffron answered Isabelle's question, snapping her out of her daze. Forest? Oh, right the Forbidden Forest. That sounded intriguing. Saffron's spoon was dangling out of her mouth for several seconds before she whisked it out and set it down in her bowl. "Want to go with me? Or are you apposed to bending one of the school rules?" Saffron had dropped her voice, hiding the subject she was proposing under the noise that was all around them. Isabelle dropped her voice too, leaning in slightly. She cast her eyes lazily towards the Staff Table before turning back to Saffron.

"To the Forest? You couldn't pay me to not come - unless it was 50 Galleons or something." Isabelle smirked before continuing. "Let's talk about this later, in private." Isabelle surreptitiously jerked her head slightly behind her, signaling to Saffron older students could be listening in. She didn't want to risk an older student hearing their plans, no way. In Slytherin, she already had the feeling that spelt blackmail and fear, from most of them. She sat back up straighter as the Headmistress began speaking. The desserts had disappeared, Isabelle noted with a tinge of sadness. Oh well, she still had those sweets. And a near promise that she and Saffron might go explore for the house elves, who she assumed worked in the kitchen as well as cleaned, which meant a promise of food.

After receiving his house position, Marcus gladly trotted off to join the other Slytherins. He knew that he'd either be a Hufflepuff or a Slytherin and he would be proud to join either. Noticing everyone staring at him, he gave a short smile as he walked. He joined the rest of the house at their table. He kept to himself for a bit before turning to his left and noticing two first years talking. At least they had made friends.

Marc was never the outcast nor was he the one to be picked first in sports so being in an entirely new place with entirely new people was strange to him. He didn't know if he should introduce himself to the people sitting next to him, keep to himself, wait until someone spoke to him or what.

He sat himself up right but not so much that he looked like a snob. He knew the basics of psychology and knew that sitting yourself upright and not crossing your arms would show that you're open to discussion and letting people in. He gave a few nods to a few students that greeted him with glances and then turned to view the rest of the ceremony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back